Avata Fly Away report disregarded by DJI
2037 9 2022-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_DknBo3RBXrVh
lvl.2

United States

Earlier I made a post about my Avata malfunctioning mid-flight due to a loss in responsiveness to the inputs on my R joystick (in sports mode, RTH able to acrivate on screen but no movement from drone) - ultimately resulting in the drone running out of battery and doing an emergency landing into a neighbor's yard (now irretrievable).  

One of the moderators here suggested that I file a fly away report - I have done so and over the course of a few weeks, this has resulted in the representative assisting me denying that my fly away occured because they have no record of it.  This is despite the fact that I've already uploaded my flight records, the video of my last flight, and jumped through all the hoops customer support has put me through.  

I waited weeks beyond what I was told to expect for my pre-order to arrive only for it to survive a mere handful of flights before never returning.  

So this is how DJI handles their fly aways?  They ask for the data, and upon review they shrug their shoulders and say it doesn't match up with their records and offer me the opportunity to purchase another drone at my own expense?  Classy.  
2022-10-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, there. We are greatly sorry to hear about that. We managed to find out your case number through your forum account. We noticed that our team has replied to your email and explained the issue to you. According to the flight record you provided and the flight record you  synced. It was the last flight record and there was no incident  happened. If you have any other data, please send it to us via email. We will try our best to help you out.
2022-10-8
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1702457 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have to ask, why is the neighbors yard non retrievable?
2022-10-8
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

Woobisah Posted at 10-8 17:40
I have to ask, why is the neighbors yard non retrievable?

I was just wondering the same thing lol. I'm getting my drone even if I have to scale a building over a barbed wire fence lol. So my neighbor surely would not stop me from getting it.
2022-10-8
Use props
djiuser_DknBo3RBXrVh
lvl.2

United States

The owner of the house is an elderly lady (well past retirement age) that does not speak english and through my translation attempts she has denied that any drone landed on her property and refuses to allow me on it.  Honestly, I can't really blame her - she had nothing to do with this and I'm just glad I didn't damage anything on her property (at least that I know of through my final feed on the goggles).  
Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that RTH did not function as it should have and the drone could have possibly emergency landed in an even more precarious location.  

2022-10-9
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

in america, i understand if you are unable to simply go onto someone's property without permission even if you are there to retrieve your property and especially if you asked and were denied.  depending on what state i live in, i might have went on their property without asking first and beg for forgiveness later but after asking and told "no" your only recourse may be the legal route.  trespassing can get you shot depending on who you are and what it looks like you are doing and this is more likely in some states than in others.  if you are comfortable with calling the police, perhaps they can help you....after all, they are there to keep the peace and you're paying for their services.

...and next time, get dji care refresh with flyaway coverage.
2022-10-9
Use props
djiuser_DknBo3RBXrVh
lvl.2

United States

Why in the world would I file a fly away report if nothing happened?  It's very convenient for your support team to point to any earlier flight that was included in the batch of flight data I sent and to just shrug your shoulders and say there's no problem.  

In my experience, DJI support is responsive but does very little to actually address the issues at hand.  

I would definitely have purchased care refresh if I had known this was likely to occur but now this experience has killed my love for this hobby and I do not feel comfortable flying fpv drones or wasting any more money on it.  5 batteries lined up and I didn't even get a chance  to use all of them since my drone decided it didn't want to come back.  Awesome.   
2022-10-26
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912661 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drone flys away.
Into someone's yard.
DJI check flight record, see nothing is wrong with telemetry data.
People ask why you don't ask the yard owner to just go get it.
You say, they're old and said no.
You won't call the police.

Yea, that sounds 100% like you're trying to get a free drone from dji.

Unless there's something else to this?
2022-10-26
Use props
djiuser_DknBo3RBXrVh
lvl.2

United States

Dragonfyr Posted at 10-26 09:25
Drone flys away.
Into someone's yard.
DJI check flight record, see nothing is wrong with telemetry data.

Yikes well that's certainly an insulting accusation.  How would I get a free drone if filing a fly away report automatically disables the drone in question.  And why would I want to replace a drone unless something was wrong with it in the first place?

I have uploaded flight records and data from the last flight where the drone malfunctioned and refused to return to home.  All DJI does is point to a previous flight that I had in another location the same day that had no issues.  The data from my last flight was sent as a whole batch from all the flights in the day.  How is it that they are able to point to earlier flights in that batch to tell me nothing is wrong but then ignore the other flights that I sent from the same day?  Then when I send them data specific to the last flight (video from goggles on last flight uploaded to google drive, flight data, and screen shots from data on phone), they refuse to acknowledge any of it and instead dismissively ask me if their solution (to buy another drone) was satisfactory.   

So what you're saying is unless I file a police report to get a drone I was flying recreationally back, I shouldn't really expect a company to be responsible for a product that's advertised as being able to safely return to home.

I'm guessing it's pretty hard for you (and a lot of other people on here, apparently) to put yourself in my shoes since you would probably trespass on someone else's property and break the law over something you were just doing for fun.  

Let's assume that I'm actually telling the truth but I don't feel like this is something that should involve the law and a retired lady that I can't even communicate with.  The fact remains that the drone stopped responding to user input and the return to home function did not function as it should have.  I originally contacted customer support over this matter who then suggested that I file the fly away report.  These are the actions of someone who 100% wants a free drone?  You should work for DJI.  
2022-10-26
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912661 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_DknBo3RBXrVh Posted at 10-26 10:54
Yikes well that's certainly an insulting accusation.  How would I get a free drone if filing a fly away report automatically disables the drone in question.  And why would I want to replace a drone unless something was wrong with it in the first place?

I have uploaded flight records and data from the last flight where the drone malfunctioned and refused to return to home.  All DJI does is point to a previous flight that I had in another location the same day that had no issues.  The data from my last flight was sent as a whole a batch from the day.  How is it that they are able to point to earlier flights in that batch to tell me nothing is wrong but then ignore the other flights that I sent from the same day?  Then when I send them data specific to the last flight (video from goggles on last flight uploaded to google drive, flight data, and screen shots from data on phone), they refuse to acknowledge any of it and instead dismissively ask me if their solution (to buy another drone) was satisfactory.   

Ok.

Good luck.
2022-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules