Hidden Expenses
1991 8 2022-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

My DJI FPV Drone (official name) came with everything needed to charge the battery in minimum time.  Not so with the Avata.  To exploit this drone and charge the batteries in minimum time (47 minutes) you also need the DJI 65W Portable Charger, yet another $80!  This reveals the hidden expenses in the Avata solution.  So for example in my case where I'm converting from my DJI FPV Drone (official name),  in order to have a practical solution the following is required: DJI Avata (No RC) $629 + FlyMore Kit $279 + DJI 65W Portable Charger $80 + DJI Care Refresh 1-Year Plan (DJI Avata) $79 = $1,067!  Not exactly a competitive price for a Cinewhoop!  Especially considering this does not include transmitter and goggles.  BTW: The Avata Adapter (single charge) will only charge at 45 watts (~90 minutes).  The Avata hub will charge at 65 watts (~47 minutes).  Most 3rd party USB power supplies will not deliver the 17 volts the hub needs for fastest charging, so you really need the DJI Portable charger for best results.

BTW: At this time neither the FlyMore Kit nor the Portable Charger nor the Charging Hub are available now anywhere, including DJI.

2022-10-5
Use props
Xviews
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229255 ft
Germany

"Most 3rd party USB power supplies will not deliver the 17 volts the hub needs for fastest charging, so you really need the DJI Portable charger for best results."

don't talk so much garbage. Every PD power supply with 65W meets the requirements.
5V/5A, 9V/5A, 12V/5A, 15V/4,3A, 20V/3,25A, 5-20V/3,25A
2022-10-5
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

Xviews Posted at 10-5 13:17
"Most 3rd party USB power supplies will not deliver the 17 volts the hub needs for fastest charging, so you really need the DJI Portable charger for best results."

don't talk so much garbage. Every PD power supply with 65W meets the requirements.

Not so.  It depends on how many ports the PS has.  For an example, if the PS has two ports it may put out 45w on one and 20w on the other.  The only ones that you can be sure are USB-C PS's with 1 port.  You have to study the PS in question, as actually there are few that will actually put out 65w on the USB-C port.  I won't bother to create a video with my USB Testing Meter to convince you, but suffice it to say that the only way to get the Avata hub to charge at minimum time FOR SURE is to get the DJI Portable PS.  Again, the rating on a USB PS is the total watts of all the ports.  What each port will put out in PD mode requires researching the actual PS.  And this is not "garbage" that I'm telling you!

2022-10-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

im glad dji omitted the charger and "reduced" the price of the kit.  if you already have one then you actually save.  if you don't want one, you aren't forced to "buy" one.  it's 2022 not 2012; things have changed.
if you are going to buy teh avata drone only, doesn't make sense for the drone and charger to be stuffed into that box making it more expensive.

if i have to put a charger in the box, guess what happens when i have 20,000 drones and only 18,000 chargers ready to pack?
2022-10-5
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56949 ft
United Kingdom

And here's me using my mavic 2 charger, it may take a while, but still charges it.
Companies cant win, supply a charger and folk whine that why can't they use same charger, and they have 20 chargers. Dont supply one and people whine that they dont get one. Companies these days just can't win.

Maybe they should sell everything separate, so you can just buy the bits you need.

Basically its a sign of the times, people dont want to pay for stuff they dont need, and most of the world are trying to reduce waste/rubbish/landfill so are trying to reduce the amount of stuff they dont use or need that just gets binned.
2022-10-5
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56949 ft
United Kingdom

For fast charging, I use an Anker 65 watt charger with USB c. Its capable of 20v 3.25amps
2022-10-5
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

I bought samsung 65w charger, its has 3 ports, one is 65w, if you use all 3, it will devide power like 25, 15 and something else... Payed 31 bucks... was so cheap on amazon, normally costs around 70. and now also my S22Ultra charges insanely fast, still had an older quick charger from my older phone, so win win! And also, if you have a recent laptop that charges over USBC, I also can use that charger and it charges my avata batteries in no time!

Got this one: https://www.samsung.com/us/mobil ... ter-ep-t6530nbegus/
Hope you can find a good deal, or find a 3th party charger, found a few just now on amazon for 24 dollar

And you dont need Care Refresh... Its like an insurrance, I didnt take it for now, why? As you pay for the care refresh and also pay for an extra drone (smalle amount, i think 130?) so care refresh + 130 = about 200. I rather buy a new one and have the crashed one for spare parts!

2022-10-5
Use props
deeve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 72864 ft
United States

This is the one I picked up and it works great.  I like that it has additional ports that will allow me to charge all three batteries at once (at a slower rate) or the Fly More Kit batteries at the higher rate using one port.  Also, unlike the DJI Charger, the cord can be replaced with it goes bad. I may be wrong about that but from the photos it looks like the DJI charger has the wire hard wired to the brick. I do think the OP is over stating the difficulty at finding a charger that will charge at the higher rate.

https://www.anker.com/products/a ... iant=41974350315670
I dont want to get in an arguement about the value, but I priced everything out for a similar spect cinewhoop and I dont think DJI's pricing is out of whack.  To get similar video you would spend as much or more considering buying a GoPro or something. If you already had a lot of the gear maybe, but for me coming into it with nothing (sold all my stuff 2 years ago) I thought it was a good price for a quality setup with some great features...and that is from someone who hates DJI's model of making you get approval for every time I fly and propriety parts.
2022-10-5
Use props
Xviews
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229255 ft
Germany

rgp1942 Posted at 10-5 14:10
Not so.  It depends on how many ports the PS has.  For an example, if the PS has two ports it may put out 45w on one and 20w on the other.  The only ones that you can be sure are USB-C PS's with 1 port.  You have to study the PS in question, as actually there are few that will actually put out 65w on the USB-C port.  I won't bother to create a video with my USB Testing Meter to convince you, but suffice it to say that the only way to get the Avata hub to charge at minimum time FOR SURE is to get the DJI Portable PS.  Again, the rating on a USB PS is the total watts of all the ports.  What each port will put out in PD mode requires researching the actual PS.  And this is not "garbage" that I'm telling you!

If you buy a 65W PD charger, then it is capable of 65W on the USB-C port. I have 2 chargers and a powerbank here, funny that they can do that. Every new smartphone comes with a PD charger and no one is forced to buy the DJI charger.
2022-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules