DJI Avata Substitute Camera Module
3278 15 2022-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlbertoBC76
lvl.1

Italy

Hello,
is there a possibility with some DIY and Cable rewiring to substitute the DJI Avata camera stock module with some higher quality one, potentially an hassemblad Mavic camera module ptocured as a spare part ? The Avata will be using mainly for high quality live feeds. Any creative idea ?
2022-10-13
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think you are going to get anyone from DJI to agree or say Sure no problem! It might be best to just build your own whoop using the camera you choose. (maybe even cheaper)
2022-10-13
Use props
AlbertoBC76
lvl.1

Italy

Bob Brown Posted at 10-13 09:25
I don't think you are going to get anyone from DJI to agree or say Sure no problem! It might be best to just build your own whoop using the camera you choose. (maybe even cheaper)

We like the Avata for many reasons. Do you think this is going to be possible ? (of course it will void warranty etc.)
2022-10-13
Use props
wa.jesse07
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4686545 ft
United States

AlbertoBC76 Posted at 10-13 09:29
We like the Avata for many reasons. Do you think this is going to be possible ? (of course it will void warranty etc.)

This is most likely not going to work. The camera ribbon cable won't fit.
2022-10-13
Use props
AlbertoBC76
lvl.1

Italy

wa.jesse07 Posted at 10-13 09:33
This is most likely not going to work. The camera ribbon cable won't fit.

Any camera substitution not possible ?
2022-10-13
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

I really like this idea. I'm not sure why DJI doesn't just release an FPV with 422 10 bit and charge us an arm and a leg. I'd happily pay it.
2022-10-13
Use props
AlbertoBC76
lvl.1

United States

How can we make it real with a community driven Mod ?
2022-10-13
Use props
wa.jesse07
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4686545 ft
United States

AlbertoBC76 Posted at 10-13 10:55
How can we make it real with a community driven Mod ?

I don't know if you can.
2022-10-13
Use props
AlbertoBC76
lvl.1

United States

There is always a way. Help from the DJI community welcomed
2022-10-13
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

You cannot even stream from the avata... how will you use that with live feeds?
2022-10-13
Use props
AlbertoBC76
lvl.1

United States

There's a way from the googles
2022-10-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there AlbertoBC76. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Just a friendly reminder that DJI do not recommend for you to modify or replace any components of your DJI Avata. There is a  possibility that these modification will work however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed its reliability when in use. In addition, modifying your DJI Avata might cause damage or harm on your DJI drone and can cause trouble when on flight as well and can void the warranty of your DJI drone as well. Thank you and fly safe always.
2022-10-13
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Try another approach - Just mount Your camera of choice (small enough!) on Avata and film with her? It will be a lot easier and I saw already footage with Hero 11 on Avata and I think it's better.
2022-10-13
Use props
AlbertoBC76
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Yes that's another approach. How to manage the wireless link tough ?
2022-10-13
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

AlbertoBC76 Posted at 10-13 21:40
Yes that's another approach. How to manage the wireless link tough ?

You have No link with add on camera - you just start recording before take off and take Your footage from SD card after landing, like "normal"FPV drones do
2022-10-13
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

alex_markov Posted at 10-13 23:16
You have No link with add on camera - you just start recording before take off and take Your footage from SD card after landing, like "normal"FPV drones do

I think you missed... "The Avata will be using mainly for high quality live feeds."

Getting this to work with another camera is going to take $$$ and a good software engineer to make it happen.  DJI would also have to open source the firmware so that you could get the link working with the new camera to feed to the goggles... I do not think the OP has thought this through very well. It isn't going to be a hack -n- swap kind of config / mod. Is it possible... sure but may as well just develop or build from scratch or find a solution that already exists. Why use an Avata at all? It is not setup to do live feeds at all... not even in the goggles. (Goggles 2 there is no option for live feed that I can see)

Good luck.
2022-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules