Focus BMPCC4k through RS2?
2549 9 2022-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RadicalBob
lvl.1

United States

I have an RS2 with a Raveneye and Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k, which is currently outfitted with a zoom lens which has electronic focus. My goal is to control this lens's focus through the RS2 - either hands-on, or remotely via the app. As far as I can tell, the only option any of the DJI apps have for focus control is via the Focus Motor - this is a great gadget, but I'm using it to control zoom on this lens. Plus, for any lens with electronic focus, I'd rather not use the Focus Motor at all, and save the battery/cabling/complexity.

It looks like the latest RS2 firmware update adds "tap to zoom" for some Sony cameras - half-push the record button to autofocus. This does not appear to work with the BMPCC4k. The 4k DOES allow manual focus control through the Blackmagic app, or with certain wired USB accessories - but neither the DJI app nor the RS2 provide controls for that, as far as I can tell.

Is there a way today - with the RS2 itself, the Raveneye, or through the DJI app - to pull focus on the BMPCC4k? The push-to-autofocus option would be a great help; even better would be manual control through a dial or slider.

2022-10-1
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

old firmware versions of the RS-2 has allowed to manual focus with the raven eye app
but the last 2 or 3 does not : -(
2022-10-1
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Update:
Sorry for the late reply.
We have confirmed with the relevant team. Currently if the RS2 is connected with the BMPCC4K to the camera control line, it supports the electronically controlled follow focus function (controls the camera to focus manually), but does not support the control zoom function
If the BMPCC4K needs to realize the zoom function, it currently only supports the use of a follow focus motor to control the lens of its camera (a zoom lens is required) to achieve this.

Thank you for your support.
2022-10-5
Use props
RadicalBob
lvl.1

United States

Hi Natalia, thank you for following up.

First, I've confirmed that this works for me. With the camera connected to the RS2 and the Dial Function set to Zoom/Focus, I can control focus from the RS2 handle. This is great.

Second, let's ignore zoom in the rest of the conversation - I think it's just going to confuse the issue, and remote focus control is my main interest.

So here is what I'm seeking now:

- Can I control the electronic focus remotely from the DJI app? Currently, no I cannot; in the app's RS2 view, there is no tile for the Focus Control screen unless I have the focus motor attached. Is there another way to access focus control in the app?

- Can I control electronic focus while using the RavenEye? As far as I can tell, not at all; with the RS2 connected through the Image Transmission/Accessory port to the RavenEye, and the RavenEye's RSS port connected to the camera's RSS port, the dial no longer controls electronic focus. Furthermore, the app (in RavenEye mode) only asks me to calibrate the focus motor to access focus control.

I may be overlooking something. It appears there is no way to control focus remotely, though. The absolutely most useful solution here will be to control electronic focus through the RavenEye. What can I do?
2022-10-6
Use props
RadicalBob
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 10-5 18:13
Update:
Sorry for the late reply.
We have confirmed with the relevant team. Currently if the RS2 is connected with the BMPCC4K to the camera control line, it supports the electronically controlled follow focus function (controls the camera to focus manually), but does not support the control zoom function

Hello Natalia - hoping to confirm you've seen my followup note. The features do not seem to be working in the latest version of the app/firmware.
2022-10-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

RadicalBob Posted at 10-11 14:42
Hello Natalia - hoping to confirm you've seen my followup note. The features do not seem to be working in the latest version of the app/firmware.

Hi, there.
Sorry for missing your questions, we will confirm with the relevant team and keep you updated here.
Please note that if you have any questions later, you can send me a PM or reply to my answer so that I can check it and follow up.
Thank you in advance.
2022-10-11
Use props
RadicalBob
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 10-11 17:32
Hi, there.
Sorry for missing your questions, we will confirm with the relevant team and keep you updated here.
Please note that if you have any questions later, you can send me a PM or reply to my answer so that I can check it and follow up.

No apology necessary, Natalia - only making sure the note didn't slip through the cracks In the future, I'll PM you directly with followups.

Thank you for your ongoing help. I appreciate you.
2022-10-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

RadicalBob Posted at 10-11 18:05
No apology necessary, Natalia - only making sure the note didn't slip through the cracks  In the future, I'll PM you directly with followups.

Thank you for your ongoing help. I appreciate you.

Update:
Please check the following details:
1. If you need to remotely control the follow focus, you need to match the follow focus motor; after matching the follow focus motor, you can turn on the follow focus control on the image transmission interface, and use the Ronin APP to control the rotation of the follow focus motor; currently, the Ronin APP does not Support to click the screen to focus through the image transmission interface or to control the camera follow focus through the APP when an external follow focus motor is connected;
2. If the camera is connected to the RSS interface uploaded by Raveneye through the camera control cable, and the camera control cable is not connected to the RSS interface of the gimbal, the follow focus cannot be controlled through the front pulsator of the gimbal; It is normal to perform the follow focus control of the external motor after calibrating the follow focus motor. Before using the follow focus motor to control the follow focus, please calibrate the stroke of the follow focus motor as required to improve the operating experience;
3. We will also forward feedback on your need to control the electronic focus through the Raveneye image transmission interface or remotely realize the electronic control focus without a follow-focus motor
2022-10-15
Use props
RadicalBob
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 10-15 19:41
Update:
Please check the following details:
1. If you need to remotely control the follow focus, you need to match the follow focus motor; after matching the follow focus motor, you can turn on the follow focus control on the image transmission interface, and use the Ronin APP to control the rotation of the follow focus motor; currently, the Ronin APP does not Support to click the screen to focus through the image transmission interface or to control the camera follow focus through the APP when an external follow focus motor is connected;

Thanks for following up, Natalia.

Fully understood on all points. Unfortunately, the only part of this I was having trouble with is the electronic focus, which is unsupported.

I'll keep an eye out for updates. Thanks again.
2022-10-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

RadicalBob Posted at 10-16 09:24
Thanks for following up, Natalia.

Fully understood on all points. Unfortunately, the only part of this I was having trouble with is the electronic focus, which is unsupported.

Thanks for your soon update as well.
If you need any other support, please just let us know.
2022-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules