Osmo Action 3 - Is my footage experience issues?
4910 34 2022-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi All,
The osmo action 3 has been my first action camera and so I don't have anything to compare it against, I think I have the lack of focus issue as has been posted in this forum but wanted confirmation of if I am seeing correctly by other users. Here's the videos

[video removed]

[video removed]

and one more which hasnt fully proccesed yet to 4k (hopefully it is when u watch)
[video removed]

So from these vids can you see if I have the issue? I do admit from my own opinion they dont look that fantastic, i feel like my phone could get shots that were higher in detail?

Thanks for your replies in advanced!
2022-10-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It was not converted to 4K yet (the last one), but FHD enough for me, since I only have FHD displays.
Anyhow, I don't see issues with your footage.
Apart from the usual distortion you get with this action type of lens.
2022-10-10
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

They are not too bad, but your hand was really soft.

But I see in your first video, you also get that "jittering" around highlights and leaves
2022-10-10
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 10-10 02:40

But I see in your first video, you also get that "jittering" around highlights and leaves

Thanks for your responses so far, gives me a bit of relief. I will upload a video that has my face in it also too and link it soon just as an extra video
2022-10-10
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

EpicTree Posted at 10-10 03:50
Thanks for your responses so far, gives me a bit of relief. I will upload a video that has my face in it also too and link it soon just as an extra video

Heres video of my face, its only processed to 1080p thus far, hopefully soon 4k

what do you all think @Montfrooij @johansenfoto
2022-10-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

EpicTree Posted at 10-10 05:48
https://youtu.be/l7BkXTZUsDs

Heres video of my face, its only processed to 1080p thus far, hopefully soon 4k

This looks good to me.
What parts are you in doubt about?

2022-10-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 10-10 02:40

Jittering is not something the camera can prevent.
It is up to the operator to take measures to minimize the risk.
(some call it stuttering or judder)

I recently watched an interesting video about this.
Boringly technical, but worth a watch if you want to go in depth on this.
You have to click on the link, the owner did not allow the video to be watched on 3rd party sites.
But it is worth a click!

As you see, with an action camera you almost always do 'everything wrong' to prevent judder.
Big field of view, fast shutterspeeds, fast movements.
So that is a high high high risk of getting judder. (I believe that is the 'correct' technical term)

2022-10-10
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 10-10 06:10
Jittering is not something the camera can prevent.
It is up to the operator to take measures to minimize the risk.
(some call it stuttering or judder)

Jitter is the word I came up with, could be stuttering or something else.
My point was that there are errors in videos shot with OA3 that I have seen sometimes when pixelpeeping
2022-10-10
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 10-10 06:07
This looks good to me.
What parts are you in doubt about?

I guess the detail in my face isnt as strong as say whats behind it, like on first part in the ally the greenery behind me looks much more focused that my faceand then in the forrest i just wanted to make sure thats what the camera is expected to do in terms of like sharpness of leaves and stuff and just wanted another eye to see if they thought it should be better or not. The colours also do change a lot sometimes like sudddenly it looks like a boost of saturdation
2022-10-10
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

@EpicTree - here are some screenshots you wanted.  As discussed - getting other forum user opinions - might help you make your determination better.  What resolution did you shoot this video in?  I may not be able to respond immediately as I am heading out for the day.  Faces are always good subject matter - as very fine details like eyelashes and wrinkles etc. show up better.  

Always try to shoot in 4K max resolution when testing for best IQ details and results.  I ended up always shooting in 4Kp60 HB or 2.7Kp60 HS or 4Kp120 RS - after very extensive in-depth real world testing.  IQ was good enough for me with the Action 2.  Hardly ever shot in 2K.  Unfortunately 2Kp240 in good light was really terrible IQ for me.

2022-10-10
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

10-Bit Posted at 10-10 07:53
@EpicTree - here are some screenshots you wanted.  As discussed - getting other forum user opinions - might help you make your determination better.  What resolution did you shoot this video in?  I may not be able to respond immediately as I am heading out for the day.  Faces are always good subject matter - as very fine details like eyelashes and wrinkles etc. show up better.  

Always try to shoot in 4K max resolution when testing for best IQ details and results.  I ended up always shooting in 4Kp60 HB or 2.7Kp60 HS or 4Kp120 RS - after very extensive in-depth real world testing.  IQ was good enough for me with the Action 2.  Hardly ever shot in 2K.  Unfortunately 2Kp240 in good light was really terrible IQ for me.

I shot this in 4k 30, youtube seems to just be taking its damn time finishing the processing, so will take another look once its gotten to 4k. even the HD thing says processing still

2022-10-10
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 10-10 06:50
Jitter is the word I came up with, could be stuttering or something else.
My point was that there are errors in videos shot with OA3 that I have seen sometimes when pixelpeeping

Yeah, I know, they mix these terms up.
My point is that a camera can't help jitter.
The operator has to take measures.
That video is very boring, but helpful if you want to understand what you can do.
2022-10-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

EpicTree Posted at 10-10 07:34
I guess the detail in my face isnt as strong as say whats behind it, like on first part in the ally the greenery behind me looks much more focused that my faceand then in the forrest i just wanted to make sure thats what the camera is expected to do in terms of like sharpness of leaves and stuff and just wanted another eye to see if they thought it should be better or not. The colours also do change a lot sometimes like sudddenly it looks like a boost of saturdation

Yes, that is true.
It looks like the focus is on the 'biggest portion' of the frame (so that is the background).
My DSLR has metering options to go for 'spot focus' or other methods.
But with such a wide view, it will be hard to know what you want to have in focus, so I can imagine they will have to tweak something.
2022-10-10
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 10-10 09:43
Yeah, I know, they mix these terms up.
My point is that a camera can't help jitter.
The operator has to take measures.

About jitter, I'm watching that video now. But I know about panning too fast for your fps cause it.
But anyway thank you for more info

What I was actually talking about was pixels "hanging" around the leaves almost like rolling shutter (but it's not) but if you watch closely at leaves when he is walking on top part, you can sometimes see some errors with the graphic. It almost looks like codec error with too low bitrate (eg. mpeg).
2022-10-10
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

EpicTree Posted at 10-10 08:08
I shot this in 4k 30, youtube seems to just be taking its damn time finishing the processing, so will take another look once its gotten to 4k. even the HD thing says processing still

Hey am back now.  Just took some crop screenshots for you to compare.  This was from my Action 2 shot at 2.7Kp120.  Perfectly acceptable resolution and IQ to me - at sunset in shadows - ie. not optimal lighting conditions by any stretch - at a very high frame rate.  Not even 4K.  You can see that shoot took 100 files or over 50 gigs.  No blurriness anywhere.  

That day had a ton of epic cinematic shots foil boarding etc.  Cam did fantastic.  This is from the original OOC file.  No complaints - as this is what OA3 should do as well.

Do not let anyone else tell you otherwise.  If you have blur - you have an "issue".

07722553-5282-4663-A691-05CF79291DA4.jpeg
2022-10-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We managed to check all the footage that you provide and it seems that there is no issue at all with these videos. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI members here that currently own the DJI Osmo Action 3. Should you have inquiries or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-10-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 10-10 12:59
About jitter, I'm watching that video now. But I know about panning too fast for your fps cause it.
But anyway thank you for more info

Yeah, it is quite mathematical.
And there are 5 factors involved if I remember correctly (mainly FPS + speed of the movement).
Ok, I can't really judge that on a youtube video, as the youtube compression will also add artifacts (lots of that).
2022-10-10
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

EpicTree Posted at 10-10 08:08

If you test your OA3 like this - it should demonstrate clearly whether it is up to spec or not.

2022-10-10
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

10-Bit Posted at 10-10 23:41
If you test your OA3 like this - it should demonstrate clearly whether it is up to spec or not.

https://youtu.be/9UkI0MOAMcQ

Thanks for this, I will try replicate this sometime today with an object , though dont have another action camera to compare it, may try my smartphone camera?
2022-10-11
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

EpicTree Posted at 10-11 01:46
Thanks for this, I will try replicate this sometime today with an object , though dont have another action camera to compare it, may try my smartphone camera?
Did some more recording today and i think the results are better than before do you all agree? everything i expect looks clear as i would expect @10-Bit @Montfrooij @johansenfoto @osmonauta

next is a indoor vid, decnt light, what do u think of this?

thanks
2022-10-11
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

EpicTree Posted at 10-11 07:05
Did some more recording today and i think the results are better than before do you all agree? everything i expect looks clear as i would expect @10-Bit @Montfrooij @johansenfoto @osmonauta

https://youtu.be/4JyUVdb3Uxs

Unfortunately am leaving on a photography and video trip - so will not have time to analyze this for you.  Can say this though - if you have a specific DJI return window deadline - make 100% sure you can get it back to DJI with zero issues.  I returned mine without even opening the UPS box - I just left it sealed and got a prepaid courier RMA.  It is on the way back to them.

All I am waiting for now is DJI to confirm nothing was “damaged from use” - and to issue me a full 100% refund of what I paid.  We will see.

DJI with firmware may fix the focus “issue” - they may not.  Many owners once past the 14 day return period are SOL and 100% locked into their purchase.  That is exactly what DJI wants.  They cannot wait fast enough for that return window to slam fully shut.

I specifically asked if they would repair or replace with a “non-defective” unit - and they could not commit or confirm that would ever happen.  So I made my decision to return immediately.  I was not prepared to get tied in and strung along by DJI in any way.  My free time is way too valuable for that.  I have a new shiny Insta360 X3 to film with.

Anyways here is a screenshot for you.  You decide if this is good enough for your specific uses or not.  Everyone is different and will have their own opinion.  Do what works for you - and do NOT get swayed. Good luck.

084BFCD9-152C-49C2-BD54-BEADF632C94D.jpeg
2022-10-11
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

10-Bit Posted at 10-11 09:14
Unfortunately am leaving on a photography and video trip - so will not have time to analyze this for you.  Can say this though - if you have a specific DJI return window deadline - make 100% sure you can get it back to DJI with zero issues.  I returned mine without even opening the UPS box - I just left it sealed and got a prepaid courier RMA.  It is on the way back to them.

All I am waiting for now is DJI to confirm nothing was “damaged from use” - and to issue me a full 100% refund of what I paid.  We will see.

no worries,
and unfortunately im outside my return period, im on day 20, first 2 weeks of having it i hadnt actually used it since i was busy unfortunately so regret not doing all this testing beforehand. So i'm riding that mine is okay or if issues i will pester them until it is resolved.
2022-10-11
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-11
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 10-11 09:55
I am only watching videos at 1080p because my laptop is older and cannot handle 4k. When I watch the videos, especially the periodic table, it looks really nice at 1080p on a retina display @ 227 PPI. I managed to take a screenshot at 2.7k and, well, I am not sure what it is that I really want it to look like. For some reason I expect iPhone quality (I have an iPhone 7 so at least that IQ I'm going for) but I don't think it would be fair to expect that. To me it looks fairly decent. The outside shots look nice and sharp @ 1080p on this display.

For me this is also my first action cam so I can only compare it to my iPhone 7 or my iPod Touch 5G (which I bought in 2014 for around $200). The thing is, my 8 year old iTouch for 200 bucks takes a pretty damn sharp picture of my laptop screen in complete darkness (only the screen is lit). Even as I compose this message at around, what, 9pt or so text size, the iTouch photo of it is clearly readable. Whereas the Action 3 for €380 is producing an unreadable messy blob of my screen even during daytime regardless how I crank up the brightness.

Yeah im unsure what is the expected capability. I have a S20FE so fairly recent and tested it's wide camera, so that it's more fair, since even wide camera is nowhere close to as wide as the action 3. And that is marginally better. Ofcourse the 1x main camera blows action camera out of water in detail. By a lot but ofcourse it's fov of it is tiny compared to what we see on action cam
2022-10-11
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-11
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 10-11 10:26
Well, this is from my $200 (USD) Apple iPod Touch 5G I bought in 2014:

[view_image]

yeah that is a rather gruesome comparison, could someone who knows more about cameras tell us if this is expected?
2022-10-11
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

EpicTree Posted at 10-11 10:33
yeah that is a rather gruesome comparison, could someone who knows more about cameras tell us if this is expected?

You could just zoom in on the pictures, and I can clearly see a difference.

2022-10-11
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 10-11 11:13
You could just zoom in on the pictures, and I can clearly see a difference.

I know this different, I'm asking if that result is expected for this kinda cams? Is the cam ... or is this a result of the physics of the cameras
2022-10-11
Use props
Jake61
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4426 ft
United Kingdom

I'm unsure at this point. I do a lot of photography with medium/high end cameras and after getting my Osmo 3 yesterday, I'm not overly impressed. I did some videos earlier and the focus was soft. I'll go back to the drawing board tomorrow and if I can't get any worthwhile improvements, the Osmo will be toast.

I can buy a cheap compact camera with better performance, for half the price, so I won't be messing about with it.
2022-10-13
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Plenty of original file samples to compare on this forum to make your own conclusions now.

2022-10-13
Use props
Jake61
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4426 ft
United Kingdom

10-Bit Posted at 10-13 12:35
Plenty of original file samples to compare on this forum to make your own conclusions now.

Yes, when you put it like that, I'm sure I can make it work...
2022-10-13
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

osmonauta Posted at 10-11 10:26
Well, this is from my $200 (USD) Apple iPod Touch 5G I bought in 2014:

[view_image]

Well, I was looking for a new (budget) actioncam quite some while already.
I had used my budget ($60) SJcam M10+ from 2016 until now (always using 1080p).

So first I was looking for another budget actioncam, because the M10+ quality was quite decent compared to other camera's back then. So I came across the budget brand "Akaso" first had tried the V50x ($100). But I've returned after testing and comparing with my 2016/$60 M10+
The M10+ had sharper image quality and half the file size on the same resolution and exact the same recording.
So I've decided to go a step up and increasing my budget. I went to the $140 Akaso Brave 6+. And I had exactly the same here. Better results (however I liked the warmer tones of the Akaso more, but this can be achieved in post production aswel) with my half the price/4 year older M10+.
So I've returned it too.

I got tired of it and decided in increase my budget drastically and go for a decent cam now. So I went for the brand new OA3....
So we will see what it's going to bring me next week and if I need to return it because my 2016 $60 budgetcam is still performing better haha
2022-10-13
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I am getting shimmering in the woods its terrible my gopro hero 10 dosnt do it, what is it? over sharpening? how do we turn it off in camera?
2023-3-18
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-18 09:45
I am getting shimmering in the woods its terrible my gopro hero 10 dosnt do it, what is it? over sharpening? how do we turn it off in camera?

Do you have any clip to show what you mean?
2023-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules