'GPS signal weak' error
6958 15 2022-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fred.hi.am
lvl.1
Bolivia

Hello,
My Mavic Mini is showing 'GPS signal weak ... (Code: 30008)' and will not do any of the QuickShots.

I am in La Paz, Bolivia (3600m above sea level) so I am also getting the warning 'High altitude ... (Code: 30238)' - however I have had this before and the Mini still worked fine, including the QuickShots. Then all of a sudden during a flight yesterday, the gimball briefly stuck and it suddenly started saying 'GPS signal weak' and would no longer do any of the QuickShots. It still flies fine, very stable, and all other functions seem to be working (the gimball was only briefly stuck and is now also fine). The 'GPS signal weak' error shows always, even when I am out in the open with 12 or more satellites connected.

I have updated the DJI Fly app and checked that the firmware is up to date. After searching this forum, I have downloaded the 'DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic' programme but I cannot get it to recognise the Mavic Mini, I have followed all of the instructions but it won't recognise it at all (not even showing up as an SD card in Windows).

Any other ideas for what I might be doing wrong? I've attached a screenshow showing the two error messages.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Screenshot_20221003-143936.jpg
2022-10-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you post your flight data, the nature of the GPS issue might be explained.
It could have been a brief glitch or something more serious, but the data is necessary to tell.

To get to your flight data, go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions to upload the data to that site and it will give a report
For help interpreting the data you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.

2022-10-3
Use props
fred.hi.am
lvl.1
Bolivia

Hi thanks for responding. I've uploaded the flight reports, links below. The first one was working fine, the second one is where the gimball got stuck, then a couple of short flights trying to get it working again, then the last one where the gimball was working fine, but had the "GPS signal weak" error. I don't really know how to read the logs, there seems to be a lot of warnings about flying at high altitude, and the gimbal stuck error is shown, but not the GPS signal error.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/48KCFISQO4XO0FF4X8NQ

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/26G66KCL43XP5AWBQZL3

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/4CHNBLSLA4DPABCBV013

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5G3ZF745EPPAEXOWZMDO

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/9WRSWWX5UEJ9VLHWGB6O

Thanks for any help, really appreciated
2022-10-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fred.hi.am Posted at 10-3 16:59
Hi thanks for responding. I've uploaded the flight reports, links below. The first one was working fine, the second one is where the gimball got stuck, then a couple of short flights trying to get it working again, then the last one where the gimball was working fine, but had the "GPS signal weak" error. I don't really know how to read the logs, there seems to be a lot of warnings about flying at high altitude, and the gimbal stuck error is shown, but not the GPS signal error.

I can't find any GPS problems in any of those 5 flights.
You had full GPS for all of them.
2022-10-3
Use props
fred.hi.am
lvl.1
Bolivia

Exactly - more satellites than I've ever had before so I can't imagine the signal really is weak, but the screenshot in my original post shows a "GPS signal weak" error which was showing throughout those flights, but not in the flight reports?

I tried reinstalling the app (again) from the downloaded APK, and this time didn't let it update when prompted, and it seems to have resolved it for now (although it's night-time here so I can't properly check til tomorrow).

Hopefully it will work now, thanks for your help.
2022-10-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fred.hi.am Posted at 10-3 18:27
Exactly - more satellites than I've ever had before so I can't imagine the signal really is weak, but the screenshot in my original post shows a "GPS signal weak" error which was showing throughout those flights, but not in the flight reports?

I tried reinstalling the app (again) from the downloaded APK, and this time didn't let it update when prompted, and it seems to have resolved it for now (although it's night-time here so I can't properly check til tomorrow).

the screenshot in my original post shows a "GPS signal weak" error which was showing throughout those flights, but not in the flight reports?

It looks like that was just something from startup before the drone had full GPS reception.
GPS was perfect for all of those flights (just as it should be).
2022-10-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there fred.hi.am. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please refresh the firmware and update the DJI Fly Application to the latest one to see if the error still exists. If yes, please provide us a screenshot for further check. You can download the DJI Assistant 2 software to refresh the firmware for this DJI Link ( https://www.dji.com/downloads/products/mavic-mini ). Thank you.
2022-10-3
Use props
fred.hi.am
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-3 20:48
the screenshot in my original post shows a "GPS signal weak" error which was showing throughout those flights, but not in the flight reports?

It looks like that was just something from startup before the drone had full GPS reception.

Thanks, but the "GPS signal weak" error continued throughout the flights and stopped me from using the QuickShots function, even with up to 18 satellites connected, so there is definitely something wrong, even if it's not showing up in the flight logs. Maybe it's an issue with the start-up as you say, but for some reason it is not correcting once the drone has full GPSS reception?

I guess it's a problem with the app update, or maybe a compatibility issue as I am using a Galaxy S21 FE, which I think is not on the ever-shrinking list of compatible devices? I have an old S8+ somewhere, I'll try using that when I get home, see if it has similar issues.

Again, thanks for your advice, really appreacited.
2022-10-4
Use props
fred.hi.am
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-3 21:09
Hello there fred.hi.am. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please refresh the firmware and update the DJI Fly Application to the latest one to see if the error still exists. If yes, please provide us a screenshot for further check. You can download the DJI Assistant 2 software to refresh the firmware for this DJI Link ( https://www.dji.com/downloads/products/mavic-mini ). Thank you.

Hi Stephen, thanks I will try that again, but as i mentioned in my original post, I had updated the firmware and app, and I also downloaded the "DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic" software but couldn't get it to recognise my Mini. I will try again if the problem reappears.

Might this be a compatibility issue, as I am using a Samsung Galaxy S21 FE, which is not on the list of supported devices i think?
2022-10-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fred.hi.am Posted at 10-4 08:36
Thanks, but the "GPS signal weak" error continued throughout the flights and stopped me from using the QuickShots function, even with up to 18 satellites connected, so there is definitely something wrong, even if it's not showing up in the flight logs. Maybe it's an issue with the start-up as you say, but for some reason it is not correcting once the drone has full GPSS reception?

I guess it's a problem with the app update, or maybe a compatibility issue as I am using a Galaxy S21 FE, which I think is not on the ever-shrinking list of compatible devices? I have an old S8+ somewhere, I'll try using that when I get home, see if it has similar issues.

I guess it's a problem with the app update, or maybe a compatibility issue as I am using a Galaxy S21 FE, which I think is not on the ever-shrinking list of compatible devices?

The issue is most unlikely to be related to your phone, which has nothing to do with GPS reception.
And it doesn't matter that a phone isn't on DJI's list of "supported" devices.
DJI test very few phones and rarely update their list.
Many of the best flying phones and tablets have never been listed by DJI.

Has this just happened once or is it a frequent occurrence?

2022-10-4
Use props
djiuser_BlxJlfF9kDNy
New
Flight distance : 395663 ft
United States

fred.hi.am Posted at 10-3 16:59
Hi thanks for responding. I've uploaded the flight reports, links below. The first one was working fine, the second one is where the gimball got stuck, then a couple of short flights trying to get it working again, then the last one where the gimball was working fine, but had the "GPS signal weak" error. I don't really know how to read the logs, there seems to be a lot of warnings about flying at high altitude, and the gimbal stuck error is shown, but not the GPS signal error.

I am having the same issue. I deleted the app and downloaded it again and still cannot get the GPS error to go away......
2022-10-18
Use props
fred.hi.am
lvl.1
United Kingdom

djiuser_BlxJlfF9kDNy Posted at 10-18 15:28
I am having the same issue. I deleted the app and downloaded it again and still cannot get the GPS error to go away......

Sorry I never figured out what the problem was, I just kept trying different things until something worked. Eventually when I reinstalled the app for the second time (from the downloaded APK , not from the Google Play Store), when it asked me to update the app I ignored it and the problem didn't show up again. So far.

If it happens again, and if i can figure out what's causing it or how to resolve it, I'll update this post.
2022-10-20
Use props
djiuser_0XHtlMHKdBfC
New

United States

djiuser_BlxJlfF9kDNy Posted at 2022-10-18 15:28

Same issue. Have you found resolution? I see it’s been a while since this thread was active. Thanks in advance!
2023-4-6
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

djiuser_0XHtlMHKdBfC Posted at 4-6 15:07
Same issue. Have you found resolution? I see it’s been a while since this thread was active. Thanks in advance!

Make sure what you're experiencing is not this (a misleading message in DJI Fly that is displayed when you try to do QuickShots while in S or C Mode):
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =276563&pid=2883955

2023-4-6
Use props
djiuser_D1fNli8YiH1x
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37192 ft
United States

I have the latest app and firmware and have exactly the same problem, quickshot not available because of gps weak signal error. However the top right corner shows 19 satellites acquired. What gives?
2023-4-11
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

djiuser_D1fNli8YiH1x Posted at 4-11 16:30
I have the latest app and firmware and have exactly the same problem, quickshot not available because of gps weak signal error. However the top right corner shows 19 satellites acquired. What gives?

Same as above...
2023-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules