Identity binding to DJI products - credit cards and mobile numbers
3327 6 2022-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sentigen
lvl.1

Canada

I am considering a purchase of my first DJI product - Osmo Action 3 - but have discovered that the device requires activation using an app called MIMO.  When I installed the MIMO app on my Android phone I was presented with various usage agreements including the screenshot below.  Please note that I have reviewed the DJI privacy policy already.  This leads to the following questions for me:

- Why are you (DJI) seeking to positively confirm my identity and bind that identity to specific DJI products that I have purchased?  It's just a camera.
- Is a credit card number required to activate the Osmo Action 3?  Under what circumstances will I be prompted for a CC number?
- Is a mobile phone number required to activate the Osmo Action 3?  Under what circumstances will I be prompted to provide a mobile phone number?
- What specific data does DJI harvest from my Android phone when I use the product?  The descriptions provided are high level and vague.
- What specific data does DJI harvest from my Android phone when I activate a product?  The descriptions provided are high level and vague.
- Why do you (DJI) need my geolocation information in order to use the app?  I don't want to provide my location information.  Why is this necessary to operate the camera?
- How is DJI protecting all this information that is harvested from my Android phone?
- Has DJI undergone any third party security assurance activities for data protection such as SOC2 Type II?
- Under what circumstances would DJI report a paying customer to police or federal authorities as described in the screenshot below?
- How often will I be prompted to renew my account verification?  If my product is already activated and I don't do this period verification, will DJI 'brick' my camera?

Osmo Action 3 looks like a nice little camera and I was looking forward to working with it.  Unfortunately this is all seeming like an identity and surveillance nightmare and I don't think that I want this in my life.  Definitely a deal breaker for me unless the above questions can be satisfied.  

Identity binding

Identity binding

2022-10-10
Use props
sentigen
lvl.1

Canada

Wow this is pretty bad - shocking actually.  So DJI Mimo is harvesting everyone's text messages and phone calls?

https://www.riverloopsecurity.com/blog/2020/05/dji_mimo/

harvesting

harvesting

2022-10-10
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. We apologize for any misleading. About the Users Privacy Terms, the terms just describe all the possible information required for users to offer us when using DJI Mimo App. Device activation only requires users to log into the DJI Account that is registered by an email address.  You don't need to offer Phone numbers, credit cards, or other private information. Related information may need to offer when you buy DJI products or services. Moreover. DJI Mimo App would not collect Users' private data without authorization. Kindly know that.
2022-10-12
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

This is a very good question indeed. While I have never needed to provide any credit card numbers or renew activation, it really does make you wonder why they ask for such a high number of details and permissions. Though DJI is not the only one here, unfortunately this seems to be a trending occurrence on many companies and their tech products.
2022-10-15
Use props
djiuser_Q24BpiKTZ0qi
New

Ukraine

If you open a weststeincard.com WestStein prepaid card for yourself, you won't have any more. With this card, you can pay for any purchases on the Internet and not worry. This is a safe option, you will not have any problems. Your money will be saved.
2023-2-13
Use props
CaptCrunch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10873 ft
United States

Well I'll be dipped. I bought (and paid) for a Mini 2 SE yesterday at Sams Club and spent all day today wondering why I couldn't get it to work after following the instructions to the letter (except for providing personal financial info).  So I packed it back into the box and planned to return it tomorrow thinking its motor was defective. What purpose is served by wanting my credit card info at this point? I've already paid for the unit. Thought I would just exchange it for one that works but, I dunno. I saw no mention about providing sensitive info in any of the promotional videos, and I saw quite a few. Could that really be the reason the motor refuses to spin up??  I just don't get it.
2-17 16:38
Use props
CaptCrunch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10873 ft
United States

Just an update on my post yesterday and where I went wrong. I had downloaded my app from the Play Store (for Android) and assumed it's same app as I'd find anywhere else. Big mistake. It simply would not allow me to activate without my credit card information. So right before I was headed out the door to return this drone I decided, for some reason, to download one last time. But this time directly from the DJI site. BIG difference. The whole process went smoothly without all the pop up crap that kept diverting me off to who knows where. And the page demanding credit card info never showed up. Email addy and phone number is all it needed. So, hopefully, today I'll finally get this puppy off the ground.     
2-19 06:42
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules