Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI AVATA an Epic Fail Drone from DJI due issues.
12345Next >
15973 172 2022-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Elendel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 458904 ft
Philippines

Due to the increasing numbers of sudden acceleration, misbehavior and evidently sudden left yaw issue in Manual mode that causes the drone to crash. The DJI AVATA is rapidly becoming an unsafe drone and can cause injuries when flown near or above people. This drone is supposed to be a safer drone because it has prop guards but in contrary this is a very unsafe drone to fly as of to date.

If DJI will not prioritize fixing those issues mentioned above, this is be the start of a campaign from other drone reviewers who has experience those issues not to recommend buying the DJI AVATA instead of promoting it.
2022-9-29
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Avata has 44 flights and 64 miles on her with absolutely no problems.
2022-9-29
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I get your concern and rant.. however, we are not allowed to fly over people in the USA. (yet)  This is a new product and has bugs.. DJI will work them out eventually. Be patient and CAREFUL.  That aside you need to know the basics of flight and physics... don't corner into a group of people or do something that may cause harm to another person or damage property should a prop fail/fall apart.  Do not fly in high winds or do sharp turns in manual mode, as this thing is top heavy... it will flip and the gyro/IMU can get confused... DJI will work that out in time maybe with fw updates. Don't forget that you are the pilot and responsible for any harm or damages. Not DJI.

Fly smart. Be safe.
2022-9-29
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

“It’s not the drone, it’s the pilot.”—Top Gun Maverick.
2022-9-29
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

Most of the "sudden" crashes have been because of pilot errors. You can't fly the Avata like a 5" Freestyle drone. The Avata has prop guards that create an excelled wind that creates prop wash during a sharp turn causing a tumble. When it goes into a tumble the gyro loses control and keeps it upside down. Now, I'm not saying that DJI can't add something to the firmware to fix this, all I'm saying is don't fly a cini-whoop like a 5" freestyle drone! A wise man once said... "just because you can don't mean you should!".

Now, that being said, the Avata does have some issues, like it resets the home point at will, and I have seen videos where people were just switching to manual mode mid-air and it fell to the ground.  But my point here is this... it's a cini-whoop so let's all fly it for what it's made for. Manual mode was just a way to allow the pilot more control while getting cinima-like videos, it was not intended for the pilot to start doing 60mph turns and loops and flips and other such stunts. Anyway, this is my opinion only and I'm sure others have their opinions as well lol.

The only issues I've had are the home point resetting and once it lost control while flying with the MC but that was before the September 14th update. I've flown probably 30+ flights with mine in manual mode (and I've even done flips and loops, so I'm guilty too lol).
2022-9-29
Use props
Elendel
lvl.4
Philippines

Fred Fred Fred Posted at 9-29 07:11
“It’s not the drone, it’s the pilot.”—Top Gun Maverick.

Those who showed and reviewed that the DJI AVATA has some issues are already expert pilots. With that Pilots were good, it is the aircraft that is faulty as of the moment.
2022-9-29
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Avata is a great toy, but yes it has some bugs in flight - fortunately for me no crashes yet
2022-9-30
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Page 59 of the manual, bullet point #9 offers a warning which I think most never see.
2022-9-30
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

This is highly exaggerated polemics that are of no use to anyone.  
I haven't had any such problems so far!
2022-9-30
Use props
djiuser_pz1BrvYEZTyp
New
Flight distance : 76752 ft
France

Je voudrais en 1er rappeler que les créateurs de cinewhoop sont bien à la base ce qui vol avec des drone de type racer et où freestyle ce n'est pas les pilotes de mavic qui on pensait à ce types de machine ça c'est dit et ne m'en fera pensait le contraire alor soyons constructif
Je suis (l'heureux) possesseurs alors oui les parenthèse et je m'en balek de ceux qui vont dire nianiania allez sur une autre poste moi ça me les brises que le bordel ce coupe quand il est pas content parce que dans son programme on lui à dit de couper lorsqu'il sera pas content à cause du vent alor la science et nianiania vortex... etc brutalité etc le bordel coûte 1800€ oui j'ai pris la total j'ai été convaincu par le marketing mais je inamovible qu'il ne soit pas codé pour lui expliqué que au lieu de coupé les gaz il ne ce mettent pas en pauses alors que c'est juste du propwash et que sur mon montage je couperer l'enregistrement mais être obligé d'aller le récupérer on ne sait où parce que il coupé RRrrrrrr
2022-9-30
Use props
djiuser_pz1BrvYEZTyp
New
Flight distance : 76752 ft
France

Je voudrais en 1er rappeler que les créateurs de cinewhoop sont bien à la base ce qui vol avec des drone de type racer et où freestyle ce n'est pas les pilotes de mavic qui on pensait à ce types de machine ça c'est dit et ne m'en fera pensait le contraire alor soyons constructif
Je suis (l'heureux) possesseurs alors oui les parenthèse et je m'en balek de ceux qui vont dire nianiania allez sur une autre poste moi ça me les brises que le bordel ce coupe quand il est pas content parce que dans son programme on lui à dit de couper lorsqu'il sera pas content à cause du vent alor la science et nianiania vortex... etc brutalité etc le bordel coûte 1800€ oui j'ai pris la total j'ai été convaincu par le marketing mais je comprend  pas qu'il soit  pas codé pour lui expliqué que au lieu de coupé les gaz il ne ce mettent pas en pauses, alors que c'est juste du propwash et que sur mon montage je couperer l'enregistrement mais être obligé d'aller le récupérer on ne sait où parce que il à coupé Rrrr
2022-9-30
Use props
deeve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 72864 ft
United States

I think some really good pilots are pushing this beyond what it was intended for intentionally or not.  I would anticipate some FW fixes, but calling it defective or problematic feels a little naive and lack of understanding of the flight parameters.  I appreciate the expert pilots who pushed the drone beyond the envelop and showed where the edge was.  I am fully a novice pilot but after hearing a few very knowledge people explain what is going on I do believe it is people not understanding the type of machine they are flying. Heck, full size aircraft have to flown within boundaries of design. These are no different.
2022-9-30
Use props
Lucas626
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're not suppose to fly near or above people.  No problems with my Avata so far.  

Ingat ka pare!

2022-9-30
Use props
Elendel
lvl.4
Philippines

Lucas626 Posted at 9-30 21:06
You're not suppose to fly near or above people.  No problems with my Avata so far.  

Ingat ka pare!
Yes we all know that we are not supposed to be flying above people but when you are flying high in the sky and the drone became faulty because of the issue especially when you yaw to the left just like those review videos  and the drone came in free falling can you still monitor the people below where the drone will fall? Thats what I'm pointing out here.
2022-10-1
Use props
Lucas626
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Elendel Posted at 10-1 03:49
Yes we all know that we are not supposed to be flying above people but when you are flying high in the sky and the drone became faulty because of the issue especially when you yaw to the left just like those review videos  and the drone came in free falling can you still monitor the people below where the drone will fall? Thats what I'm pointing out here.

Hopefully DJI will fix this problem.
2022-10-2
Use props
Elendel
lvl.4
Philippines

Lucas626 Posted at 10-2 08:43
Hopefully DJI will fix this problem.

Yeah or else this campaign video posted against DJI and the DJI AVATA won't be the last to be uploaded by the reviewers. The issue is all over the internet and many are already being made aware of it.

2022-10-2
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

Elendel Posted at 9-29 15:32
Those who showed and reviewed that the DJI AVATA has some issues are already expert pilots. With that Pilots were good, it is the aircraft that is faulty as of the moment.

Maybe this showed that those pilots were not so "expert" after all, when they don't understand the limits of cinewhoops and the reason for yaw washout.
2022-10-3
Use props
Elendel
lvl.4
Philippines

nosnoop Posted at 10-3 00:32
Maybe this showed that those pilots were not so "expert" after all, when they don't understand the limits of cinewhoops and the reason for yaw washout.
Well, we can thank them later for pointing the issues out since DJI have acknowledged it and communicating with those "EXPERT" pilots who doesnt understand how cinewhoop works just like you said once the next firmware update is released.
20221003_163557.png
2022-10-3
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Canada

Elendel Posted at 10-3 00:37
Well, we can thank them later for pointing the issues out since DJI have acknowledged it and communicating with those "EXPERT" pilots who doesnt understand how cinewhoop works just like you said once the next firmware update is released.

I think new firmware may help to stabilize the drone a bit better when it becomes unstable.
But the pilot still should have avoided putting the drone in that position in the first place.
2022-10-3
Use props
Elendel
lvl.4
Philippines

nosnoop Posted at 10-3 00:43
I think new firmware may help to stabilize the drone a bit better when it becomes unstable.
But the pilot still should have avoided putting the drone in that position in the first place.
We are all but a consumer from this drone, if the new firmware will help solve the problem of misbehaving and sudden crashing then it is a WIN-WIN situation for us. Those pilots have been flying FPV drone for years. I'm pretty sure they know the limits and what can be improved and also what is dangerous. And they are all making us a favor for showing that the DJI AVATA is as of the moment has bugs.
2022-10-3
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Canada

Elendel Posted at 10-3 00:46
We are all but a consumer from this drone, if the new firmware will help solve the problem of misbehaving and sudden crashing then it is a WIN-WIN situation for us. Those pilots have bren flying FPV drone for years. I'm pretty sure they know the limits and what can be improved.

Check out this other thread where other experienced pilots explained why this is happening.
Of course, if DJI do some magic to prevent a crash, that would be great.   But you are now counting on DJI to save the drone from a pilot error.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D780%26typeid%3D780
2022-10-3
Use props
Elendel
lvl.4
Philippines

nosnoop Posted at 10-3 00:50
Check out this other thread where other experienced pilots explained why this is happening.
Of course, if DJI do some magic to prevent a crash, that would be great.   But you are now counting on DJI to save the drone from a pilot error.

You keep on pointing out that it was a pilot error. Isnt it DJI included in their advetisement that the drone is both for begineer and seasonal pilots who have been flying FPVs for years? Then you should have known. Unless you are from DJI company who keeps on claiming that it was all a pilot error. They shouldnt have included manual flight if a simple  SHARP LEFT TURN YAW will crash the drone.
2022-10-3
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Canada

Elendel Posted at 10-3 00:55
You keep on pointing out that it was a pilot error. Isnt it DJI included in their advetisement that the drone is both for begineer and seasonal pilots who have been flying FPVs for years? Then you should have known. Unless you are from DJI company who keeps on claiming that it was all a pilot error. They shouldnt have included manual flight if a simple  SHARP LEFT TURN YAW will crash the drone.

I posted because I don't quite agree with your title.
Of course, Avata's design makes it more prone to the instability that some has experienced, and Avata's firmware may not help when the drone tumbles.
But the pilot needs to be aware of the limitations, which many of those youtubers clearly did not.

Do note that some users replied above in this very thread that they had absolutely no problem (including "simple sharp left turn").

You may want to fault DJI's advertising and marketing for giving you the wrong impression.
But it is by no means an "Epic Fail Drone".
2022-10-3
Use props
Elendel
lvl.4
Philippines

nosnoop Posted at 10-3 01:08
I posted because I don't quite agree with your title.
Of course, Avata's design makes it more prone to the instability that some has experienced, and Avata's firmware may not help when the drone tumbles.
But the pilot needs to be aware of the limitations, which many of those youtubers did not.
My title says "An Epic Fail Drone due to issues". If you have no problem with your flying style then that is good, those who pointed out and made DJI aware of the issues "NOT KNOWN and EXPERIENCED" by those who replied above, you should be glad since we will all benefit from this once DJI made a fix fimware update. If it was fixed then the DJI AVATA will no longer be an epic fail drone.
2022-10-3
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think that the issues ae that the FC reaches a point of no return when completing hard turns or actions that provide or cause propwash. there have been reports of the drone getting caught in it's own vortex of air (more or less the same as propwash) and the FC just bails out, instead of trying to rectify the interference to it's stabilisation. Every kwad or drone is subject to this if flown in a manner where it causes the vortex / propwash effect. Where normally it would cause a slight judder in the goggles or the recorded footage, it's a lot up to the pilot to fly in a way that befits the craft and to have an understanding of the effects of propwash. In some ways it's no different ot actual full sized planes and aircraft. They too are submitted to the same factors as kwads / drones when pulling off moves that put the craft and pilot to the test. It's certainly not a massive issue in the FB groups and such. I have been keeping an eye on issues and possible causes on FB and to now, do not deem it as a drone that suits my purposes - Yet. The main thing for me though is being in the uK and the seemingly useless power and range in CE mode. Yes, there's the hacks that have obviously appeared, but come on DJI....The range and power cap for CE users is beyond useless to many experienced pilots.
2022-10-3
Use props
PhanFran
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Elendel Posted at 10-1 03:49

The point is that you should fly far enough from people that even the circumstances you describe cannot result in harm to people.
This is a drone that is much more dangerous than the 'flying cameras'' like Mavic 3 etc.
So keep it (much) farther away from people.
2022-10-3
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lucas626 Posted at 9-30 21:06

Ingat ka pare!

Well...technically you can fly over people.  The Amended rule went into effect April 21, 2021 and requires a Part 107 license (just to clarify).  If you’re flying "recreationally", you still can NOT fly over people and vehicles.  

2022-10-3
Use props
Elendel
lvl.4
Philippines

Another video review recommending not to Buy the DJI AVATA because of the issue.
2022-10-3
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Elendel Posted at 10-2 22:42
Yeah or else this campaign video posted against DJI and the DJI AVATA won't be the last to be uploaded by the reviewers. The issue is all over the internet and many are already being made aware of it.

DJI AVATA FALLING OUT IN THE SKY CAMPAIGN

Its also called "content creation" ooh there is a problem, time to make another video! generates clicks, thats why more people keep talking about it.

Ok, I made a topic to collect all the crash video... best part, not a single @dji person has responded on it...
2022-10-3
Use props
Elendel
lvl.4
Philippines

Nees Posted at 10-3 15:54
Its also called "content creation" ooh there is a problem, time to make another video! generates clicks, thats why more people keep talking about it.

Ok, I made a topic to collect all the crash video... best part, not a single @dji person has responded on it...

Which side will you take? Is it the company that only concerns sales and not addressing the issue of their product or those reviewers who make time to show to the public that as of the moment this DJI AVATA has issues that buyers should be aware of and to think more than twice when getting the DJI AVATA.
2022-10-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry if you are having trouble with your DJI Avata drone. Rest assured that we loved to hear or gather our customer's inquiries or concerns about the new DJI Avata and provide possible troubleshooting on their issues. If you have some recommendations or suggestions for us to possibly apply to the DJI Avata in the future, please feel free to reach us or please let us know the detailed issue of your unit so we can address it on our end. Thank you for your valued support and wish you a wonderful day ahead. Take care always.
2022-10-4
Use props
djiuser_p7XRvTJAMy6D
lvl.2
Flight distance : 193967 ft
Italy

I already watched the video you linked in the posts about the "tumble" guys. This is not really a pilot error, because the tumble with dji avata could happen in any moment with just a bit of wind coming against, or as i experienced turning very fast making the opposite force, you could get this problem in any turn at any time, and the drone will fall for at least 4 or 5 meters before you could recover it from crash with the controller, if you watch the video, you will see an easy turn from that guy and the drone crashes like nothing.

If i understood well, happens that one of the motor goes OFF due to a desync and the drone starts rotating because of the unbalanced power from the other 3 motors. So yes, this should be definly be fixed by dji, and plus, dji avata comes out without any information of the motors and only DJI can get the data log from the drone to see what happened.

If the problem is that one of the motor goes off, maybe it could be a solution coding something that makes this:

- "if 3 motors are still working and 1 goes OFF, the third must restart as quick as possibile or the drone must fast switch into N mode to re-balance the drone and the 4 motors"
or
-"If the power of 1 motor goes out of sync, the drone must switch directly into N mode, or the system must re-sync the 4 motors"
or
-"A code that make sure that the motors will not go out of sync"

I hope that dji comes out with a solution for that, it could be software side as i suggested above, or maybe an upgrade for props,  motors or a rework of the frame, which this last could help a lot against the external forces that causes the problem.

To be honest, i have been very upset about that, because, briefly, if you get your drone crashed because of this problem, you could never prove it not having access to the logs,
especially if it happens in the water and you lose the drone, you could never prove that the drone went in the water because of this and if you have the care refresh is void. This is extremly unfair.
2022-10-4
Use props
JAMh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4754715 ft
  • >>>
Spain

a real professional analysis:

Geometry and physics.
No strange misteries
PD: info from https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D780%26typeid%3D780 post
2022-10-4
Use props
fans49ac57aa
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124590 ft
United States

JAMh Posted at 10-4 15:20
a real professional analysis:

If you know anything about quads that video is laughable at best.

I've been flying DJI drones since the Phantom 2 and FPV for almost 4 years.

I have several self built and one pre-built Cinewhoops. NONE of them flip upside when I yaw left, or right for that matter. I can do yaw spins with them and they don't flip upside down. While they don't fly like my 5" freestyle quads and have a lot more prop wash you can still do mild freestyle with them. There's a guy on YouTube that is using the Avata for freestyle.

The behavior displayed by the Avata when yawing left looks more like a desync. I've had a few different quads over the years that have had desync issues. My most recent one would fly fine until I did a punch-out. Then the 4-in-1 ESC would send full power to all motors but one and the quad would go into a spiral that was impossible to come out of.

If that video was correct it would happen with every Avata but it's not and that's what makes me think it's a desync issues.
2022-10-4
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

Seems like the fix that DJI may do because of all the complaints is to secretly put in a future update that locks attitude mode in manual so no freestyle can even be done with it. I hope they don't but they may have to in order to stop people from trying to fly it like a 5" acro freestyle drone. I've had no issues with mine at all in manual mode, but then again, I was not flying it like I stole it LOL.
2022-10-4
Use props
Elendel
lvl.4
Philippines

fans49ac57aa Posted at 10-4 16:12
If you know anything about quads that video is laughable at best.

I've been flying DJI drones since the Phantom 2 and FPV for almost 4 years.

It was also mentioned in the video below. And YES according to the reviewer, DJI is keeping us all in the dark. Keep on crashing due to the drone issue and they will keep on milking you for the repairs and replacement fee.

2022-10-4
Use props
bp328i
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124590 ft
United States

Elendel Posted at 10-4 18:59
It was also mentioned in the video below. And YES according to the reviewer, DJI is keeping us all in the dark. Keep on crashing due to the drone issue and they will keep on milking you for the repairs and replacement fee.

https://youtu.be/8uGYI7ke53g

That video makes a lot more sense, his first one, not so much.

DJI isn't milking me because I won't buy the Avata unless is comes in a combo with the RC2 controller.

I would like the Avata for travel because not dealing with standard LiPos when traveling would be nice and for the most part the Avata seems like a nice blend between a normal FPV quad and a GPS drone.

Now with these issues I won't buy it until they are confirmed fixed and there is a combo with the RC2.
2022-10-4
Use props
Jaydem_ks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 193967 ft
Italy

FPVTrendz Posted at 10-4 18:21
Seems like the fix that DJI may do because of all the complaints is to secretly put in a future update that locks attitude mode in manual so no freestyle can even be done with it. I hope they don't but they may have to in order to stop people from trying to fly it like a 5" acro freestyle drone. I've had no issues with mine at all in manual mode, but then again, I was not flying it like I stole it LOL.

If they do something like that on the Avata, probably the entire world will ask for a refund. I would do the same.

It's not a question of complain, it's quite easy:

If i have a drone that can yaw on the right side without any problem in almost many scenarios, it is unaccettable that does not work on the left side as it do on the right side.

There is not need of discussion, or physics calculation or geometry discussion.
The drone must work just fine.

It's like you buy a new brand car, then you turn right and it turns very well, then you turn in the same way on the left and you crash because of an issue.
2022-10-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Elendel Posted at 10-4 18:59
It was also mentioned in the video below. And YES according to the reviewer, DJI is keeping us all in the dark. Keep on crashing due to the drone issue and they will keep on milking you for the repairs and replacement fee.

https://youtu.be/8uGYI7ke53g

I don’t normally agree with this guy but he makes a Great case for this being pilot error and he does it comprehensively. I think this is mainly down to haters as is very apparent on you tube and bad pilots.

2022-10-5
Use props
Elendel
lvl.4
Philippines

hallmark007 Posted at 10-5 08:52
I don’t normally agree with this guy but he makes a Great case for this being pilot error and he does it comprehensively. I think this is mainly down to haters as is very apparent on you tube and bad pilots.

https://youtu.be/VG7QzltCJMM

Apparently some reviewers are posting that DJI acknowledged the issue. I hope so, and they really need to address the issue especially that most are telling DJI that it is a desync on one of the motors that causes the issue.

Here is the video
2022-10-5
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules