2162 20 2022-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MANNHEIMER
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29764 ft
Germany

Hi,

I received my DJI Osmo Action 3 last week and already recorded a video with the camera mounted in my chest. After reviewing the footage I was very disappointed about the video quality. Most of the action happening in front of the camera was soft and not in focus.

I just went out and put the new Osmo Action 3 against my 7 Years old GoPro Hero 4 Black. Both were running at 4k 30fps and I reset both cameras to default before recording the video. I took some screenshots of the videos so you can have a look at my comparison:

10cm distance to the camera

10cm Action 3

10cm Action 3

10cm Hero 4

10cm Hero 4

20cm distance to the camera

20cm Action 3

20cm Action 3

20cm Hero 4

20cm Hero 4

30cm distance to the camera

30cm Action 3

30cm Action 3

30cm Hero 4

30cm Hero 4

40cm distance to the camera

40cm Action 3

40cm Action 3

40cm Hero 4

40cm Hero 4

70cm distance to the camera

70cm Action 3

70cm Action 3

70cm Hero 4

70cm Hero 4

The results are shocking. My old GoPro Hero 4 (2nd picture ) beats the Action 3 (1st picture) in every distance and in the overall sharpness of the picture in every shot.

What did you think about the results?

Greets from Germany

2022-10-13
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I don't see a shocking issue - bear in mind that the Action 3 has a minimum focus of 30cm (some say it's actually 40cm) so most of your samples would appear to be invalid anyway.  In the other samples I'm not seeing significant differences.  And there are so many factors in play that can affect resolution and sharpness - it's not that easy to compare meaningfully.  See the sample video in another thread with loads of carefully made samples from the Action 2 and Action 3 - they are identical.  And nobody had big resolution problems with Action 2 footage when that was released.
2022-10-13
Use props
SadFan
lvl.1
United States

This is so bizarre, why are so many people defending the Osmo Action 3? I ordered two units and both had the focusing issue.

I didn't buy an action camera with 4K capabilities to then have 480p or 720p resolution. I also saw the focusing issue, and it was at distances of greater than 30cm.
People need to stop pretending like the focus gets sharp after 30cm. It doesn't. It looks bad at any distance.
2022-10-13
Use props
MANNHEIMER
lvl.2
Germany

Just check the surroundings and look at the sharpness of the paper. It is hard to see because I am only able to publish low resolution pictures here. I made a comparison and zoomed in 100% at the pictures of 40cm distance. No more words needed. vs.jpg

I just took some shots with fixed ISO at 4k and 1080p 30fps and stabilisation turned off on the OA3. The results are the same.
I really tried to like the OA3 because of the great software and convenient mounting options but the image quality is really bad
2022-10-13
Use props
cehart
lvl.2

Austria

SadFan Posted at 10-13 08:01
This is so bizarre, why are so many people defending the Osmo Action 3? I ordered two units and both had the focusing issue.

I didn't buy an action camera with 4K capabilities to then have 480p or 720p resolution. I also saw the focusing issue, and it was at distances of greater than 30cm.

Absolutly correct, the focus and sharpness which comes out from OA3 looks like its from a 360P Video, but not from a 1080P/4K Video!!! I use an actioncam mostly for bicycle recording at fields and forest, but it looks terrible with the sharpness at trees, grass and so on. I still hope it can be fixed with an Firmware, if not OA3 will be send back...
2022-10-13
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Not Defending:  A3 the words Falcon are clear, the smaller font, you decide, its not a 10K   movie camera.  a photo with 3 sec and a video frame grab

love to hear your thoughts  mention Fish so I can know you are yapping to me

I  feel the paper used is  going to work well but  that to me is an issue, I wonder if mine is a good or bad one.

vid frame of 4K

Just look at all the softness I see it online is online doing something here hmm.
2022-10-13
Use props
SadFan
lvl.1
United States

Fish, no offense, but that picture quality is what my flip phone from 2010 used to take. If I were you, I'd return the camera. The details on the shelves aren't great.

I don't think anyone is looking to buy a camera that is only in focus at 30cm and out of focus any closer or any further.

It's hard for me to believe how badly DJI messed this one up. I really, really, really wanted to like it.
2022-10-13
Use props
MANNHEIMER
lvl.2
Germany

Fishycomics Posted at 10-13 08:20
Not Defending:  A3 the words Falcon are clear, the smaller font, you decide, its not a 10K   movie camera.  a photo with 3 sec and a video frame grab

love to hear your thoughts  mention Fish so I can know you are yapping to me

@Fishycomics I am sorry but I don't get what you mean in the first part of your post. Are you yousing some phrases I don't know?

Anyway: Your examples are made indoors which decreases the available light by a huge margin. Every camera will struggle in this scenario especially those with small sensors.
You already can see some artefacts in the top left which indicates high ISO. It is not so present on your second example but since you didn't include pictures in good light or a comparison camera in the same conditions I can't confirm that your unit is faulty because it could be just to dark for the camera to perform well.
Asuming the light conditions were good enough the picture quality is not what I would expect from a 4k Action camera.
2022-10-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are sorry to know about read about this. You can submit a case through the link below and send it back for further testing. Please also tell us the case number(CAS) for follow-up. http://www.dji.com/support
2022-10-25
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

MANNHEIMER Posted at 10-13 08:03
Just check the surroundings and look at the sharpness of the paper. It is hard to see because I am only able to publish low resolution pictures here. I made a comparison and zoomed in 100% at the pictures of 40cm distance. No more words needed.[view_image]

I just took some shots with fixed ISO at 4k and 1080p 30fps and stabilisation turned off on the OA3. The results are the same.

Which FOV did you use on the OA3? If it was in Standard(Dewarp), does the image become sharper in Ultrawide and Wide?
2022-10-25
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
Bulgaria

Another proove that there is something wrong with our units....
2022-10-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

MANNHEIMER Posted at 10-13 08:03
Just check the surroundings and look at the sharpness of the paper. It is hard to see because I am only able to publish low resolution pictures here. I made a comparison and zoomed in 100% at the pictures of 40cm distance. No more words needed.[view_image]

I just took some shots with fixed ISO at 4k and 1080p 30fps and stabilisation turned off on the OA3. The results are the same.

Why would you take screenshots and try to compare them to anything and stabilization turned off . This testing means absolutely nothing. What does this even prove. If I post really good footage from A3, does that make your test redundant ?
2022-10-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

SadFan Posted at 10-13 08:01

Maybe because of the ridiculous testing here see below does this make complete rubbish out of above testing or are you happy to believe all these screen grab tests or judge the camera by an actual edited video below.

2022-10-25
Use props
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 10-25 08:30
Maybe because of the ridiculous testing here see below does this make complete rubbish out of above testing or are you happy to believe all these screen grab tests or judge the camera by an actual edited video below.

https://youtu.be/3IvP7kW6zi0

Do you feel that evidence of a camera with a more properly focused lens means there are none with a problem?  

I would say that the existence of a black swan is evidence that black swans exist, not that white swans do not.

You dismissed my video out of hand by saying that the slight "zoom" effect of the diopter was why the increased detail was seen, despite the actual field of view change being very small.  And my face was noticeably not in focus without the diopter and much sharper with the diopter.

Originally you were saying that people with the problem should report it and get their cameras replaced.  Now you seem to be outright denying that any problem exists with anyone's cameras, using as your evidence this video of a better focused one.  

Why the change?  Are you denying that ANY of the cameras are out of focus in the 30-300 centimeter range?  Even DJI seem to confirm that there is a problem with some units due to the "large internal parameters" of some cameras.  
2022-10-25
Use props
Bazzafox
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20551 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 10-25 08:30

https://youtu.be/3IvP7kW6zi0

That just shows that not all the cameras have the focus issue. Mine is the same. I mentioned the other day that I couldn’t see any problem with my camera and somebody called me a Shill. I started to think perhaps I needed to get my eyes tested because it seemed everyone else had a bad camera.

I do feel sorry for those that have the issue but just glad I got a good one.
2022-10-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BigTB Posted at 10-25 09:06
Do you feel that evidence of a camera with a more properly focused lens means there are none with a problem?  

I would say that the existence of a black swan is evidence that black swans exist, not that white swans do not.

So maybe point to the post where I said this, I can point to many posts to the contrary

You dismissed my video out of hand by saying that the slight "zoom" effect of the diopter was why the increased detail was seen, despite the actual field of view change being very small.  And my face was noticeably not in focus without the diopter and much sharper with the diopter.

All you did was enhance the lens, but if I go out and spend a 1000k on a lens it will be much more enhanced than the small lens on the A3, further if I put on a zoom lens I will be able to actually see more detail with my own eyes. The test makes no sense unless you’re trying to design a new lens. If I use the same diopter or range of diopters I can see improvements in all lenses, but the whole picture film takes on much different view. If you think you were creating some kind of more pleasing depth of field you failed you just turned up mush in different places of the frame.

Originally you were saying that people with the problem should report it and get their cameras replaced.  Now you seem to be outright denying that any problem exists with anyone's cameras, using as your evidence this video of a better focused one.  

You seem to be contradicting your opening statement. I have been consistent in pointing out ridiculous tests that show nothing except they were bad tests that prove nothing, but certainly serve to create hysteria and bad information especially to beginners or first time users.

Why the change?  Are you denying that ANY of the cameras are out of focus in the 30-300 centimeter range?  Even DJI seem to confirm that there is a problem with some units due to the "large internal parameters" of some cameras.  

No I am not and I posted that I also had a problem but after discussion with dji and changing a few things my camera is more than acceptable a much better all round camera than my A1 and equally as good as my A2
But it seems if you don’t agree with the “prawn sandwich brigade” or if you show what’s actually possible then you are a Liar, fanboy, work for dji, buffoon , amongst many of the names being called if you present anything other than the hysteria.

Incidentally at least I had the decency to reply to your threads it looks like most ignored them.
2022-10-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bazzafox Posted at 10-25 09:34
That just shows that not all the cameras have the focus issue. Mine is the same. I mentioned the other day that I couldn’t see any problem with my camera and somebody called me a Shill. I started to think perhaps I needed to get my eyes tested because it seemed everyone else had a bad camera.

I do feel sorry for those that have the issue but just glad I got a good one.

Well don’t shout it too loud ;+)
2022-10-25
Use props
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 10-25 09:44

So maybe point to the post where I said this, I can point to many posts to the contrary

It just seemed like a couple times someone insisted they had a problem, you were pointing out that video and saying it wrecked their argument and showed that there really wasn't a problem.  If that wasn't your intent, I accept that.
All you did was enhance the lens, but if I go out and spend a 1000k on a lens it will be much more enhanced than the small lens on the A3, further if I put on a zoom lens I will be able to actually see more detail with my own eyes. The test makes no sense unless you’re trying to design a new lens. If I use the same diopter or range of diopters I can see improvements in all lenses, but the whole picture film takes on much different view. If you think you were creating some kind of more pleasing depth of field you failed you just turned up mush in different places of the frame.

I specifically said that the +4 destroyed the outer portion of the frame.  The +2 diopter did not.  I was not trying to create some kind of pleasing depth of field or anything like that.  It also didn't crop in anything like the 4 to 1 you used as an example in my thread.  I beileve the +2 diopter test shows that at distances of 2 feet or so, my Action 3's lens is not in sharp focus.  That's all.

You seem to be contradicting your opening statement. I have been consistent in pointing out ridiculous tests that show nothing except they were bad tests that prove nothing, but certainly serve to create hysteria and bad information especially to beginners or first time users.

I agree that there may be some overly dramatic responses to this situation, but I think that goes for both sides.  Hopefully you don't take anyting I say as an attack or accusation.  Just intended as a friendly discussion.

No I am not and I posted that I also had a problem but after discussion with dji and changing a few things my camera is more than acceptable a much better all round camera than my A1 and equally as good as my A2
But it seems if you don’t agree with the “prawn sandwich brigade” or if you show what’s actually possible then you are a Liar, fanboy, work for dji, buffoon , amongst many of the names being called if you present anything other than the hysteria.

Incidentally at least I had the decency to reply to your threads it looks like most ignored them.

I'm glad you are satisfied with your camera, along with anyone else who is as well, including myself.  I agree that it's a step up from the Action 1.  My Action 3 has similar detail to my A1, but it has better stabilization, better battery life, better colors, and better audio.  I do appreciate that you replied and gave your thoughts.  And I agree that both sides seem to be getting intrenched in their positions and getting a bit aggressive.  Lots of names have been called on both sides, which seems silly.  Hopefully everyone can just agree to discuss, share info and opinions and learn to just let things go.  This camera is a lot of money for some people, but even still, it's not worth stressing over.

2022-10-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BigTB Posted at 10-25 10:14

It just seemed like a couple times someone insisted they had a problem, you were pointing out that video and saying it wrecked their argument and showed that there really wasn't a problem.  If that wasn't your intent, I accept that.

I agree that there may be some overly dramatic responses to this situation, but I think that goes for both sides.  Hopefully you don't take anyting I say as an attack or accusation.  Just intended as a friendly discussion.

We’ll never learn anything if we take personal offense every time someone raises their voice because they might be passionate about something. You certainly didn’t offend me.
2022-10-25
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

2022-10-25
Use props
MANNHEIMER
lvl.2
Germany

Guys you are funny. The footage of my OA3 is absolutely clear out of focus, there ist nothing to discuss about. You may have a better unit, congrats to you, but mine hase a clear issue. As much as I love DJI I have to return the Camera and since I relly need a upgrade with stabiliztaion the Hero 11 is my way to go. I would prefer a working OA3 but getting one of those seems to be more like a lottery game.
2022-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules