Focus issue: test shots with the latest firmware v01.01.05.40
46398 1324 2022-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WiscoPaddler
lvl.4
United States

SenNel Posted at 10-18 08:00
It would be pretty ...ty for them to use one of your refresh replacements for something that is inherintly wrong with the camera. That should be on them, not you.

That was my thought but since we're hearing so many different situations from DJI, I am very hesitant to use it and have them actually provide me a fully focused camera unit.  I have to imagine they just pass the order along to be filled and a random one is pulled off the shelves and shipped to me.

2022-10-18
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

MarcoR Posted at 10-18 06:46
In fact I have Amazon actions and I bought the OA3 from another official DJI dealer... will I be stupid? Yes!
Simply Amazon at that time in Italy did not have it available, like now.

I'm verry happy that I had ordered this cam via Amazon when reading all the possible critics and potentional focus problems.
I can just return it within 30 days without problems now and get my money back. When I wait until day 29, it even gives you 30 more days to return. So almost 60 days in total.

I just got back testing my camera. So I will go look if the results are usable now.

But man, what is DJI app annoying... Like being forced installing a 400MB application for only activating and updating your cam...
I don't want this app, it's too big, for me quite useless. But they force you to need it. This is my first encounter with DJI products, but probably also my last for the near future if I decide to return this camera.
2022-10-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

Rockel83 Posted at 10-18 08:02
I'm verry happy that I had ordered this cam via Amazon when reading all the possible critics and potentional focus problems.
I can just return it within 30 days without problems now and get my money back. When I wait until day 29, it even gives you 30 more days to return. So almost 60 days in total.

I had the opportunity for work to use a lot of DJI products as a third party pilot, I absolutely cannot speak ill of it.
As I have not spoken badly of the OA3 either, on my Youtube channel I praised its performance in FPV flight, but with focus with nearby objects it is very bad and can be detected by those who want to try.
It is my first negative experience with DJI, which is why I am stunned, I would not have expected it from them, also because they have a large number of beta testers scattered around the globe that this thing could have detected in a moment.
I hope that DJI can find a solution for all the unhappy buyers, for now they have not offered me any replacement of the cam because I reported the problem 20 days after purchase when the maximum limit is 15.
For 5 days they are losing a buyer, and maybe others.
Unfortunately Amazon didn't have it available or I would have fixed it by returning it already.
2022-10-18
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
Bulgaria

MarcoR Posted at 10-17 09:22
Do not throw it in caciara that does not aim at solving the problem.
I officially ask: has anyone with the "Adventure Combo" version with production date 2022/09 noticed these focus problems?
The dealer offered to replace it for me by paying the difference, and I'm fine as long as i don't get into this problem yet.

Another one, with adventure combo joined to "Out of focus" club....
And also I think, that after firm update,the things became worst....
So I have 14 days to return it and get my money back...

2022-10-18
Use props
Urbsi
lvl.3
Germany

Just found this recent video on YouTube and for me, it looks pretty good.

2022-10-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Kamen666 Posted at 10-18 08:21
Another one, with adventure combo joined to "Out of focus" club....
And also I think, that after firm update,the things became worst....
So I have 14 days to return it and get my money back...

"But no, that's not true, you're just here to spam with your absurd tests!" .... wait for it!
2022-10-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Urbsi Posted at 10-18 08:25
Just found this recent video on YouTube and for me, it looks pretty good.

But really is pretty good?
Here as a detail to be a 4K it is non-existent imho.

2022-10-18
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

MarcoR Posted at 10-18 08:25
"But no, that's not true, you're just here to spam with your absurd tests!" .... wait for it!

I'm prety sure about this...
Already  is dark here, tommorrow I will try another test,still have almost two weeks for testing ;)
2022-10-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Is the one marked in green or the one in red more in focus?
It's a crop, the little girl was definitely over 40cm at that time.
Maybe it's my glasses that show me different things on my monitor.
DJI could solve by putting in the specs "Minimum focal distance: 1000 cm".

2022-10-18
Use props
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

MarcoR Posted at 10-18 08:31
But really is pretty good?
Here as a detail to be a 4K it is non-existent imho.

Yeah, I wouldn't say it was bad.  But it was definitely soft.
2022-10-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

BigTB Posted at 10-18 08:43
Yeah, I wouldn't say it was bad.  But it was definitely soft.

Absolutely yes, maybe it's not using the latest firmware, or the RockSteady creates that blur effect.
But I've seen better done with the OA3.
2022-10-18
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

Great indoor quality !
Everything is absolutely readable
I wonder why the people complained about  OA3...
Distance - 33cm.  

2022-10-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Kamen666 Posted at 10-18 08:46
Great indoor quality !

A blind friend just said you get paranoid!
2022-10-18
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Kamen666 Posted at 10-18 08:46
Great indoor quality !

Excellent tests and conclusions by all those that want to see.  But wait for it ….  Haha!
2022-10-18
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

MarcoR Posted at 10-18 08:50

So tell him to look more carefully...
2022-10-18
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

10-Bit Posted at 10-18 09:06
Excellent tests and conclusions by all those that want to see.  But wait for it ….  Haha!

More to come in pinch black...
2022-10-18
Use props
Astroita87
lvl.2
Italy

Hi all, what test i need to make to see if my OA3 is working fine with focus and stuff? Just take a picture of an object at 30-40cm away from the camera ( Raw or JPEG? ) and everything else on auto?
2022-10-18
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

Tested my new camera today during normall light conditions.
Did some recording before and after the update.

Only had an old budget SJcam to compare with. So it's probably not the best test. Especially not with Rocksteady turned off on the Action 3 (beware of seasickness :p).

But even the budget SJcam out of 2016 seems to show more detail on the bricks behind th testchart, before and after updating.

2022-10-18
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

Rockel83 Posted at 10-18 19:36
Tested my new camera today during normall light conditions.
Did some recording before and after the update.

So when you zoom out or walk away from an object to take a picture of it (the OA3 in your comparison), you expect to see the same or more detail than before?
2022-10-18
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

Daylight test....
Again great picture and focus quality

2022-10-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Kamen666 Posted at 10-18 22:19
Daylight test....
Again great picture and focus quality

To be over 50 cm it is definitely too blurry.
In general this lens group generates this blur, which is certainly not dependent on the sensor.
It should be understood why DJI made this choice, he still does not understand why this obvious problem arises, it seems impossible to me that DJI has not noticed it.
So I keep wondering if they are the 7 poor quality lenses, or if in production they have placed them at an incorrect distance from the sensor.
I've seen very few OA3s reviewed on Youtube that don't show that blur.
The instinct would be to open the OA3 and see what they did, but I would lose the guarantee.
It would be the proof of 9, only in that way you could understand what is actually happening.
Maybe some youtube with a monetized channel will do it, maybe covering the cost of the cam with the views.
2022-10-18
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

MarcoR Posted at 10-18 22:48
To be over 50 cm it is definitely too blurry.
In general this lens group generates this blur, which is certainly not dependent on the sensor.
It should be understood why DJI made this choice, he still does not understand why this obvious problem arises, it seems impossible to me that DJI has not noticed it.

30cm is also out of focus...
13 days left to return it
2022-10-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Kamen666 Posted at 10-18 23:07
30cm is also out of focus...
13 days left to return it

DJI after evaluating my reports offered to replace the action camera and I accepted, and I thank them here publicly.
I remain extremely curious about the cam they will send me as a replacement.
I will carry out the same tests, I am already curious about the result I will get.
2022-10-18
Use props
ScarontevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

I also successfully requested a repair/replacement yesterday (within 15 days). The 7 lenses are of high quality, because just add some diopters and the image is sharp.....it's just set to sharp infinity.You probably can't speculate much there. Either a sharp foreground or a sharp background. Otherwise, this wide-angle combination with a larger sensor does not work. I mean in that small compact body, with the same dimensions.. Too bad DJI opted for landscapes, not portraits (my speculation).
2022-10-18
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

ScarontevoB Posted at 10-18 23:24
I also successfully requested a repair/replacement yesterday (within 15 days). The 7 lenses are of high quality, because just add some diopters and the image is sharp.....it's just set to sharp infinity.

Right observation.
So DJI in many OA3s has the distance of the lens group from the sensor wrong?
I am still incredulous that they could have made this mistake in production.
Couldn't it be that the lens group itself is internally badly thought out, since for the correct focus it is necessary to add another one?
What I mean is that perhaps changing the distance of the lens group from the sensor may not be solved.
2022-10-18
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

What I noticed here is that they already have the entire optics set up by a third-party supplier. My speculation is that it was probably calibrated for a different sensor size and they just screwed it on at the factory.....Because I don't believe that all "lenses" are set incorrectly...PS: I would welcome a solution since I don't use filters: Add a front protective glass that would be dioptric +4 for "portraits, vlogs" and the original protective glass for landscapes, architecture.....
2022-10-18
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

MarcoR Posted at 10-15 03:15
If I were the only one complaining I'd say I'm an incompetent fool.
Then I'm in good company apparently, the web is already full of reports similar to mine.
Do not try to defend the indefensible, it is a waste of time.

You are spot on.
There are many out there, who is pro, there shows, out of focus.
Then there are Q-fanboys a few, and i do not need glasses and i have no ideer how to edit types.
Dji now refunds oa3 after 14day return window. So that do say a lot.
Think they will make a recall. Stop shipping. This will damage image.
We are many sad dji lovers out here. My avatar is a snapshot, from a 1080p garmin virb ex (7year old) video in a gray clouody day fishing. And dji oa1-3 cant do that.
I use my garmin ultra 30 a lot, way better image, but stabilation ant so good.
Oa1 do take ok photo and bracked is so good.
2022-10-19
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Denmark

MarcoR Posted at 10-15 13:11
No problem Dave, I don't need an apology of any kind, we're here to expose our problems and considerations.
If I can I will produce those videos and provide the sources, first for DJI.
Today we did similar tests with GoPro HERO11 and it's not that different, strangely, the HERO6 performed much better at relatively short distances.

Let fan boy be fanboys. Lot of them. You say gopro 11 have some issues too. Maybe same lens provider. But anyhow, a action cam is up close, on cheast, on a short stik, vlog, so on. 30cm-1m is were importen.
I make content. I can't use what i see from many guys. Some love blurry colors, i don't. I do know it's no 10.000$ movie cam. But i do know i have a old old ...y cam 50$ my first, there have better focus and color.
I cancel my os3 be4 it was in the store here. Did see this. really did want it. but after few videos. I did say, no thanks.
You can't win over fanboys. Focus on guys there can confirm. oa3 owners.
i have Mavic mini and oa1 they are an 8 out 10points ok cams.
2022-10-19
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

hurtighansen1 Posted at 10-19 00:01
You are spot on.
There are many out there, who is pro, there shows, out of focus.
Then there are Q-fanboys a few, and i do not need glasses and i have no ideer how to edit types.

Thanks for your considerations.
I wrote that they proposed the replacement, but at the moment only words, we'll see.
I have other super economic action cameras here and have done other tests, they are all in correct focus at about 50cm.
So cheap or not what they should do.
2022-10-19
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Denmark

MarcoR Posted at 10-18 08:50

lol blurry as ...
2022-10-19
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

fish sticks Posted at 10-18 21:29
So when you zoom out or walk away from an object to take a picture of it (the OA3 in your comparison), you expect to see the same or more detail than before?

More detail then before?
I believe no one will expect more detail then before.

But detail should be ok or reasonable at some given point.
2022-10-19
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

MarcoR Posted at 10-18 23:10
DJI after evaluating my reports offered to replace the action camera and I accepted, and I thank them here publicly.
I will carry out the same tests, I am already curious about the result I will get.

Oh please keep us informed, I'm about to return mine to Amazon. But I think I will just get another one of leftover stock when asking for replacement.

We even don't know uf the same problems still exist on newer camera's since DJI only keeps talking about "internal parameters", but info on if it's fixed and from which batch they will be ok.

We actually know nothing.

Because of this I'm actually thinking of returning it permently and going to look for a reduced GoPro with the upcomming black friday.
2022-10-19
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-19
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

MarcoR Posted at 10-18 23:10

Hope to receive fine working unit, with great focus and let us know ;)
2022-10-19
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Kamen666 Posted at 10-19 04:28
Hope to receive fine working unit, with great focus and let us know ;)

They sent me the UPS return label today, it's a good start.
But if the problem is reported to them after a long time I don't think they will replace your cam, just repait it.
2022-10-19
Use props
TNQ
lvl.2
Turkey

reserved for link
2022-10-19
Use props
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

osmonauta Posted at 10-19 04:18
The Akaso Brave 8 looks good, too, and way cheaper than the GP. I think WORTH IT OR NOT has compared it to the Action 3 in one of his focus test videos. It has a 4.2 star rating out of nearly 4000 reviews on the German Amazon site.

I compared the Brave 8 to an Osmo Action 1 and the Action 1 beat the Akaso in virtually every way.  
2022-10-19
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

MarcoR Posted at 10-19 04:35
But if the problem is reported to them after a long time I don't think they will replace your cam, just repait it.

Maybe be they gonna fix lenses and send you back. Otherwise is good camera and i like the adventure combo.
2022-10-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

More bad information. DJI don’t repair units they replace with refurbished as new or new. Your faulty unit goes back to their china facility to be refurbished.
You should have just started an RMA first time you realised you had a problem you would have saved yourself a lot of unnecessary headaches. And this is what anyone with a problem should do.
2022-10-19
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

---Deleted---
2022-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules