DJI3 Battery Discharge and Charging Information
1689 11 2015-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Someone mentioned that new DJI3 batteries should not be discharged below 30% for the first 10 or more flights.  I could not find that info in the DJI3 Flight Manual, so if any one has more info please post.  PS. I searched the forum but could not find DJI3 information regarding the 30% issue.

This is what I found on charging the DJI3 battery:

Battery Charging
1) Charge and discharge the battery completely once every 20 charge/discharge cycles. Discharge the battery until there is 8% remaining power or until it can no longer be turned on, then recharge it to the maximum capacity. This power cycling procedure will optimize battery life.
2) The Intelligent Flight Battery is designed to stop charging when it is full. However it is a good practice to monitor the charging progress and disconnect the batteries when fully charged.
http://download.dji-innovations. ... y_Guidelines_en.pdf
2015-8-11
Use props
Superfantastic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 396398 ft
United Kingdom

Apart from running the drone and leaving the battery for 10 days, is there a discharger available or a better method ?
2015-8-11
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

Superfantastic Posted at 2015-8-11 21:11
Apart from running the drone and leaving the battery for 10 days, is there a discharger available or ...

These are smart batteries. You set the when you want them to discharge, via the Go app, and they will discharge at that point automatically. Mine is set for 2-days. I don't store them in the case or in the the P3 when not being transported, as the discharge process generates heat. I leave them on top of the case when not in use.
2015-8-11
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3

Colombia

bradneal24 during your first 10--20 flights what level of discharge did you fly to, i.e. down to 50%, 30%, 20% ?
2015-8-11
Use props
bag1
lvl.1
United States

I can't find the link or the YouTube video I watched but there's a lot of good battery tips from people who I can tell know a lot more about batts than me. The main things I took from it are A) make sure your batts have time to cool before charging them and B) every dozen cycles you want to discharge them below 10%and then charge them. Oh also C) don't store them at full charge for more than a few days.
2015-8-11
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3

Colombia

Thanks for the info
2015-8-11
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3

Colombia

Drone Camps has a YouTube Video, LIPO BREAK IN PROCESS, Must Watch!  I enjoyed the video but would like DJI to include more information about battery break-in.
2015-8-11
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI does not recommend "breaking in" the batteries. I don't think it's beneficial for DJI smart batteries, but your mileage might vary.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-8-11
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-8-11 23:20
DJI does not recommend "breaking in" the batteries. I don't think it's beneficial for DJI smart batt ...

when u say "break in Batteries", what do u mean exactly? thanks for your reply.
i fly mine to around 10% and then let them cool and recharge, i fly everyday and i have them set to 2 days discharge.
am i doing it right?
2015-8-11
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-12 11:45
when u say "break in Batteries", what do u mean exactly? thanks for your reply.
i fly mine to arou ...

Ray. Most of the old pros say not to run them to 10%. I think I have read 20% is the farthest they go. DJI is contradictory and says to run them down and so forth and so on. Who knows...... I have been staying above 20% and cell health is really good but time will tell. I may do a test and run one battery like DJI recommends. It's worth a shot.
2015-8-11
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-12 12:07
Ray. Most of the old pros say not to run them to 10%. I think I have read 20% is the farthest they  ...

i have been keeping track on all the batteries, have kept records of charges, cell voltages, how many times charged, etc.
once i have enough data i ll share it with you
2015-8-11
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3

Colombia

Thanks rayrokni.  So far I've read only opinions with limited facts regarding best practices for battery life.  Some say you should not run your batteries below 50% for the first 10 flights.  I guess time will tell.  One thing for sure we will see huge advances in future battery technology resulting in much longer flight times.  I have 3 batteries for my DJI3P and 2 for my DJI3A with no plans to buy more since the DJI4 will have a completely new battery.  Have fun flying.

2015-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules