IMU and VPS Altitude
2387 27 2022-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OzoneTech
lvl.3
Flight distance : 751827 ft
Singapore

Why is it that the Mini 3 pro drifts and do not hold position around 30 feet high (with 32 satellits). When over water, it drifts and loses altitude without any stick input. When analysing flight records, IMU altitude is 0 feet where as the VPS altitude shows 28 feet just above water.
2022-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Those are things which drones don't normally do.
If that's what yours is doing, it's not possible to identify the cause, without seeing flight data.
2022-10-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there OzoneTech. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for giving out these information.  Just a reminder that when flying your DJI Mini 3 Pro above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. Thank you.
2022-10-2
Use props
OzoneTech
lvl.3
Singapore

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-2 19:28
Hello there OzoneTech. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for giving out these information.  Just a reminder that when flying your DJI Mini 3 Pro above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. Thank you.

The flight record analysis shows otherwise. Please see the analyzed record. The VPS altitude is switched on and is very different from the IMU altitude.

Does this mean the downward visual sensors are faulty?
2022-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Hello there OzoneTech. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for giving out these information.  Just a reminder that when flying your DJI Mini 3 Pro above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. Thank you.

Why do you continue to post this nonsense.
JJ and I have both attempted to get you to understand that it's just not true.
It's unfortunate when moderators post misinformation.
It's pathetic when they continue to after it's been pointed out many times.
2022-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

OzoneTech Posted at 10-2 19:40
The flight record analysis shows otherwise. Please see the analyzed record. The VPS altitude is switched on and is very different from the IMU altitude.[view_image]

Please post a link to the Phantomhelp report and someone might be able to look at the actual data and help you.
2022-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

OzoneTech Posted at 10-2 19:40
The flight record analysis shows otherwise. Please see the analyzed record. The VPS altitude is switched on and is very different from the IMU altitude.[view_image]

The VPS altitude is switched on and is very different from the IMU altitude.

Not at all.
They measure different things.
The IMU height (what you see on screen, shows the height of the drone relative to the launch point (+/- a little depending on air pressure changes)
VPS measures the height of the drone above whatever is below it (within the limited rahge of the VPS sensors).

It looks like the drone was 5.9 ft lower than the launch point and 12.5 feet above the water.
2022-10-2
Use props
OzoneTech
lvl.3
Singapore

Labroides Posted at 10-2 19:48
Why do you continue to post this nonsense.
JJ and I have both attempted to get you to understand that it's just not true.
It's unfortunate when moderators post misinformation.

That is because the link in your e mail for posting leads here. Please post the correct link.
2022-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

OzoneTech Posted at 10-2 19:55
That is because the link in your e mail for posting leads here. Please post the correct link.

The nonsense I mentioned is that garbage the moderator posted.
Ignore him as he knows very little about DJI  drones.
2022-10-2
Use props
OzoneTech
lvl.3
Singapore

Labroides Posted at 10-2 19:54
The VPS altitude is switched on and is very different from the IMU altitude.
Not at all.

I don't quiet agree with you. At 18ft VPS altitude, the drone was in water (o feet IMU altitude).
2022-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

OzoneTech Posted at 10-2 20:02
I don't quiet agree with you. At 18ft VPS altitude, the drone was in water (o feet IMU altitude).

I've asked several times.
Please post your flight data so I can see what's happening.
2022-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

OzoneTech Posted at 10-2 20:02

I give up ... it seems that you don't want help.
2022-10-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Stephen,

And again you post this outdated link!!  why ?

FlyApp drones cannot disable the VPS bottem sensor!!

And the vision positioning is not turned off automatically flying over water!
And what do you mean with "...affected by the accuranct range, an accident might happen" ?? It is so wrong!

I fly many times low over water, VPS bottom sensor does sense alway the correct height.Only when flying slow or hovering low over streaming water the VPS downward sensor gets sometimes "confused"....
Well, just my experience flying many many flights low over water.
And, analyzing logs, you can see that the vision is not used for positioning when the GPS signals are oke. (see the manuals as well ....)

Best for DJI is to change the autolanding protection such that it will automatically turns off with some speed in any direction! This has caused many wet drones....

Cheers
JJB
2022-10-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Just a nice thing to know about VPS altitude in the log is....

The conversion from the encrypted log to a csv file isn`t correct for some fields.
VPS height is one of those fields....
It will sometimes show the value from the previous record if there is no data, and this for the next and next record....

So in your case the 28 feet could be an old value, the value shown for the last time is was measured/recorded correctly.

Best is to get help/advice is to upload your flightlog, this 'false' VPS height value can be filtered out using some better software....
use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
cheers
JJB

2022-10-3
Use props
OzoneTech
lvl.3
Singapore

Hi JJB!

1. I had analyzed my flight log using the phantomhelp.com link and the earlier information given is from that link.
2. The drone was hovering when it went down in to water without any stick movement.
3. I quiet agree with you that if a firmware update disables the auto landing protection such that it will automatically turns off with some speed in any direction would have prevented many watery graves for the drones.

Thanks.

2022-10-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

OzoneTech Posted at 10-3 12:12
Hi JJB!

1. I had analyzed my flight log using the phantomhelp.com link and the earlier information given is from that link.

2. The drone was hovering when it went down in to water without any stick movement

Sorry to be so skeptical, but I'm not willing to accept your assessment of the flight data without seeing the actual data.
Your reluctance to post the data is suspicious.
2022-10-3
Use props
OzoneTech
lvl.3
Singapore

Labroides Posted at 10-3 13:40
2. The drone was hovering when it went down in to water without any stick movement.
Sorry to be so skeptical, but I'm not willing to accept your assessment of the flight data without seeing the actual data.

What is more suspicious is about the moderators . You claim he has no knowledge on DJI drones yet he  administers the group. Have this cleared and sorted out!
2022-10-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

OzoneTech Posted at 10-3 16:49
What is more suspicious is about the moderators . You claim he has no knowledge on DJI drones yet he  administers the group. Have this cleared and sorted out!

I don't know what that has to do with this topic.

I also saw where you had your data analysed somewhere else, and it didn't show what you said it did.
2022-10-3
Use props
OzoneTech
lvl.3
Singapore

Labroides Posted at 10-3 17:06
I don't know what that has to do with this topic.

I analyzed the data myself. What puzzles me is the flight record shows stick movement when I was holding the RC without my fingers on the sticks.
2022-10-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

OzoneTech Posted at 10-3 17:16
I analyzed the data myself. What puzzles me is the flight record shows stick movement when I was holding the RC without my fingers on the sticks.

I analyzed the data myself. What puzzles me is the flight record shows stick movement

The data shows joystick movement (that would have landed the drone in the water), but you say that there was no joystick movement?
That's kind of hard to explain .. is the data lying?
2022-10-3
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

OzoneTech Posted at 10-3 17:16
I analyzed the data myself. What puzzles me is the flight record shows stick movement when I was holding the RC without my fingers on the sticks.

You have at your disposal a couple of the absolute best minds for analyzing drone data. Labroides is trying to help, he does know the subject inside and out.
Since you stated "I alalyzed the data myself", why are you even posting? Why not post the link and let the BEST help you? If you are better than these, you should need no help!!
2022-10-3
Use props
OzoneTech
lvl.3
Singapore

Labroides Posted at 10-3 17:33

I analyzed the data myself. What puzzles me is the flight record shows stick movement

I never said the data is lying. Since I am the pilot with a spotter and other person next to me being the witness, it is hard to see the stick movement in the flight record.
2022-10-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

OzoneTech Posted at 10-3 17:58
I never said the data is lying. Since I am the pilot with a spotter and other person next to me being the witness, it is hard to see the stick movement in the flight record.

You mentioned above that the data shows stick movement.
I've seen your flight record and the stick movement is obvious.
The data showed that someone or something pulled the left stick down and the drone landed in the water.
This is quite different to what you said in your first post...
it drifts and loses altitude without any stick input
2022-10-3
Use props
OzoneTech
lvl.3
Singapore

Labroides Posted at 10-3 18:22
You mentioned above that the data shows stick movement.
I've seen your flight record and the stick movement is obvious.
The data showed that someone or something pulled the left stick down and the drone landed in the water.

Yes that is true. I have had this issue many times before and also on that day, but each time I could recover the AC. The last flight, it went down the watery grave.
2022-10-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

OzoneTech Posted at 10-3 18:32
Yes that is true. I have had this issue many times before and also on that day, but each time I could recover the AC. The last flight, it went down the watery grave.

What you say is inconsistent with the data.
The drone did not drift, it was landed in the water by holding the left stick down and you made no effort to stop it.
It was a plain, simple case of user error.
2022-10-3
Use props
OzoneTech
lvl.3
Singapore

Labroides Posted at 10-3 18:46
What you say is inconsistent with the data.
The drone did not drift, it was landed in the water by holding the left stick down and you made no effort to stop it.
It was a plain, simple case of user error.

Your comments are based on the flight record as the Bible. I have difficulty in believing this Bible. I shall post the outcome when I get to the bottom of this issue. Any way thanks for your inputs.
2022-10-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

OzoneTech Posted at 10-3 18:54
Your comments are based on the flight record as the Bible. I have difficulty in believing this Bible. I shall post the outcome when I get to the bottom of this issue. Any way thanks for your inputs.

The data shows what happened in black and white.
You are simply a drone flyer in denial about crashing your drone.

Here's the flight data for anyone else who can read it:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QtB3AEhNqXu0MTw4xR923LCY-ygMwWet/view?usp=sharing

2022-10-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 10-3 19:25
The data shows what happened in black and white.
You are simply a drone flyer in denial about crashing your drone.

Hi,

Had a look at the link in your post.
Not only Left stick 100% down but also 100% yaw right.

Drone followed RC input correctly : down and yawing right all the way down.
Flying N mode and at 7m56s N mode changed into a ConfirmLanding.

This last 'mode' change is only possible with RC 100% stick down AND vision height at 0.5 meter.
IMO this rules out that the cause of this descent is due to something else...a hick-up in the software  or so...
ConfirmLanding only seen in logs if RC stick down was at 100% at 0.5 or 0.6 meter.

So what happend? From 6m48 to 7m44 craft was hovering steady at 10.6 meter baro height, no RC input.
No video recordings and no pictures taken that period.

So what was the remote pilot doing?  no idea, guess at 7m44 remote was accidentally mishandled with his hands touching the left stick to it max down+right.
Why not a pull up? During the 16 seconds no action on the controls, so pilot wasn`t looking at the screen or at the drone. (not that far away from home)
This conviced my guess that the controller stick was touched accidentally, pilot not aware of this.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2022-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules