Question of legality
1056 6 2022-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans19afb282
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

We recently flew our DJI Avata through some damaged properties from Hurricane ian. The properties had been completely stripped of all signs of life all that was left was the cinderblock frame. I have attached the video to this post to see the example in the opening scene. My question is do they have ground to stand on to tell us to take down our video? Is it illegal to fly through derelict buildings?

https://youtu.be/dRkgVE9lyhM
2022-10-11
Use props
fans19afb282
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

See 0:10 seconds to see the clip in question
2022-10-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That will depend on the country's rules.
2022-10-11
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

Nice one   !
2022-10-30
Use props
Prezzodrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8533 ft

United Kingdom

Doesn’t feel appropriate.
2023-1-1
Use props
MatteoUAV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 324265 ft
Canada

Hi there. Of course, the laws change depending on the region and country you are in. However, I can provide you with some information. Property owners only own the land and structures on their land. NOT the airspace above it. This means that all of the clips showing you flying over properties are completely fine and legal.

On the other hand, the clips that show you flying into damaged property could be considered as trespassing, as you are exiting the airspace and entering a structure. Hope this helps.
2023-1-4
Use props
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280860 ft
United Kingdom

MatteoUAV Posted at 1-4 08:53
Hi there. Of course, the laws change depending on the region and country you are in. However, I can provide you with some information. Property owners only own the land and structures on their land. NOT the airspace above it. This means that all of the clips showing you flying over properties are completely fine and legal.

On the other hand, the clips that show you flying into damaged property could be considered as trespassing, as you are exiting the airspace and entering a structure. Hope this helps.

Yeah, and it's good to remember that the law states that you are ok (given you're flying in the zone limits), you can film even people as long as they cannot be identified due to GDPR but properties...? Even ruins?

That's a strange thing and I don't remember reading any law forbidding that but I'd fly high, as you suggested.
2023-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules