Action 2 FOV and stabilisation test for vlogging
1907 13 2022-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Here's some examples of all the FOVs and stabilisation options for the Action 2 for vloggy stuff. Interestingly, Steady seems to produce a sharper picture compared to RockSteady and the standard Wide FOV seems the most useful as well, at least for this type of stuff, as far as geometry is concerned. Whatever Rocksteady is doing, it's geometry correction is quite odd and it seems to smear the definition/sharpness in parts of the frame with its processing.

2022-10-14
Use props
djiuser_XhlGMWuywF3b
lvl.1

Vietnam

thank you <3
2022-10-14
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

A bit strange for Steady to look sharper than Rocksteady, given that Steady crops more, don't you think?
2022-10-15
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fish sticks Posted at 10-15 03:04
A bit strange for Steady to look sharper than Rocksteady, given that Steady crops more, don't you think?

Yes, you would think it’s odd, especially given that it’s likely that Steady at 4K at certain FOVs is likely to be under the 4K’s optical resolution.

Given the obvious differences, it may also explain some of the issue that people are having with the 3 as far as certain softening of focus is conserved.

While I don’t doubt that some people have definitely got a misaligned lens on their Action 3. I’m going to bet that if anyone with a 3 does the same test as this that I’ve done with the 2. They are going to see similar results with the softening of the image in particular combinations of FOV and stability.

It’s clear that with the 2, the internal processing of the Action for selecting FOV, combined with particular geometry processing for stability, is definitely impacting on the quality/sharpness of what the sensor is capturing.
2022-10-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks good!
2022-10-15
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yes, it does. I think I'm going to settle on this for some specific vloggy type stuff. The form factor using just the camera module for vloggy stuff is awesome.
2022-10-15
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

You are very welcome
2022-10-15
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

God you can talk!  (And I say that with respect and admiration!).  Anyway, it seemed to me that Rocksteady sharpness on the face was significantly better in sunlight - maybe I imagined that, maybe it's to be expected in any mode.
2022-10-15
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-15 14:02
God you can talk!  (And I say that with respect and admiration!).  Anyway, it seemed to me that Rocksteady sharpness on the face was significantly better in sunlight - maybe I imagined that, maybe it's to be expected in any mode.

No, you didn't imagine that. I was actually very surprised myself, given that most people would default to RockSteady, it does impact on picture quality, sharpness and geometry quite a bit. Wide and Steady look to be the best tradeoff for vloggy walking stuff.
2022-10-15
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Personally I always use one of the horizon locking modes, being totally incapable of holding any camera straight...
2022-10-15
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-15 15:22
Personally I always use one of the horizon locking modes, being totally incapable of holding any camera straight...

Yes, that horizon mode does a great job of taking the edge off unstable movements. Which is a good job because I don't pay any attention to anything when I'm walking and talking.
2022-10-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

David_Harry Posted at 10-15 12:41
Yes, it does. I think I'm going to settle on this for some specific vloggy type stuff. The form factor using just the camera module for vloggy stuff is awesome.

Much better than holding my DSLR at arm's length
2022-10-16
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 10-16 11:22
Much better than holding my DSLR at arm's length

Definitely. I tried doing this with an A7 and my vlogs were only 10 seconds long
2022-10-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

David_Harry Posted at 10-16 12:44
Definitely. I tried doing this with an A7 and my vlogs were only 10 seconds long

Hahahahahahahahaha.
Yeah something like that!
2022-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules