Action 3 and Low Dynamic Range
4192 32 2022-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nick87
lvl.2
Russia

Action 3 really upset me in terms of image quality, this is my first action camera, and comparing with other companies such as GoPro and insta360, DJI has a very low dynamic range, details are hidden in light and dark areas, the image seems to be shot on a cheap camera, details are poorly visible in the sky and in the clouds, the sky is often illuminated.....almost all modern action cameras and smartphones have HDR support, I'm the only one who notices this drawback?? maybe I have something wrong with the settings? I have already created a theme with HDR mode, which was in Osmo Action, who used it already in the first Osmo Action?
2022-10-15
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

what are your settings. it  will help  to know more
2022-10-15
Use props
Nick87
lvl.2
Russia

Fishycomics Posted at 10-15 08:20
what are your settings. it  will help  to know more

Setting: Wide angle, 4k60, Ex:Auto, AWB

2022-10-15
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-15
Use props
defcomedyjam
lvl.2

Taiwan

osmonauta Posted at 10-15 09:16
What does the exact same scene under exact same weather conditions look like on the GP or Insta? I don't have either so I'm not sure.
But here are some sky photos (resized to 1000x750 @90% compression).

https://youtu.be/yNVNsSzl7l4?t=64
2022-10-15
Use props
Nick87
lvl.2
Russia

defcomedyjam Posted at 10-15 09:23
https://youtu.be/yNVNsSzl7l4?t=64

This is what I was talking about, starting from the 1st minute Maybe GoPro has a built-in HDR algorithm in standard video shooting.....in simple words, It works by recording two exposures
2022-10-15
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-15
Use props
Nick87
lvl.2
Russia

osmonauta Posted at 10-15 10:20
I hate to admit but I like my timelapse. It's against the sun (1080p) but still looks ok to me. Maybe because I don't have anything to compare against since this is my first and only action cam.

https://vimeo.com/760631521

I think hdr is needed in more complex scenes where there are a lot of shadows or when it is mostly cloudy, your video has an open space and mostly clear weather
2022-10-15
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

You actually doesn't need HDR since you can make shadows and most dark areas lighter in post (harder to bring down highlights).
So shooting in -1 EV would help or even -2 EV could to the job better for highlights. But using a Polarizing filter would help even more for most sceneries.
2022-10-15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please post sample footage or images showing the issue that you are referring to on the post for us to check it here on our end? In addition, I will love to forward this suggestions of yours to our designated team for their attention. Please keep us psoted. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-10-15
Use props
Nick87
lvl.2
Russia

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-15 19:05
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please post sample footage or images showing the issue that you are referring to on the post for us to check it here on our end? In addition, I will love to forward this suggestions of yours to our designated team for their attention. Please keep us psoted. Thank you for your valued support.

Follow the link to the original video file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... wj/view?usp=sharing
2022-10-15
Use props
Nick87
lvl.2
Russia

johansenfoto Posted at 10-15 15:38
You actually doesn't need HDR since you can make shadows and most dark areas lighter in post (harder to bring down highlights).
So shooting in -1 EV would help or even -2 EV could to the job better for highlights. But using a Polarizing filter would help even more for most sceneries.

Yes, you can emphasize the edges of the clouds and some details, but it's not always possible to pull out the details, it's about the whole picture, for example, in the first Osmo there was a simple HDR mode for video, albeit in 8 bits...here is an example of HDR on the right, that's what I mean

2022-10-15
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Nick87 Posted at 10-15 23:56
Yes, you can emphasize the edges of the clouds and some details, but it's not always possible to pull out the details, it's about the whole picture, for example, in the first Osmo there was a simple HDR mode for video, albeit in 8 bits...here is an example of HDR on the right, that's what I mean
[view_image]
[view_image]

Those examples looks good with HDR. I have only tested HDR in my OA1 during winter, but you will come  a long way with CPL filter to let the colors pop
2022-10-16
Use props
Nick87
lvl.2
Russia

johansenfoto Posted at 10-16 01:46
Those examples looks good with HDR. I have only tested HDR in my OA1 during winter, but you will come  a long way with CPL filter to let the colors pop

Thanks! I ordered this filter for myself, but I don't think it will solve the problem in more complex situations and adding HDR mode in some cases will be useful, especially for the convenience of quick use of the camera
2022-10-16
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

Hi, I also find the dynamic range is rather poor, and I have compiled a few clips I took recently to illustrate that. My first impression is that it is slightly worse then for Action 2, though I have no side by side comparison. By I noticed OA3 exposes slightly more than A2, which may go in the same direction as my first impression.
2022-10-16
Use props
Nick87
lvl.2
Russia

Yaman-Python Posted at 10-16 03:01
Hi, I also find the dynamic range is rather poor, and I have compiled a few clips I took recently to illustrate that. My first impression is that it is slightly worse then for Action 2, though I have no side by side comparison. By I noticed OA3 exposes slightly more than A2, which may go in the same direction as my first impression.
https://youtu.be/_uzKD7FIdyU

It is sad...As far as I know, in the 1st osmo Action, stabilization did not work with the HDR mode turned on, in the 2nd Action, this mode was removed....I guess because of the overheating of the camera, maybe there is hope that it will be added to Action 3, otherwise I do not know other ways to solve this problem, you can use lenses, but it is not always convenient and fast
2022-10-16
Use props
EpicTree
lvl.2
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 10-15 10:20
I hate to admit but I like my timelapse. It's against the sun (1080p) but still looks ok to me. Maybe because I don't have anything to compare against since this is my first and only action cam.

https://vimeo.com/760631521

Tell me about it... This is my first and only action cam so I literally have nothing I can make direct comparisons to. This is especially unlucky for us since it seems only certain models have issues and some are good
2022-10-16
Use props
G1tgudscrub
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1434603 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, OA3 seems to overexpose. Did some action tests with it over the weekend. shooting in D-cinelike and -.3ev.

Seems alright, but definately can push that to -0.7ev or -1ev.

Skies are for the most part pretty overblown, there was decent cloud cover to begin with which makes partial indoor/outdoor transitions or 'window' peeking quite difficult to properly expose. I wish DJI can adjust the exposure meterings such as , center, average, or spot.
2022-10-17
Use props
Nick87
lvl.2
Russia

G1tgudscrub Posted at 10-17 13:37
Yeah, OA3 seems to overexpose. Did some action tests with it over the weekend. shooting in D-cinelike and -.3ev.

Seems alright, but definately can push that to -0.7ev or -1ev.

I tried to use  -0.7ev, in some scenes it helps, in some it doesn't, now I've ordered a Polarizing filter, but I'm really looking forward to HDR video mode as in the 1st Osmo Action, I don't think it's a problem for programmers to add this mode, especially since the camera is no longer as heated as Action 2....If they don't add it, I'll have to switch to GP11 but hope does not die
2022-10-21
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

2022-10-21
Use props
Nick87
lvl.2
Russia

Comparisons from Youtube

2022-10-22
Use props
Nick87
lvl.2
Russia

2022-10-22
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

Don't be fooled. HDR is some setting there tone down contrast, so shadows stand out. Real hdr, is a photo Bracked 3-5-image in defends settings, combined to one image in post. Real hdr cost $ and rigth now theres only Prores from apple there can shoot bracked video. Like mavic 3 Cine. Few pro cams for higend video and movies have Prores. Few year from now, we will see this as standard.
And you ned a real HDR monitor to get real prores image, therefore it's only in cinimas real hdr comes to life.
But you think you have hrd, lol no, you got setting pretending hdr.
2022-10-22
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

hurtighansen1 Posted at 10-22 01:57
Don't be fooled. HDR is some setting there tone down contrast, so shadows stand out. Real hdr, is a photo Bracked 3-5-image in defends settings, combined to one image in post. Real hdr cost $ and rigth now theres only Prores from apple there can shoot bracked video. Like mavic 3 Cine. Few pro cams for higend video and movies have Prores. Few year from now, we will see this as standard.
And you ned a real HDR monitor to get real prores image, therefore it's only in cinimas real hdr comes to life.
But you think you have hrd, lol no, you got setting pretending hdr.

It doesn't matter how you say it, but the dynamic output from the GP is more delicious to my eye, but the colors are not. 99% of users of this price category do not do post-processing with family shots at home for hours... there are other machines for that with other sensors, where the output can only be viewed after post-processing....
2022-10-22
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

I've spent years editing photos and I understand it, I know what HDR is, and how it's done.....mainly I know that I personally don't want to and don't even have time to play with the output in editors like I used to do until now shooting in raw. I want an output acceptable to my eye, and except for some light situations and oversaturated colors (result of HDR) with an orange tint, the GP 11 does it nicely, better than the OA3. My opinion and probably the overwhelming majority of "simple" users.
2022-10-22
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Well, that's where all the positives of GP11 end, and everything else is already in AO3's hands, so I'm not thinking about replacing it with GP11 and I'll wait for FACELIFT OA3
2022-10-22
Use props
Nick87
lvl.2
Russia

StevoB Posted at 10-22 02:55
I've spent years editing photos and I understand it, I know what HDR is, and how it's done.....mainly I know that I personally don't want to and don't even have time to play with the output in editors like I used to do until now shooting in raw. I want an output acceptable to my eye, and except for some light situations and oversaturated colors (result of HDR) with an orange tint, the GP 11 does it nicely, better than the OA3. My opinion and probably the overwhelming majority of "simple" users.

I agree, I'm a simple average user, I use the standard mode, and I want to see a good picture and dynamic range at the output, and I want to use the camera quickly and not dig into the settings
2022-10-22
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

And maybe that's also why they overheat and run out of batteries on GP11
2022-10-22
Use props
Astroita87
lvl.2
Italy

Dynamic range in D-Cinelike is a LOT better than Normal mode. As long as you know how to correct and edit a bit your footage and apply some cool Dji LUTS you retain the details and the differnce is night and day
2022-10-22
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

StevoB Posted at 10-22 02:48
It doesn't matter how you say it, but the dynamic output from the GP is more delicious to my eye, but the colors are not. 99% of users of this price category do not do post-processing with family shots at home for hours... there are other machines for that with other sensors, where the output can only be viewed after post-processing....

I say it how it is. You just been fooled. Maybe you think it looks better, still ant hdr video. It's a selling point. Lean more on youtube. Lot of hdr video content.
But if real life facts don't matter. ? what does ?
2022-10-23
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

hurtighansen1 Posted at 10-23 00:53
I say it how it is. You just been fooled. Maybe you think it looks better, still ant hdr video. It's a selling point. Lean more on youtube. Lot of hdr video content.
But if real life facts don't matter. ? what does ?

Are you saying someone bribed my eyes? DD You don't have to tell me what I like, I know how to do HDR and what side effects it creates. When I take the + and - of the GP11 HDR, it still looks nice to me and above all there is no need to play with it in the editors. That's it, no deception, I took photos with the first digital cameras (1Mpx), I understand that. We are only talking about extreme lighting conditions, where it is impossible without the OA3 post-process.
2022-10-23
Use props
Nick87
lvl.2
Russia

I found a video comparing the two modes in the first Osmo Action, HDR mode and standard. I would like such a mode in Action 3, only in 10 bits, and not only in a flat profile, there is not always time to deal with video processing in the editor
2022-10-28
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Nick87 Posted at 10-28 03:24
I found a video comparing the two modes in the first Osmo Action, HDR mode and standard. I would like such a mode in Action 3, only in 10 bits, and not only in a flat profile, there is not always time to deal with video processing in the editor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTib5ENbu1E

Exactly.
2022-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules