Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-11
Use props
Daz79
lvl.1
Spain

I had high hopes for Action 2 but I was pretty disappointed. Even higher hopes for Action 3 and even more disappointed. It seems my GoPro 7 still need to work one more year before being retired.
2022-10-11
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

As I commented in that video it is known that this focus system is performed manually in the action camera at the factory, the same thing happens on any FPV camera, where there is that ring to correct the focus, however thanks for the video that explains it to those who were not aware of it.
I believe that the question here is more complex.
I am not a photography expert but I believe that the problem may instead lie within the group of lenses, which are obviously fixed inside the block that is rotated.
Even achieving perfect focus for a distant enough subject if the lens group is poorly designed will result in a wrong focus at the 30cm declared by DJI.
This is because classic infinity focus necessarily generates this problem, and more you want to have a ultra wide FOV, and the Osmo Action 3 has it, more you will have focus problems in close subjects.
In my OA3 for example the distant subjects are in focus, but those at 50 cm absolutely not, and DJI declares at least 30 cm.
Having said that I do not rule out that DJI has some lens groups, which for example should be 7 in the Osmo Action, not perfectly calibrated or even just badly designed.
Therefore even by adjusting the ring by rotating it, the problem in close subjects may remain.
How is it resolved? With another well designed lens group and obviously at the correct distance from the sensor, so a firmware update cannot fix such a major hardware problem and perhaps unfortunately also by rotating the lens group.
In fact today many smartphones have more than one rear camera depending on the subject you want to shoot.
This is because the lens group is different depending on the FOV and the desired distance of the subject.
Unfortunately this action camera, like almost all the others, does not have a motorized lens system so the focus will always be a compromise.
So I'll wait for the new firmware, and sure enough that both software won't be able to fix it, I'll send my action camera to DJI to fix the  problem.
If they declare "over 30 cm" a subject at 31cm must be perfectly in  focus, as well as one at 20 meters.
Soon I will publish a comparative video between DJI Osmo Action 3 (2022) and a GoPro HERO6 (2017), where instead the lens group has been well designed.
My 2 cents.

gsmarena_001.jpg
2022-10-11
Use props
Frontliner 2020
Second Officer
Philippines

This video is informative... Thanks for sharing...
2022-10-11
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

My focus tests...

2022-10-12
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

That was a good test that clearly show how bad the focus is on OA3
2022-10-12
Use props
cehart
lvl.2

Austria

Performed a simular test, having the same issue with focus and sharpness like all others, I would wonder if that could be fixed with a firmware upgrade. Anyone believing that there are any oa3 cams which are not having that issue? DJI and all Resellers should stop selling it and make a global recall. I real would love this cam, but with that kind of quality I´m not happy at all, my gopro9 is much better, therefore I will send back my oa3 soon. If DJI will have in half an year a new revision of the Objective/Sensor I will maybe re-buy it. But its a shame that there is more or less no official statement/communication from DJI about that issue...
2022-10-12
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Two frames taken from the original videos used for comparison, so no Youtube compression.
The distance of the paper from the cams was about 50 cm.
To you the arduous sentence.

2022-10-12
Use props
djiuser_rDICYpD1xPJ5
lvl.1

Greece

I am getting new update and seems fixed focus issue

2022-10-12
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiuser_rDICYpD1xPJ5 Posted at 10-12 05:57

[view_image]

nice, where are you based btw, i checked my mimo app but havent got an update there yet
2022-10-12
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

[view_image]

That is not a newer firmware than we other have already
2022-10-12
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

[view_image]

That's the first firmware what we're all using released after the default, it doesn't fix the focus problem, and imho won't fix it in the future either.
2022-10-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

According to this video , close focusing of GP 11 and A3 no difference, just a difference of claimed close focus distance from both cameras. And the review is both fair and correct IMO.

2022-10-13
Use props
SchrockStar
lvl.1
United States

EpicTree Posted at 10-12 08:09
nice, where are you based btw, i checked my mimo app but havent got an update there yet

yeah I have not gotten that update either. I am at the lower one and I just got the camera yesterday (10/12/22).
2022-10-13
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-13
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Not actually comparable at all.  Maybe GP11 + Insta X3 - Hmm?  Sounds tasty.

2022-10-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

osmonauta Posted at 10-13 10:23
Well, honestly, I don't care much about YT comparisons. YT already compresses the videos, albeit they use different algorithm  for 4k videos than for 1080p - so I've read.

If you want to test your quality, check out these sample photos from GoPro 11 where you can download the original files and compare it to the OA3.

You do realise that you are comparing a 27mp camera to a 12mp camera and expecting to come up with the same quality. Its like saying that an APSC camera will have the same quality as a Medium Format camera. Let alone GP or Action cameras are not normally used as stills cameras.
And your argument about you tube videos is frankly ridiculous, these cameras are almost 100% used for you tube and other social media platforms and this is exactly where they should be compared.

You also completely ignore that the A3 is 33% cheaper than the GO Pro, and in video above this is acknowledged and the comparison done by a very recognized reviewer of these and other cameras.
2022-10-13
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

osmonauta Posted at 10-13 14:00
Yes, I did realize that the GoPro 11 is 27MP.

"And your argument about you tube videos is frankly ridiculous"

I”f you want to test your quality, check out these sample photos from GoPro 11 where you can download the original files and compare it to the OA3.”

Why not compare action photos to a GFX 100s , of course comparing cameras with lower MP count lower image output and much lower price you will only find one outcome. In fact its a waste of time to compare.
So its a bit strange that you keep posting these pointless photos.
2022-10-14
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

osmonauta Posted at 10-14 05:34
“Why not compare action photos to a GFX 100s”
Because I don’t have a GFX 100s - whatever that is,

All you’re doing is comparing apples to oranges, its like saying is a Ferrari faster than a Fiat “pointless”

GFX 100 is a 100mp medium format camera.
2022-10-14
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 10-14 09:49
All you’re doing is comparing apples to oranges, its like saying is a Ferrari faster than a Fiat “pointless”

GFX 100 is a 100mp medium format camera.

Tomorrow I post some comparative shots between OA3 and GoPro HERO 6, so OA3 should be superior.
2022-10-14
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-14
Use props
djiuser_DAIKvCfgBJ30
lvl.2
United Kingdom

More tests and a possible solution? https://youtu.be/Qrfu4jn5CdE

You can use a diopter to fix the issue, not ideal but revealing.
2022-10-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

osmonauta Posted at 10-14 11:11
So when I'm comparing my 2014 iPod Touch 5 ($200 US)  to the 2022 Action 3 (€380) and the 8 year old little thing does sharper close-up shots than the newer and more expensive one, then which is the apple and which is the orange?

Also, there are plenty of articles about that megapixels is simply not an indication of the quality of a camera. Sensors and the software is important as well. This article, for example, talks about computational photography and so why is megapixels alone is not an indication of better photo.

You can always tell people who know little about photography when the only thing that concerns them is how sharp something is.
2022-10-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MarcoR Posted at 10-14 10:19
Tomorrow I post some comparative shots between OA3 and GoPro HERO 6, so OA3 should be superior.

Cameras don’t make superior photos, they make files, Photographers make superior  photos,
2022-10-14
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-14
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_DAIKvCfgBJ30 Posted at 10-14 11:41
More tests and a possible solution? https://youtu.be/Qrfu4jn5CdE
https://youtu.be/Qrfu4jn5CdE

That test with the diopter lens in front is damning.  100% a hardware flaw, which it seems like they might be trying to fix with artificial sharpening in-camera now.  
2022-10-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

osmonauta Posted at 10-14 13:20
May I offer you a humble apology for not knowing enough about photography? I believe this forum has no restriction on what level of photography knowledge you must possess before posting. I apologize for offending your superiority. Now that you have absolute power, please go away. I don't owe you nothing.

PS: You sound like that Serbian or Slovakian dude how made some false claims with his videos and got offended. Are you two related? Wouldn't be surprised...

When all is lost be a racist, Racism is just about your level.
2022-10-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Alright Andre.

Just to support what you are saying, here's a modification that I done to the old Yi 4K+.

This involved breaking the glue seal on the lens for its original factory set focus, so I could refocus for macro. This also helped to refocus for a more in focus wide FOV as well.

Cheers,
Dave.

2022-10-14
Use props
Andre-WORTH IT OR NOT?
lvl.2

United States

David_Harry Posted at 10-14 17:22
Alright Andre.

Just to support what you are saying, here's a modification that I done to the old Yi 4K+.

Excellent David !  Very nice macro video indeed and glad to watch this.  Glad to see someone else understands the distance from back of lens to the sensor, but then again, you're a pretty knowledgeable guy so comes as no surprise.
2022-10-14
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 10-14 12:28
Cameras don’t make superior photos, they make files, Photographers make superior  photos,

You are absolutely right about this.
So putting Verstappen on an ALPHATAURI HONDA would still be world champion 2022 anyway, correct?
Here we are not discussing the quality of a photographer but about an obvious flaw in a cam.
I do not understand the intention of your comments, if it is to discredit those who are trying to understand if the product they purchased meets the specifications that DJI has reported I think your efforts are absolutely useless, but if you want to continue go ahead.
2022-10-14
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I remember buying two cheap ip cams which were very soft until you took off the front cover and then could manually turn the lens inside and put a spot of glue to hold it there.
Essentially these need the same thing doing but they aren't designed to let you get in and adjust anything.
The correct thing for DJI to do would be recall and replace the ones out of focus.
They probably have a very good idea which ones they are and who has them from the serial numbers.
They might even consider sending out a replacement with no need to return the old unit.
For example here I don't keep old boxes and would struggle to pack it up safely to return.

Most new products from DJI have seemed cutting edge and ground breaking, this is the first time a product has had a widely reported serious production fault.
2022-10-14
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Exactly, great test!
This is the demonstration that the lens group, as I have repeatedly said and demonstrated was not in my opinion well designed or calibrated, or that in any case someone is factory defective.
It is obvious that the sensor does not have any problems, so I am curious as to how DJI can solve a hardware problem via firmware.
2022-10-14
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MarcoR Posted at 10-14 23:21
Exactly, great test!
This is the demonstration that the lens group, as I have repeatedly said and demonstrated was not in my opinion well designed or calibrated, or that in any case someone is factory defective.
It is obvious that the sensor does not have any problems, so I am curious as to how DJI can solve a hardware problem via firmware.

A visit to the optician.
2022-10-14
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

If you want to do an in-depth analysis in this link you will find some comparative shots between my DJI Osmo Action 3 with the latest firmware installed and GoPro HERO 6, taken this morning at the same distance from the subjects, about 40 cm, and obviously with the action cameras stuck on the floor.
This archive was also sent to DJI Technical Support.
This images show two crops made for comparison.
If someone has the courage to write that it is a photographer's problem with the focus I would say that he is fearless!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... Zx/view?usp=sharing

DJI Osmo Action 3

DJI Osmo Action 3

GoPro HERO 6

GoPro HERO 6
2022-10-14
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-15
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

osmonauta Posted at 10-15 00:23
You don’t by any chance have an Action 1 or 2 to compare against the 3 using this chart?

Unfortunately not, but I believe that even a child still sees the difference.
If the OA2 were also similar it would mean that that too would have big problems with the lenses.
2022-10-15
Use props
aliveathome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 237812 ft
Sweden

MarcoR Posted at 10-14 23:57
If you want to do an in-depth analysis in this link you will find some comparative shots between my DJI Osmo Action 3 with the latest firmware installed and GoPro HERO 6, taken this morning at the same distance from the subjects, about 40 cm, and obviously with the action cameras stuck on the floor.
This archive was also sent to DJI Technical Support.
This images show two crops made for comparison.

Hi, I put your photos from the DA3 and GoPro6 to compare. Mine is on the left taken at 40cm and even if it's in compressed JPG you clearly see a difference between our DA3s and the GoPro6.

2022-10-15
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

aliveathome Posted at 10-15 01:20
Hi, I put your photos from the DA3 and GoPro6 to compare. Mine is on the left taken at 40cm and even if it's in compressed JPG you clearly see a difference between our DA3s and the GoPro6.

[view_image]

It would be appreciated if you post a link to your original shot, thanks in advance!
2022-10-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules