Focus issue: test shots with the latest firmware v01.01.05.40
46589 1324 2022-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

ZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzz...............
2022-11-19
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

JustName Posted at 11-19 04:55
Wider FOV and same resolution => less pixels for the same area and more distortion.

True but this topic is about focus
2022-11-19
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-19 06:00
Still not got that life I see

You doesn't need to read this topic, grumpy old man
2022-11-19
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

MarcoR Posted at 11-19 05:34
If you want to do some analysis I'll post two videos, one taken with OA3 in 4:3 30fps Wide and RS active, the other with GoPro HERO6 in 4:3 30fps stabilised with Gyroflow, so the output is a crop of 4:3 and becomes 16:9.
This is to emphasise that both action cams underwent digital cropping from the original format to achieve stabilisation, one doing it internally, the other externally with software.
It is correct to test with movies, both action cams are not meant for taking photos.

I would be pleased with your unit now, like I have said before
It do look sharp enough
2022-11-19
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

OA-5  are Ulanzi going to make a focus lens for you? oh machro lens
2022-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you want to do some analysis I'll post two videos, one taken with OA3 in 4:3 30fps Wide and RS active, the other with GoPro HERO6 in 4:3 30fps stabilised with Gyroflow, so the output is a crop of 4:3 and becomes 16:9.
This is to emphasise that both action cams underwent digital cropping from the original format to achieve stabilisation, one doing it internally, the other externally with software.
It is correct to test with movies, both action cams are not meant for taking photos.

The only thing can be said about those two videos is that the A3 is by far a much better overall camera and unlike the GP6 it doesn’t require third party software to be acceptable to view. You did really try to show the lack of 100% close up focus but you only succeeded in showing that this is not something anyone would buy this camera for, the focus close up was 90% bang on until you pushed it beyond its limits.
2022-11-19
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

"It is correct to test with movies, both action cams are not meant for taking photos."

This is complete nonsense. These cameras are just as capable of taking photos, and if the camera can't take a well-resolved, sharp and focused photo, then it won't be able to take videos either. Especially in low-light conditions (like your videos are), motion blur is also visible in videos.
2022-11-19
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 11-19 06:31
True but this topic is about focus

Sure :-) But with the same good focused cam you will get less sharpness with a wide angle lens, then with a less wide angle lens.
So you can not compare two different angle lenses a talk about different focus.
2022-11-19
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

JustName Posted at 11-19 07:47
"It is correct to test with movies, both action cams are not meant for taking photos."

This is complete nonsense. These cameras are just as capable of taking photos, and if the camera can't take a well-resolved, sharp and focused photo, then it won't be able to take videos either. Especially in low-light conditions (like your videos are), motion blur is also visible in videos.

Sure, but usually action cams are born to produce videos, it is obvious that the details will always be constrained by the lens and the sensor, so if you have focus problems in videos you will also have them in photos.
Here I was at a distance of about one metre from the details in the attached image, are definitely beyond the reach of a vlogger holding the camera with a stick.
At the bottom right, that group of leaves, in OA3 they look like a painted clump.
I always read your comments carefully, but I stand by my opinion also because we only have to look.
You have the original footage, you can see for yourself.
If this is rubbish to you, it is not to me.
Everyone clearly has their own yardsticks and I respect them, but this does not suit me.

Full frame

Full frame
2022-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JustName Posted at 11-19 07:47

It has a sensor the same size as most phones, but the sensor has to cover a very wide angle. Using your phone in lowlight you will not get great results you will get a very heavily processed image that will break up if you decide to print in any reasonable size. Nothing more should be expected particularly since this device costs less than a third of most new 12mp phones. But having said that it has very little problem taking photos in bad or low light and comparing focus with iphone 13 in low light it stands up fine .

These photos are taken in very low light handheld and loss from compression being reduced to less than 10% of their file size will be fine for most social media, but anything else in this type of light will show much noise and very dark shadows

2022-11-19
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

MarcoR Posted at 11-19 08:13
Sure, but usually action cams are born to produce videos, it is obvious that the details will always be constrained by the lens and the sensor, so if you have focus problems in videos you will also have them in photos.
Here I was at a distance of about one metre from the details in the attached image, are definitely beyond the reach of a vlogger holding the camera with a stick.
At the bottom right, that group of leaves, in OA3 they look like a painted clump.

Yes it looks really blurry at the edges.  But, to a certain extent, it's normal with wide-angle lenses.  
Your cam looks also to be a little bit decentered.

My examples.. what do you think?

Vid1

Vid 2

Vid 3

2022-11-19
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

JustName Posted at 11-19 09:51
Yes it looks really blurry at the edges.  But, to a certain extent, it's normal with wide-angle lenses.  
Your cam looks also to be a little bit decentered.

See that the details I posted are almost in the middle of the screen.
Your videos are good, but otherwise for that kind of use it is fine, nothing to say.
2022-11-19
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

JustName Posted at 11-19 07:50
Sure :-) But with the same good focused cam you will get less sharpness with a wide angle lens, then with a less wide angle lens.
So you can not compare two different angle lenses a talk about different focus.

Again I think you are misunderstanding here, or thinking that sharpness and focus are the same thing.
So I just want to explain a little here:
Focus is the same regardless of focal length, whether it is in focus or not.
But sharpness will be different at different focal lengths, IF the number of pixels is the same. But in order to see the difference in sharpness, a magnifier must be used to be able to see the pixels and the difference.

Could write more about this, but thought I'd explain it simply
2022-11-19
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

MarcoR Posted at 11-19 10:09
See that the details I posted are almost in the middle of the screen.
Your videos are good, but otherwise for that kind of use it is fine, nothing to say.

You have again bad light conditions in your videos and therefore much of blurriness caused by electronically stabilisation. It there no sun in the beautiful Italy? :-)

Regarding my Videos, no this is not the typical kind of use, just testing :-)   My typical kind of use is like this..

All of them has been shoot with DJI Action 2
2022-11-19
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 11-19 11:13
Again I think you are misunderstanding here, or thinking that sharpness and focus are the same thing.
So I just want to explain a little here:
Focus is the same regardless of focal length, whether it is in focus or not.

No, no :-) I know the difference between the sharpness and focus. There is no sharpness without focus... BUT with focus and with different FOV on the same resolution (number of pixels), you will receive different kind of sharpness.  
Therefore it is useless to compare a wide angle cam like OA3 with a less wide angle cam like insta360 and to discuss about the focus and sharpness on details.
2022-11-19
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

JustName Posted at 11-19 11:45
No, no :-) I know the difference between the sharpness and focus. There is no sharpness without focus... BUT with focus and with different FOV on the same resolution (number of pixels), you will receive different kind of sharpness.  
Therefore it is useless to compare a wide angle cam like OA3 with a less wide angle cam like insta360 and to discuss about the focus and sharpness on details.

But Go2 is only 1440p compared to 4K, so it should have less sharpness but it doesn't
2022-11-19
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

johansenfoto Posted at 11-19 12:42
But Go2 is only 1440p compared to 4K, so it should have less sharpness but it doesn't

The 1-inch mod for the 1r is 5.4k and it is less sharp than the go 2 and the Action 2/3 at 30cm. Is it defective?

*I am just trying to explain how your argument isn't valid. Haven't compared the cameras in question.
2022-11-19
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

fish sticks Posted at 11-19 14:35
The 1-inch mod for the 1r is 5.4k and it is less sharp than the go 2 and the Action 2/3 at 30cm. Is it defective?

*I am just trying to explain how your argument isn't valid. Haven't compared the cameras in question.

ONE R 1" doesn't have close focus set up for 30cm, so it will be ofcourse out of focus.

Well I give up, just trying to explain some physics here
2022-11-19
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

johansenfoto Posted at 11-19 14:55
ONE R 1" doesn't have close focus set up for 30cm, so it will be ofcourse out of focus.

Well I give up, just trying to explain some physics here

The DJI's cameras do not have "close focus set up for 30cm" either. They are focused in the distance/infinity and the minimum focus distance claimed is the distance at which objects become "sharp enough", which for some is "not sharp enough".

The difference between focused and less (or not at all) focused is larger the larger the sensor size (all other things being equal). Hence the Action 2/3 fall short in terms of detail when compared to cameras with smaller sensors and shooting close up.

2022-11-19
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
United States

---------- win.jpg
----------
2022-11-19
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

fish sticks Posted at 11-19 15:09
The DJI's cameras do not have "close focus set up for 30cm" either. They are focused in the distance/infinity and the minimum focus distance claimed is the distance at which objects become "sharp enough", which for some is "not sharp enough".

The difference between focused and less (or not at all) focused is larger the larger the sensor size (all other things being equal). Hence the Action 2/3 fall short in terms of detail when compared to cameras with smaller sensors and shooting close up.

So say this to DJI, which still has a focus range from 0.3m in the OA3 specifications, and not to mention the introduction, so this thread does not exist here and nothing is compared to anything, and terabytes of comparison videos are saved and I'm not even talking about how dji would have retired support, UPS and our nerves from lost time.....
2022-11-20
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Should they change the specs and take the 30cm close focus away from its description  means that previous models have been ‘mis-sold’ and should be returned.

The other problem though is that it’s a ‘fuzzy’ area (if you’ll pardon the expression) because what Osmo deem as ‘good enough’ obviously isn’t ‘good enough’ for some people. It becomes more subjective because in reality, it's not focused at 30 cms and it's a matter of whether you can accept it. (Probably the basis of most argument on this thread too)

2022-11-20
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Controversy about sharpness should be left to an erudite ophthalmologist, and that is where the producers and engineers from DJI should go as soon as possible and repair their reputation.
I recommend renaming this camera to drone action 3, changing the specification to 5m to infinity.
2022-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

StevoB Posted at 11-20 01:43
Controversy about sharpness should be left to an erudite ophthalmologist, and that is where the producers and engineers from DJI should go as soon as possible and repair their reputation.
I recommend renaming this camera to drone action 3, changing the specification to 5m to infinity.

All dji drones focus 1m to infinity and this A3 will also focus 1m to infinity but for those who bought it for Macro “well that is a problem”
2022-11-20
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

hallmark007 Posted at 11-20 03:08
All dji drones focus 1m to infinity and this A3 will also focus 1m to infinity but for those who bought it for Macro “well that is a problem”

That's why I switched to the competition and there the macro handles it

2022-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

StevoB Posted at 11-20 03:27
That's why I switched to the competition and there the macro handles it

[view_image]

Do they not have a forum ;+)
2022-11-20
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Sunday is around again, no place to go  sounds like  you need to go to the bright side
2022-11-20
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

hallmark007 Posted at 11-20 03:54
Do they not have a forum ;+)

He also has a gopro forum. I had no reason to visit him yet. But I see that you are here at home and more and more you resemble a DJI salesman with one more senior (he is not a fisherman). So good luck.
2022-11-20
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

if you like to visit the forums we offer no 2-points or 5 points to get  rewards.

feel free to drop over  at Verticalscope any time, you are quite a few if you are  a  fisherman
2022-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

StevoB Posted at 11-20 05:51
He also has a gopro forum. I had no reason to visit him yet. But I see that you are here at home and more and more you resemble a DJI salesman with one more senior (he is not a fisherman). So good luck.

I always knew you weren’t here for anything to do with the A3. Enjoy your go pro it will make a great macro camera not sure how good it is as an action camera but needs must
2022-11-20
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
Bulgaria

So I just got the second adventure combo today, again september 2022 but with different serial starting with 5S4DK8V00
I think it has a "great" focis...looking on my super blurry face

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... CZwH?usp=share_link

it's hard for me to recognize myself
2022-11-20
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Kamen666 Posted at 11-20 23:41
So I just got the second adventure combo today, again september 2022 but with different serial starting with 5S4DK8V00
I think it has a "great" focis...looking on my super blurry face  

Here we say: From under the rain under the gutter
2022-11-20
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

StevoB Posted at 11-20 23:55

i think it's "close" to the perfect shot ....  
2022-11-21
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

StevoB Posted at 11-20 23:55

Here instead: from the frying pan to the grill...
2022-11-21
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

Has anyone touched a camera manifactured in october 2022 ?
2022-11-21
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Kamen666 Posted at 11-20 23:41
I think it has a "great" focis...looking on my super blurry face  

Try it again with a better light condition and lower ISO.
2022-11-21
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

JustName Posted at 11-21 01:32
Try it again with a better light condition and lower ISO.

my face is against the sun,in a very well-lit room, the timer is on two seconds
Daylight... did you see something in focus ?
1.jpg
2022-11-21
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

this topic is  gonna overheat soon and when it does it will shut down
2022-11-21
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

Fishycomics Posted at 11-21 04:45
this topic is  gonna overheat soon and when it does it will shut down

very helpful post....
2022-11-21
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kamen666 Posted at 11-21 01:42
my face is against the sun,in a very well-lit room, the timer is on two seconds
Daylight... did you see something in focus ?

Looking at this is pretty typical of what I’m getting from mine. Possibly, mine is a little bit worse but I have also noticed that not only close objects look indistinct, but detailed background like leaves in trees  also look a bit lacking.

It gives the impression that the lens isn’t  focused in any plane, particularly well. Maybe just a cheaper lens and that’s all that can be got from it. Great pity.

'Out of the frying pan into the fire'.......

2022-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules