Audio Clipping with Purple Panda Mic
2186 13 2022-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_xtBb185Jybj2
lvl.2
United States

I fime while riding a motorcycle so I use a Purple Panda lapel mic so I can narrate videos. The little microphone icon on the camera stays red most of the time. I have a dead cat on the mic.

I need to do more testing but I think I am also getting some pops and clicks. I am guessing my mic is too sensitive.

I have ordered a no name USB-C mic from Amazon which will be here tomorrow to give a try.

Has anyone else had this problem? Are there adaptors to cut down the mic signal level a little? The Purple Panda has a 3.5 plug. I used a 3.5 to USB-C adaptor. Maybe that is causing problems.

Thanks,
Bobby

2022-10-14
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I have the same problem with BOYA mic, and it is red all time and + gain on volume.

2022-10-14
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you adjusting it via microphone icon in Pro mode?
It goes from 0db to +20db but I did think the change was not very dramatic.
Some mics have inbuilt noise cancelling which gives bad effect in a situation like recording on bike or car with constant background noise
2022-10-14
Use props
djiuser_xtBb185Jybj2
lvl.2
United States

4wd Posted at 10-14 14:03
Are you adjusting it via microphone icon in Pro mode?
It goes from 0db to +20db but I did think the change was not very dramatic.
Some mics have inbuilt noise cancelling which gives bad effect in a situation like recording on bike or car with constant background noise

I forgot about the microphone setting in Pro mode. But it can only turn things on/off. There is no setting for db gain.

I really want this thing to work, but I am close to returning it. I think I have a couple of days left in the 14 day window.

I hate GoPro but I think I may have to keep using my Hero 10. It was mostly stable on a 3 week cross country motorcycle ride in Mar of this year. Only froze up 3-4 times in 3 weeks which is hugely reliable compared to the Hero 9 I returned.

Dang, I hate this.
2022-10-14
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_xtBb185Jybj2 Posted at 10-14 14:08
I forgot about the microphone setting in Pro mode. But it can only turn things on/off. There is no setting for db gain.

I really want this thing to work, but I am close to returning it. I think I have a couple of days left in the 14 day window.

When you have a microphone plugged in and active, you should see 0db to 20db.
2022-10-14
Use props
Kruisr
lvl.2

Germany

Here is a video that shows how it sounds with a relatively expensive USB-C microphone that is even recommended by DJI. You can set the audio gain to 0db minmalst down more does not work. The audio is completely distorted and unusable. There is nothing like that with a GoPro Hero9. There you get absolutely clean audio.

Basically it is an old problem that was already known from the OA1 and was NEVER fixed. For me, this "action" cam is therefore unusable on the motorcycle.

Link zum Video: https://youtu.be/xMlvglgru-4
2022-10-15
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Kruisr Posted at 10-15 02:43
Here is a video that shows how it sounds with a relatively expensive USB-C microphone that is even recommended by DJI. You can set the audio gain to 0db minmalst down more does not work. The audio is completely distorted and unusable. There is nothing like that with a GoPro Hero9. There you get absolutely clean audio.

Basically it is an old problem that was already known from the OA1 and was NEVER fixed. For me, this "action" cam is therefore unusable on the motorcycle.

OA1 with Cynoava adapter works great for me when out driving on my atv, but have only tested with cheap mic from ebay.
2022-10-15
Use props
Kruisr
lvl.2

Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 10-15 15:44
OA1 with Cynoava adapter works great for me when out driving on my atv, but have only tested with cheap mic from ebay.

Also the Cynova adapter has distorted audio on me with the OA1. It does not work at all with the OA3.
2022-10-16
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kruisr Posted at 10-16 00:26
Also the Cynova adapter has distorted audio on me with the OA1. It does not work at all with the OA3.

Do you mean it is too hot and over modulating like the purple panda?
Lavaliers do have different gain levels though I am no expert in what db gain (+ or -) you are looking for.
I had a similar problem using Sony FDR X3000 with helmet mic including their own mics I never found one that wasn't too 'hot'
2022-10-16
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Kruisr Posted at 10-16 00:26
Also the Cynova adapter has distorted audio on me with the OA1. It does not work at all with the OA3.

Here is my test with Cynova adapter on OA1 and a cheap lav mic from ebay that doesn't boost sound like my newest BOYA mic does.

Watch it from right before 3 min and you can hear how it sounds like

2022-10-16
Use props
Kruisr
lvl.2

Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 10-16 01:44
Here is my test with Cynova adapter on OA1 and a cheap lav mic from ebay that doesn't boost sound like my newest BOYA mic does.

Thanks for the video. Is the microphone in the chin area of the helmet directly in front of the mouth? And how does it behave when you drive fast and the ventilation is open? That is an immense difference in use.
2022-10-16
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Kruisr Posted at 10-16 06:12
Thanks for the video. Is the microphone in the chin area of the helmet directly in front of the mouth? And how does it behave when you drive fast and the ventilation is open? That is an immense difference in use.

It is straight in front of my mouth clipped on the vent and with deadcat on.
When I drive fast it is a lot of noise, but it is possible to hear what I say.
And when I close the visor (front cover on helmet) there sound will be even better but it feel like I'm talking really loud when out there talking and driving so it is a bit unusual in beginning.

But my atv makes a lot of noise, so with more quiet bike there will not be a problem I think.
2022-10-16
Use props
MotoRoel
lvl.2

Netherlands

Im also facing this issue, the audio is not clipping on screen but at speeds higher than 60 kph it sounds very distorted
2022-12-19
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

try in pro modus
mic gain can select now -12 db to + 20db
2022-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules