Which Movie on my SD Card is the high-quality version?
1154 23 2022-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ann JS
lvl.2

United States

After I have shot movies from my Mini 2, I am finding two directories on the SD Card in the Mini 2.

Each directory appears to be a duplicate of the other one: each contains the same images and movies; and the clips contain the same amount of MBs or GBs of data.

Are these files truly duplicates or does one Directory contain higher-quality content than the other?

If they are duplicates, have I set something incorrectly which causes this to happen; or is the duplication created intentionally as a back-up?

If one set is of higher quality, which set should I choose to download and edit?
2022-10-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If the file sizes are the same, they are the same quality.
2022-10-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the confusion. Can you please send us a screenshot showing 2 different folders on your SD card so we can check it here on our end? Can you please try to back up all the files on your SD card and please try to reformat it then have a test flight and record then check if it still generates the duplicate files? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-10-11
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Labroides Posted at 10-11 18:07
If the file sizes are the same, they are the same quality.

Most probably, yes but theoretically one file can be uncompressed and the other compressed. If you only measure in megabytes or even kilobytes they might look the same size yet still differ.  You must compare the sizes in bytes.
2022-10-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Johnny_J Posted at 10-12 04:59
Most probably, yes but theoretically one file can be uncompressed and the other compressed. If you only measure in megabytes or even kilobytes they might look the same size yet still differ.  You must compare the sizes in bytes.

What nonsense are you going on about?
DJI video files are all compressed in MP4 or MOV format.
A low-res cache file is always going to have a significantly smaller file size.
If the two files are the same size, they are of equal quality.
2022-10-12
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Labroides Posted at 10-12 05:17
What nonsense are you going on about?
DJI video files are all compressed in MP4 or MOV format.
A low-res cache file is always going to have a significantly smaller file size.

Obviously you do not understand how files are saved and how their sizes are presented.
We'll leave it at that. Good luck with your "support"
2022-10-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Johnny_J Posted at 10-12 05:58
Obviously you do not understand how files are saved and how their sizes are presented.
We'll leave it at that. Good luck with your "support"

Obviously??
Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about, and not for the first time here.
2022-10-12
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Labroides Posted at 10-12 06:03
Obviously??
Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about, and not for the first time here.

Obviously you have a well-known routine of cracking down on other members if they disagree with you the slightest. Not the first time here!
2022-10-12
Use props
Ann JS
lvl.2

United States

Thank you all for replying.

I am fairly certain that the two Directories are merely duplicates of each other but am wondering why the software creates the two copies.

Is this intentional Backing-up (to provide insurance against getting bad data) or have I somehow set a setting which causes this?

>>>> Can you please try to back up all the files on your SD card and please try to reformat it then have a test flight and record then check if it still generates the duplicate files?>>>>

I had already re-formatted the card and I am still seeing the two Directories after a flight.
However, because I use large-capacity cards, getting the duplicates is no longer a problem as I now understand that I only need to download the contents of only one of the Directories.

2022-10-12
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Check the details of the two files. This will tell you what you need to know.
2022-10-12
Use props
Ann JS
lvl.2

United States

Thank you.
I have checked the images and movies  — and do appear to be identical.
2022-10-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Johnny_J Posted at 10-12 06:11
Obviously you have a well-known routine of cracking down on other members if they disagree with you the slightest. Not the first time here!

What you are saying about Bytes versus Megabytes is rubbish. Stop confusing the issue.
2022-10-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Obviously you have a well-known routine of cracking down on other members if they disagree with you the slightest. Not the first time here!

I just have a very low tolerance for idiots who repeatedly spread misinformation.
2022-10-12
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Geebax Posted at 10-12 14:24
What you are saying about Bytes versus Megabytes is rubbish. Stop confusing the issue.

That confirms that you have no idea what the physical quantities bytes vs megabytes are.
You just read about them on Facebook.
2022-10-13
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Labroides Posted at 10-12 14:56
I just have a very low tolerance for idiots who repeatedly spread misinformation.

Yes, your definition of "misinformation" constitutes of anyone who disagrees with you!
2022-10-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Johnny_J Posted at 10-13 04:40
That confirms that you have no idea what the physical quantities bytes vs megabytes are.
You just read about them on Facebook.

How about you tell us the difference, that should be good for a laugh.
2022-10-13
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Check the metadata. If identical then they are, if not...
2022-10-13
Use props
Ann JS
lvl.2

United States

The images and movies in the first Directory are identical to their counterparts in the second Directory but my question remains:
What causes TWO Directories (with their identical contents!) to be written to my card?

Is this the way in which the software is programmed to behave; or am I setting something in a way that causes this duplication to occur?
2022-10-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ann JS Posted at 10-13 16:14
The images and movies in the first Directory are identical to their counterparts in the second Directory but my question remains:
What causes TWO Directories (with their identical contents!) to be written to my card?

It's not normal without something in the app settings making it happen.
What do the filenames look like?
For original image/video files they should be something like:
DJI_0123.JPG,  DJI_0123.DNG  &  DJI_0123.MP4
2022-10-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

As I understand the "John" is the toilet...am I mistaken ;-) You are confused by the word in the topic that reads "quality". You have missed the mark there by a long shot.
2022-10-13
Use props
Ann JS
lvl.2

United States

Labroides:

Thank you for your response.

The curious thing is that while the names of my files do mirror the examples which you posted, the file-names in the first Directory are exactly the same as those in the second Directory.
The Directories on my freshly-formatted card are named "Untitled 1" and "Untitled 2".

Now that I realise that the software is merely making an automatic Back-up, I can work with that.

I thought that DJI might want to know that this duplication is happening if that is not the intentional behaviour of their software.
2022-10-14
Use props
Ann JS
lvl.2

United States

Sorry, I tried to attach screenshots but it didn't work!
I hope that my written description was sufficient anyway.
2022-10-14
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Ann JS Posted at 10-14 09:36
Sorry, I tried to attach screenshots but it didn't work!
I hope that my written description was sufficient anyway.

8f screenshots aren't working can you write the two full paths to the directories?

It's certainly not normal to have duplicates on the SD card.

There are cached versions of the videos on your phone/tablet that the app creates, but the drone will be writing to the SD card directly (it will continue to write to the SD card even when you lose connection from the app on your phone).

This sounds very odd, but knowing the full paths might give a clue...
2022-10-15
Use props
Ann JS
lvl.2

United States

I think that I have found the reason that I am seeing the two Directories:

I normally use Adobe Photo Downloader (part of Adobe Bridge) to download all of my image files.

When I insert the card into the card reader slot on my M1 MacBook Pro, APD shows two Directories (each of which contains identical files) while Apple's Finder correctly shows only a single Directory.
So the problem would appear to originate from APD and not from DVI's softare.
2022-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules