Cannot connect OA3 with Mimo app and therefore cannot activate it.
1525 30 2022-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kruisr
lvl.2

Germany

Hello

The OA3 must be activated before use. To do this, you (unfortunately) have to connect it to the Mimo app (V1.8.2225854). I don't need this app at all. However, the app does not find the device. I already know this problem from the OA1. There it was due to the Ghz wifi setting. The OA3 is per default on 2.x Ghz and can NOT be changed in the settings to 5.x Ghz. I don't know why.

The camera can no longer be used because all attempts (you only have 5) are used up. What do I do now?

I can say this is a pretty bad user experience.

UPDATE: The Mimo app does not recognize the OA3 on a Google Pixel 5 (with the latest Android). With an old Gigaset with Android 10, however, it recognizes the OA3. Maybe you should show on the sales page which Android smartphones are NOT compatible with the DJI Mimo app? Then you could reduce support requests. Nevertheless: This is not a good user experience.
2022-9-29
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-29
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

You connect with wifi to OA3 from your phone (and bluetooth), not with home wifi.
2022-9-29
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

Also if you have Android 13 (which was released officially to all Pixels at the beginning of this month and is in preview on a bunch of other phones) then you also will not be able to connect and activate.  Because why would DJI prepare for this, it's only been in preview for 7 months.  
2022-9-29
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-29
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Kruisr. I am sorry to read and to know about this issue with your DJI Osmo Action 3 and thank you for giving out these information. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please for us to be able to isolate the issue? Thank you.
2022-9-29
Use props
Kruisr
lvl.2

Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 9-29 09:24
You connect with wifi to OA3 from your phone (and bluetooth), not with home wifi.

There was a stupid text here.
2022-9-29
Use props
Kruisr
lvl.2

Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-29 21:21
Hello there Kruisr. I am sorry to read and to know about this issue with your DJI Osmo Action 3 and thank you for giving out these information. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please for us to be able to isolate the issue? Thank you.

I have now solved this myself. See the initial posting.

What do customers do who only have one smartphone?
2022-9-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Kruisr Posted at 9-29 21:43

What do customers do who only have one smartphone?

Hi there Kruisr. Thank you for the reply and it is great to know that you have already rectified the issue. Kindly please rest assured that  support for additional devices available as testing and development continues, kindly please refer to the DJI Mimo application product page for information regarding compatibility with specific devices. Thank you.
2022-9-29
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Kruisr Posted at 9-29 21:38
There was a stupid text here.
(deleted my answer because of misunderstanding)
2022-9-30
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

There is a post under Pocket 2  where there lists of phones that works or not.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D765%26typeid%3D765

2022-9-30
Use props
Kruisr
lvl.2

Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 9-30 00:24
Can you explain why it was stupid?
I guess you actually doesn't know what wifi are?

You misunderstand. MY post was stupid. I just replaced the text. But thanks for the kind help.
2022-9-30
Use props
Kruisr
lvl.2

Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 9-30 00:29
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=235190&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D765%26typeid%3D765

Thx a lot. However, the Gigaset, for example, is not listed there - but it still works.
2022-9-30
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Kruisr Posted at 9-30 01:17
You misunderstand. MY post was stupid. I just replaced the text. But thanks for the kind help.

Ah. I didn't check who wrote it so I just answered
2022-9-30
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Kruisr Posted at 9-30 01:19
Thx a lot. However, the Gigaset, for example, is not listed there - but it still works.

There is probably some phones that should been posted or changed there. But you could always write an answer to his post so he will update it
2022-9-30
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I find it is not keen to connect to the app even though it is detected via bluetooth - at home the phone is already on home wifi and is reluctant to change to the camera which it must do to see an image or adjust settings.
If your phone isn't getting mobile signal there is a problem area in that while on camera wifi it can't download updates!
Not sure how the activation works either if you are on camera wifi to connect to it and consequently have no internet - if there is no mobile phone coverage e.g. Here.
Anyway I managed it initially by walking out of range of home wifi later tests suggest turning (phone) wifi off then on after bluetooth detects camera probably work.
It is clunky at best.
I might suggest anyone having problems it might help to get away from their connected wifi to an area with good mobile data signal.
The pocket 2 can be connected to app by cable that would be useful option but does not seem to work with Action 3
2022-10-5
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

4wd Posted at 10-5 02:30
I find it is not keen to connect to the app even though it is detected via bluetooth - at home the phone is already on home wifi and is reluctant to change to the camera which it must do to see an image or adjust settings.
If your phone isn't getting mobile signal there is a problem area in that while on camera wifi it can't download updates!
Not sure how the activation works either if you are on camera wifi to connect to it and consequently have no internet - if there is no mobile phone coverage e.g. Here.

Yesterday when updating to beta firmware I had to turn wifi off and on again for it to connect. But that's because I have set my Android phone to not change wifi automatic (drone issues).
2022-10-5
Use props
sentigen
lvl.1

Canada

johansenfoto Posted at 9-30 00:29
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=235190&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D765%26typeid%3D765

OMG that thread is huge.  What does that say about this whole awful process of activation?
2022-10-9
Use props
actionxander
lvl.2
Flight distance : 150505 ft
United States

I'm on a Google Pixel 4a and I am encountering this same issue. Can't seem to locate my OA3 on my DJI Mimo App (I have Android 13 and latest Mimo firmware). Down to my last three "attempts" before my OA3 becomes an expensive paperweight
2022-10-10
Use props
fans417eb478
New

United States

Kruisr Posted at 9-29 21:43

What do customers do who only have one smartphone?

yeah like me, got the Action 3 this afternoon, and I can't use it.  So frustrating.
2022-10-12
Use props
Zeno22
lvl.2
Switzerland

DJI has to lauch a PC/Apple version of this stupid Mimo App!!! Plug the camera into the computer, solve all firmware etc. issues and GO. Simple as that!
What´s with people that have NO Smartphone? No smartphone, no camera? Are you kidding me??? Come on!

DJI wake up!
2022-10-15
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you on Android 13?
I had same issue on my Pixel 6pro, dug out my old phone and was able to connect.
2022-10-16
Use props
SeehawerB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Same problem here!

Got my Osmo Action 3 today. Activation via my Samsung Galaxy S20 5G over Mimo App worked, but after that OA3 never reconnected successfully!
Took out my Galaxy Tab Action3 (yes, that's the real name) and tried out there, connection worked at once. The updatet the firmware of the OA3 with the Tab to V01.02.1010 and tried connecting to the S20 5G again. Still does not connect.

Mimo App current version. Phone fully patched. Camera return to factory defaults did not help either.

DJI, what's the problem with the Mimo App?
2023-2-25
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

SeehawerB Posted at 2-25 07:44
Same problem here!

Got my Osmo Action 3 today. Activation via my Samsung Galaxy S20 5G over Mimo App worked, but after that OA3 never reconnected successfully!

DJI Mimo and DJI Fly is two of the apps that doesn't work with a lot of Samsung phones and/or Samsung doesn't like them.
2023-2-25
Use props
SeehawerB
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Got other DJI devices the Mimo App works flawless. Osmo Pocket f.i.. It's a device dependent problem.
2023-2-25
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Worked fine on my Galaxy Z Fold 4, and all of the sudden, won't connect. The phone sees it, WiFi connects, but stuck in a vicious circle of "Connect", "Not Connected."

Possibly the One UI 5.1 update that killed it?
Continues to work fine with my old Note 10+.
2023-2-27
Use props
SeehawerB
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

SeehawerB Posted at 2-25 07:44
Same problem here!

I have to correct myself: Connection between OA3 and my Samsung Galaxy S20 5G via MIMO App is possible! The problem was the Google VPN, even while connected to my home WiFi. After disabling the Google VPN, MIMO did connect to the camera right away.

So for me the problem is solved, was a failure on my side.

Info: Google VPN is part of a paid subscription within Google Drive, so presumably most people do not have this option at all.
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

johansenfoto Posted at 2022-9-30 00:29

I am the person who originally created the thread, and from that moment onwards, the community here has made an astonishing job in helping people find the proper phones, tablets and tips for helping solve their connection problems with the Pocket 2 by replying and reporting their troubleshooting tips and the devices they have tested. So thanks for everybody who has contributed to that.

While I do think the tips could help with some other MIMO-based DJI devices, and would find it very nice if it actually does, I would like to remind that the list is first and foremost intended for the Pocket 2. I unfortunately cannot give any guarantees that it will work with other handheld DJI devices such as the Action series and the other handheld gimbals. However, do feel free to test these tips for your devices if they don't work straight away, I do not think trying them is harmful for your phone or device.

Also, if somebody else wants to make a similar list to the other DJI handheld devices using the Mimo app, and wants to use my list as a base for it, I, for my own behalf, give a permission to do this AS FAR AS THE OTHER ORIGINAL CONTRIBUTORS ARE CREDITED ON IT. For myself, it is not absolutely necessary, but I may not know the motivations or wishes of the other contributors, and cannot say if they do or don't mind not being mentioned on the list for their own behalf.

That being said, the reason for the existence of the thread is to help as many people as possible to get the chance to activate and use their cameras, so I do welcome any use that helps this purpose. Good luck in activating and happy filming
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Kruisr Posted at 2022-9-30 01:19

If somebody happens to test the Gigaset models with the Pocket 2, I would be very happy to hear about the results. So feel free to reply to the thread if you have those
2023-4-3
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

SeehawerB Posted at 4-3 00:24
I have to correct myself: Connection between OA3 and my Samsung Galaxy S20 5G via MIMO App is possible! The problem was the Google VPN, even while connected to my home WiFi. After disabling the Google VPN, MIMO did connect to the camera right away.

So for me the problem is solved, was a failure on my side.

Google VPN!? LOL, isn’t that an oxymoron?
2023-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules