DJI Osmo Action 3 Release Notes (10/14/2022)
12Next >
17318 76 2022-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Support
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Overview
  • Date: 2022.10.14
  • Firmware Version: v01.01.05.40
  • DJI Mimo App iOS: v1.8.3
  • DJI Mimo App Android: v1.8.2

What’s New?
  • Enhanced the clarity of certain configurations.
  • Added volume control function. High, medium, low, and mute are now available.
  • Speeded up the boot time of the camera.
  • Optimized detection algorithms of the touchscreens to reduce false touches when going in and out of water.
  • Optimized automatic exposure to improve image quality and enhance color performance when used in scenes with low light.
  • Added automatic screen orientation when playing back footage.
  • Optimized the edge distortion of footage when Standard (Dewarp) is selected.
  • Improved the compatibility with Android 13.
  • Fixed some minor bugs.

Notes:
  • If the update fails, follow the steps for troubleshooting.
1. Restart Osmo Action 3 and DJI Mimo.
2. Enable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the mobile device.
3. Connect Osmo Action 3 to DJI Mimo and try the update again.
Contact DJI Support if the update fails again.

2022-10-13
Use props
G1tgudscrub
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1434603 ft
  • >>>
United States

Installing...
2022-10-13
Use props
Frontliner 2020
lvl.4
Philippines

thanks for the info and update dji...
2022-10-13
Use props
djiuser_rDICYpD1xPJ5
lvl.1

Greece

I think they fixed the focus issue, also I have the impression that they activated the 10bit color
2022-10-13
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Downloading now and hope for the best
2022-10-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the update!
2022-10-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_rDICYpD1xPJ5 Posted at 10-13 22:19
I think they fixed the focus issue, also I have the impression that they activated the 10bit color

Did you notice any difference in the focus?
2022-10-13
Use props
djiuser_rDICYpD1xPJ5
lvl.1

Greece

Yes after update the photos are perfectly sharp!!!
2022-10-13
Use props
djiuser_FMscKiSROmO3
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Looks very similar to the beta firmware update ? No 10 bit colour yet
2022-10-13
Use props
stagnant
lvl.3
Norway

I did some testing and it is much better so its usable now. I placed it 30cm from my computer screen and could read the text on the screen and that was not possible yesterday. My hair/beard actually looks like hair now and not just a scrambled mess. Still not as sharp as the OA1, but im sure it will get there with some day. Thank you DJI!
2022-10-13
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

It looks way sharper now indeed, but in distance it doesn't look great for my first test.

And still 8 bit (I checked)

2022-10-13
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

This is a screen capture of a big zoom in 2 pics taken in same conditions before/after firmware update. 100 ISO, 1/25 s, ~32 cm from Cam. ~30 min apart (illumination changed a bit).
Which one better? Before: left, After: right.
My copy was already good, so difference is minimal here.
2022-10-13
Use props
aliveathome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 237812 ft
Sweden

Hi, took photos of the box before and after the new firmware released today and it's a small increase in quality I think.

Before: Firmware version 01.01.04.40 and Camera firmware version V10.00.06.25
After: Firmware version 01.01.05.40 and Camera firmware version V10.00.06.29

Can't attach them here because of the file size but check the original files on Google Drive including comparison photos: All photos here

I attached a sample from the background.
2022-10-13
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

And still no Gyro data
2022-10-14
Use props
cehart
lvl.2

Austria

Did a very small test in my garden, for myself it looks now much better then before, grass and trees are sharper. GoPro9 is still better but I think I can live with that on OA3. Will make a longer test with bycycle soon, hopefully my first impression was not false - I real want to keep the cam, so far thanks to DJI for supplying the new Firmware....
2022-10-14
Use props
djiuser_mRT3IobkwCrF
lvl.2

Germany

I don't think that there is any problem in any of the cameras so far.
I switched from the OA1 to the OA3 and yes the OA1 appears sharper in closer distance - but that is no wonder!

The OA1 has a much smaller sensor and a lense which is less wide resulting in much more depth of field compared to the OA3.
On the OA3 if you want to compare something at the same distance to the OA1,  you have to crop in much more due to the wider lense on the OA3 which already reduces quality since the sensor noise becomes more obvious and eats up detail. At the same time the shallower DOF gives you a bigger minimum focus distance than the OA1. You can never reach the same on the OA3.

So the only thing that DJI can change is the wording in the technical specs, saying the 0.3m is wrong but it is more like 0.8m (round about), but that's about it!
(and yes this FW update here is only adding some sharpness and contrast, nothing else that could not be done in post with the old FW already).
2022-10-14
Use props
Pocketcoin
lvl.2
Singapore

alright im keeping it.
2022-10-14
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_rDICYpD1xPJ5 Posted at 10-13 22:19

It is still 8 bit at 4k/25 anyway.
They have made the image sharper it is not better focused, the effect now reminds me of the footage from my DJI Vision Plus in 2013.
Maybe they had some chipsets left over
2022-10-14
Use props
martindoersch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 556138 ft
Austria

First test after the update. I did a mountainbike ride here with 4K 50 and it seems to be ok/better now.Thanks for now!
2022-10-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I am sure that if they had added 10 bit (and gyro data) it would have been mentioned in the release notes.
2022-10-14
Use props
cehart
lvl.2

Austria

cehart Posted at 10-14 01:45
Did a very small test in my garden, for myself it looks now much better then before, grass and trees are sharper. GoPro9 is still better but I think I can live with that on OA3. Will make a longer test with bycycle soon, hopefully my first impression was not false - I real want to keep the cam, so far thanks to DJI for supplying the new Firmware....

Did now also some small bicycle ride and cross-checked the sharpness over grass and tress, OA3 looks to be ok now for myself, I think I will keep my OA3. I also compared it with my gopro9. Normally on GoPro I used "Middle" for Sharpness, now I did 3 test with sharpness mode "Low, Middle and High", see below my personal fact findings:
- OA3 looks better as GoPro in Low Sharpness Mode (what an bad quality on gopro9)
- OA3 looks a little bit worse as GoPro in Middle Sharpness Mode (but both looks fine for myself)
- GoPro in High Sharpness is not my favorite at all...
2022-10-14
Use props
Nick87
lvl.2
Russia

After the update, the picture became cleaner; but I'm still waiting  support for "HDR video" mode in 10 bit for non-professionals (not only D-Cinelike)
2022-10-14
Use props
WiscoPaddler
lvl.4
United States

Awesome, thank you!
2022-10-14
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

Yaman-Python Posted at 10-13 23:35
This is a screen capture of a big zoom in 2 pics taken in same conditions before/after firmware update. 100 ISO, 1/25 s, ~32 cm from Cam. ~30 min apart (illumination changed a bit).
Which one better? Before: left, After: right.
My copy was already good, so difference is minimal here.

Right is surely better, but both look quite soft/blurry?
2022-10-14
Use props
stagnant
lvl.3
Norway

I really wish DJI would communicate better and tell us what is going on because some people are told by customer service that it is a software problem and others that it is hardware. Mine got alot better after the firmware update, but its still not close to my OA1 in picture quality. The store i bought it from would not accept it back so now im torn between putting it up for sale for 50% of the price or just keeping it in a drawer and hope that some day maybe it will be as good as the OA1.

By not making a statement they only create more confusion and distrust.
2022-10-14
Use props
cehart
lvl.2

Austria

cehart Posted at 10-14 01:45
Did a very small test in my garden, for myself it looks now much better then before, grass and trees are sharper. GoPro9 is still better but I think I can live with that on OA3. Will make a longer test with bycycle soon, hopefully my first impression was not false - I real want to keep the cam, so far thanks to DJI for supplying the new Firmware....

I´m still not happy, checked now in my videos some sequences by single frames and I still see that the OA3 is out of focus. I will send now my OA3 back as my old gopro is much better, sorry DJI. It was almost the same with the video quality if I was trying to switch from Plasma TV to LED TV, no way for myself...only OLED had a chance...  
2022-10-14
Use props
djiuser_xtBb185Jybj2
lvl.2
United States

cehart Posted at 10-14 14:06
I´m still not happy, checked now in my videos some sequences by single frames and I still see that the OA3 is out of focus. I will send now my OA3 back as my old gopro is much better, sorry DJI. It was almost the same with the video quality if I was trying to switch from Plasma TV to LED TV, no way for myself...only OLED had a chance...

I think I am returning mine also. Tomorrow is day 10 since I received it so I think I am well in the 14 day return window.

I really, really tried to keep it. I love the UI, the mount and the fact that my Osmo Action 1 always worked. But the focus problem and external mic problem are just too much to compromise on.

I hate GoPro but for now I will keep using my Hero 10. It is mostly reliable.

I will probably purchase the Action 3 again in January. Hopefully by then these problems will be fixed.
2022-10-14
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_xtBb185Jybj2 Posted at 10-14 14:24
I think I am returning mine also. Tomorrow is day 10 since I received it so I think I am well in the 14 day return window.

I really, really tried to keep it. I love the UI, the mount and the fact that my Osmo Action 1 always worked. But the focus problem and external mic problem are just too much to compromise on.

Since the GoPro 9, I was also a GoPro hater, but after trying out the Action 2 and 3 for a local shop considering selling them, I got my hands on a GoPro 11 and it is pretty amazing.

After the Action 3 release,  I’ve gone full circle and don’t regret going back. Not sure how much an improvement the 11 is on the 10, but I think it’s a terrific little camera.
2022-10-14
Use props
Kruisr
lvl.2

Germany

With which update the audio quality with external (and DJI recommended) microphone is finally guaranteed?

If you use the cam as an action cam (surprise!) on a helmet and want to record audio comments in the helmet, you only get distorted and completely unusable audio material.

When will this be fixed?

Link to the Audio-Quality:
https://youtu.be/xMlvglgru-4
2022-10-15
Use props
united by water
lvl.4
United States

Kruisr Posted at 10-15 02:38
With which update the audio quality with external (and DJI recommended) microphone is finally guaranteed?

If you use the cam as an action cam (surprise!) on a helmet and want to record audio comments in the helmet, you only get distorted and completely unusable audio material.

According to FlyPath this adapter works with the OA3 (skip to 19:15):
Link to that adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0849R ... t_b_product_details

2022-10-15
Use props
Kruisr
lvl.2

Germany

united by water Posted at 10-15 03:43
According to FlyPath this adapter works with the OA3 (skip to 19:15):
Link to that adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0849R ... t_b_product_details

I think there's a misunderstanding here: You don't need an adapter when using a USB-C microphone.

Following this post:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =276619&pid=2872187

DJI recommends these external microphones listed there. I tested this with one of the microphones recommended there. The audio is distorted and therefore unusable.

NOW a USB-C adapter is recommended to use a microphone with jack connector?
In the linked video, the external microphone is also not used as it can happen with an action cam (!): In a helmet. There the microphone is in the chin area close to the mouth. It is the same problem as with the Osmo Action 1, you can NOT regulate the input sensitivity below 0db.
2022-10-15
Use props
Rudeboy421
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112215 ft
United States

stagnant Posted at 10-14 09:41
I really wish DJI would communicate better and tell us what is going on because some people are told by customer service that it is a software problem and others that it is hardware. Mine got alot better after the firmware update, but its still not close to my OA1 in picture quality. The store i bought it from would not accept it back so now im torn between putting it up for sale for 50% of the price or just keeping it in a drawer and hope that some day maybe it will be as good as the OA1.

By not making a statement they only create more confusion and distrust.

You have the refresh care?
2022-10-15
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like in camera sharpness and more contrast.
2022-10-15
Use props
djiuser_eMuw8v0pfli2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 74160 ft
United States

Before the new update everything was fine. After the new update I'm not able to record in a setting I was able to prior to the update... I even tried dropping it down to 1080 and same thing!!
2022-10-15
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you lose one of the field of views? What was the setting you lost?
2022-10-15
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Isn't the new sharpness just some artificial in camera software sharpening. That is actually worse for people doing post processing. DJI has been known for its baked in over sharpening in the earlier drones.

And come on DJI people want gyro data that ought to be the easiest update ever, just a timecoded dump from the gryosensor.
2022-10-15
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Mikedefieslife Posted at 10-15 14:01
Isn't the new sharpness just some artificial in camera software sharpening. That is actually worse for people doing post processing. DJI has been known for its baked in over sharpening in the earlier drones.

And come on DJI people want gyro data that ought to be the easiest update ever, just a timecoded dump from the gryosensor.

There is no sharpening added when shooting in D-Cinelike is the answer I got from DJI.
2022-10-15
Use props
TNQ
lvl.2
Turkey

And my question is here ; we do lose time for returning product if we want to while waiting firmware would fix the issue(s). I see it's still not there where it needs to be. Look for a simple akaso brand cameras shoot much way sharper and details in focus.

DJI please do confirm for the replacement of our units with fixed ones.
2022-10-16
Use props
yoichiosuga
lvl.1

Japan

There is a bug where audio is missing for 1 second at the end of the each file when recording for long periods of time.
And sounds are recorded out of sync.

The settings are as below
2.7K Aspect ratio = 4:3 HEVC  with Lexar 98mb/s Fast micro SD Card
2022-10-16
Use props
gotstabnoel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32953 ft
United States

I’m seeing and reading a lot of talk regarding focus.  The most recent update improved the sharpness of items butt it looks like focus is still an issue.  This is my first action camera and it seems like my experience now is pretty bad and I’m getting to the point of seeing so many reviews saying focus even after the update is still bad that I need to return this product.  It’s going with the saying “you get what you pay for” and I should have just shelled out for the GP hero 11.

I’m by no means a camera expert, and I feel like I’m part of a population without big experience on film that just bought a product that has all these negative reviews.  

I’m curious to see how many out of focus cameras are there and if it’s a certain batch that DJI warrants a recall.  It’s not a car we bought but at the same time I’d think if there was such a vocal outpouring of a specific issue that a recall would just be implemented.  
2022-10-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules