3959 32 2015-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skydrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 615007 ft
Norway

Hello everyone

i wounder if anyone have heard something from dji about a better camera to take stills with?
I think the inspire is perfeckt for videos,but it si not good for stills,so i had hope that dji woud come up with a better solutions for stills??
Anyone?

mvh
kjetil tønnesen

2015-8-11
Use props
korbike
lvl.1

United States

I haven't heard anything about a new camera but I would agree the video quality is fine, but the stills are almost unusable. Way to soft, lacking detail, I have seen much nicer images from the P3, maybe I have a problem with my camera.....
2015-8-11
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

There is a rumoured "X5" gimbal for the Inspire 1 coming soon but there is some suggestion this is based around the Blackmagic Micro camera, which isn't going to help you with photos at all.

I'll be first in line for it though... 1080p ProRes HQ or CinemaDNG shooting in BMD Film? Take my money, DJI.
2015-8-11
Use props
skydrone
lvl.1
Norway

yes i have heard about the black magic thing i have the pocket version on my canister 8 ,but dji have to make something that let us take good pictures too?
2015-8-11
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Whatever is released if it is a new camera I trust there will options in the App to allow stills to be taken at  2 second intervals whilst in automated flights or to just have that option etc.  Would like to see this feature in the current camera also.
2015-8-11
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I think we soon get to that point that we have to have two cameras for the Inspire - one for Video and one for Photo. It will be hard to make one that can satisfy both high end photo and video.
2015-8-11
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

DJI is working on a better camera. That is about all I can say about it, at the moment.
2015-8-11
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

How many moments will we have to wait to learn more?
2015-8-11
Use props
skydrone
lvl.1
Norway

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-12 04:28
DJI is working on a better camera. That is about all I can say about it, at the moment.

OK
will it bee out this year??
i hope they come up with some better photo camera for the inspire:-)
2015-8-18
Use props
kristiandreier
lvl.1

Denmark

skydrone Posted at 2015-8-19 03:17
OK
i hope they come up with some better photo camera for the inspire: ...

I would love to have some 720 interlaced downlink - and NOT compressed in the next camera.

/kristian.
2015-8-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

skydrone Posted at 2015-8-19 03:17
OK
i hope they come up with some better photo camera for the inspire: ...

I can not say. One of our other forum support guys on a different forum made a claim on when a new propulsion system was coming out and he was wrong by several months. DJI had told him a date but he was the one that looked bad on the forum because he was the one that made the promise. I decided right then and there, that even if I have a date I will not share it. There is too great of a chance of being wrong about the date because of unforeseen things that I have no control over.

Sorry, we will all just have to wait and see.
2015-8-18
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

DJI's marketing people are much more enthusiastic than the engineers - many repeated promises are made about features, functions and accessories that are 'coming soon' yet never seem to arrive or have timelines set and publicly communicated. A new camera may one day appear, (as may Waypoints, POI and Nav)  - but don't hold your breath. The engineers have to work to fulfill the promises made by the marketing people,  so it's understandable that the tech folks we see here won't say anything but 'coming soon'.

DJI doesn't have a large scale engineering and development capability, yet has a wide and increasing range of products to support - so the ability to develop accessories and additional features is very limited.
As an example, the last firmware and app update was in beta testing for two whole months - what did we get? A renamed app with a truckload of unnecessary social media and sharing functions that no-one will ever use, all of which would have been relatively easy to develop with standard iOS and Android APIs. If it took them that long for just a few social media functions, how long do you think it will take them to code and test for complicated functions such as NAV/Waypoints and POI?

Personally, I don't believe that we will see any of this until they release the Inspire 2, which itself will have a whole new round of features that will be 'coming soon'.

So the answer is just to get out there and fly - enjoy what you have and don't miss what you haven't. If a better camera arrives and you have a use for it - then go ahead and get busy and share the results with all of us.
2015-8-18
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

Never mind coming soon!*! Get to work on removing the bloatware in the apps and the bugs in the firmware and give us a stable flying platform. All hands on deck for this DJI.
2015-8-19
Use props
RKSL
New

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-12 04:28

Haha DJI-Dave, I love the cryptic response / teaser... just give us a hint?  there's only 10,000 of us reading this, we promise not to mention you by name...
2015-8-19
Use props
sasoto1
lvl.1

United States

Check these guys out.

http://ragecams.com/shop/inspire ... oom-lens-p-825.html
2015-8-19
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

I want a FLIR heat camera
2015-8-19
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

RKSL Posted at 2015-8-19 23:43
Haha DJI-Dave, I love the cryptic response / teaser... just give us a hint?  there's only 10,000 o ...

Ha Ha...
That actually made me laugh. Thanks!

By the way... I love your avatar picture (great shot of your Inspire)!!!!!
2015-8-19
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Machoman Posted at 2015-8-20 02:53
I want a FLIR heat camera

Yeah me too. That would be very cool and very useful for SAR operations.
2015-8-19
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

skyvideoct Posted at 2015-8-19 18:24
Never mind coming soon!*! Get to work on removing the bloatware in the apps and the bugs in the firm ...

As you know from reading my post in the other thread I am trying to push that forward.
2015-8-19
Use props
korbike
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-20 05:00
As you know from reading my post in the other thread I am trying to push that forward.

I must say that I am very disappointed in the ability to take stills with this camera. The video is very usable and the stability is excellent. But getting an image that you can print for a client larger than 12 " is not possible.
I for one would be willing to pay extra for a separate camera to be used for sills only, if that were an option. The Inspire 1 is a great aerial platform, but not being able to take quality stills is a big miss when it comes to the basics of aerial photography. IMHO
2015-8-21
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

korbike Posted at 2015-8-22 01:33
I must say that I am very disappointed in the ability to take stills with this camera. The video i ...

You must have very demanding clients. I think the camera does take good stills and you can make decent prints over 12inches. Not gallery quality, but good for most people.   That being said, camera improvements would be good and they will come.
If you need very high quality prints you should be flying a DSLR with the DJI S1000.
2015-8-21
Use props
korbike
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-22 02:37
You must have very demanding clients. I think the camera does take good stills and you can make de ...

Yes, paying clients can be demanding. There is a wide spread between gallery quality and decent prints, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Coming from years of DSLR aerial work, I may be expecting to much from a small lens.
Don't get me wrong, the Inspire 1 is a great aerial platform, the video is very good and the stabilization is excellent , just need to adjust my expectations, and sell the stills accordingly.  Not disappointed in my purchase, but willing to pay more for a better camera. Thanks
2015-8-21
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

I do agree with you. I would also like to see a better camera for stills.
2015-8-21
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

korbike Posted at 2015-8-22 06:56
Yes, paying clients can be demanding. There is a wide spread between gallery quality and decent pr ...

I'm primarily a stills shooter so definitely agree with you re stills quality.
The sensor and lens do a good job for what they are, but you just cannot compare them against a much larger sized sensor and lens setup on a dslr or micro 4/3 rig. The lack of an adjustable aperture is a big factor here as well.

I probably wouldn't bother upgrading the x3 camera for video purposes, but a camera option that was optimised for stills shooting would be greatly appreciated.
2015-8-21
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Interesting read this one!

I'm a Phantom 3 Pro owner at present, and my main interest in using my P3 is for taking still photos, although I do also find it great for video.

Looking to upgrade to the Inspire 1, but holding off for now.

The one thing that would make me upgrade immediately, and pay good money for, would be the ability to take DSLR quality shots using the Inspire. The current camera module isnt bad at all, but its still not up to the standards expected by photography loons like me.

If DJI made a gimbal that could handle one of the small Black Magic cameras, or if they seriously overhauled their current camera module, and bolted this onto an Inspire then this would be incredible!

To my mind, if the likes of Sony can produce amazing image quality in something as small as say the RX100 IV, then the technology exists to squeeze the electronics into something small enough for an Inspire to handle. Yes we could all go out and spend a fortune on an S1000 + DSLR setup, but this to me is going to be a thing of the past soon. Incredibly expensive, huge, and in the event of a crash the cost of replacing the drone and the DSLR, plus lens is seriously prohibitive.

Cheers... and heres hoping for something great in the near future!

Nick
2015-8-21
Use props
korbike
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-22 08:01

The I1 looks to be designed for future camera upgrades. I am hopeful DJI sees a large pool of willing customers for the I2 camera .............put me on the list :-)
2015-8-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-22 08:01

I am surprised that that DJI's Sony camera is not closer to 18 megapixels and with a faster processor.

Rich
2015-8-22
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Nick Martin Posted at 2015-8-22 14:34
Interesting read this one!

I'm a Phantom 3 Pro owner at present, and my main interest in using my P ...

Yes it would be nice if we could get something like the Sony RX100 at the weight of the current camera. That right there would be a big improvement. Still not at a DSLR quality but very good, and close enough for most of us.

It is funny though...
I have been doing aerial photography for 8 years and 8 years ago the Inspire would be way more than I could even dream up back then. I can not even tell you of all the struggle I have been through to get good aerial pictures. It has been a long but fun journey.  Now we have the Inspire and we want more. That is ok though and it is good. That is what drives innovation right?! Imagine what we will be flying 10 or 20 years from now.  Especially if we do not settle for good enough.
2015-8-22
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-8-23 13:06
I am surprised that that DJI's Sony camera is not closer to 18 megapixels and with a faster proces ...

Yeah......
2015-8-22
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

korbike Posted at 2015-8-23 09:29
The I1 looks to be designed for future camera upgrades. I am hopeful DJI sees a large pool of will ...

Pretty sure that was the idea when they designed the Inspire. Lets just hope DJI follows through with that.
I would buy every upgraded camera they come out with and I would love to see a FLIR camera added to the mix.

I am also still hoping to see the handheld mount for the Inspire1 gimbal/camera.
2015-8-22
Use props
korbike
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-23 14:23
Pretty sure that was the idea when they designed the Inspire. Lets just hope DJI follows through w ...

Clearly DJI has mastered stabilization, we cant be to far from getting the whole package. No question exciting times lay ahead!
2015-8-23
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-23 14:16
Yes it would be nice if we could get something like the Sony RX100 at the weight of the current ca ...

Agreed

Rich
2015-8-24
Use props
pbpubmac
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75873 ft
United States

Is there a way of processing DJI inspire images to make them look a lot better than what they are. With all the fancy software out there these days, surely there is a way!
2015-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules