1157 7 2022-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pedzsan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 153625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've had DJI products since the Inspire 1 and have never seen videos broken up at the 3m 45s (or 3.5G) by other DJI products.

I suppose this isn't a big deal but it just seems rather silly in today's time and age.

2022-9-28
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Totally agree  
2022-9-28
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

They use Fat32 for the file system and can only go up to 4GB.  Can easily be stitched together.

I heard various rumors about not being allowed to export something bigger than that, but not 100% sure about that.

I'm leaning towards the fact that Fat32 has a larger support base, so they picked that.
2022-9-28
Use props
pedzsan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 153625 ft
  • >>>
United States

A1C Posted at 9-28 10:37
They use Fat32 for the file system and can only go up to 4GB.  Can easily be stitched together.

I heard various rumors about not being allowed to export something bigger than that, but not 100% sure about that.

Yea.  That is the common notion but I hooked my Avata up to my Mac via a USB-C cable.  Both the internal and the SD card (that were formatted by the drone) are exFAT according to Disk Utilities.

I've since discovered that my old DJI Pocket cut the files just below the 4G limit.  My Mavic 3 Cine does not.  

As you say, it isn't a big deal but I wasn't expecting it.
2022-9-28
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

pedzsan Posted at 9-28 10:41
Yea.  That is the common notion but I hooked my Avata up to my Mac via a USB-C cable.  Both the internal and the SD card (that were formatted by the drone) are exFAT according to Disk Utilities.

I've since discovered that my old DJI Pocket cut the files just below the 4G limit.  My Mavic 3 Cine does not.  

I'm still about 10 days from getting my Avata, but I checked my mini 3, and yeah, it is exFat.  So the whole export thing may be a valid rumor.

On the positive side, if any file corruption occurs, you don't have to lose the whole session, but why not have it as an option?
2022-9-28
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

If you let the goggles 2 format the sd cards, it will format them in exFAT which supports greater than 4GB files, however, mine is formatted in exFAT and it still keeps each file less than 4GB, so my best guess is they are trying to keep the files small for better transfer to a phone. However, that being said, the goggles 2 records the whole flight in one file which is greater than 4GB, so go figure lol.
2022-9-28
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

FPVTrendz Posted at 9-28 12:54
If you let the goggles 2 format the sd cards, it will format them in exFAT which supports greater than 4GB files, however, mine is formatted in exFAT and it still keeps each file less than 4GB, so my best guess is they are trying to keep the files small for better transfer to a phone. However, that being said, the goggles 2 records the whole flight in one file which is greater than 4GB, so go figure lol.

What I think would have been a great way to mitigate this would be, before downloading the video files, to have an option to get all the individual files or to have them auto-stiched into one video file.

It would have to be smart enough, though, to know which files belong to which recording session.  I doubt you would want 3 separate sessions as one big blob.

This seems like a very simple feature that could be coded up but is probably at the bottom list.
2022-9-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there pedzsan. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you.
2022-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules