Can a single transmitter output true stereo using the 3.5mm TRS?
3180 17 2022-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Trying to confirm the answer to these questions.  If you connect a stereo shotgun mic into the mono transmitter using the 3.5mm TRS - can you output the audio tracks into left and right - and “get exactly the same stereo sound and effects” as if you connected the stereo mic into the camera directly?  

Or do you get mono sound only - simply split equally to the left and right channels - without capturing the true sounds coming from the left channel and the right channel?

My understanding is that the only way to get true stereo sound is to turn on both transmitters and assign one for the left channel and one for the right channel.

2022-9-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there 10-Bit. Thank you for reaching out and for these information that you have provided. Hi, may we please know which DJI product  or third party product do you want to use the DJI MIC ( https://www.dji.com/mic?site=brandsite&from=nav ) and kindly please describe more details of the connection method that you are using please. Thank you.
2022-9-29
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Specifically the Nikon ME-1 connected via the DJI Mic transmitter - plugging into the available 3.5mm TRS jack.  The Nikon is a stereo mic.  Also Sennheiser MKE-440 stereo mic.  Is true stereo audio captured using the 3.5mm or does the 3.5mm capture only mono?

2022-9-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A stereo mic with stereo 3.5mm plug will output a stereo signal.
If the transmitter is mono, this will convert to mono.
I'm not sure about the DJI Mic transmitter, which one are you referring to?
2022-9-29
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

The DJI has 2 transmitters and 1 receiver.  Each transmitter comes with a 3.5mm TRS input jack.  This 3.5 is typically used with a mono lav mic.  If a stereo shotgun mic is attached to the 3.5 - does it output stereo or only mono?  See item 5.  

2022-9-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

10-Bit Posted at 9-29 02:25
The DJI has 2 transmitters and 1 receiver.  Each transmitter comes with a 3.5mm TRS jack.  This 3.5 is typically used with a mono lav mic.  If a stereo shotgun mic is attached to the 3.5 - does it output stereo or only mono?  See item 5.  

[view_image][view_image]

If you reply to someone, it is best to hit that small reply link instead of type in the big text box below.
This way you will get a small popup and the user will get a notification
I will look into the transmitter.
2022-9-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

10-Bit Posted at 9-29 02:25
The DJI has 2 transmitters and 1 receiver.  Each transmitter comes with a 3.5mm TRS input jack.  This 3.5 is typically used with a mono lav mic.  If a stereo shotgun mic is attached to the 3.5 - does it output stereo or only mono?  See item 5.  

[view_image][view_image]

This was not very hard to find.
Taken from the manual:

5. 3.5 mm TRS Input
For connecting external microphone. DO NOT connect a microphone with a power supply of 24 V
or 48 V.

So the transmitter has a stereo input (TRS)
2022-9-29
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-29 02:27
If you reply to someone, it is best to hit that small reply link instead of type in the big text box below.
This way you will get a small popup and the user will get a notification  
I will look into the transmitter.

Appreciate that.  Am suspecting that someone at DJI Support knows the answer.  If each transmitter does not support stereo through the 3.5 - then if you want stereo from a shotgun - you must connect directly to the camera.

Our preference is to have a stereo sound stage with ambient - plus overlay a mono lav with vocals.  Especially applied to very windy shooting situations where low cut and dead cat are mandatory to minimize harsh wind noise.  I know a very specific use case application.  But one we encounter a lot.

2022-9-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

10-Bit Posted at 9-29 02:38
Appreciate that.  Am suspecting that someone at DJI Support knows the answer.  If each transmitter does not support stereo through the 3.5 - then if you want stereo from a shotgun - you must connect directly to the camera.

The transmitter and receiver are both having TRS plugs, so they are both capable of handling stereo signal.
Now the mic itself is mono, but it can handle stereo signal and will send that to the receiver as well. The only downside I read about is that the dongle to an iphone is MONO. But if you will record via the TRS output on the receiver, the signal appears to be stereo.
I don't have the DJI Mic yet, so I can't confirm this and am only basing this on what I read about it.  
2022-9-29
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-29 02:46
The transmitter and receiver are both having TRS plugs, so they are both capable of handling stereo signal.
Now the mic itself is mono, but it can handle stereo signal and will send that to the receiver as well. The only downside I read about is that the dongle to an iphone is MONO. But if you will record via the TRS output on the receiver, the signal appears to be stereo.
I don't have the DJI Mic yet, so I can't confirm this and am only basing this on what I read about it.

Very interesting.  It would amazing if DJI Support or another user could confirm this firsthand.
2022-9-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

10-Bit Posted at 9-29 02:49
Very interesting.  It would amazing if DJI Support or another user could confirm this firsthand.

Yeah, I'm interested as well, as I assumed the whole chain was stereo. And I still think it is stereo, but I can't find proof of that anywhere.

Now that I am diving more into it, I'm not sure if the DJI Mic is the right product for me TBH.
It is in essence 2 transmitters with a simple mic and one receiver.
The onboard mics don't seem to perform very well compared to a dedicated lavmic. And they are quite heavy to be mounted in the right spot.
The problem I'm reading about is that you will need a good lav mic if you want to use this for speech. So that would mean I would have to add 2 lavs to the whole setup if I want to use it for what I was planning to.
Maybe I'm better off getting one good lav mic, but I will dive into it more.  

2022-9-29
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-29 00:40
Hello there 10-Bit. Thank you for reaching out and for these information that you have provided. Hi, may we please know which DJI product  or third party product do you want to use the DJI MIC ( https://www.dji.com/mic?site=brandsite&from=nav ) and kindly please describe more details of the connection method that you are using please. Thank you.

So just to be clear.  Below are 2 waveforms - 1 for a stereo mic - 1 for a mono mic.  

My questions are:  When you attach a stereo mic to the 3.5mm TRS on the transmitter - does the receiver capture an independent stereo left channel + independent stereo right channel audio waveform?

Or does the receiver automatically convert the stereo audio into an identical mono left channel + identical mono right channel?  ie. the exact same waveform for both left and right channels

2022-9-29
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-29 03:41
Yeah, I'm interested as well, as I assumed the whole chain was stereo. And I still think it is stereo, but I can't find proof of that anywhere.

Now that I am diving more into it, I'm not sure if the DJI Mic is the right product for me TBH.

FYI and other forum users that are looking for this answer - DJI Support sent me this response:

“As per checking with the internal team, our DJI Mic must use two transmitters which can achieve stereo effect, if you only use one transmitter, it will only have Mono effect.”

This was my suspicion as each transmitter looks to only send a signal to one channel if you choose that option.  The only way to get stereo is to turn on and use both transmitters at the same time.  The alternate is to plug in our stereo mic directly into the USB-C - then in post overlay a separate mono lav track from another recorder.
2022-10-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

10-Bit Posted at 10-3 22:40
FYI and other forum users that are looking for this answer - DJI Support sent me this response:

“As per checking with the internal team, our DJI Mic must use two transmitters which can achieve stereo effect, if you only use one transmitter, it will only have Mono effect.”

Thanks for this confirmation.
So it looks like you are stuck to 2x mono transmission.
Which is not good for doing field recordings.
2022-10-3
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 10-3 22:41
Thanks for this confirmation.
So it looks like you are stuck to 2x mono transmission.
Which is not good for doing field recordings.

Apparently each transmitter can be set to send to one channel - ie one for left - one for right.  This will yield a net “stereo” effect.  You will hear one talent in one ear - the other talent in the other ear.  Not my idea of stereo.  

We will just bypass the wireless Mic and just hook up our Nikon stereo mic directly to the USB-C with a dongle and bob’s your uncle.
2022-10-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

10-Bit Posted at 10-3 22:47
Apparently each transmitter can be set to send to one channel - ie one for left - one for right.  This will yield a net “stereo” effect.  You will hear one talent in one ear - the other talent in the other ear.  Not my idea of stereo.  

We will just bypass the wireless Mic and just hook up our Nikon stereo mic directly to the USB-C with a dongle and bob’s your uncle.

It is clearly aimed at capturing voice, which is usually done in mono.
So for that purpose it works, but not as a wireless transmitter for a stereo mic.
Too bad.
2022-10-3
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 10-3 22:54
It is clearly aimed at capturing voice, which is usually done in mono.
So for that purpose it works, but not as a wireless transmitter for a stereo mic.
Too bad.

Yep. Especially vloggers recording at a distance to the cam.  For this the Mic works a charm and is a snap to hook up.  Many are now using this vs the Rode wireless system.
2022-10-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

10-Bit Posted at 10-3 22:59
Yep. Especially vloggers recording at a distance to the cam.  For this the Mic works a charm and is a snap to hook up.  Many are now using this vs the Rode wireless system.

I read about that indeed.
2022-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules