123Next >
8088 82 2022-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andrei193
Second Officer
Flight distance : 240856 ft
Romania

To all users who got the beta firmware, please post photo raw files (on google drive or dropbox) of a book page at 30 cm and 50 cm of the camera. I am gonna check on them and see if it's hardware related or software related. The RAW files eliminate all the post processing guessing.

P.S. Please also set the timer at 2 seconds and shoot on a tripod or on a table to eliminate handshake movement. And also if possible in a well light room or outside.
2022-10-4
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-4
Use props
Amuzis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I suggest writing suggested settings so all shoots will be unified in that aspect.
2022-10-4
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

Amuzis Posted at 10-4 11:53
I suggest writing suggested settings so all shoots will be unified in that aspect.

I don't want to make it too complicated. If users respect what I already suggested I think it's enough.
2022-10-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... 4S68_SI?usp=sharing
Quick test since it's dark here, pillow is about 30cm away from camera.

Before update and after update images.

5s delay and ISO 100-200

When in 4K, I did a quick video test with the beta firmware also.

Tomorrow I will record video in daylight.

2022-10-4
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-4
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Here is the output for the first set provided.  Difference looks minor - old vs beta.

2022-10-4
Use props
Amuzis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Although I have send the link via PM.
I will leave it here as well so all of You can have a look.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rTbVjQNpEB6zDQFq3q49t_773zPH8oYT

Both are shoot in iso 100 with 1/40 exposure.
2022-10-4
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Here is the second set.  Letters do not look as crisp as would be expected.

2022-10-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

I could actually not see any difference between beta and not beta firmware on images.

My plan tomorrow is actually going out testing it out while driving my atv or something. Going to test out my mic-adapter also so make them into same video.
So then I can see if there is actually any difference that we will notice.

From what I have tested, Ultra Wide gives best video, Wide is good enough. But Dewarp do have digital zoom makes it less sharp.

If only we could choose sharpness ourself in camera.
2022-10-4
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Here is the last set provided.  Sharpening was zero on all images outputted.  These also look less sharp than expected.  A good comparable is any other action cam - though preferably the Action 2 or Action 1. Test shots before and after - are also useful for direct one vs one comparisons - to confirm the effect if any the beta firmware has.  So far it looks like the beta firmware has provided little to no changes in regards to improving focus sharpness.  DJI Support should chime in their assessment as well - based on their own conclusions.

Generally we do not sharpen any photos or video unless absolutely necessary.  Even then we do not use the basic sharpening tools available.  There are many more sophisticated PS methods that render cleaner results with much less artifacting.

2022-10-4
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-4
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Purely to simply give everyone a quick look of the images.  But most definitely anyone can and should view the originals firsthand.  I would always encourage that.  But some on the forum may not have the viewing or editing apps.  Most now have a pretty good idea how the images are panning out after the beta firmware.  Hopefully DJI Support can respond accordingly.  The whole point is to push forward to get a resolution to the problem asap.

The more information DJI Support has - the faster they can respond.

2022-10-4
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

As far as the beta firmware is concerned, it does not solve the problem in any way, I downloaded the various dngs and the situation is dramatic.
Here is just a hardware problem, a misjudgment by DJI, imho is impossible to fix something hardware on the lenses via software.
I do the RMA today.
2022-10-4
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

johansenfoto Posted at 10-4 13:01
https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... 4S68_SI?usp=sharing
Quick test since it's dark here, pillow is about 30cm away from camera.

Yours is definitely defocused. No difference after firmware update.
2022-10-4
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

osmonauta Posted at 10-4 13:09
I just could not wait until daylight so I had to try it in the evening. These were taken in a dark room ...hey, at least you know how it looks in the dark :-)

Good news: it is somewhat better than the previous FW because now at least I can read the small text on the book.

Yours seem the best in terms of sharpness. But the center of the image should have had better clarity. The sides are more sharp.
2022-10-4
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

Amuzis Posted at 10-4 13:34
Although I have send the link via PM.
I will leave it here as well so all of You can have a look.

Yours clearly shows that your lens has bad calibration. The left side is what it should be. The right side loses detail and also a little in the center. Looks like bad calibration on the right side.
2022-10-4
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

If your camera has bad focus of the face (when vlogging), I suspect the firmware won't do much in terms of resolving this issue. I will personally wait for other batches. Thank you all for sharing and helping. Maybe DJI will make use of your samples also.
2022-10-4
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-5
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

osmonauta Posted at 10-5 01:27
How do you know when the next “batch” will be distributed - if at all? I doubt DJI will announce.

Just wait a few months.
2022-10-5
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

andrei193 Posted at 10-4 21:28
Yours is definitely defocused. No difference after firmware update.

I guess so, but will take a new picture today in daylight and outside to see and record video while driving to check.
2022-10-5
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

We will have to trust the Company,   and as well brick stores that hold stock. unless they recall and stamp the new boxes, no one will know the new batch,    even ifthey updated to the latest firmware in the  camera it still be unknown.  Please take a photo  most look   one way, then  fov /distance changed.
2022-10-5
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-5
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

so all factory cameras are 3 feet/1m of focal that they are saying because the lens is hte issue to  hold it to a selfie stick a meter away and all be fine, that is lost sales right there.
2022-10-5
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Fishycomics Posted at 10-5 07:52
so all factory cameras are 3 feet/1m of focal that they are saying because the lens is hte issue to  hold it to a selfie stick a meter away and all be fine, that is lost sales right there.

They said 30 cm (1 feet)
2022-10-5
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The lens is so wide angle, that taking selfies close up distorts your face and are out of focus. Move the camera 3 feet away and the wide angle lens makes selfie shots look a bit far away (and actually, on my OA3, STILL out of focus on me).

That means as a vlogging camera, this is currently not really a great option.  For the time being, mine’s joining the GoPro 9 in a cupboard!
2022-10-5
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Here is the last set.  Always included is the EXIF data as that information is critical to knowing the shooting parameters for DJI Support.  The engineers may or may not be able to correct this problem via firmware.  It appears that the current beta has minimal to no visible effect.  No doubt with all this user input they now have more than sufficient data to make their own assessments - and how best to proceed.  If this is indeed a hardware lens supplier problem - firmware alone will not likely be able to sufficiently correct the minimum focus point distance.

If 30cm is the minimum focus distance - and the lens does not achieve this - then the lens manufacturer looks to be on the hook to correct the problem for DJI.  All users should be looking to DJI Support to make good on their promise to deliver such.  My unit is scheduled to arrive next week and at that time DJI Support has asked me to help them resolve this issue.  In the meantime - if you have this issue - you should be looking to DJI for redress.

The OA3 looks to be able to deliver good enough photos and video for its price point.  But the minimum focus distance issue needs to be corrected.  You would think the lens manufacturer contractor would be liable to recompense DJI accordingly for not fulfilling the minimum focus distance parameter requirement.  Obviously moving your subject further away will help the lens resolve clearer in the meantime.  But that is not what purchasers bargained for.  

DJI Support please respond and provide your faithful users an answer how you intend to recompense them for this unfortunate issue.  Many as you have seen - have already returned their OA3 for a full refund or simply cancelled their order to purchase one.  Thx

“ Please do email to us back again once you have the device on hand and already confirmed that the issue is occuring with your device also.”

2022-10-5
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 10-5 07:57
They said 30 cm (1 feet)

sorry I am old school Lol  1foot is not bad at all its an improvement of 18 inches if asked, so confused. listen to my heart.
2022-10-5
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Here is the advertised minimum focus distance from DJI Specifications.

2022-10-5
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Here you guys can see how good/bad this beta firmware is.
I will say I probably need to contact DJI about my camera

2022-10-5
Use props
Amuzis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

From 55s all the way to 2:24 rocks on the left side lack so much clarity. Hill in the background also looks hazy. When you did post sharpening it looks how it should be straight out of the box after all it's a camera made in 2022, not in 2012. Original Osmo Action was way sharper than this. As for a comparison between the GoPro and OA3 on 2:30, this is the first time I see such a poor image on the GoPro side.  Part of me regrets that I sold my trusted OA1 to get OA3 other part believes in DJI after all they always deliver in the end.
2022-10-5
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 10-5 12:17
Here you guys can see how good/bad this beta firmware is.
I will say I probably need to contact DJI about my camera

Can say that all the forum users that have provided their time and resources to resolving this issue has been very much appreciated.  It is unfortunate that some users contributing their expertise have returned their devices to DJI because of the very tight new purchase 14 day return window.  They were excellent contributors and their valuable input is a great loss to DJI.  Hopefully DJI Support recognizes this and reaches out to them.

If you feel you need to contact DJI about your camera - you and all others - may have a valid position for them to recompense you based on not achieving their advertised 30cm minimum focus distance parameters.  See screenshot and link attached.

We have been in constant contact with DJI Support on a number of unrelated matters - and they so far have been quite professional.  Most times they will take my advice and implement changes like the new file numbering system etc on the OA3.  Anyways would expect DJI Support to be very reasonable about this issue as well.

https://www.dji.com/service/policy?site=brandsite&from=footer

“What Will DJI Do
DJI will attempt to diagnose and resolve your problem by telephone, e-mail or online chat. DJI may direct you to download and install particular software updates.

If your problem cannot be resolved over the telephone or through the application of software updates, you may be required to deliver the product to DJI for further examination. DJI will arrange for repair or replacement service at no cost if the problem falls under this Limited Warranty.”

2022-10-5
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Amuzis Posted at 10-5 12:51
From 55s all the way to 2:24 rocks on the left side lack so much clarity. Hill in the background also looks hazy. When you did post sharpening it looks how it should be straight out of the box after all it's a camera made in 2022, not in 2012. Original Osmo Action was way sharper than this. As for a comparison between the GoPro and OA3 on 2:30, this is the first time I see such a poor image on the GoPro side.  Part of me regrets that I sold my trusted OA1 to get OA3 other part believes in DJI after all they always deliver in the end.

Just straight out of camera it do look really soft and I think there could be some serious focus issues. I actually did compare it with OA1 also today, but I didn't include those comparison clips (I should)

Gopro do look really terrible when there is no sharpening at all, so I really wonder how they can manage to make it looks great with medium sharpening that I always use.

But even after sharpening in post, I doesn't think either look good enough.. atleast on my monitor.
2022-10-5
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-5
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

osmonauta Posted at 10-5 16:48
I put these on GDrive so YT will not recompress it. These are straight from the camera, no post. Color setting is on Normal. All other settings are basic Auto.

A quick 2.7k H264 shot with the beta FW (606 MB).

I don't see all this difference, the new firmware is too pumped with sharpness.
2022-10-5
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

MarcoR Posted at 10-5 22:41
I don't see all this difference, the new firmware is too pumped with sharpness.

Your assessment looks correct.  It appears what DJI Support Management did was simply have their software engineers change code to add a ton of sharpness to the video.  Here you can see the 2.7K artifacts present when sharpening is applied in an overly heavy handed manner.  We would never sharpen a video to this degree as the artifacts once implemented - are baked - into the file.  Making it extremely difficult to ever un-sharpen.

In some ways - the old firmware is better than the beta - as you can apply sharpening in post as you desire.  So what DJI Support should do is make this an option in the Menu vs leaving the user no choice but to always over sharpen.

In regards to the 2K file it is just like the Action 2 footage - ie. very blurry.  We tested extensively all shooting parameters - and found especially the 2K pretty much unusable for our purposes - as it was not much different than video footage we got from 10 years ago.  So ended up only ever using 2.7K and 4K on the Action 2 while we had it.  It was a shame as 240fps was not available in 2.7K.  That is definitely missing in the OA3.  

In regards to audio quality - the Action 2 had anomalies where sound would significantly reduce when certain specific higher frame rates were used.  I posted about this in Action 2 and it would be interesting to know if DJI Support implemented changes and corrections for this issue in the OA3 as well.

Anyways having all this data for DJI Support to test and review will help them decide what to do from here.  What some have noted about “batches” makes sense.  Often when a supplier provides a defective product. ie. lens - it is corrected in the next round of product assembly - or another vendor is found that can provide as per the 30cm focus specifications required.  

That next “batch” will often correct the issue.  DJI Support keeps track of all of this via device serial numbers.  So rest assured they know exactly what devices are affected vs not.

2022-10-5
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

In fact, I don't understand why we haven't put in the ability to set the sharpness, which also exists in cheap cameras.
They can do many beautiful things via firmware, but the developers do what is decided by the top management, who often take absurd directions.
DJI has always seemed quite deaf to its buyers, what is fundamental for producing competitive products.
Such as the absurd choice not to provide the SDKs on some new consumer drones to move the business to the so-called pro products, which would have further increased sales.
Dunno, I really don't understand them sometimes...
2022-10-5
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

This is a non-beta firmware shot with my OA3, if you want to do lens focus assessments.
All automatically, without tripod.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 91/view?usp=sharing
2022-10-5
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

It is very weird what DJI Support did with the close focus and overall clarity.  Everything so far points to a lens vs a firmware sharpening issue.  I also received a similar email from them referring to “calibration” that I posted in another thread:

“Thank you for your feedback, engineers are currently analyzing and testing this issue.

At present, it has been found that there are a few cases where the camera's internal parameters are too large after being calibrated in the factory, resulting in a remote minimum focus distance, and the subject is clearer when the subject is slightly farther away. resolution problem.”

camera’s internal parameters are too large“- this is the crux of the problem.

Anyways the camera image is somewhat blurry.  Basic LR tool sharpening is terrible - but this gives a representation what artifacts appear - when simple over sharpening is applied with a heavy hand.  Will be interesting how upper management responds to this issue.  Do a general recall ie. costly - or only exchange if requested ie. less costly.  My suspicion is the latter as some will be clueless to this from the get go.

Happens all the time especially with car manufacturing.  Only those that post online get repairs done under warranty via TSBs.  All others not viewing threads hundreds of pages long are clueless and miss out accordingly.

2022-10-6
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Here I pulled an old test shot from my Action 2.  Should be the same size sensor - maybe the exact sensor in the OA3 if DJI did not change this.  The IQ is perfectly acceptable at close focus distances.  Perfectly decent clarity when zoomed right in.  Not blurry in any way.  Handheld.  Just randomly taking quick shots checking the camera out.

If my OA3 cannot do this simple shot with the same close focus IQ clarity - it will confirm that the lens is definitively defective.  We will see.

2022-10-6
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules