822 7 2022-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I want to become better at incorporating movement in the Pocket 2, so I did some tests.
For the 'normal' video shots, they were 'ok' and probably will get better with practice.
But I am not getting good hyperlapse results. The movement does not seem dampened at all. I did a couple but only the last one was close to mediocre (last shot in the video).
No stabilization in post was done.
I did not have a phone connected and it looks like I need that for tracking (makes sense) so I will have to try that.
From what I'm seeing on YT, you are best off shooting a normal video with tracking and speeding that up in post, adding stabilization afterwards.

I was hoping DJI had implemented some nice stabilization like Apple did in their iPhones, but apparently I was wrong about that.

More testing (and practicing) needed.

2022-10-10
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The stabilisation simply keeps the camera head stable relative to rotation of the handle in all directions (depending also on gimbal mode selected).  It does nothing to compensate for the position of the whole camera in space.  So yes, you'll get up and down movement in the image if the camera is moving up and down as you walk.  Recently I bought a 4th axis stabiliser for my Pocket 1 when it was being sold very cheaply, and that showed me just how much the camera moves in space when walking normally - you see the spring arms trying to compensate with limited success.  What that device did do was to show me (by lack of bounce in the spring arms) when I was doing a smooth walk, and when I wasn't.  Also, stabilisation is challenged by any kind of corridor situation, where there's some solid surface on one or both sides of you (that includes vegetation).
2022-10-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-10 14:04
The stabilisation simply keeps the camera head stable relative to rotation of the handle in all directions (depending also on gimbal mode selected).  It does nothing to compensate for the position of the whole camera in space.  So yes, you'll get up and down movement in the image if the camera is moving up and down as you walk.  Recently I bought a 4th axis stabiliser for my Pocket 1 when it was being sold very cheaply, and that showed me just how much the camera moves in space when walking normally - you see the spring arms trying to compensate with limited success.  What that device did do was to show me (by lack of bounce in the spring arms) when I was doing a smooth walk, and when I wasn't.  Also, stabilisation is challenged by any kind of corridor situation, where there's some solid surface on one or both sides of you (that includes vegetation).

Yeah, walking is tricky, but I can manage that by bending my knees (looks funny.....)
I rather not take more with me (now I have 2 small boxes, one with the Pocket and one with the filters) and that just fits into my 2 pockets.

I'm more talking about 'rotating' the drone.
You can see in the last shot when I try to follow that building and the rotation is not smooth.
I have looked into some youtube tutorials and they all say that you have to use regular video with object tracking and speed that up in post + add stabilization in post.
But my iPhone does this (digitally) already for me. So I was hoping that the Pocket 2 also would smoothen out the movement.

More to be discovered
2022-10-10
Use props
Frontliner 2020
Second Officer
Philippines

Interesting info... Thanks for sharing...
2022-10-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Frontliner 2020 Posted at 10-12 20:15
Interesting info... Thanks for sharing...

Thanks.
lots of testing needed!
2022-10-12
Use props
Frontliner 2020
Second Officer
Philippines

Montfrooij Posted at 10-12 23:28
Thanks.
lots of testing needed!

indeed... ...
2022-10-13