Focus issue: test shots with the latest firmware v01.01.05.40
46600 1324 2022-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

It does say 12.7mm in the PDF manual, too. But not on the website's specs.
2022-11-28
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 11-28 12:01
Clearly, whoever wrote that article on cameradecision.com was a bot.

CONS:

Haha standard for dslr sites
2022-11-28
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

anda human made that bot
2022-11-29
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I throw the following video in here

2022-11-29
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
Bulgaria

johansenfoto Posted at 11-28 10:29
I got the same answer in my case, they are just high in NL it seems like

Here is my post about it:

Copy / Paste to everybody...its easier
2022-11-29
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

JustName Posted at 11-29 16:06

I will proceed in this direction as well, but I still think the best way is to put it in webcam mode to find the right closed focus at about 50 cm, the correct distance in my opinion for someone using it as a vlogger, 35 cm is really unnecessary.
DJi claims 30cm minimum but even at 40 it is not properly in focus, in normal use below 40/50 you never go there, so better to be more conservative to avoid blurring in distant subjects if you set well in focus at 30cm.
I will maybe make a video.
How much does the part that su pick up with tweezers tick by when it is about in right focus?
The idea is to design and print in TPU a ring nut that can then be left inside so that calibration can be done without the tweezers.
2022-11-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

MarcoR Posted at 11-29 23:26
I will proceed in this direction as well, but I still think the best way is to put it in webcam mode to find the right closed focus at about 50 cm, the correct distance in my opinion for someone using it as a vlogger, 35 cm is really unnecessary.
DJi claims 30cm minimum but even at 40 it is not properly in focus, in normal use below 40/50 you never go there, so better to be more conservative to avoid blurring in distant subjects if you set well in focus at 30cm.
I will maybe make a video.

Focus it at 60 cm should give desent focus at 30cm and all the way to infinity if you check my bigger post further up here
2022-11-30
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Kamen666 Posted at 11-29 22:58
Copy / Paste to everybody...its easier

Haha that's true
2022-11-30
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW3vU78CfAI

Nicely done with this video.
How easy was it to loosen up the glue?
2022-11-30
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 11-30 05:02
Nicely done with this video.
How easy was it to loosen up the glue?

It was very easy.
2022-11-30
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 11-30 05:01
Focus it at 60 cm should give desent focus at 30cm and all the way to infinity if you check my bigger post further up here

If you set the focus at 60cm, so regarding my tests you will get also blurry image at the bigger distance.
2022-11-30
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

JustName Posted at 11-30 05:43
If you set the focus at 60cm, so regarding my tests you will get also blurry image at the bigger distance.

Yes that is possible, but if you check my bigger post in this thread it should not be.

But only thing is to test it out like you did.
2022-11-30
Use props
Ilya187
lvl.2

Russia

I printed out a test sheet to determine the focus. Considering that the lighting in the room is not the best, in my opinion the focus looks good. (date 9/2022 standart combo)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12R52sGYHHQedCw9YqAn8J5h7FMUcp1F9/view?usp=share_link  (wide angle 4k/60fps / stabilization off / distance 30cm)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14x1cTzAPeL-BkUaWgpd0HyD4cqoTazd5/view?usp=share_link  (standard angle 4k/60fps / stabilization off / distance 30cm)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f_soFmbKgK14NTW197eSksMy-Uyd0ncD/view?usp=share_link

Another position

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U28HuswbaWoZ0-t0komRWkBXx7PsHcwA/view?usp=share_link (Standart angle 4k/30fps / stabilization off / distance 30cm)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kVuGr-jjmBIYvzurHk-sbUv2JXbxXbLb/view?usp=share_link (wide angle 4k/30fps / stabilization off / distance 30cm)

what you think?

2022-12-1
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Ilya187 Posted at 12-1 22:06
I printed out a test sheet to determine the focus. Considering that the lighting in the room is not the best, in my opinion the focus looks good. (date 9/2022 standart combo)

[view_image]

Wow, those are really good - you lucky bastard! But did you use a letter or tabloid size paper? That printout seems to be bigger. I have printed a smaller version which is letter size (8.5" x 11"). Can you share a link to the chart you used? Thanks.
2022-12-1
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

[view_image]

Imho it is not good but very good!
You still have to try taking pictures, in videos OA3 is digitally pumped in detail.
2022-12-1
Use props
Ilya187
lvl.2

Russia

osmonauta Posted at 12-1 23:35
Wow, those are really good - you lucky bastard! But did you use a letter or tabloid size paper? That printout seems to be bigger. I have printed a smaller version which is letter size (8.5" x 11"). Can you share a link to the chart you used? Thanks.

I printed a matte sheet in A3 format, as recommended. But i will try do as you said.
Thnks
2022-12-1
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

MarcoR Posted at 12-1 23:38
You still have to try taking pictures, in videos OA3 is digitally pumped in detail.

And this is precisely what is missing here compared to the GP, to choose the sharpness, because on contrasting scenes, as someone has already suggested, the AO3 is digitally over-sharpened (background). Well, it's only a sw thing, so one time later fw...
2022-12-1
Use props
Ilya187
lvl.2

Russia

MarcoR Posted at 12-1 23:38

Thnks. I will try test it with foto.
2022-12-1
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Ilya187 Posted at 12-1 23:44
I printed a matte sheet in A3 format, as recommended. But i will try do as you said.
Thnks

I did my tests with an A4 at 40 cm, not an A3.
2022-12-1
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

StevoB Posted at 12-1 23:46
And this is precisely what is missing here compared to the GP, to choose the sharpness, because on contrasting scenes, as someone has already suggested, the AO3 is digitally over-sharpened (background). Well, it's only a sw thing, so one time later fw...

DJi listens to user requests in part, has enabled 10Bit but no ability to set sharpness and no gyro data.
We have to make do with what comes in.
2022-12-2
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

MarcoR Posted at 12-2 00:00
DJi listens to user requests in part, has enabled 10Bit but no ability to set sharpness and no gyro data.
We have to make do with what comes in.

And we can be happy that the new fw are free. The time will come when we will have to pay extra for "improvements", or you will buy a bare body with max 2k and you will pay extra for 4k, 10bit, extra stabilization, voice control, gyrodata... like buying car. Then you will have everything that another manufacturer has, don't worry .....an economist must have plus numbers, and more and more...
2022-12-2
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

[view_image]

this is the best looking result i've come across so far !
2022-12-2
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Yes those days are here.  you waant o pay for a timelapse future, sony did that years ago.
2022-12-2
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW3vU78CfAI

So, here we finally have these "internal parameters" where DJI is this verry mysterious about for 3 months already
2022-12-2
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

There is a sure reason why we ask for saved gyro data in the movies.
I did some testing with the new DJI O3, which is basically the same cam installed in the Avata.
I installed it on a racer that I intentionally sent out of tune by exaggerating with the derivative on the roll in order to generate those fast oscillations.
Gyroflow stabilizes in post production much better than RockSteady in realtime (it is patently easy to understand why), which in the same situation generates small abberations on the extreme sides of the footage, I don't have the video with RockSteady here but I will post that as well.
In addition RockSteady generates "too stiff" stabilization, whereas in Gyroflow you can set the amount of stabilization, those violent roll commands RockSteady doesn't dampen them well, look instead at what Gyroflow manages to do.
That is why we have been asking for gyro data on the Osmo Action 3 for months, so that we can have a better result, or at least have a choice.
DJI please, give us this gift for Christmas, you've never done it on the DJI FPV, at least do it on your flagship action cam, damn!

2022-12-2
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Rockel83 Posted at 12-2 05:57
So, here we finally have these "internal parameters" where DJI is this verry mysterious about for 3 months already

I actually have to say that I find the ability to rotate the lens afterwards and adjust the focus actually much, much nicer than the fixed focus like OA1 and OA2. I'm even considering buying a second OA3 and setting it to focus at about 10-15cm, so I can take good macro photos with it, or just deliver better shots at close range.
The turtle here in the photo, for example, is not in focus, because much too close. Taken with the O2.

2022-12-2
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dave Harry did this with his old Yi 4k. He put markers on the camera body for distance and macro. (I think he also had a close focus marker) meant that he could dial it in. The macro shots that he did with it were amazing, but he had to get the lens right on top of the subject!
2022-12-2
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

JustName Posted at 12-2 07:01
I actually have to say that I find the ability to rotate the lens afterwards and adjust the focus actually much, much nicer than the fixed focus like OA1 and OA2. I'm even considering buying a second OA3 and setting it to focus at about 10-15cm, so I can take good macro photos with it, or just deliver better shots at close range.
The turtle here in the photo, for example, is not in focus, because much too close. Taken with the O2.

I also checked the other videos on your channel, they seem to look pretty good now. I was thinking a sec. trying the same you did before returning mine. But I found it a bit much of a risk for €300 hahaha

So great job!

Only too bad DJI couldn't had arranged something like this. This is not a good advertisement for DJI...
Instead they've choosen to hold people on the line with their "internal parameters" and let them wait for firmware updates. There're even people sending in their camera's, hoping their next cam will finally be in focus.

I just choose to go to the competitor....

But again, great job, great solution!
2022-12-2
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Who knows how it will turn out?

2022-12-8
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

I know, the old piece is coming back to me. As proof that it is in focus, they sent me a video of how Horizon balancing works....
Snímka obrazovky 2022-12-08 124834.jpg
2022-12-8
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

great to hear
2022-12-8
Use props
sonoyuki
lvl.1

United States

I was planning to RMA my unit as many of you have done. But unfortunately due to poor lighting in my home, and overcast conditions outdoors I was only able to make minimum judgement.
I feel that it is certainly out of focus, for example the DJI OSMO ACTION 3 text on the box is certainly not sharp even for this lighting.
Please tell me am I simply judging too harshly or is this indeed not in focus:
My test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc1jTI0_aAA

Certainly compared to another user's images at 60cm, my unit looks like the original RMA unit they posted on the left:
Other example at 60cm
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/645883410803458067/1051717103482314762/HIrX36k.png
2022-12-11
Use props
djiuser_g5K12MHzxKHx
lvl.3
Germany

Batch 09/2022

Batch 10/2022

Both Cam´s side by side
2022-12-12
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

Wow!  A clear difference.  My 2nd unit is in shipping.  I will be comparing to this as soon as I can.  Thanks for the very good comparison.
2022-12-12
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I don't think batch has anything to do with quality. My first unit was 08/2022 and my second (replaced) unit is also 08/2022. My second unit had nearly identical image quality to the first one (meaning, not so good close focus). However, with the latest 11/30/2022 firmware (v01.02.10.10) the quality significantly improved.

This is a crop from a 2.7k standard video recording (not 10-bit) from about 20cm. No sharpening. Crop was saved at 95% JPG compression. The focus chart is printed on A3 size paper.

2022-12-12
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

sonoyuki Posted at 12-11 21:53
I was planning to RMA my unit as many of you have done. But unfortunately due to poor lighting in my home, and overcast conditions outdoors I was only able to make minimum judgement.
I feel that it is certainly out of focus, for example the DJI OSMO ACTION 3 text on the box is certainly not sharp even for this lighting.
Please tell me am I simply judging too harshly or is this indeed not in focus:

Your box is the standard box. The other user's box you posted is the combo box. I believe the combo box is bigger. The outlet on the wall certainly does seem to look sharp.

You could use the focus chart for test if you want.

https://www.graphics.cornell.edu ... _12233-reschart.pdf
2022-12-12
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Do the two OA3s have the same firmware installed and the same settings?
2022-12-12
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

osmonauta Posted at 12-12 14:21
I don't think batch has anything to do with quality. My first unit was 08/2022 and my second (replaced) unit is also 08/2022. My second unit had nearly identical image quality to the first one (meaning, not so good close focus). However, with the latest 11/30/2022 firmware (v01.02.10.10) the quality significantly improved.

This is a crop from a 2.7k standard video recording (not 10-bit) from about 20cm. No sharpening. Crop was saved at 95% JPG compression. The focus chart is printed on A3 size paper.

It is possible, but until now I have not come across a person who complained about a unit produced in November, which is also strange....
2022-12-13
Use props
Mr.Magic
lvl.3
Germany

MarcoR Posted at 12-12 23:49
Do the two OA3s have the same firmware installed and the same settings?

Yes. Same FW and settings.
And this is just a Screenshot from my Macbook.

I was wondering about the poor the quality. I compared it with my friends OA3 while riding MTB. Same settings.  And the difference was noticeable. So i ordered a new OA3. And here we are.

i think its pure luck what you get. The Batch doesn't matter. My friends cam is Batch 09/22 ,too. Like my first cam.
2022-12-13
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Mr.Magic Posted at 12-13 01:08
Yes. Same FW and settings.
And this is just a Screenshot from my Macbook.

Great, thanks for the feedback.
It's been a matter of luck or bad luck since I opened this post.
The production date matters little, instead it matters how they worked at DJI that day.
I don't think it is a machine that places the lens at the correct distance from the sensor, but perhaps simply some kind of mechanical lock, and the operation will be done manually.
And it only takes a very few degrees of rotation of the lens group to send it out of focus.
The only one in my opinion is to proceed to focus calibration independently, if you ask DJI for repair they don't actually touch the lens assembly, well they replace it with another product that always falls into the red or black roulette.
2022-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules