Help... Want to open the OA3 to Fix Focus.
2371 13 2022-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
G1tgudscrub
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1434603 ft
  • >>>
United States

I love the OA3, honestly, the UI/Comfort features blow the GP11 out of the water. But this focus thing is a big problem. Basically looks like I have a constant smudge on my lens, especially when filming within 10 ft, i.e. timelapses of me working etc.

I'm decent at electronics. And familiar with inner workings of action cameras in general. Even have the ability to rebead/reball small semiconductors.

So to prevent me from returning this. And I personally, dont care about voiding warranties really.

How can I open the DJI Action 3? I've seen videos of the OA1 being torn down with extreme ease with plastic tools (which I also have) but it seems the OA3 DOESN'T tear down that way at all. It could very much be sealed with taped-gasket like material similar to most cell phones to achieve that dank water rating. In that case, I'll need to heat this thing to a pretty hot temp to remove.

After all that I fear the OA3 has an epoxied lense like the OA1, which I can get the entire thing to a certain temp to not break the soldering but hopefully to loosen the epoxy then do my own adjustments in focus.

Though, from the lens cover, theres maybe <0.5mm of upwards travel it can move, and an unknown amount in reverse. Which is likely about 1 full revolution counter clockwise before it bottoms out on the lens cover (which, could be detrimental to front lens durability) as that front glass is suppose to absorb shock. On the best case scenario, better focus is clockwise (deeper sitting lens).

Any help, or possibly more experienced guidance will be appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~

My thoughts...

Removes similarly like the OA1?

-Front facing panel is secured with a tape gasket + snap clips.
-Action 3 logo possibly hides something?-Bottom Mic cover can be removed, and nothing is really securing it down except friction and a little rubber glue on 4 feet.
-Maybe accessible from the rear LCD screen using a suction cup + heat + Plastic pry tool? (Doubtful)
-Bottom rubber pad in the middle of the mounting notch hiding something? (Doubtful)

I'd love to make a teardown video, and even DIY fix to this issue if I can get it open.

2022-10-13
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-13
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Would love to see that in a video, BUT there could be a chance that the lens itself is in bad quality (lens group).
What you could try (atleast first) is using a macro adapter or something to check if you will get it to focus correctly so then you will know for sure if the lens itself is good and just need focus fixed.

If would try this myself if I could find some of my macro adapters.
2022-10-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. We totally understand and respect your skills however, we do not recommend doing a DIY repair on the unit as we cannot guarantee that this will work as expected. If you are having issues with the unit, you may contact our team at https://www.dji.com/support to start up a ticket case. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-10-14
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

Well I can undrstand why DJI is not wanting their cameras to be opened. Imagine that people finally find out what the actual problem is. That will not be possitive news for DJI then.
The OP bought this camera and so now it's his own ownership. And he can do with it whatever he likes to do with it now. He already mentiones that he's aware of the warranty.

If DJI doesn't want to people opening their newly camera's then I think they should communicate more openly and come over with concrete statements and sollutions now. It's already a month after release now.
2022-10-16
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

Maybe this wil be a bit helpfull?

2022-10-16
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

I've recieved my OA3 today. This camera will need to have a verry tight fit to be waterproof ofcourse. But to me it looks like front cover is fixed to the case. I can spot a slight gap on the back lid, the screen side. So I suppose the camera is to be openend here.
So if true, this means that all the internals have to be removed in order to reach the sensor and the lens.

I'm actually pretty sure the front is one with the case...
2022-10-17
Use props
andrianus putra
New

Indonesia

I really love OA3, and finally I can have it
At first there were many doubts about buying it, but I still fell in love with OA3. After the camera was in my hands, I tried to get rid of my doubts about the focus problem, I tried to rotate it counterclockwise, a few degrees on my camera lens and it was true that the results were better.
And the question is whether spare parts are available for the lenses because I have few lenses
2023-7-8
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI does not offer to the public they  locked this tightly down find a broken camera
2023-7-8
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can unscrew the outer lens cover then the lens itself can be turned in or out to change focus.
2023-7-9
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you keep turning the lens anticlockwise it will come out exposing the sensor.
The risky part is getting a grip on the lens as there is not much to get hold of and if your tool slips it will scratch - it is only plastic.
There may be a bit of glue involved to stop it moving but it is possible to break it free withot doing anything special
2023-7-9
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

put a nice O-ring washer on it and you may be able to slide it but mark  both lens and frame  so you know the turn.   welcome to the  focul club
2023-7-9
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

Maybe this video will help you. At the beginning I also thought that you had to open the camera to solve the problem, but in the end it wasn't necessary at all.

2023-7-11
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

someone is saying they want to exchange the lens out and think the Runcam flip 2 fits it which is an M12, while dji said  nothing.
2023-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules