4690 24 2022-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I went out driving with my atv on a really bumpy road and with really strong wind, and this is how it performed.
This is our main trail for atv and it is really bumpy with gravel and boulders, so it is a good trail for testing stabilization in cameras.
And I almost drowed my gopro 10 since I used it as secondary camera

2022-9-28
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Nice video test.  My guess is that most all the distracting wind noise should be cut out with a proper TRS stereo shotgun mic mounted.  In my tests - tiny USB-C omni can work - but not in windy situations because of the preamp gain.  They work a charm in light wind - and especially when you need your audio level boosted.

Once I get my OA3 will be able to confirm firsthand.  It all will come down to the preamp gain. If not good enough - will probably get the DJI Mic - and plug my shotgun into a transmitter.  It is amazing that right now all the distracting wind noise is 100% completely cut out using my shotgun.  Once you get clean stereo audio like that - you always want that.  You get spoiled.  I know that on the OA2 the 4 mics provided weird stereo audio.  Depending how the OA2 was positioned to the wind - the audio sounded too electronic processed and not realistic.

When you stopped for lunch and used both the OA3 and GoPro handheld - the OA3 internal mics sounded better vs the GoPro.  Maybe test if covering the 2 front mics with tape will cut wind noise more.  Just leave the wind panel bottom mic and see if this is a betterment or not.
2022-9-28
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

If only I had lav mic connected to my OA3 I also think the wind would be less noticable or completly gone. Usually I use an external recorder, but this time I only wanted to test how it worked in really strong wind. The last clip was actually shot with gopro and media mod so it let a lot of wind in the sound.

I will do a test with covering those front mics to see if it helps, not sure if I will find wind next time. But plan is to find a good solution for its use.
And I hope I will get my usb-c mic adapter soon.
2022-9-28
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Yeah would suspect a lav mic would cut most - if not all - the wind noise depending on placement. For all action cams the in-built mics have a tough time with high speed wind noise.  So my preference is to use external mics whenever possible.  For skiing or snowboarding however - will have to use the in-built mics - as having the USB-C connection exposed to snow is not a good idea.  Taping the front mics and adding foam around the bottom mic plate may help just enough.
2022-9-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks quite good!
2022-9-29
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Thank you, it does
2022-9-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
Yeah, I'm impressed.
2022-9-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, quite an impressive test and results.  

Gotta say that looks more like a rugged trail than a road.  
2022-9-29
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-29 02:50
Wow, quite an impressive test and results.  

Gotta say that looks more like a rugged trail than a road.

Haha..thank you
2022-9-29
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

Someone who has a OA3 needs to see if a USB C mic with a splitter for power banks will work.
I have one and it works perfectly on my Pixel 6 phone, charges and allows the use of the MIC.
If the OA3 supported this that would be great but who knows what parts of the Power Delivery protocol they implemented.
On the Action 2 it did not work, with both plugged in it would just use the last one plugged in and ignore either the mic or the power bank.
Hopefully Cynova comes out with a updated adapter like the one for the OA1, that was the best. I only got rid of my OA1 cams because the FOV was just too small for Kayak fishing.
2022-9-29
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

10-Bit Posted at 9-28 14:12
Yeah would suspect a lav mic would cut most - if not all - the wind noise depending on placement. For all action cams the in-built mics have a tough time with high speed wind noise.  So my preference is to use external mics whenever possible.  For skiing or snowboarding however - will have to use the in-built mics - as having the USB-C connection exposed to snow is not a good idea.  Taping the front mics and adding foam around the bottom mic plate may help just enough.

Stick on dead cats should work pretty good as long as they don't cover the sensor in the logo.
2022-9-29
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

snorkel Posted at 9-29 13:16
Stick on dead cats should work pretty good as long as they don't cover the sensor in the logo.

I will test this out when I find something to use there. A deadcat will cover the lens if not cutted properly.
2022-9-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're welcome.  
2022-9-30
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Enjoyed watching your video, great place to ride your ATV and nice choice of music. Sounds perfectly good to me.
I ride a maxi-scooter and mount my OA3 at the base of the screen so it's out front in the full blast of the wind, sure the filter cuts out the worst but I'm quite happy with the results though would like to try a Windslayer.
2023-1-7
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

m326 Posted at 1-7 12:29
Enjoyed watching your video, great place to ride your ATV and nice choice of music. Sounds perfectly good to me.
I ride a maxi-scooter and mount my OA3 at the base of the screen so it's out front in the full blast of the wind, sure the filter cuts out the worst but I'm quite happy with the results though would like to try a Windslayer.

Thank you!
I mostly wanted to test it out in really strong wind how it did handle with noise reduction on.
But having something to block the wind is needed if there is some wind indeed.

I have foam that I bought to both my OA1 and GP10 that I should tried on this OA3 also, but just putting some cotton or foam should help a lot.
2023-1-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A foam Windslayer works very well. I also believe on very windy days some wind noise is good and correct as it shows the true conditions on the day
2023-1-8
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I sometimes use a Windslayer, which works well in moderate wind. You can also trap a little bit of  cotton wool on top of the mic but  under the Windslayer.

Another alternative is to use a lav with a fluffy windbreaker, and place it under your coat. It can muffle the sound a bit, but that can easily be pulled up in post.  In heavy wind, even a fluffy windbreak can’t really avoid noise so the only answer is to just get it out of the wind really, whether sheltering in a corner or putting the mic under your clothing

Sometimes, I use a lav with a fluffy and when I use it, just hold it under the collar of my coat to avoid wind! You look like a spy, but it works.

If you want wind sound to add an 'effect' you can record it separately on a blank video and use the soundtrack and mix in as much or as little as you want. That way, you have much more control of it. I do that with ambience and birdsong on many videos that I make out in the countryside!

Where's all that snow gone?
2023-1-8
Use props
lutzmix
lvl.4
Germany

ultrawiide and rs +
,you dont see the dead cat,  use a trs adapter the sound are better than trrs input
IMG_20230108_102921.jpg
2023-1-8
Use props
djiuser_bnujs18WQQub
lvl.1

United Kingdom

lutzmix Posted at 1-8 03:03
ultrawiide and rs +
,you dont see the dead cat,  use a trs adapter the sound are better than trrs input[Image]

What external microphone are you using?
2023-1-30
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Osmo Action 3 with wind noise On

I feel if you are on top the camera its okay bu the Person asking me a question was clear as day, not wit hte Action 3.

2023-1-30
Use props
AR Imagery
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3838330 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hiya what mode did you have the stabilisation in please? I have been using Rocksteady but its still a little rough.... Anyone any suggestions for a mic that works with the osmo?
2023-5-8
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

AR Imagery Posted at 5-8 13:38
Hiya what mode did you have the stabilisation in please? I have been using Rocksteady but its still a little rough.... Anyone any suggestions for a mic that works with the osmo?

You asking me of Fish?
I had it in ordinary Rocksteady since it were no Rocksteady+ last year.

If you search through some of the threads here, you will wind some good tips for what work great or not as mic and/or mic adapters.
2023-5-8
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

AR Imagery Posted at 5-8 13:38

Johanesnfoto. offered his set up info.

kind of agree.   many mics out there and editors that can  help with EIS as well gimbals to offer wider  FOV etc...
2023-5-8
Use props
my_newdji
New

Indonesia

johansenfoto Posted at 2022-9-28 13:31
If only I had lav mic connected to my OA3 I also think the wind would be less noticable or completly gone. Usually I use an external recorder, but this time I only wanted to test how it worked in really strong wind. The last clip was actually shot with gopro and media mod so it let a lot of wind in the sound.

I will do a test with covering those front mics to see if it helps, not sure if I will find wind next time. But plan is to find a good solution for its use.

hi bro, i have found the adapter external mic for dji OA3. It is very cheap only USD7. Adapter external mic DJI https://youtu.be/NuSKHt6oABQOA3

adapter pic1

adapter pic1

adapter pic2

adapter pic2
2023-7-24
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

my_newdji Posted at 7-24 16:36
hi bro, i have found the adapter external mic for dji OA3. It is very cheap only USD7. Adapter external mic DJI https://youtu.be/NuSKHt6oABQOA3

Thanks for the tip, it do look great and it uses TRRS
2023-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules