Why is the hyperlapse function so wobbly?
2222 23 2022-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_DaZidZWZkgvu
lvl.1

Canada

I've filmed over 30 of these so far with mixed results. Some are good, some are great and some shots are downright garbage.

The drone tends to drift left to right when its set to waypoint mode. I have exactly 2 waypoints set. Does anyone know how this software is operating, like is it trying to track the image or is it just following a straight path between waypoints.

This was shot with 5km/hour wind, at night in waypoint mode set to Normal. Why is it drifting/wobbling so much?  

This one is really bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T0U0C6yq2Y
https://youtu.be/DRlxhyQXLJE

2022-10-10
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

Does it still drift left and right when you go in a single direction (not waypoint)?
I've only done a hyperlapse on spotlight object tracking at high winds. Results were not the best.
2022-10-10
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Still seems to be wind drift. What was the wind at altitude?
2022-10-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It seems to be moving left and right. I think wind is a factor also speed, I have seen so much of this through a lot of dji drone trial and error seems the order of the day, also try to stabilize footage in post to see this helps.

Just on this one would more waypoints help ?
2022-10-10
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It does appear to be the wind as its not as bad the lower it gets (at the end)
2022-10-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to fly your DJI Mini 3 Pro to a different location with different wind condition for us to be able to isolate the issue. Thank you.

2022-10-10
Use props
djiuser_DaZidZWZkgvu
lvl.1

Canada

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-10 15:32
Still seems to be wind drift. What was the wind at altitude?

How can you measure the wind at altidude? I went up 40 meters, 10kmph wind on the ground
2022-10-10
Use props
djiuser_DaZidZWZkgvu
lvl.1

Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-10 19:51
Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to fly your DJI Mini 3 Pro to a different location with different wind condition for us to be able to isolate the issue. Thank you.

[view_image]

I've flown at multiple locations with low wind and had this problem. The only thing I did weird as implement some tilt function. I've used no tilt before and had some success, but not always. Ive gone side to side and the buildings would never stay centered.

Heres a few questions for you Stephen: If it is darker outside  will the tracker have trouble locating the image, or does that matter?

Why would the camera drift left to right no a parallax style shot when I have a specific building set as my centerpoint for both waypoint 1 & 2?

Do the intervals need to be spaced out for longer periods in order to allow the drone to get set?

How does the software work exactly? I do real hyperlapse with a DSLR and we use reference points and ensure to keep the reference point in the same area of the frame each photo, for some reason the Mini 3 doesnt work this way at all and almost makes traditional style hyperlapses impossible.

Here is a parralax that worked, close angle, not quite perfeclty aligned but it worked: https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/item/215992658-hyperlapse-tawatina-lrt-bridge-and-downtown-edmonton

This one was a straight shot with waypoint 2 facing the buildings, it turns near the end but i was able to salvage most of it. https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/item/215992507-edmontons-skyline-night-drone-hyperlapse

And finally this one breaks every single rule of hyperlapse but again it worked. I was facing a building, did a 45 degree turn and went way back and up. Anytime there is a big turn near the end, it seems to work out alright versus a horizontal hyperlapse left to right. https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/item/212748387-hyperlapse-edmonton-skyline-rossdale-power-plant-and-walterd

It's very frustrating as a hyperlapse pro to not be able to get some consistency with my clips as I use the same techniques and they sometimes work or not at all. I'm hoping it's just the wind but ive been going out when it's below 10kmph wind and it's almost like the gimbal is trying to track something thats not there. I doubt it could be the wind because it is a smooth shift left to right and not abrupt.
2022-10-10
Use props
djiuser_DaZidZWZkgvu
lvl.1

Canada

Here is one from a few nights ago. 6kmph wind and a simple left to right shot with 2 way points. Waypoint 1 and 2 were set to a specific building in the middle but the drone kept panning left to right etc. I do use warp stabilizer but it wasn't salvageable due to the blurry photos so here is what the drone is shooting for me on a medium range horizontal shot. https://youtu.be/5T0U0C6yq2Y
2022-10-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

2022-10-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

2022-10-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Here they are with preview
2022-10-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yeah, this is bad.
And they 'could' fix it with digital stabilization for sure, but they don't. Not sure why. But that is probably due to lack of processing power (or saving battery life).
Anyhow, remember that the drone can't hold on to anything. It can stabilize movement in real time, but if you speed things up, the bigger changes in direction (that happen slowly) are very visible.
Apparently that is hard to compensate for.
I have seen this with the Pocket 2 as well (the same jumpy movement with hyperlapse). I'm going to have to do more tries as I have seen others make great hyperlapses.
2022-10-10
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

djiuser_DaZidZWZkgvu Posted at 10-10 20:19
How can you measure the wind at altidude? I went up 40 meters, 10kmph wind on the ground

Use an app such as UAV Forecast, it gives approximate wind and gust speed up to 5000 feet.
2022-10-11
Use props
VDR6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1021686 ft
Romania

Facing the same issue here as OP, the drone just drifts even in windless conditions.
2023-3-20
Use props
Jake. A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

with such a small drone its pretty hard to do Hyperlapses.
2023-3-20
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

This may be the type of drone that really needs the help in post production.

Your failed attempts though, apart from the wobble, really awesome scenery.  I can see why you want hyper-lapse shots there.  Great choice of location!
2023-3-20
Use props
VDR6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1021686 ft
Romania

Jake. A Posted at 3-20 06:15
with such a small drone its pretty hard to do Hyperlapses.

Fair enough.
But weirdly, my first attempts at creating this type of footage were much more successful, but recent ones produce wobbly results. I'm more and more inclined to think the arm play has gotten progressively worse until this point.
2023-3-20
Use props
shootdaj
lvl.1

United States

Has anyone figured out the solution to this? It seems to be a random problem. I've got some really good ones and some really wobbly ones. There is also the issue that sometimes the camera moves in seemingly random directions in the beginning of the hyperlapse.
2023-7-17
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Montfrooij Posted at 2022-10-10 22:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T0U0C6yq2Y

Beautiful location for hyperlapse, this can be easily fixed in post stabilization.
Try doing it in Davinci Resolve.
2023-7-17
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

shootdaj Posted at 7-17 01:24
Has anyone figured out the solution to this? It seems to be a random problem. I've got some really good ones and some really wobbly ones. There is also the issue that sometimes the camera moves in seemingly random directions in the beginning of the hyperlapse.

Stay away 60-70m from the subject & this can minimize it. Make sure IMU & compass is well calibrated.
These 2 things will keep the wobble at minimum.
2023-7-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ranjan Posted at 7-17 02:31
Beautiful location for hyperlapse, this can be easily fixed in post stabilization.
Try doing it in Davinci Resolve.

Not my video (unfortunately), but I have just ordered the Mi3P so I should have hyperlapse options soon.
2023-7-31
Use props
Harryscopic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1422920 ft
Spain

Maybe the compass or IMU don't have enough precision to measure the yaw changes of this light thing hanging in the air, and so it doesn't compensate for the wrong headings.
2023-7-31
Use props
bxq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3139314 ft
Poland

for me as for many results vary independent on wind conditions [although can't tell what were they at uav location and height], sometimes it's more or less stable and sometimes it's wobbly

was shot first and then after battery swap this and it was a rain approaching so if something wind gusts were more severe in the later video and it's more stable
2023-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules