699 2 2022-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Harbor Pictures Company
lvl.2
Flight distance : 693035 ft
United States

Hi all,

Had an instance flying the other day. Wanted to check if there is anything further I could do. Here’s the situation. Flying over water from a boat. Things going well, then I focused on the monitor too long for a shot. My spotter looked away too. During the 10 minute flight the pontoon moved, so I went to update my return to home setting to “return to controller” First time believe it or not using this feature. I thought I’d get it returning to me, and in the process regain sight of it. No luck. I’m using a Wi-Fi only iPad as my mobile device. But it was hot spot linked to my iPhone. Go 4 returned a “Mobile Device GPS signal low” error, and after several more minutes of scanning for it, I decided to put it down on shore 1/2 a mile away. Ended ok though. Due to higher winds I was at a low enough battery that I didn’t want to risk it. After reviewing the flight logs, I should have been able to see it. At the time I was looking, it was only 100 or so yards away. Time to get better glasses!

Can I get controller positioning from a Wi-Fi only iPad?

Thanks!
2022-10-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No, you can't.
Apple doesn't inclide a GPS receiver in wifi-only iPads and hotspotting is great for sharing internet data, but it doesn't share GPS location data.

I thought I’d get it returning to me, and in the process regain sight of it.
...  After reviewing the flight logs, I should have been able to see it. At the time I was looking, it was only 100 or so yards away.
If you are on a boat, unless you've flown a long way from te boat, it should be easy to use teh drone to find the boat and fly back.
Much easier than trying to find the drone.

2022-10-7
Use props
Harbor Pictures Company
lvl.2
Flight distance : 693035 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-7 15:03
No, you can't.
Apple doesn't inclide a GPS receiver in wifi-only iPads and hotspotting is great for sharing internet data, but it doesn't share GPS location data.

Good point. There were a few other pontoons out on the course. During the couple minutes I was deciding, I was looking at a few of the racers near us, looking for colors and placement to help pick us out. In the end, I just figured the shore was closer and a much bigger target. So it got the choice. Still working on better use of the app info in bright daylight on the iPad using the radar and map. More practice will definitely be helpful. Thanks for the answer and tip!
2022-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules