123Next >
8097 82 2022-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It’s still not quite right with the beta firmware.

2022-10-6
Use props
WiscoPaddler
lvl.4
United States

Here is another good video with some great testing.

2022-10-6
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don’t know if it’s some kind of optical illusion but that girl’s hat was more in focus than her face! I found similar with my shirt and face.
2022-10-6
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

All she needs to do is put the 3 cameras she has - Hero 11 + OA3 + Action 2 and take one DNG test photo and one short 5sec test video in the same position.  Subject a page of words at 40cm away - in the distance something else like grass.  All similar FOV - all similar EIS level - all in the same 4K - all in good lighting etc.  Then compare.  For old vs beta firmware - same.

Based on her video - the Hero 11 crushes the OA3 for image details - especially noticeable in the backgrounds.  Now questions are - is this due to 5.3K vs 4K.  Is this due to defective lens elements.  Is this due to incorrect firmware calibration.  Hmm.  Now that would be an interesting comparison.

2022-10-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

This whole 4K (or more) thing seems to me to be increasingly a meaningless term, especially when the camera crops and processes the image in various ways for different apparent lens angles.  It seems to me that cameras should be specified in terms of pixels per degree of view.  That would be a much more level playing field.  But apart from that, I'm inclined to think that when comparing the Action 3 to the Hero 11, it may be a matter of "you get what you pay for".
2022-10-6
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-6 14:21
This whole 4K (or more) thing seems to me to be increasingly a meaningless term, especially when the camera crops and processes the image in various ways for different apparent lens angles.  It seems to me that cameras should be specified in terms of pixels per degree of view.  That would be a much more level playing field.  But apart from that, I'm inclined to think that when comparing the Action 3 to the Hero 11, it may be a matter of "you get what you pay for".

Insta360 One RS 4K is even cheaper than OA3 and is really sharp.
2022-10-6
Use props
Amuzis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I agree to disagree. We don't have to compare OA3 to competitors. DJI have a whole lineup of cameras now and in similar price tag. And yet with newer tech we have worse results then from a camera made 4years ago (OA1).
2022-10-6
Use props
fansccbc3c4b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 232536 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

10-Bit Posted at 10-6 09:00
All she needs to do is put the 3 cameras she has - Hero 11 + OA3 + Action 2 and take one DNG test photo and one short 5sec test video in the same position.  Subject a page of words at 40cm away - in the distance something else like grass.  All similar FOV - all similar EIS level - all in the same 4K - all in good lighting etc.  Then compare.  For old vs beta firmware - same.

Based on her video - the Hero 11 crushes the OA3 for image details - especially noticeable in the backgrounds.  Now questions are - is this due to 5.3K vs 4K.  Is this due to defective lens elements.  Is this due to incorrect firmware calibration.  Hmm.  Now that would be an interesting comparison.

Hey. Did DJI get in touch with you to try the beta firmware update or did you get in touch with them? It'd be good to try it out and do some tests/comparisons.
2022-10-6
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

fansccbc3c4b Posted at 10-6 15:03
Hey. Did DJI get in touch with you to try the beta firmware update or did you get in touch with them? It'd be good to try it out and do some tests/comparisons.

Hi, in another thread I noted we received our OA3 but it remains unopened.  I then phoned DJI Support to get a response to my outstanding email queries.  Was then asked to contact Chat for an immediate response instead of waiting 1 to 2 days.  Chat told me Support was now currently swamped with enquires and apologized for them not responding to my email enquires.

They know who I am as I referenced everything as I have contacted Support about other DJI queries.  I also gave them various forum links.  They know exactly what is going on - everywhere.  They asked that instead of sending the OA3 back to them immediately - I please wait for DJI Support to email back to me a response.

That is what I am waiting for at the moment.  My guess is that upper management is trying to formulate a response to this.  Pretty much all of us know what DJI should do - but will they do it - is the question.

The beta firmware looks clearly like it did not correct the soft focus issues.  It looks like a defective lens hardware issue.

Chat noted that there is no cost for shipping back to DJI - but this not noted anywhere in the DJI website.  I learned a lot over the past few days - and other forum members contributing to this should be applauded.  A lot has been confirmed in extremely short order.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D781%26typeid%3D781
2022-10-6
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

@10-Bit I decided to keep the cam without making an RMA, if a correction via firmware is not possible, which I would say almost impossible, I will wait a few months and send the cam for assistance using the warranty.
At that point DJI will be forced to solve the problem, either by replacing the cam with another one or by calibrating the lens group.
2022-10-7
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansccbc3c4b Posted at 10-6 15:03

Hi,

I sent a pm asking for the beta update. They then tie it in to your account for loading via Mimo.

It basically applies more digital sharpening but doesn’t affect close focus.
2022-10-7
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

Absolutely useless that beta firmware since this operation can be done in post production, and it is a digital artifact correction.
Here is a real hardware-level focus problem, it's another matter.
2022-10-7
Use props
real_martinmcfl
lvl.1
Germany

Soo...I just received my OA3 and it seems I also got a unit with the focus problem. I hope they can fix the error via firmware or start an exchange campaign with non faulty units.
2022-10-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

So we are saying members  have more knowledge then DJI with the  out of focus issue, DJI needs to step their game  up here now
2022-10-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

As I write this, video is not in 4K yet.
I did a quick test with OA3 vs OA vs Gopro 10, but this time Gopro 10 had Medium sharpness and colors (forgot to put it to flat).
But this test is to show sharpness, and I can say that the old OA is sharper than OA3 even with beta firmware.

2022-10-7
Use props
real_martinmcfl
lvl.1
Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 10-7 06:28
I did a quick test with OA3 vs OA vs Gopro 10, but this time Gopro 10 had Medium sharpness and colors (forgot to put it to flat).
But this test is to show sharpness, and I can say that the old OA is sharper than OA3 even with beta firmware.

I came to a similar result today. The ultra wide lens is the sharpest of the bunch. The other modes (Standard / Wide) are pretty disappointing at this stage with the current firmware. :-/
2022-10-7
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

MarcoR Posted at 10-7 02:16
@10-Bit I decided to keep the cam without making an RMA, if a correction via firmware is not possible, which I would say almost impossible, I will wait a few months and send the cam for assistance using the warranty.
At that point DJI will be forced to solve the problem, either by replacing the cam with another one or by calibrating the lens group.

Hope it all works out for you.  I just put my order in for the Insta 360 X3.  So will be receiving that device early next week.  Should be fun shooting 360.  
2022-10-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

twice t he amount of work and too much lines good luck on 360 totally diff camera to the action camera
2022-10-7
Use props
WiscoPaddler
lvl.4
United States

10-Bit Posted at 10-7 09:01
Hope it all works out for you.  I just put my order in for the Insta 360 X3.  So will be receiving that device early next week.  Should be fun shooting 360.

I have the X3 and love it.  It can cover 2 aspects, the 360 and a normal 4k camera in single-lens mode.  I will say though if you think the Osmo Action 3 soft focus up close is bad, don't expect ground shattering quality from the 360 video.  

If you zoom in to a 'normal view' in the editing (which takes it's sweet time to do but the results are worth it), you will see pretty poor quality video.  However I rarely zoom into the 'normal view', typically I'll do that and zoom out a bit so the quality increases a bit more.  Overall though, I absolutely love the X3. I just want a 2nd dedicated action camera that can be more rugged because those lenses popping out on both sides make me so nervous and the screen protectors are absolutely garbage for them in my opinion.

Either way enjoy the X3... extremely fun to take out, you just have to be OK with people gawking at you wondering if you're nuts.  
2022-10-7
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Haha!  Definitely.  Until they see the footage.  Then WOW!  Had that already with 4Kp120 on the Action 2 slowed 4x.  Butter smooth action wondering what was that about.  Luckily got most all the slo-mo footage we needed.  So the X3 will take it in a different direction - and up the creativity a few more notches.  Should keep an old dog busy learning about 360 and upping the challenge quotient.  Found the GoPro type footage was getting a bit stale and redundant anyways.  So the timing of this switch was perfectly fine.
2022-10-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

johansenfoto Posted at 10-7 06:28

Because of the different colour profiles , the test is not very good or correct. Almost comparing a jpeg to a raw photo without any editing. One of the worst things about these small sensor cameras is the complete over sharpened video , i think the A3 has a much better overall look to its footage.
2022-10-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

hallmark007 Posted at 10-7 15:41
Because of the different colour profiles , the test is not very good or correct. Almost comparing a jpeg to a raw photo without any editing. One of the worst things about these small sensor cameras is the complete over sharpened video , i think the A3 has a much better overall look to its footage.

OA3 and OA1 have the same settings in camera and this is the true comparison between those, with raw footage from camera.

Gopro is only there to show how sharp it is compared to OA-series and that is the only one that have sharpening in camera since OA and OA3 doesn't have that function.

2022-10-7
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Nice test.  Would think this would help DJI Support.

2022-10-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

This is starting to get like the overheating issue with the Action 2... this product line seems to be jinxed!  As for the X3 - great creative tool, but inevitably it can't match the image quality of normal cameras.  It's a different tool for a different job.  I put a video on YouTube showing that the X3 4K single lens mode gives results which to me are inferior to the Go 2, which is only 1440p.  Hence my comment that these numbers really don't mean a great deal.
2022-10-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

10-Bit Posted at 10-7 17:10
Nice test.  Would think this would help DJI Support.

And now I think my OA is actually sharp enough compared to OA3
2022-10-8
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 10-8 01:44
And now I think my OA is actually sharp enough compared to OA3

Haha!  Yep.
2022-10-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’m finding that with the beta firmware, there is just more in camera sharpening, but the basic focusing is still just  ‘off’ slightly. Lacking a little detail in distance, but weirdly, pointing at my face, my shirt seems to focus but not my face! A beautifier came to mind so I asked, and Osmo’s response was that no such effect was in the camera firmware.

It is very odd how your face can be slightly indistinct while your shirt (on the same plane) looks ok. A colour thing? Camera doesn’t like pink or red or something?
2022-10-8
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI needs to not add a  sharpness hidden in the camera, adjusted by software, they need to allow users that sharpness. Oh I forgot it is not a gopro, less  manual controls
2022-10-8
Use props
Amuzis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Arpettaz Posted at 10-8 04:37
I thought I would join this discussion because there is clearly a problem with the Osmo Action 3, but I'm not convinced it's a hardware issue.  And I also don't understand the pre-occupation with minimal focal length because my own tests today suggest the problem is much bigger.

I have been running tests for the last few hours with 3 cameras - Pocket 2, Action 2 and Osmo Action 3. (Note that I don't have access to the Beta firmware for the OA3.)  I have been using the Pro mode to set ISO and shutter speed manually to allow a fairer comparison between the 3 cameras.  They all have the same sensor size, but obviously the Pocket 2 is superior because of the f1.8 aperture.  So, no surprise Pocket 2 video footage and 12mp photos are super sharp compared to the Action 2 and Osmo Action 3.  Interestingly, there is not much to separate the quality of video and photos between the Action 2 and Osmo Action 3 - but the Action 2 is marginally better.  

Would you be so kind and post some samples, please?
On another thread, someone posted a comparison of a whole OA lineup and the difference in sharpness is very noticeable.
Link to thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D781%26typeid%3D781
2022-10-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I wonder whether it would be revealing if someone took a photo or video of their face (or someone else's) but with a comb or something like it held up against their cheek, to see whether the face seems soft but the comb is sharp.  Something like a ruler or tape measure would probably do the job also.
2022-10-8
Use props
Pocketcoin
lvl.2
Singapore

i was determined to keep OA3, so i tried to convince myself by using it as per my activities... im not so keen anymore

so i dont know if a hyper lapse is a good sample, but i got this unusable file because the camera lost focus...

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArMrRSAFW_tCgZ9v0rt-r_sxENtCmg?e=wrtVzF

but it recovered in the end.

it should be software, i noticed the camera seems to over react and doesnt know what to do with light changes.

Screenshot 2022-10-08 224018.png
2022-10-8
Use props
Amuzis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-8 05:04
I wonder whether it would be revealing if someone took a photo or video of their face (or someone else's) but with a comb or something like it held up against their cheek, to see whether the face seems soft but the comb is sharp.  Something like a ruler or tape measure would probably do the job also.

It's not the issue of face focus like in phones for example. If that would be the case book/text and object pictures made earlier would be sharp. Exactly the same photos of the subject have been made at different distances from the camera as well. That said I wouldn't mind doing it but my OA3 have been returned (14 days deadline) so all I can do to contribute is my opinion based on materials gathered here.
2022-10-8
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Arpettaz Posted at 10-8 04:37
I thought I would join this discussion because there is clearly a problem with the Osmo Action 3, but I'm not convinced it's a hardware issue.  And I also don't understand the pre-occupation with minimal focal length because my own tests today suggest the problem is much bigger.

I have been running tests for the last few hours with 3 cameras - Pocket 2, Action 2 and Osmo Action 3. (Note that I don't have access to the Beta firmware for the OA3.)  I have been using the Pro mode to set ISO and shutter speed manually to allow a fairer comparison between the 3 cameras.  They all have the same sensor size, but obviously the Pocket 2 is superior because of the f1.8 aperture.  So, no surprise Pocket 2 video footage and 12mp photos are super sharp compared to the Action 2 and Osmo Action 3.  Interestingly, there is not much to separate the quality of video and photos between the Action 2 and Osmo Action 3 - but the Action 2 is marginally better.  

"They all have the same sensor size, but obviously the Pocket 2 is superior because of the f1.8 aperture.  So, no surprise Pocket 2 video footage and 12mp photos are super sharp compared to the Action 2 and Osmo Action 3. "

Would just like to add that Pocket 2 with wider aperture f/1.8 doesn't make it sharper, but have less in focus.
But there P2 have focus and not fixed focus like action cameras does, so that's why it is sharper.
2022-10-8
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Arpettaz Posted at 10-8 06:30
You are right about the auto focus feature of the Pocket 2.  But I dont agree with your point about aperture and sharpness.   Wider aperture can actually make pictures and video look sharper - not in terms of focus but the amount of softening.  This could be because of diffraction which is affected by aperture (although I concede that f1.8 compared to f2.8 may not make enough of a difference to cause diffraction and softening, but you never know).  The video footage and photos I have taken with the Osmo Action 3 are just too soft rather than out of focus per se.

Big difference between like f/1.8 and f/16 when there is softness because of diffraction. f/2.8 would not cause softness because of that on any lens I know of.
2022-10-8
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pocketcoin Posted at 10-8 05:13
i was determined to keep OA3, so i tried to convince myself by using it as per my activities... im not so keen anymore

so i dont know if a hyper lapse is a good sample, but i got this unusable file because the camera lost focus...

I also noticed it makes a mess if you go into even slightly shady area sky immediately blows out then looks almost posterised as it comes back to more correct exposure.
The original Osmo Action definitely didn't do that.
2022-10-9
Use props
Pocketcoin
lvl.2
Singapore

osmonauta Posted at 10-9 09:22
I simply cannot believe that this video is straight from the camera and was not recompressed. I have multiple hyperlapses on a bicycle where I go under tunnels, underpasses, forests, shady areas, and my footage is not even close to being as bad as this one. Why is the footage shaking so much? It seems there's something definitely wrong with your camera.

ahh yes, i'm using a chest mount doing trail running... the area is not even badly lit, that's why it recovered its sharpness near the end.

admittedly though, it is difficult for the camera to do RS in that scenario.
2022-10-9
Use props
Pocketcoin
lvl.2
Singapore

osmonauta Posted at 10-9 14:23
I had no idea a chest mount is this bad when you are running. There are videos when people are testing the Action 3 while running and it looks super smooth. Like this one... (albeit he doesn't use a chest strap) ...fast forward to 4:30 for the running test.

https://youtu.be/mVf1rYCDQaA?t=272

yeah holding it with the stick is more stable than the chest mount. i just hope they can fix the focus and sharpness issue...
2022-10-9
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

100%.  Running the chest mount is no good for smooth footage.  Handholding reduces the shock of your footsteps pounding - like a shock absorber.  So you get much smoother results.
2022-10-9
Use props
djiuser_tSimFUP2RM9H
lvl.1
Flight distance : 137943 ft
United States

zero issue before or after firmware update.
2022-10-18
Use props
wallybadea
lvl.2
Romania

here are some pictures taken from 30 cm. wide and dewarp

https://s.go.ro/mbi9hqaj
2022-10-19
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now