DJI Osmo Action 3 Splitting Video Files
9644 28 2022-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gs9178
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Noticcing my Osmo Action 3 splits longer recorded video files into shorter clips of lenghts between 4-10min depending on the fps.
This is quite annoying and i dont really want this to happen.

Curious if this is theres a setting to prevent this from happening and if others have this "problem" too ?

I call it a "problem" as i know other prior Osmo, Pocket cameras have had this "problem" due to memory card formating limitations.

I am using a 128GB Prograde V60 MicroSD Card so i doubt its the speed of the card.

Thanks.

2022-10-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there gs9178. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you.
2022-10-6
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

The only action camera that doesn't split videos into 4GB files is Insta360. But a 30ish GB file have bigger chance of getting corrupted and you will lose ALL footage recorded from that.
2022-10-6
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-6
Use props
linewalker
lvl.3
Flight distance : 500502 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-6 01:54
Hello there gs9178. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you.

Hey Stephen..... do you know why my Action 3 is stuck in Standard Dewarp Mode FOV? It does not allow me to change to Wide of super wide. My settings are at 4K 60 FPS if that matters
2022-10-7
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-6 01:54

I never find it an isue with the Action 2 for FPV flying footage. The files join seemlessly in Filmora Wondershare editing software anyway. You never see the difference. The hardest thing to master is the edit settings for LUT's etc. Still, never been a massive issue.
2022-10-10
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-10
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 10-10 05:50
I made a 5x Hyperlapse recording of an 80 minute ride (which came out to be about 16 minutes played back). The file was split at about the 4G mark and there IS a noticeable jump after the 2 files got merged together using DaVinci Resolve.

I have seen jump in ordinary clips from my gopro 10 and OA1 too, gopro was worse.

Insta360 ONE RS 4K mod is the way to go, but big files 20-30GB is a pain for many computers to work with
2022-10-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

CoreyB10 Posted at 10-10 05:37
I never find it an isue with the Action 2 for FPV flying footage. The files join seemlessly in Filmora Wondershare editing software anyway. You never see the difference. The hardest thing to master is the edit settings for LUT's etc. Still, never been a massive issue.

Hi there CoreyB10. Thank you for the reply and for giving out these interesting information about this matter. Again, thank you for your support and keep filming.
2022-10-10
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 10-6 02:26
The only action camera that doesn't split videos into 4GB files is Insta360. But a 30ish GB file have bigger chance of getting corrupted and you will lose ALL footage recorded from that.

Yes, not to mention huge files take longer to copy.
2022-10-10
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

I remember that my Pannasonic camera was mentioning something about this in the manual:

"Wanneer u een SDHC-geheugenkaart gebruikt, kunt u zonder onderbreking
doorgaan met opnemen, zelfs als het bestand de 4 GB overschrijdt, maar het
filmbestand wordt dan in afzonderlijke bestanden opgenomen en afgespeeld.
Bij gebruik van een SDXC-geheugenkaart kunt u een film in één bestand
opnemen, zelfs als het bestand groter is dan 4 GB."

Sorry, I was lazy so I've put it through Google Translate for you here:

"When using an SDHC memory card, you can play without interruption
continue recording even if the file exceeds 4 GB, but it
movie file is then recorded in separate files and played back.
When using an SDXC memory card, you can save a movie in one file
even if the file size exceeds 4 GB."
2022-10-13
Use props
gs9178
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

To add to this discussion and the post from johansenfoto:
I recorded a 5.3K/24/High Bitrate video on the Gopro Hero 11 Black with a 256GB Prograde V60 MicroSD Card.

Recorded about 53 minutes and there was no file splitting / file chaptering (which i prefer). (Overheating is a whole separate issue.)

Just an FYI this contradicts the update from GoPro's website on File Chaptering where they say chaptering on the Hero 11 would occur every 15 minutes approximately 12GB for an SD card >64GB
https://community.gopro.com/s/ar ... tion?language=en_US
Perhaps something is different with a 128GB/256GB card.

I sent my Osmo Action 3 back because of the focus issues.

2022-10-16
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

gs9178 Posted at 10-16 13:49
To add to this discussion and the post from johansenfoto:
I recorded a 5.3K/24/High Bitrate video on the Gopro Hero 11 Black with a 256GB Prograde V60 MicroSD Card.

For my Gopro 10 I use a Sandisk 128GB v30 and it spilts every 4,3GB and there is always a little sound click/clip when it happening.
And for a note; last winter when I had Insta360 ONE R with same size card with same specs, it recorded a huge 30GB file.
2022-10-16
Use props
gs9178
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 10-16 14:22
For my Gopro 10 I use a Sandisk 128GB v30 and it spilts every 4,3GB and there is always a little sound click/clip when it happening.
And for a note; last winter when I had Insta360 ONE R with same size card with same specs, it recorded a huge 30GB file.

Thanks johansenfoto for that clarification. Looks like the Gopro Hero 11 Black definitely increased the time before file splitting/chaptering to the point where its even longer that what they list and honestly with a 256GB v60 card there's no file splitting ive seen yet.
2022-10-16
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-16
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-16
Use props
gs9178
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I stand corrected - i uploaded all the recorded files to my computer.  The Gopro Hero 11 Black DOES split/chapter files every ~12GB as they describe here:
https://community.gopro.com/s/ar ... tion?language=en_US

For the Gopro Hero 11: When played back from the camera directly the recording will play through as one continuous video (this is what i was seeing).
For the Osmo Action 3: When played back from the camera directly the recording will NOT play through as one continuous video.

So here's a summary (using in camera memory card formatting):
Gopro Hero 11 Black: Splits every 12GB; Playback of split files as one continuous video in camera.
Osmo Action 3: Splits every 4GB; NO playback of split files as one continuos video in camera.

2022-10-16
Use props
G1tgudscrub
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1434603 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should give the option to split files or not, with warnings of the pros and cons.

Personally. I see the intention of splitting files. I'm aware of that, and still prefer single large files.

4k/60 which is my usual recording is only 3.75 minutes of footage (3:45). With my recording sessions each usually being of 15-20m of action rounds Since I'm syncing 3 cameras together it'd be easier if it was just one file.
2022-10-17
Use props
djiuser_OFJgGKsAfxHN
lvl.2
United States

The problem is there is a pop sound when the video is split that is noticeable. It’s only for a frame and can be deleted but I wish the sound wasn’t effected by video splitting.
2022-11-30
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wonder whether a different card might help with that popping?
2022-11-30
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Could be if you have a really fast card it will help, but even my GP10 makes a sound where files splits.
2022-11-30
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My 9 was pretty good in that respect. Haven’t done it with the 11. The files just linked with no gap. When I first saw that, I was really surprised.

As you say, it may be to do with the write speed of the card. Some can have a great read speed but a not so good write speed! I think that A3 files can be pretty large as well ....
2022-11-30
Use props
djiuser_wjmHQgDMaaQ0
New
Slovakia

It is strange. All recorded videos are splitted to 3.5GB except for one. I recorded 2.7k/30 Hz with HDR and 20 min loop, size 7GB. I will test it, maybe loop max will work
2023-3-23
Use props
djiuser_wjmHQgDMaaQ0
New
Slovakia

Tested now and it works. 25 min in 2.7k/50/max. Set Loop=max and you can made infinity videos . Enjoy
2023-3-23
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That’s great news.  I thought that it might have been a limitation of the sd card system.
2023-3-23
Use props
lutzmix
lvl.4
Germany

loop recording

2,7k 25fps  26 min file size 7,8gb

it is only intern
file size at sdcard.   X x 1gb
IMG_20230324_074427.jpg
Screenshot_2023-03-23-21-18-08-739_com.google.android.documentsui.jpg
2023-3-23
Use props
mygiguser
lvl.2
United States

OA4 now does what you asked for.
2023-9-4
Use props
Tom Steele
New

United States

snorkel Posted at 2022-10-10 20:51
Yes, not to mention huge files take longer to copy.

It takes the same amount of time to copy 5 x 4gb files as it does to copy one 20gb file.

Why do people apologize for this flaw.

If DJI thinks 4gb is the way to go with 4k60fps video they will eventually fall behind someone who doesn’t do this.

I’m my opinion the default of 4gb is fine.  But if they want the Pocket to be used for anything sports related or performance related then 4gb doesn’t work. You lose data and make syncing audio more challenging.

There should be an option for cards over a certain size to be able to be used with a larger file size.

I’m searching for a replacement now. I love a lot about my pocket two. I was even going to buy a pocket 3 if it overcame this. Now I will be looking at other options.
2023-9-16
Use props
Tom Steele
New

United States

lutzmix Posted at 3-23 11:46
loop recording

[Image]

I am confused. I don’t see any files over 1.03gb on your card?

Where do you set the loop size?
2023-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules