Focus issue: test shots with the latest firmware v01.01.05.40
46599 1324 2022-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

johansenfoto Posted at 11-17 09:38
I always got 110 Mbit/s. Could be because I record in 60 fps.

Marco's test shots are all 30fps. Ok, before I jump to conclusions I will just wait until tomorrow and do some 4K shooting (which I normally don't do) and try.
2022-11-17
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

osmonauta Posted at 11-17 09:31
I shouldn't have looked at your new test shots because now I'm upset. How on earth are you getting 110 Mbit/s on your 4K videos!? I shot a few of them just now, albeit in the room because it's already dark outside, but every single 4K, 4:3, 30fps, HEVC, no stabilization, footage is between 69-77 Mbit/s. That's not even close to 110. How is this possible!? I tried a still footage just on a tripod, tried walking around in the room, tried full auto, tried Pro mode with 100-200 ISO. Still the highest I got is 77 Mbit.

Does this has to do with lighting conditions? Obviously in a room with a light is not as bright as outside during day but this difference would cost 40 Mbits?

Yes, the movies I took are in 4K at 30 fps, 110 Mbps.
Any stabilization disabled, camera reset to default and made accel/gyro calibration.
I post this image comparing my first OA3 and this one, extracted from the two respective DNGs, always made at 40cm.
And do you guys see any differences?
Never mind the different color, dwell on the focus detail.
Tomorrow I will try again hoping for more decent brightness, but for me nothing has changed, my 2 cents.

2022-11-17
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

However, I am telling you this now because we are at the apotheosis of pure insanity.
He had Care Refresh on the OA3 sent in for service, and the one they sent me to test had been activated by them.
Moral: on the one I have now I can't transfer the Care Refresh from the other one because it was activated by the service center in NL and DJI can't do it either, so i have to send this OA3 back too and they will replace it for me again, 4th OA3!
Only positive note: the first time they sent me a DJI hat as a gift, this time a backpack and a pen, what will they send me the next time, an Avata?

damndamndamn.jpg
2022-11-17
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

osmonauta Posted at 11-17 09:31
I shouldn't have looked at your new test shots because now I'm upset. How on earth are you getting 110 Mbit/s on your 4K videos!? I shot a few of them just now, albeit in the room because it's already dark outside, but every single 4K, 4:3, 30fps, HEVC, no stabilization, footage is between 69-77 Mbit/s. That's not even close to 110. How is this possible!? I tried a still footage just on a tripod, tried walking around in the room, tried full auto, tried Pro mode with 100-200 ISO. Still the highest I got is 77 Mbit.

Does this has to do with lighting conditions? Obviously in a room with a light is not as bright as outside during day but this difference would cost 40 Mbits?

And isn't it HEVC and H.264 codec?
2022-11-17
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

StevoB Posted at 11-17 10:27
And isn't it HEVC and H.264 codec?

HEVC is h265. I used all the same settings as Marco did.
2022-11-17
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

osmonauta Posted at 11-17 10:54
HEVC is h265. I used all the same settings as Marco did.

However, there is a big difference between h.264 and h.265. The default setting is h.265. h.264 is more preferred for compatibility reasons.
2022-11-17
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

StevoB Posted at 11-17 11:10
However, there is a big difference between h.264 and h.265. The default setting is h.265. h.264 is more preferred for compatibility reasons.

Yes, I know that. But the point was, that using the same settings as Marco did, he got 110Mbits at 4K and I got at most 77. And wasn't sure why. Unless it has to do with lighting conditions - which I will test tomorrow during the day.
2022-11-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

MarcoR Posted at 11-17 10:13
However, I am telling you this now because we are at the apotheosis of pure insanity.
He had Care Refresh on the OA3 sent in for service, and the one they sent me to test had been activated by them.
Moral: on the one I have now I can't transfer the Care Refresh from the other one because it was activated by the service center in NL and DJI can't do it either, so i have to send this OA3 back too and they will replace it for me again, 4th OA3!

Haha fun

Btw your new and old OA3 do look almost identical on sharpness on your comparison
2022-11-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 11-17 11:25
Yes, I know that. But the point was, that using the same settings as Marco did, he got 110Mbits at 4K and I got at most 77. And wasn't sure why. Unless it has to do with lighting conditions - which I will test tomorrow during the day.

Are you sure yours is not more than 100? Can you post a screenshot where it says only 77 Mbits?
2022-11-17
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

johansenfoto Posted at 11-17 12:04
Are you sure yours is not more than 100? Can you post a screenshot where it says only 77 Mbits?

2022-11-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

This smell fishy, you using gopro now?

Lol but serious, only gopro would have that low bitrate

Edit: I checked some of my clips, only time I got 70 Mbit/s was when I was recording vertical.

And I see you record in full sensor readout (or something) so it could be why.

2022-11-17
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

johansenfoto Posted at 11-17 12:41
This smell fishy, you using gopro now?

Lol but serious, only gopro would have that low bitrate

I don't have a GP. You want the original footage?
2022-11-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 11-17 12:46
I don't have a GP. You want the original footage?

Noo I was joking because only gopro tend to have low bitrate.

I checked one of my clips shot in 4:3 Ultra Wide and it still had more than 100 Mbits
2022-11-17
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I found 2 footage that I shot in 2.7k. One of them is 90 the other is 100Mbits. Both are the same shots from the balcony but one of them is H265 (90Mbit) the other is 264 (100Mbit). I didn't think about the FOV. I will check that tomorrow.
2022-11-17
Use props
Luidoly
lvl.2
United States

osmonauta Posted at 11-17 12:57
I found 2 footage that I shot in 2.7k. One of them is 90 the other is 100Mbits. Both are the same shots from the balcony but one of them is H265 (90Mbit) the other is 264 (100Mbit). I didn't think about the FOV. I will check that tomorrow.

I recently found this reply from DJI on a video that was sent to them that had no focusing issues, like my camera.
The only take away from this is that is a software issue and not a hardware issue like some insist there is.
OK, my friend's thanks for your help I sent this Video to DJI and got back this reply...

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support!

We appreciate your time for sending us an email. We would love to help you with your inquiry.

In regards to this, we have checked your YouTube video and we can say that the Osmo Action camera is in good focus. We have checked that the focus issue reported by some customers is caused by a larger internal parameter that some cameras have. Hence, we optimized the proximity parsing effect in v01.01.05.40 firmware. We recommend that you timely update your firmware version and test it.

END OF MAIL
Thanks,
Luidoly
2022-11-17
Use props
SenNel
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

MarcoR Posted at 11-17 09:49
Yes, the movies I took are in 4K at 30 fps, 110 Mbps.
Any stabilization disabled, camera reset to default and made accel/gyro calibration.
I post this image comparing my first OA3 and this one, extracted from the two respective DNGs, always made at 40cm.

I have to say that aside from the exposure being darker on the right, I really don't see a dramatic difference.

In my own experiments, I found that the focus was considerably better the brighter the light, but it was still never as clear as it was with the diopter test. after following DJI's instructions, I was able to produce a bright outdoor shot that was fairly sharp, though the closest elements were still soft compared to far-away stuff.

In my use-case I literally am going to be using it for 1 purpose (driving hyper-lapse) for which almost everything is super far, so I didn't feel it was worth fighting DJI to send it back since the video I've been getting out of it looks as sharp as any other I've seen. Still, it does seem that the fundamental issue is the claim that 30cm is the minimum focus distance... Ironically enough, if they had just not said that I woudln't be annoyed by it.

The biggest pity is that the camara functions, battery life, and reliability are top-notch; my experience with those have been outstanding. If the close-focus wasn't soft, this would be the perfect action camera. Given the nightmares I've had with multiple GoPros failing on me multiple times while on vacation, I'd rather have all the things that the OA3 does well than a camera that just didn't work when I needed it to.
2022-11-17
Use props
Luidoly
lvl.2
United States

SenNel Posted at 11-17 13:27
I have to say that aside from the exposure being darker on the right, I really don't see a dramatic difference.

In my own experiments, I found that the focus was considerably better the brighter the light, but it was still never as clear as it was with the diopter test. after following DJI's instructions, I was able to produce a bright outdoor shot that was fairly sharp, though the closest elements were still soft compared to far-away stuff.

Amen,100%
Thanks
Luidoly
2022-11-17
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

SenNel Posted at 11-17 13:27
I have to say that aside from the exposure being darker on the right, I really don't see a dramatic difference.

Dear SenNel, I've been saying all along that this would be the perfect action cam if there wasn't that problem.
Or perhaps more of an oversight on DJI's part in wanting to exaggerate by declaring an unreal hyperfocal.
I too normally use it in FPV, which if you are 30 centimeters from something with the racer means you have crashed into a wall or a tree.
But I make it a matter of principle, if this is stated by DJi this should be respected.
They wanted to show off with GoPro by declaring an absurd value, and in fact they were hit by the avalanche.
But the crazy thing is that I will have to umpteen times send this OA3 back as well.
Could it be that the DJI technical department didn't know that if they activate that product then I can no longer do anything with it?
And that the related Care Refresh is also shown to be active on the OA3 that they held back?
2022-11-17
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
Bulgaria

I just re-ordered the adventure combo again … 25euros off...black friday deal
fingers crossed and really hope I get a working camera this time with no focus issues...
wish me luck
2022-11-18
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MarcoR Posted at 11-17 22:06
Dear SenNel, I've been saying all along that this would be the perfect action cam if there wasn't that problem.
Or perhaps more of an oversight on DJI's part in wanting to exaggerate by declaring an unreal hyperfocal.
I too normally use it in FPV, which if you are 30 centimeters from something with the racer means you have crashed into a wall or a tree.

Perhaps releasing in line with the GoPro wasn’t a great idea?
Good luck with that Kamen666! I hope you get a good 'un......

2022-11-18
Use props
Darklf
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Bonjour à tous (tous) Je vous laisse profiter de cette vidéo qui laisse de l'espoir...

https://youtu.be/B77Li3wBTzw
2022-11-18
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Darklf Posted at 11-18 04:52
Bonjour à tous (tous) Je vous laisse profiter de cette vidéo qui laisse de l'espoir...

I watched your video just before you posted it here (by search)

It is a big difference between OA3 and Go 2 on 30 cm.
2022-11-18
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Salut. Vos exemples d'action sont en fait meilleurs que ce que j'obtiens sur mon appareil photo.
2022-11-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Considerably better the Insta360, but even with a cheap chinese action cam the focus is better up close.
Even the stones know this by now.
2022-11-18
Use props
Darklf
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

MarcoR Posted at 11-18 05:41
Considerably better the Insta360, but even with a cheap chinese action cam the focus is better up close.
Even the stones know this by now.

en france , j'en suis déjà à 2 retours de caméra... j'attends maintenant avec impatience , une nouvelle série car je reste sur une excellente expérience pratique avec celle ci
Je suis avec gopro depuis la série 6
2022-11-18
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Darklf Posted at 11-18 05:47
en france , j'en suis déjà à 2 retours de caméra... j'attends maintenant avec impatience , une nouvelle série car je reste sur une excellente expérience pratique avec celle ci
Je suis avec gopro depuis la série 6

Thx for sharing your video test.

2022-11-18
Use props
SenNel
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

MarcoR Posted at 11-17 22:06
Or perhaps more of an oversight on DJI's part in wanting to exaggerate by declaring an unreal hyperfocal.

Have to say, your experience has been really rough. I can't believe they sent you a replacement camera that was already registered to them.... that's nuts.

I will also say, which may have not been clear from my answer, in all the videos I've seen with OA3, I don't think I've seen a single one that wasn't soft in the closer elements. There seemed to be some that were far worse, but a majority of them seem to work like mine, fairly sharp for far subjects in bright light, slightly soft on closer subjects, and very soft in darker conditions...

... Again, the OA3 came so close to being perfect, it hurts because they put a claim that just isn't true (30cm min focus distance).
2022-11-18
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Action 3 has a wider field of view, already this reduces the sharpness...
2022-11-18
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

JustName Posted at 11-18 14:54

Yep

So can you confirm that you “cannot guarantee” that the Osmo Action 3 will match the 30cm close focus of my Action 2.

Further are you prepared to refund the purchase price of any OA3 that cannot match the 30cm close focus of my Action 2 - even after the 14 return window?

DJI response has been they cannot guarantee that the OA3 can match the Action 2 close focus.  As well DJI is not prepared to refund the purchase price after the 14 day return window.  Based on this - will probably wait for the OA4 - or just continue using the Action 2.
2022-11-18
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

10-Bit Posted at 11-18 15:40
Yep

So can you confirm that you “cannot guarantee” that the Osmo Action 3 will match the 30cm close focus of my Action 2.

Kinda weird how you keep insisting that your Action 2 "can focus" at 30 cm or do this better than the average Osmo Action 3, and back this up by posting not particularly sharp images from your Action 2 and separate tests or comparisons of OA3 vs other cameras. My Action 2 certainly isn't as sharp at around 30 cm as it is around 1m.
2022-11-18
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

fish sticks Posted at 11-18 19:03
Kinda weird how you keep insisting that your Action 2 "can focus" at 30 cm or do this better than the average Osmo Action 3, and back this up by posting not particularly sharp images from your Action 2 and separate tests or comparisons of OA3 vs other cameras. My Action 2 certainly isn't as sharp at around 30 cm as it is around 1m.

Just take a look at page 1 of this thread to see the differences.  It is plenty sharp enough - whereas the OA3 is not.

The multitude of Youtube videos showing soft OA3 and returns due to this - says enough.  Nothing to dispute really and the thrust of this thread and many others.

Maybe you have a defective Action 2.  I am completely satisfied with the output of my Action 2 in 4Kp120 - especially DNGs.  At 12" or 30cms - this is plenty sharp enough for me for a tiny sensor and f/2.8 in crappy lighting.  Cropped in huge and super low resolution jpg to meet the tiny 1MB upload requirement - unedited SOOC.

Maybe you are unaware as you do not use DNGs.  That alone says a lot and speaks volumes.  We only use RAW for every camera.  Never JPGs.  As they are crap.

Some think 1080 is good and crisp with good resolution - but we used that 10 years ago.  1080 is also crap.  This is 2022.  Not 2012.  4K or more.  But to each their own.

Show us your videos and screenshots.  So we can critique.  What other cameras do you use?

FF4921B6-2EB3-4A71-91D2-685DC315FDBD.jpeg
2022-11-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

I believe that the OA3 has this insurmountable limit and there is no possibility of overcoming it from DJI.
For my normal FPV use I can only be fully satisfied.
But I remain curious as to what DJI will do with the OA3 in the future, i.e. whether they will bring to market production batches with a different lens system, or simply remove that unreal hyperfocal specification from their site.
For vloggers simply buy a +2 40mm lens like the one in the picture and attach it to the cam if they want more detailed close-up shots.
It is very easy to design a printable TPU adapter, simply remove the lens from the metal ring and attach it to that adapter, on the surface it will look like a commercial accessory.
I have seen someone do it with a spectacle lens, milling it, but it is madness and useless, there are already correctly sized lenses and they cost very little.
Cheaper and better quality alternative: a second action cam like GoPro HERO6 for close-up shots and stabilising vlogger footage with Gyroflow.
It would have been nice to be able to do this with just one cam, but apparently the OA3 has this insurmountable limitation.
For some it is irrelevant, for others it is not.
lens.jpg
2022-11-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

10-Bit Posted at 11-18 22:35
Just take a look at page 1 of this thread to see the differences.  It is plenty sharp enough - whereas the OA3 is not.

The multitude of Youtube videos showing soft OA3 and returns due to this - says enough.  Nothing to dispute really and the thrust of this thread and many others.

Show us your videos and screenshots.  So we can critique.  What other cameras do you use?

You do know that when you continue to ask others to post video and photos that you continually exclude yourself from doing this. You spend most of your time screen grabbing others work zooming it 200/400% to try making ridiculous comparisons. If your not prepared to post your own work don’t ask others to post.
But the real irony here is you don’t even own an Osmo action 3 yet spend all your time comparing it to A2 but post nothing. I own both and fish sticks above is correct .
2022-11-19
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

10-Bit Posted at 11-18 15:40
Yep

Pictures posted in your post was a comparison between OA3 and Insta360 Go 2. Different cams with different FOV. Why are you suddenly talking about OA2 here?

That being said. My current OA3 has even better focus at 30cm than my OA2.
2022-11-19
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

JustName Posted at 11-19 02:12
Pictures posted in your post was a comparison between OA3 and Insta360 Go 2. Different cams with different FOV. Why are you suddenly talking about OA2 here?

That being said. My current OA3 has even better focus at 30cm than my OA2.

I know.  

That being said - I posted my Action 2 DNG images as a comparable with a similar FOV.  If your OA3 is as sharp as that at 30cm - you should be happy.  
2022-11-19
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

MarcoR Posted at 11-18 23:32
I believe that the OA3 has this insurmountable limit and there is no possibility of overcoming it from DJI.
For my normal FPV use I can only be fully satisfied.
But I remain curious as to what DJI will do with the OA3 in the future, i.e. whether they will bring to market production batches with a different lens system, or simply remove that unreal hyperfocal specification from their site.

“ But I remain curious as to what DJI will do with the OA3 in the future”

Same

2022-11-19
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

JustName Posted at 11-18 14:54

Not exactly, wider FOV makes more of the scene in focus.
2022-11-19
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 11-19 04:15
Not exactly, wider FOV makes more of the scene in focus.

Wider FOV and same resolution => less pixels for the same area and more distortion.
2022-11-19
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

If you want to do some analysis I'll post two videos, one taken with OA3 in 4:3 30fps Wide and RS active, the other with GoPro HERO6 in 4:3 30fps stabilised with Gyroflow, so the output is a crop of 4:3 and becomes 16:9.
This is to emphasise that both action cams underwent digital cropping from the original format to achieve stabilisation, one doing it internally, the other externally with software.
It is correct to test with movies, both action cams are not meant for taking photos.
There is no comparison, I stand by my opinion, but not because I'm fixated, because I have eyes to see.
The picture shows the setting of both action cams.

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... jOqR?usp=share_link

double_ac_support.jpg
2022-11-19
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Still not got that life I see
2022-11-19
Use props