Timed photo mode missing on Action 3
2105 13 2022-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AdanSantos
lvl.1
Spain

The timed photo mode, which was really useful when you wanted to take consecutive photos at an interval, is missing on the new Action 3 camera. It was present in the original Action.
Is there a way to request/suggest they bring it back?
Thanks
2022-10-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there AdanSantos. Good ay and thank you for reaching out. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you.
2022-10-10
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-10
Use props
AdanSantos
lvl.1
Spain

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-10 03:14
Hello there AdanSantos. Good ay and thank you for reaching out. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you.

Thank you, appreciated!
2022-10-11
Use props
AdanSantos
lvl.1
Spain

osmonauta Posted at 10-10 03:42
Can’t you just use the Timelapse mode for that? You can set intervals at 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10… and longer seconds. You can take jpegs and raw photos, too along with the video. Sure, the video would be a “byproduct” but you can always delete it and just keep the photos. You can specify an infinite duration or choose a preset length.

DJI could add maybe 2 extra options to Video, Video+JPEG, Video+RAW, as JPEG or RAW only (without the video).

Although that method came up when I was researching the issue, I have tested it by recording a timelapse video in 3 second intervals, and no folder with the pictures was to be found of the SD card. I could also take the video and use one of those apps that create stills from it, but both methods would be a long winded way of achieving something that was native to the camera, not long ago. Thanks for the imput though.
2022-10-11
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-11
Use props
AdanSantos
lvl.1
Spain

osmonauta Posted at 10-11 03:13
You have to put the camera into Pro mode, then you need to select “Video+JPEG” or “Video+RAW” option. Once you finished, there will be a TIMELAPSE folder on the SD card where you can find either the JPEGs or the DNG files. If you record multiple timelapses, each timelapse images will be in their own folder (eg 001, 002, 003, etc) corresponding with the video file name.

Right. That folder did appear once I selected video + raw, but it still only produces 1280x720 images, despite shooting in 4k.
Looks like I will have to shout "take a photo" to the camera (and appear to be a raving maniac) to achieve what once was a very simple thing.
2022-10-11
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-11
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi AdanSantos, Timed photo is removed since u can use timelaspe video+photo.
Timelapse is better than timed because camera will do auto exposure smooth. Timed photo either manual (fixed) exposure or auto exposure (just take care of each photo exposure, no considering the whole process)
2022-10-11
Use props
AdanSantos
lvl.1
Spain

osmonauta Posted at 10-11 03:53
Well, I just tried it (cuz I usually never shoot in 4k). When I shoot a timelapse in 4k, the JPEG files are 3840 x 2160, and if I shoot a timelapse in RAW then the DNG files are 4000 x 2250 in size.

That's weird, when switched to Video+jpeg, the files are 3840x2160, but tested twice more and when using raw, the files really are 1280x720. Ok... so will be using video+jpeg. Thanks!
2022-10-11
Use props
AdanSantos
lvl.1
Spain

DJI-ytao Posted at 10-11 04:47
Hi AdanSantos, Timed photo is removed since u can use timelaspe video+photo.
Timelapse is better than timed because camera will do auto exposure smooth. Timed photo either manual (fixed) exposure or auto exposure (just take care of each photo exposure, no considering the whole process)

Is this the official explanation, or an educated guess. It might have a similar function, but it is cumbersome. Having to plug into a PC to extract the images, as the DJI Mimo app only sees the timelapse video.
2022-10-11
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

AdanSantos Posted at 10-11 02:41
Thank you, appreciated!

Hi there AdanSantos. Thank you for the reply and your are very much welcome. Have a safe and a happy filming always.
2022-10-11
Use props
AdanSantos
lvl.1
Spain

osmonauta Posted at 10-11 06:53
Well, for me on Video+RAW the image files are 4000 x 2250 with or without the Mimo app. I'm curious what causes yours to be 720p resolution. I wonder if this could be the beta FW - that's what I'm running.

It's either a Microsoft or DJI bug... although the dng files appear to be 1280x720 at first, if opened on Photoshop and saved as a jpg, that resulting file is 4000 x 2250.
2022-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules