Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Will you boycott DJI if they do not release SDK for Mavic3 consumer?
12Next >
4715 59 2022-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Delta Nine
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Will you boycott DJI if they do not release SDK for Mavic 3 consumer ?

Plenty of people have complained about the rumours that SDK is being dropped for M3 consumer drone.

Many feel disgruntled with DJI for suggesting that SDK will be released and now taking a U turn.

It's time to send a message to DJI, please vote.
Single SelectVote, Total 77 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

57.14% (44)
42.86% (33)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2022-10-3
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI already got the message loud and clear: those who complain the most are the ones who have kept buying, and will keep buying every single new model from DJI.
2022-10-3
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 10-3 13:45
DJI already got the message loud and clear: those who complain the most are the ones who have kept buying, and will keep buying every single new model from DJI.

im going to agree.  a boycott is not the right tool to bring a change to dji sdk practices.
2022-10-3
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wont boycott per se, but it does make me actively seek other manufacturers.
2022-10-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

“Plenty of people have complained about the rumours that SDK is being dropped for M3 consumer drone”

I think you said it all there yourself, “Rumours”. So many ridiculous rumours…

Rumors are pieces of information or a story that has not been verified.
2022-10-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 10-3 14:51
“Plenty of people have complained about the rumours that SDK is being dropped for M3 consumer drone”

I think you said it all there yourself, “Rumours”. So many ridiculous rumours…

Except that DJI have made it clear that they are not delivering an SDK for the mavic 3.
That isn't a rumour.
2022-10-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 10-3 15:01
Except that DJI have made it clear that they are not delivering an SDK for teh mavic 3.
That isn't a rumour.

Where did they say they would never deliver SDK on Mavic 3, it took 9 months for them to release SDK on Mavic 2 and same could be said of drones since except enterprise.
2022-10-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 10-3 15:08
Where did they say they would never deliver SDK on Mavic 3, it took 9 months for them to release SDK on Mavic 2 and same could be said of drones since except enterprise.

https://sdk-forum.dji.net/hc/en- ... mer-level-aircraft-
2022-10-3
Use props
Frontliner 2020
lvl.4
Philippines

No I will not...
2022-10-3
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Labroides Posted at 10-3 17:17
https://sdk-forum.dji.net/hc/en-us/articles/8818033368857-What-is-the-plan-for-the-consumer-level-aircraft-

"Never" isn't said there!!!   
2022-10-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

No I won't.
I never used it.
2022-10-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I am one of those fools that complain but when Dji drops the next big thing, I will run out and buy.
2022-10-3
Use props
djiuser_5Aa1bOZ2fx6c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1914987 ft
United States

I bought the Mavic 3 just because William Wong said there would be an SDK release in August!!!
2022-10-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I don’t think that says what I was saying.
I think it took autel over two years with EVO
2022-10-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

frankymusik Posted at 10-3 22:48
"Never" isn't said there!!!

DJI never say anything definite.
And if they did, it can't be relied on as accurate.
2022-10-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 10-4 01:12
I don’t think that says what I was saying.
I think it took autel over two years with EVO

So you can't take their word for it when they say it's coming, and you can't when they say it isn't.
Got it ... clear as mud.
It means whatever you want it to.
Which means you can still confidently sing the same song next October.

2022-10-4
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Despite all the verbal judo, the messages I take away from the table are:

1.  No SDK available today for the M3.
2.  Availability of SDK for Enterprise branded drones
3.  Conflicting messages from DJI about intent to release a SDK for the M3.

So, what to do.  Well, if you absolutely require the SDK today, get a drone that has that available.  Like many, I am disappointed, but I am not going to let it hold me back.  I was advised by a DJI authorized reseller, who no longer sells consumer branded drones, that the M3 would have a SDK eventually.  They made this statement back when I purchased it, so I took that part on faith, but I had no actual guarantees that this was true.  

In any event, DJI did not put any reference to SDK on the outside of the boxes for the M3 or M3 Cine.  So although I am disappointed, and feeling a little bit kicked in the head, I did get exactly what I paid for.  And being an early adopter of a new model, I got a few bumps on the head as well.
2022-10-4
Use props
akozc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

I still do not know with or without SDK what I will lose or gain except the using waypoint on Litch Apps.  So, for me not that critical  
2022-10-4
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

akozc Posted at 10-4 07:15
I still do not know with or without SDK what I will lose or gain except the using waypoint on Litch Apps.  So, for me not that critical

Exactly.  Some do not need it.  For those of us that do, we know exactly why we need it.   For those that need the automation for repeat survey, construction monitoring, orthomosaic mapping, etc.  So much of my drone business is dependent on automation, it has become part of the workflow.  Very hard to succeed without it in my case.
2022-10-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TonyPHX Posted at 10-4 11:02
Exactly.  Some do not need it.  For those of us that do, we know exactly why we need it.   For those that need the automation for repeat survey, construction monitoring, orthomosaic mapping, etc.  So much of my drone business is dependent on automation, it has become part of the workflow.  Very hard to succeed without it in my case.

Would a trade in for an enterprise not be a much better option, drones for specific actions instead of hoping for jack of all trades drone that dji seem to be moving away from.
2022-10-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

If you boycott DJI, will they care?
Not a bit.
You may as well hold your breath until your face is blue.
2022-10-4
Use props
Mavic 3 Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://sdk-forum.dji.net/hc/en-us/articles/8818033368857-What-is-the-plan-for-the-consumer-level-aircraft-

I read this differently.

DJI is stating that they are prioritizing their SDK engineering efforts 1st to the enterprise series.   Because of that, there will be no SDK for Mini 3 Pro, Mavic 3, or Avata in 2022.

What it leaves open is what will happen in 2023?  Once they get the SDK working on their enterprise series, theoretically the consumer series is next.

So, there is still hope...  
2022-10-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mavic 3 Raptor Posted at 10-5 18:41
I read this differently.

DJI is stating that they are prioritizing their SDK engineering efforts 1st to the enterprise series.   Because of that, there will be no SDK for Mini 3 Pro, Mavic 3, or Avata in 2022.

The statement from one DJI guy (rather than an official release from DJI) is full of blanks.
Fill them with whatever you want to imagine.
DJI haven't said they will deliver anything in 2023.
Believe whatever you like.
2022-10-5
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hi Labroides,

I've read the SDK developer forum and it does not seem to say that DJI will not release DJI for Mavic 3 being a consumer drone. It seems they say it is prioritized lower than Enterprise drones, i.e. Mavic 3 Enterprise, since they are about done with Mavic 3E SDK and considering the hardware is pretty much the same for basic camera (not Flur / Thermal) and another difference being Mavic 3E uses DJI Pilot on RC Pro, but since SDK for Mavic 3E is either already out or getting release, imho it should not be an issue getting SDK for Mavic 3 consumer level, even though it is lower priority than Enterprise drones as that would would imho boost sales of Mavic 3. I don't really know for sure and maybe even DJI does not know for sure as with such a big firm priorities are driven by upper management and hopefully those folks would continue releasing SDK for consumer drones such as Mavic 3. What seems alarming to me is that DJI significantly lowered the price of Mavic 3E compared to previous Enterprise drones, I am not sure if they are hinting that if someone wants SDK, they are pushing people towards Mavic 3E being cheaper and more affordable for small business / self run corporation, but that is just a guess. In anyways I have faith in DJI releasing SDK for Mavic 3 consumer line as they have done in the past as even in that post it just says the priority is lower, but lower priority gets shifted up in corporations due to demand so hoping it will. Also one thing wanted to mention it seems there is no Cine ProRes functions for Mavic 3E if not mistaken, hence Cine ProRes would not even be replciated as part of Mavic 3E SDK, thinking they would want to release SDK for Cine and hopefully regular Mavic 3 being a different animal from Enterpise.

Thank you, Mike.

2022-10-5
Use props
robertdc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38717 ft
United Kingdom

Hi

I was contemplating getting the Mavic 3 Enterprise primarily for the SDK as I'm considering getting into surveying/mapping in the not too distant future but for now any survey work I would be looking to do is more visual and potentially flying close to uninvolved people, but from repeatable locations. DJI have confirmed to me that the Mavic 3E won't get a C1 class certificate due to it being over 900g and may ultimately be classed as C2 or C3. For me personally, I would rather use a C1 drone such as the regular Mavic 3 but also want the waypoint features offered by third party apps. I have no current need for the RTK and mechanical shutter, and don't want to be pushed beyond the C1 class by small additional weight just to be able to do automated flying. I doubt I'm the only person with these kind of requirements.

Rob
2022-11-10
Use props
djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 884301 ft
  • >>>
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 10-3 13:45
DJI already got the message loud and clear: those who complain the most are the ones who have kept buying, and will keep buying every single new model from DJI.

Not me, I bought the M3CINE fully expecting the SDK and capabilities.  It is now a loss, and I am considering legal options.  I will never buy a DJI product again.  
2022-11-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6 Posted at 11-10 09:09
Not me, I bought the M3CINE fully expecting the SDK and capabilities.  It is now a loss, and I am considering legal options.  I will never buy a DJI product again.

And what would your argument be ? I don’t think we have ever seen dji apply a date to release of SDK for M3, in fact I don’t think they even said it would be released. Looks like you wasted 5k on your drone Id quit while your behind just that.
2022-11-10
Use props
djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 884301 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-10 15:49
And what would your argument be ? I don’t think we have ever seen dji apply a date to release of SDK for M3, in fact I don’t think they even said it would be released. Looks like you wasted 5k on your drone Id quit while your behind just that.

...don't you have a drone to go lose somewhere?
2022-11-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6 Posted at 11-10 16:56
...don't you have a drone to go lose somewhere?

Well soon you won’t have any drones so no need to post here anymore
2022-11-11
Use props
fans79782605
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5281804 ft
  • >>>
Russia

stupid topic, incites hatred ...
4605295_600.jpg
2022-11-11
Use props
Delta Nine
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans79782605 Posted at 11-11 16:57
stupid topic, incites hatred ...

2022-12-2
Use props
EmilioCid
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7445200 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Definitely DJI is forcing the sale of the enterprise. I will never buy one.   

I'm already on my 3rd Mavic2Pro. When it gets old, I find a less used one.

I still don't have a Mavic3 due to the absence of the SKD. That is, since November 2018 DJI has not seen the color of my money. There are thousands of cases just like mine.

I would love to have a M3, but whithout dronedeploy, it would be useless for me.
2022-12-11
Use props
BladeZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1111969 ft
  • >>>
United States

I will not boycott DJI over the lack of an SDK. I will, however, start looking into other options, but in my opinion, the lack of an SDK is not reason enough for me to boycott.  The drones are still functional, and the drones are still amazing pieces of technology.
2022-12-11
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I saw a similar post like this one but it looked more official, and i too took it as though the Enterprise models will only be the ones with SDK, BUT having just read the comment from the OP stating that only the Mavic 3 Enterprise will get waypoints, well, what to believe now with regards to the SDK cause the M3 just get herself some waypoints?
2022-12-11
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

BladeZ Posted at 12-11 06:45
I will not boycott DJI over the lack of an SDK. I will, however, start looking into other options, but in my opinion, the lack of an SDK is not reason enough for me to boycott.  The drones are still functional, and the drones are still amazing pieces of technology.

Finally a reasonable opinion.
I'm willing to bet that half of the complainers about the lack of an SDK don't really need the SDK.

I feel like I'm going to get argued over this comment, come on guys, heat up the keyboard.
2022-12-11
Use props
Toma345
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22566 ft
France

TonyPHX Posted at 10-3 14:49
I wont boycott per se, but it does make me actively seek other manufacturers.

Le choix est limité ....
2022-12-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-11 07:49
I'm willing to bet that half of the complainers about the lack of an SDK don't really need the SDK.

Even more ridiculous is people believing that DJI cares about a boycot!!
2022-12-11
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-11 12:05
Even more ridiculous is people believing that DJI cares about a boycot!!

you are totaly right !
2022-12-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-11 07:49

That should not be half or 50%. 95% are just looking for waypoints its about 5% that require or are looking for SDK….
2022-12-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 12-11 07:43
I saw a similar post like this one but it looked more official, and i too took it as though the Enterprise models will only be the ones with SDK, BUT having just read the comment from the OP stating that only the Mavic 3 Enterprise will get waypoints, well, what to believe now with regards to the SDK cause the M3 just get herself some waypoints?

Getting a waypoint function is not getting an SDK.
What kind of waypoint functionality has DJI delivered anyway?
Do the waypoints and route programming upload to the drone or are they relayed to the drone with virtual sticks?
Is the drone able to autonomously continue a way point mission if signal is lost or is it a virtual sticks kind of waypoint ability?

The main reason users want an SDK is so that third party developers can create software that will work with DJI drones, particularly mapping software.
2022-12-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules