Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Charging Avata batteries at 45 watts
7126 15 2022-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

The Avata Adapter (Single Charge) says that the input can be 9 volts at 5 amps (45 watts).  Is there a USB wall power supply that can provide this?  I have tried a Samsung fast charging wall wart that provides 3 amps, but my inline meter says it is charging at 5V 2A.  I'm not sure fast (PPS) charging can be negotiated with the meter in between.  Searching for a power supply that can provide 5 amps at 9 volts to the Avata adapter turns up nothing.  Has anybody been able to find something that works with the Avata adapter such that battery charging is as fast as possible (9V/5A)?  Thanks!
2022-10-1
Use props
Brlux
lvl.1

United States

It needs to be an adapter with USB-C, no adapters with USB-A  will support more than about 10W charging rate. The communication protocol for negotiating the power is called Power Delivery (PD). So you will need a PD USB-C charger capable of up to 45W. FYI the fly more 4 bay charger supports up to 65W charge, so if you expect to get that any time you might want to be looking for a 65W or larger USB-C power adapter. The nice thing about charging over USB-C is there are also lots of car charger adapters.

Here is an affordable 45W adapter I recently got, it works well but does have a slight audible buzz.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096M5 ... t_b_product_details
2022-10-1
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

Brlux Posted at 10-1 14:44
It needs to be an adapter with USB-C, no adapters with USB-A  will support more than about 10W charging rate. The communication protocol for negotiating the power is called Power Delivery (PD). So you will need a PD USB-C charger capable of up to 45W. FYI the fly more 4 bay charger supports up to 65W charge, so if you expect to get that any time you might want to be looking for a 65W or larger USB-C power adapter. The nice thing about charging over USB-C is there are also lots of car charger adapters.

Here is an affordable 45W adapter I recently got, it works well but does have a slight audible buzz.

OK, thanks.  My Samsung S21 charger does have USB-C only (no USB-A in the loop) and PPS negotiation, but the inline meter might be messing that up because it is USB-A on both ends.
2022-10-1
Use props
Brlux
lvl.1

United States

Correct. The PD power delivery is negotiated over a single wire protocol on the CC pin which is not brought over a USB-A connection.
2022-10-1
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

Brlux Posted at 10-1 14:59
Correct. The PD power delivery is negotiated over a single wire protocol on the CC pin which is not brought over a USB-A connection.

OK, I ordered the power supply you recommended, plus this cord that has a 100W meter in it that I hope will show what's going into the adapter.  It shows both volts and amps.  I'll let you know if it works.  Thanks for the help.
https://www.amazon.com/Charging- ... xyS20/dp/B09MS545VF
2022-10-1
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

rgp1942 Posted at 10-1 15:18
OK, I ordered the power supply you recommended, plus this cord that has a 100W meter in it that I hope will show what's going into the adapter.  It shows both volts and amps.  I'll let you know if it works.  Thanks for the help.
https://www.amazon.com/Charging-Display-Braided-Compatible-GalaxyS20/dp/B09MS545VF

Sorry, I got confused with another charger that has a meter in it.  The cord only shows watts.
2022-10-1
Use props
Brlux
lvl.1

United States

I have have a similar dual sided USB-C power meter cord from a different brand. Mine reads optimistically high, like it might read 49W when it is actually 45W. I also have several different inline USB-C power meters but find my favorite fool proof way to keep an eye on charge rates without potentially influencing how things operate is to use an AC power meter. You need to expect for some conversion efficiency loss in the power converter, usually safe to assume around 5%. This is currently my favorite AC power meter.
https://www.amazon.com/Poniie-PN ... %2Caps%2C142&sr=8-8
2022-10-1
Use props
CutAussie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336657 ft
Australia

My only question is why limit yourself to using only a 45Watt power supply.
DJI themselves recommend 65watt but why not buy a 100watt unit so that you can charge both drone batteries and remote and goggles at same time on different ports?
2022-10-2
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

CutAussie Posted at 10-2 00:11
My only question is why limit yourself to using only a 45Watt power supply.
DJI themselves recommend 65watt but why not buy a 100watt unit so that you can charge both drone batteries and remote and goggles at same time on different ports?

Here's what it says on the Avata Adapter (single charge) as allowable inputs:
5v @ 3a = 15w
9v @ 5a = 45w
12v @ 3a = 36w
15v @ 3a = 45w
20v @ 2.25a = 45w

Looks like either the battery and/or the adapter can only handle up to 45 watts.  In the above, the max amps is 5.

On the Avata battery it says the max charge voltage is 17 volts.  Given the max watts of 45, that would be 2.6a @ 17v

I feel comfortable going with a power supply that can push 45w into the battery charging adapter.

The USB-C cord with imbedded watt meter arrived today and with my Samsung S21 power supply the battery is charging at 28w.  When the 45w power supply arrives tomorrow hopefully I will see 45w.  If it does it will be interesting to see how long it takes to charge a depleted battery.

Stay tuned...
2022-10-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there rgp1942. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. You may also try to check our DJI Where To Buy platform on this link ( https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ) to see if the charger that you need for your DJI Avata is available. In addition I hope that you can get some recommendations from our DJI co pilots with regards to this inquiry. Thank you.
2022-10-2
Use props
JAMh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4754715 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Hi

I'm also using a 20.000mAh powerbank with 65W usb-c to charge on the go.
Probsably will be working at 45w and allows me to charge batteries from 25 to 95% in 45min aprox.
From Amazon Spain
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product ... 2_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71ixBiSAw2L._AC_SX679_.jpg
2022-10-4
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56949 ft
United Kingdom

I use a 65 watt Anker USB c plug.
2022-10-5
Use props
Mauricio Gnecco
lvl.1
Flight distance : 353028 ft
Brazil

Hello, here I have the following problem.... I use the Hub with a 30w DJI source but the charging is in a loop... it charges one by one and as soon as it finishes charging again... on the solo charger or with a battery in the Hub loads normally until the green light stays on... could it be that my problem is a weak power supply?
2023-1-15
Use props
freedom2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 519747 ft
France

Avata single charger outputs max 2.8A (with 65W USB-C PC charger input)
Avata FlyMore charger outputs max 4A with the same charger

Here is a screenshot of my BatteryMonitoring App showing this :

2023-1-15
Use props
jonathannc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2436673 ft
United Kingdom

having recently purchased avata, experiencing the mini2  wall charger was no good As silly me, had thought the avata  2pin/data plug used same as the dji fpv charger one,nope size difference
ended up buying
65W 45W USB C Laptop Charger, Universal Type C Laptop Fast Charger AC Power Adapter for Chromebook, Mac Book Pro, Lenovo,Dell,HP,ASUS,Acer,Nintendo Switch and Other Laptops/Smart Phones with USB C
from amazon for £24 .
while waiting for the 3 avata batteries to recharge via dji fpv usb charger port.

question is there an adaptor that goes from the dji fpv charge plug to the avata charge plug... probably a silly question,, haVe googles with little results
2023-1-15
Use props
freedom2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 519747 ft
France

jonathannc Posted at 1-15 07:25
having recently purchased avata, experiencing the mini2  wall charger was no good As silly me, had thought the avata  2pin/data plug used same as the dji fpv charger one,nope size difference
ended up buying
65W 45W USB C Laptop Charger, Universal Type C Laptop Fast Charger AC Power Adapter for Chromebook, Mac Book Pro, Lenovo,Dell,HP,ASUS,Acer,Nintendo Switch and Other Laptops/Smart Phones with USB C

The DJI avata and DJI FPV (from what I have understood) do NOT share the same protocol between battery and charger.
So there are very little chance that such and adapter will exist...

Furthermore Avata charger actively speaks with the battery. So any other charger (non DJI) will not work either (unless you  hack the protocol )
2023-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules