Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

10-Bit Posted at 10-17 10:17
Email.  However they what.  You have an amazing imagination.  Get off the keyboard and do something of value.  Buffoon certified.  Haha!

Pig ignorant fool. You don’t even own one but spend all your time here being a Karen
2022-10-17
Use props
SenNel
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

So I did a test with an 8x10 piece of paper at the 40cm focus range. The only comparable thing I had was my iphone12 pro max which also has a 12mp sensor. When zooming in to just the paper with the test pattern, it's clear that the iphone is beating it, but it seemed to be partly a contrast issue, so I did a quick edit of the Osmo action one and got this verision:

I have to say, the OA3 doesn't seem to be doing great in terms of clarity, but I can't tell if it is a defect or whether it is just not as good as the iphone, it really isn't THAT dramatic considering it is 12mp. Edit: to be clear top pic is iPhone, second pic is OA3, third pic is OA3 edited with more contrast, all of them zoomed in to the test page at the minimum focus range. In the normal view of the picture, it is hard to tell any significant focus issue though the iphone does look sharper. In other uses, the OA3 seems perfectly fine in terms of what I was expecting, if there is an issue, it seems limited to close focus.
2022-10-17
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

Got mine this evening...

Normally I would have been verry glad about this, because I also wanted to ike this camera. But now I was sceptical and not that happy in advance...

I immediately did some tests. Printed oud a test chart and placed it at 40cm. Light isn't that great now because it's night here in Europe now. But the results so far does not make me more happy yet, even more sceptical...

Did some tests with the initial firmware as it came, I don't want to be fooled with new firmware with digital sharpening. But as I said, light is not optimal. So maybe not a fair rcomparisson now. I should do some aditional tests tomorrow durring daytime.
2022-10-17
Use props
fansb0cc71ce
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9754 ft
Canada

I received mine today, did some videos and photos, the results were very bad even with the new firmware.

Decided to return it.

I will buy it after DJI solves this issue.
2022-10-17
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-17
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

Btw...I don't understand why they didn't put the SD-card slot behind the USB lid. Think this would have been a much better place there. Especially because this lid is replaceable.
2022-10-17
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 10-17 12:09
Pig ignorant fool. You don’t even own one but spend all your time here being a Karen

Haha!  I “did” you buffoon!  Look at all the returns and focus issues posted thread after thread.  
2022-10-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

10-Bit Posted at 10-17 13:49
Haha!  I “did” you buffoon!  Look at all the returns and focus issues posted thread after thread.

I can see them there must be 10/12 people complaining, but no one complaining more than you Karen
2022-10-17
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

This was my first testshot now. But I stopped with it because ligtning is bad. And it will be no fair comparisson like this.
It was just with a desk light straight above it. Everything looks grainy already due to the low light condition.
This was at 40cm btw

I should make a better test setup tomorrow during daylight and outside.
2022-10-17
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 10-17 14:00
I can see them there must be 10/12 people complaining, but no one complaining more than you Karen

You are such a Buffoon.  I have no complaint with the device since I no longer own one.  But I do want DJI fix the problem.  Because I may want one in the future.  Your responses demonstrate you are fanboi.  Only giving support to DJI not correcting the problem.
2022-10-17
Use props
SenNel
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

osmonauta Posted at 10-17 13:44
No offense but these are one of the worst photos I've seen. How did you take them, on a tripod or handheld? I have an iPhone 7 which also has a 12MP camera and it's 5 generations behind the iPhone 12. The image is RAZOR SHARP. Are you sure you didn't use a 1972 polaroid?

iPhone 7 from 30cm using a tripod.

Yes, they are all awful because I'm zooming in on a very large picture to capture just an 8x10 piece of paper and be apples to apples.

The reason your pic is looking a million times better is because it is the whole image and I'm assuming the iPhone 7 doesn't have a wide-angle.

I wasn't expecting these crops to be good pictures, I'm just showing what the differences between two 12mp shots are zoomed in for detail (which arguably both suck)
2022-10-17
Use props
SadFan
lvl.1
United States

Why are some of you DJI fanboys so defensive?

We literally bought the product because we WANTED to like the product. No one spends money randomly, thinking how fun it would be to get a bad product.

DJI has a serious, widespread issue, and they need to resolve it. They even took it off of Amazon. I've never seen a product that was just released get taken off of Amazon. This just solidifies the case that this is not an issue that can be fixed with firmware. Stop pretending like this is a 1/1000 issue.
I really like the responsiveness of the UI and also the battery life. I'm hoping this focusing issue gets resolved quickly, because I could see the OA3 becoming my daily action camera. But having an action camera that can't even keep anything in focus is just silly.
2022-10-17
Use props
SenNel
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

osmonauta Posted at 10-17 13:44
No offense but these are one of the worst photos I've seen. How did you take them, on a tripod or handheld? I have an iPhone 7 which also has a 12MP camera and it's 5 generations behind the iPhone 12. The image is RAZOR SHARP. Are you sure you didn't use a 1972 polaroid?

iPhone 7 from 30cm using a tripod.

Here's an example using Rockle's pic above. When you zoom in on the image which looks crisp, it looks horrible, but that is because we are zoomijng way in on a 12mp picture:

2022-10-17
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-17
Use props
SenNel
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

osmonauta Posted at 10-17 15:01
Well, yes, but why would you zoom in on an image? If you make a test shot, say, from 30cm, then just use the full size image that you get from 30cm. I know you can't upload the full image to this forum because it will be cropped and the file size bigger than allowed, but that's why many people (or some) just post a thumbnail version here and provides a separate link to, say, GDrive, OneDrive, DropBox (whatever is your fav) and ppl can download the full size and look at it. Because this way I don't know what I'm looking at. Zoomed in? By how much? 2-300%? Every image will start to look blurry if you start zooming in beyond 100%.

No no, I get it, the reason I zoomed in was to see if there was any discernable difference between the images, when you zoom out they both look reaonably sharp, though the iphone looks every so slightly better. That's the point.

I'm trying to reproduce some of the complaints and I'm not quite seeing it.

Edit: Amazon did not, in fact, pull the OA3, the guy who posted was wrong.
2022-10-17
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-17
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

SenNel Posted at 10-17 14:48
Here's an example using Rockle's pic above. When you zoom in on the image which looks crisp, it looks horrible, but that is because we are zoomijng way in on a 12mp picture:

[view_image]

Well this was actually an unformated snapshot I took from a 4K/60fps recording. However the camera was on a stand and untouched while recording.

I know the fotocamera is shooting only 12MP pictures, so I was trying out making a snapshot from the actual video footage, because this will be the thing were're mainly doing with this camera.

But I gues it won't matter much in case of the focus. because light is traveling in the same way through the lens to the sensor. So video recording or taking pictures should result in the same.

I've tried zooming in with photoshop too, but this made the picture verry bad verry quickly. And it was already not such a good recording because of the light conitions. The surroundings actually look quite grainy already. So this should also affect the test chart and therefore giving worst results.

So I should do some new and propper tests during daytime.

Maybe I should also mount it on my bicycle and take a small ride. The only other action cam I have is a $60 SJcam M10+ from 2016. I could mount this in a similar way on my bike to get the same exact recordings. Although I'm not sure if this M10+ will give a good enough refference point haha

Well, If the M10+ even delivers sharper images then the OA3, then it's really bad. And it should be verry obvious that I need to send it back straight away hahaha

I actually eally try to like this camera, the buid quality feels amazing. But that's not what is most important of it...
2022-10-17
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

aliveathome Posted at 10-17 11:01
Me too, I had the Adventure Combo 2022/09 and we compared our test pattern results in one of the other threads, both out of focus. Yes, unfortunately "had". Really liked everything else about it but its on its way back to the dealer.

Thanks for your feedback!
Then production date is of little use, apparently the problem is quite extensive, and at this point I think it is in a lot of OA3.
Maybe some say it's okay because they don't notice it, but I am stunned when I compare a GoPro HERO 6 (2017), which always has a 12 Mpixel sensor, and the focus is practically perfect even at 40 cm.
What I context with DJI is therefore having stated in the specifications that therefore 40 cm is in the hyperfocal distance for focusing, but this is not the case.
Many say that with 12 Mpixel we can not work miracles, and I reply that given the comparison then GoPro HERO 6 does them!
Mine is on its way back to the retailer too, and I'll get a GoPro 11 or I am waiting for production batches with the problem fixed.
2022-10-17
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

SenNel Posted at 10-17 14:48

[view_image]

Correct, from a 12 Mpixel we can not expect too much, but have you tried to enlarge/zoom/crop the images of the GoPro HERO 6 that are in my first post?
I inserted the link to the originals, you can do it too, but did I always put the two crops ready in the first post.
Don't you notice any difference?
I think even a blind man would notice it.
And it is always a 12 Mpixel, on an action cam from 5 years ago.
Then?
I put two photos again, you don't notice any difference when zooming in?
Even a perfect ignoramus might say "the first is definitely the GoPro HERO 6, the second the new DJI OA3!".
And he would be wrong because it is the opposite!
a.jpg
b.jpg
2022-10-17
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

MarcoR Posted at 10-17 21:44
Correct, from a 12 Mpixel we can not expect too much, but have you tried to enlarge/zoom/crop the images of the GoPro HERO 6 that are in my first post?
I inserted the link to the originals, you can do it too, but did I always put the two crops ready in the first post.
Don't you notice any difference?

Hey, the crops in your first post do not represent the difference in clarity in both camera because they are scaled by a different amount. The sheet of paper does have a smaller pixel footprint because of the dewarp. Below are crops that use the same amount of scaling from the originals you posted:
gopro:
oa3:
2022-10-17
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

fish sticks Posted at 10-17 22:07
Hey, the crops in your first post do not represent the difference in clarity in both camera because they are scaled by a different amount. The sheet of paper does have a smaller pixel footprint because of the dewarp. Below are crops that use the same amount of scaling from the originals you posted:
gopro:[view_image]
oa3:[view_image]

Right, and is there no difference?
2022-10-17
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

MarcoR Posted at 10-17 22:11

There is a difference in the images, but it caused by warping/transforming the image and then scaling it back up. It is not a fair comparison of focus, or lens properties.
2022-10-17
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Most youtubers have bought this action camera for making videos, not photos.
As long as we are record panoramas no problem, but when we start using it with the stick this will be the result.
And is it acceptable if with a GoPro HERO 6, which is used for $100/150, maybe they would be better?
I expect a lot more from a not too cheap action camera released a month ago.
Since the sensor is always 12 Mpixel I expect a decent lens group, not this crap.
I don't give a damn if the videos come out stabilized and maybe at 120 fps if the focus isn't there!

2022-10-17
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

MarcoR Posted at 10-17 22:20
Most youtubers have bought this action camera for making videos, not photos.
As long as we are record panoramas no problem, but when we start using it with the stick this will be the result.
And is it acceptable if with a GoPro HERO 6, which is used for $100/150, maybe they would be better?

I am not saying that the image quality of the OA3 is great and you should be happy with it. Just pointing out that the first comparison in the thread is not accurate and exaggerates the difference in clarity between the cameras.

I have the A2, and consider the lack of detail to be the weakest point of the camera. I am happy to see that people are noticing this with the OA3, and hope that it will move DJI to make improvements.
2022-10-17
Use props
djiuser_mRT3IobkwCrF
lvl.2

Germany

Did a first video in finally good weather, and the result looks quite good I must admit, not sure if that could be any better here (out of cam 4K frame grab):

2022-10-17
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

fish sticks Posted at 10-17 22:37
I am not saying that the image quality of the OA3 is great and you should be happy with it. Just pointing out that the first comparison in the thread is not accurate and exaggerates the difference in clarity between the cameras.

I have the A2, and consider the lack of detail to be the weakest point of the camera. I am happy to see that people are noticing this with the OA3, and hope that it will move DJI to make improvements.

Bravo, that's the problem.
At the moment DJI has not admitted the existence of that focus issue and in my opinion it will never do it even under torture.
I think he considers the result within the parameters they expect.
Well, these parameters are not good for me, if they are good for others I'm happy for them.
If Osmo Action 2 or even 1 behave better in that focus situation (like the GoPro HERO 6, not 11) I think we should reflect and ask ourselves some questions.
For example "did I buy a better action camera than the previous one or did I get a solemn rip-off?".
"Maybe DJI saved a lot on lens quality in the new OA3 to try (failing) to make it competitive with GoPro 11?".
I struggle to give myself answers to these questions, but I got an idea, maybe wrong but based on evidence.
Then everyone has their own yardstick and I respect it.
2022-10-17
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

djiuser_mRT3IobkwCrF Posted at 10-17 23:39
Did a first video in finally good weather, and the result looks quite good I must admit, not sure if that could be any better here (out of cam 4K frame grab):

[view_image]

Considering it's a frame of a 4K movie it looks very good to me.
A little pumped up as sharpness but not bad, the focus looks good.
Would you trade your OA3 for mine?
2022-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MarcoR Posted at 10-17 22:11

I think all he is saying is your test purposely sucks and many are beginning to take all your ridiculous posts with a big pinch of salt. All your succeeding in doing is creating a complete farcical jaundiced view that is completely foreign to almost all readers. You’re a joke and so are your tests and that’s been proven on all threads you’ve posted.
2022-10-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 10-18 00:55
I think all he is saying is your test purposely sucks and many are beginning to take all your ridiculous posts with a big pinch of salt. All your succeeding in doing is creating a complete farcical jaundiced view that is completely foreign to almost all readers. You’re a joke and so are your tests and that’s been proven on all threads you’ve posted.

... and then the genius came and commented...
In all honesty I respect the opinions of others but those of the trolls leave me intrigued, I think they are all misunderstood geniuses.
But it's fine to comment on brilliant things too, so my post stays at the top of the forum.
So go ahead, geniuses!
2022-10-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

SadFan Posted at 10-17 14:44

We literally bought the product because we WANTED to like the product. No one spends money randomly, thinking how fun it would be to get a bad product.

It is absolutely understandable imho, for many different reasons.
Many of them have a myriad of DJI products, maybe some of them are official beta testers, DJI send them the products for free to test.
Maybe some of them have bought DJI stock shares.
In short, it is normal that there are fans regardless.
But they just comment, they don't post comparative tests, so..........
2022-10-18
Use props
djiuser_mRT3IobkwCrF
lvl.2

Germany

This is mine, from ISO100 from tripod and RAW developed in Silkypix 10 ( 100% Crop, wide view, first one default settings and  2nd one with sharpness + contrast added).
Distance to screen 40cm measured using ruler.

2022-10-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

djiuser_mRT3IobkwCrF Posted at 10-18 03:45
This is mine, from ISO100 from tripod and RAW developed in Silkypix 10 ( 100% Crop, wide view, first one default settings and  2nd one with sharpness + contrast added).
Distance to screen 40cm measured using ruler.

It doesn't look bad to me, not the top but better than mine.
Thanks for your feedback!
2022-10-18
Use props
djiuser_mRT3IobkwCrF
lvl.2

Germany

And this is for comparison the Pixel 7 wide view camera shot of the same (not a fair comparison since it is stacking several images)

2022-10-18
Use props
SenNel
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_mRT3IobkwCrF Posted at 10-17 23:39

[view_image]

I need to try to replicate this in the sun. I just took some pics indoors by the window and while not as sharp as this, it wasn't dramatically different. I'll try this afternoon when the sun is higher and see what I can get.
2022-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

SadFan Posted at 10-17 14:44

We literally bought the product because we WANTED to like the product. No one spends money randomly, thinking how fun it would be to get a bad product.

it’s probably because many come here and spew rubbish and can’t seem to share problems without the need to enhance what it is they are trying to say. So what if someone is a fan of DJI products or better still has a certain understanding of how new releases come across the same thing constantly. If you have a problem “state it” get support , but don’t go out of your way to try creating hysteria . Good news is Amazon.com is selling action like hot cakes ;+)

2022-10-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

In fact I have Amazon actions and I bought the OA3 from another official DJI dealer... will I be stupid? Yes!
Simply Amazon at that time in Italy did not have it available, like now.
2022-10-18
Use props
SenNel
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

So the videos with the guys who have used glasses to test close-focusing got me thinking and I tried to replicate it. Lo and behold, glasses do improve close focusing INSANELY. Compare these two cropped pictures. Now, I'm not sure that putting glasses on a fixed focus lens is a "fair" test, but it does answer a very clear question: the fuzziness is NOT the limitations of the sensor. As you can see in these examples below, it's clear that the sensor IS capable of capturing a LOT more detail. Also for the record: the original images are not dramatically different in terms of AoV, so it isn't like the glasses are "zooming in" or anything.

Top picture is the non-glasses, bottom with glasses:

Spoke with a DJI customer rep just now who had me collect a bunch of info and examples and submitted it. She said she would contact me in 1-2 business days to let me know if I should send the camera in.
2022-10-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

SenNel Posted at 10-18 07:02
So the videos with the guys who have used glasses to test close-focusing got me thinking and I tried to replicate it. Lo and behold, glasses do improve close focusing INSANELY. Compare these two cropped pictures. Now, I'm not sure that putting glasses on a fixed focus lens is a "fair" test, but it does answer a very clear question: the fuzziness is NOT the limitations of the sensor. As you can see in these examples below, it's clear that the sensor IS capable of capturing a LOT more detail. Also for the record: the original images are not dramatically different in terms of AoV, so it isn't like the glasses are "zooming in" or anything.

Top picture is the non-glasses, bottom with glasses:

And there are still some who keep insinuating that we're only here to be grumbles, they should be silent.
That the sensor had no problems was already clear to everyone.
I repeat it to the boredom that is a lens problem, poor quality, poorly assembled.
Nice test, thanks!
2022-10-18
Use props
WiscoPaddler
lvl.4
United States

Has anyone submitted their camera in for repair?  I have opened a case myself but wondering if there's any benefit to sending it in for repair at this point.  I was hesitant to use my DJI Care Refresh because I would just receive another unit that is likely suffering from the same issue.

Thoughts on sending it in for repair noting that the focus is off?
2022-10-18
Use props
SenNel
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

WiscoPaddler Posted at 10-18 07:59
Has anyone submitted their camera in for repair?  I have opened a case myself but wondering if there's any benefit to sending it in for repair at this point.  I was hesitant to use my DJI Care Refresh because I would just receive another unit that is likely suffering from the same issue.

Thoughts on sending it in for repair noting that the focus is off?

It would be pretty ...ty for them to use one of your refresh replacements for something that is inherintly wrong with the camera. That should be on them, not you.
2022-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules