2008 5 2022-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aoe2paladin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1823077 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey guys, placed an order for 2ea (his + hers) Avata Pro-View Combo kits on Oct 6.  One kit came in today and the other will come in tomorrow.  I've spent hours lurking on these forums and watching big and small content creators on YouTube talk about the good / bad of the Avata.  I had mixed emotions about getting the unit and using the Goggles 2.  Below are my impressions on the open issues along with some battery / charging details that I couldn't find anywhere.

Charging
- There is a lot of misunderstanding about what power supplies / cables to use to charge the various batteries at the fastest rate possible.
- DJI does state in a few random places that they suggest the DJI 65W USB-C adapter and I agree that this is likely the best / simplest option for most people.
- DJI also states that the batteries (except the Motion Controller?) are compatible with the "Power Delivery" standard that can output higher than 5V to the device.
- DJI states that the Motion Controller cannot be charged at more than 5V or damage will occur.

- The Power Delivery protocol allows voltages greater than the standard USB 5V which allows more power (watts) to the device in order to charge it faster (20V x 5A = 100W vs 5V x 5A = 25W).  This requires both the charger and the device to be PD compatible.
- Using a small iPhone 5W charging plug (5V x 1A = 5W) will take much longer to charge an Avata 35.71Wh battery than the DJI 65W adapter for instance
- Keep in mind that not all charging cables are created equal and a cable capable of the desired wattage is required

Power Delivery Table

Power Delivery Table

- Avata Battery Charger can accept (45W max)
  • 5V x 3A = 15W
  • 9V x 5A = 45W
  • 12V x 3A = 36W
  • 15V x 3A = 45W
  • 20V x 2.25A = 45W
  • Battery Capacity 35.71Wh (35.71Wh / 45W = 0.793555 * 60 = 47.61 minutes per charge)
  • Using the Anker 737 Power Bank or Anker 737 Charger a battery pack charged at 20V x 2.27A = 45.4W in 45 minutes

Avata Battery Charging

Avata Battery Charging

- Avata Battery Charging Hub can accept (65W max)
  • 5-20V @ 5A (from website / sticker)
  • 20V @ 3.23A = 65W (from testing)
  • The battery charging hub will first charge all batteries to 94% according to their remaining battery levels (from high to low), and then charge them all to 100% in sequence.

- Goggles 2 Battery can accept (12.6W max)
  • 5V x 2A = 10W
  • 9V x 1.4A = 12.6W
  • Battery Capacity 18Wh (18Wh / 12.6W = 1.4286 * 60 = 85.71 minutes per charge)
  • Using the Anker 737 Power Bank or Anker 737 Charger a battery pack charged at 9.165V x 1.39A = 12.7W in 83 minutes

IMG_0909.jpg

- Motion Controller Battery can accept (5W max)
  • 5V x 1A = 5W
  • [website also says 5V x 2A = 10W, but the controller case doesn't say this, nor did it charge at 2A]
  • Battery Capacity 9.36Wh (9.36Wh / 4.5W = 2.08 * 60 = 124.8 minutes per charge)
  • Using the Anker 737 Power Bank or Anker 737 Charger a battery pack charged at 5.12V x 0.88A = 4.5W in 83 minutes (was ~50% charged from factory)

IMG_0900.jpg

- Charging TLDR : A 65W Power Delivery charger like what DJI offers is enough wattage to charge everything in the kit at once (45W + 12.6W + 5W = 62.6W), but it only has one USB-A and one USB-C connection, so you are limited to Motion Controller and one other battery / hub.  Other alternatives exist that would allow you to plug in all three devices simultaneously if the need ever arises.

Charging All

Charging All

Pairing
- As with many others, I was able to get the Goggles 2 to link / activate following the instructions in the DJI Fly app "Connection Guide", but following the prompts and in-app instructions, I could not get the Motion Controller or Avata to pair to the Goggles 2.  The app simply says to install the battery and power the device (controller + Avata) on while it searches for it.  Multiple device restarts did not help.
- Scanning the blue "Linking is Required" sticker barcode on the outside of the Avata box brought me to the Getting Started video which shows how to manually link all devices outside of the DJI Fly app.
- Manually pairing the devices via the Getting Started video worked on the first try.  A video of just this process is below:
https://cn-videos.dji.net/video_trans/5631837f56fa4ede988b51f70c8ee162/720.mp4

Goggles 2
- Was worried about all of the mixed reviews regarding fitment and clarity of the screens, was already thinking I would have to trade for Goggles V2 somehow
- The lenses do make it somewhat difficult to get the far extends of the screens to be clear because the ideal viewing of the screen is through the direct center of the lens, which means that not only horizontal adjustment but also vertical adjustment on your face is pretty important.  It spent about 5 minutes going back / forth making tiny adjustments to the diopter and lens distance using only one eye at a time (other eye closed) then adding both eyes and making more tiny adjustments.  Once I could see the entire screen with no blur on either side, I adjusted the entire goggles vertically on my face until I didn't have blur on the top / bottom.  It took some time, but I was able to make 95% of the screen clear (not perfect, but I won't notice the 5% on the corners during flight).  As a side note, my diopters are just slightly off 0 after adjustment.  I understand that everyone's mileage will vary, but in my case, I'm happy with the results.  The biggest negative here that DJI can fix is how critical it seems that you have to look directly through the center of the lens to get a perfect picture, but I'm sure this is a tradeoff with the size of lens and diopter adjustment.  I feel larger lenses (larger focal point?) would rectify this issue for most people.
- The foam is rather stiff, but lucky for me I guess, it rests on my cheek bones when it is in the proper vertical position for clear picture as described above.  While it does touch the bridge of my nose, it does not rest there.  I have a rather small face with a large nose.  I wore the goggles for about 15-30 minutes while messing with lenses and settings and didn't have any discomfort, will see how things go during longer use.  The factory foam is pretty stiff and I can see how this is not ideal for different facial structures.  I feel that thicker / plusher / softer material could rectify this issue as it would allow more give to different facial features, but I do understand that the eyes need to stay fairly close to the lenses with the current lens design.  I would explore 3rd party options if they became available.

FPV Controller 2- Waiting on this like everyone else.  I don't think that putting my email address in the "In Stock Reminder" button ever few days is helping, but I keep trying for some reason.  B&H Photo says they will be in stock on Oct 19 and appears to let you actually place an order, but I will have to wait for DJI to get them back in stock so I can use my store credit on something.

Format SD Card
- I installed SD cards in both the Avata and the Goggles 2.  The first thing I did in the menus was verify the Avata was set to SD Card and formatted both of them, lol, so hopefully I don't have the recording errors.

2nd Unit
- The second Avata arrives tomorrow, so I will apply the lessons learned here and see whether everything works out of the box the first time.
- I have not flown the current Avata yet, so maybe some things in this post change over the next few days.  Wish me luck.
2022-10-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for sharing!
Good luck!
2022-10-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lots of information.  Many thanks for the share.
2022-10-14
Use props
thimen24
New

Sweden

Hey, how many times can you charge the Avata battery on a single charge with the Anker 737?
Thanks!
2022-10-16
Use props
aoe2paladin
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

thimen24 Posted at 10-16 04:38
Hey, how many times can you charge the Avata battery on a single charge with the Anker 737?
Thanks!

About 2.5 - 3 depending on how low you run them.  I usually only run them down to 20% or so.
2022-10-16
Use props
aoe2paladin
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

OP UPDATE:

- Setup of the 2nd unit using the proper pairing technique on the DJI video worked the first time with no issues
- Had doubts about using the Motion Controller, but it is actually pretty simple and fairly accurate in controlling the aircraft, much better than a Wii Remote for sure.
- The Anker 737 battery bank can only charge 2.5 - 3 Avata batteries per charge, the included 140W cable only charges at 88W Max using the Anker 737 120W Adapter.  Takes about 30 - 45 min for full charge of battery bank.
- The Goggles 2 viewing area and fitment is still good / comfortable and does not hurt my face.  Keep in mind I have a small face, am Italian not Chinese for what its worth.
- Had to use Turtle Mode once and it worked perfectly, just flew it back home
- Getting to the USB-C port on the aircraft is a pain and it isn't much easier to remove the SD card either.  Have ordered a right angle adapter in hopes that it fixes this issue.  Connecting to the MacBook was simple and both the Internal and SD Card folders showed up in Finder.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B2NJ3P3L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ISSUE
- The picture in the Goggles 2 starts tearing or completely changes to a bunch of funky colors after a few flights??  The issue is intermittent and seems to do with the temperature of the goggles after extended use??  Had to emergency land in a field once as all I could see were funky colors.  It got that bad twice out of 15 flights.  It does not show up on recorded video and also affects the overlay, so it has to be an issue with the displays NOT the video / signal.  It will tear even when I am 5 FT from the aircraft.  I'm trying to catch it going full crazy so I can record a video with my phone and send it to Tech Support.
2022-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules