2641 25 2022-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I a have the anti flicker setting on Auto and have also set it to 50 and 60 hz. I am finding with certain lights I think led that the anti flicker is not working well
2022-10-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

What framerate are you using?
Make sure you set it to 25 or 50, as you are in PAL area.
2022-10-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Montfrooij Posted at 10-17 22:42
What framerate are you using?
Make sure you set it to 25 or 50, as you are in PAL area.

I always use 1080p 60 I will try an experiment We are in Spain at the moment
2022-10-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bigplumbs Posted at 10-17 23:00
I always use 1080p 60 I will try an experiment We are in Spain at the moment

That could explain the flicker.
Unfortunately, mixing 60 and 50fps footage in one video is not good either. So if you already started at 60fps, I would live with the flickering and just stick to that.
But you might want to test if the 50fps will fix the flickering (it should)
2022-10-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very interesting I will try that

In my latest video of our trip yesturday you can see what I mean at the end

2022-10-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bigplumbs. Thank you for reaching out and for these information. Kindly please set the ISO to Auto and select Anti-Flicker to the corresponding frequency ( 50 Hz or 60 Hz ). In Shutter Priority Mode or Manual Mode, manually adjust the shutter. Select 1/100s, 1/50s, or 1/25s for a 50 Hz light source. Select 1/120s, 1/60s, or 1/30s for a 60 Hz light source. If the issue persist in a brighter or lighter environment when using Auto mode, the shutter will make automatic adjustment based on the environment lighting. At this time, the shutter speed may differ from the once recommended above, which may result in flickering. In addition, flickering cannot be removed when shooting a 120 fps video since the minimum setting is 1/120S, which fails to meet the above requirements. Thank you.
2022-10-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bigplumbs Posted at 10-17 23:30
Very interesting I will try that

In my latest video of our trip yesturday you can see what I mean at the end

I'm quite sure setting your framerate to 50fps will fix it.
But it will be difficult to combine with 60fps footage, so that might be a problem.
You can try 30fps with a lower shutterspeed (slower), that might help a little 'and' it also is good to combine with 60pfs footage.
2022-10-18
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for all the info but I only ever use Auto so will just put up with it. I hate all that camera geek ISO stuff. Life is too short
2022-10-18
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-17 23:52
Hello there Bigplumbs. Thank you for reaching out and for these information. Kindly please set the ISO to Auto and select Anti-Flicker to the corresponding frequency ( 50 Hz or 60 Hz ). In Shutter Priority Mode or Manual Mode, manually adjust the shutter. Select 1/100s, 1/50s, or 1/25s for a 50 Hz light source. Select 1/120s, 1/60s, or 1/30s for a 60 Hz light source. If the issue persist in a brighter or lighter environment when using Auto mode, the shutter will make automatic adjustment based on the environment lighting. At this time, the shutter speed may differ from the once recommended above, which may result in flickering. In addition, flickering cannot be removed when shooting a 120 fps video since the minimum setting is 1/120S, which fails to meet the above requirements. Thank you.

Nope did not understand any of that and I think I don’t want to lol
2022-10-18
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

You are quite correct set it to 50 fps and all flicker gone
2022-10-19
Use props
fans48a3f9e6
New

United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 2022-10-19 05:40
You are quite correct set it to 50 fps and all flicker gone

Iso - how sensitive the sensor is to light (lower improves quality)

Shutter speed - how long the shutter stays open. Shorter improves crispness of moving images, longer allows you to show motion as the photo/ video frames will have some blur of a moving object.

Aperture - how wide the shutter opens. Lower numbers actually mean more light gets in.

You don't have to learn the science but tinkering with these can really improve your outputs.

As for the flicker which was my original question that brought me to this thread; 50hz for EU and 60HZ  for the US will get rid of the horizontal lines; auto doesn't seem to work consistently
2023-5-22
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Glad to hear you found the solution to your problem. Had this with my Pocket 2, too, and the fix was the same. Setting it to 25 or 50 fps removes the flicker in PAL regions. Just wish I'd remember it more often in my filming.
2023-5-22
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 2022-10-18 09:11
Thanks for all the info but I only ever use Auto so will just put up with it. I hate all that camera geek ISO stuff. Life is too short

If you see flicker on the screen at 60fps, setting manual shutter just for that shot to 1/100 and then go back to whatever you normally do.

Basically, multiples of 50 on shutter speed will help with flicker. If picture is too bright (which I doubt) then go up to 1/200th second just for that shot to make the picture darker.

Don’t mix 50FPS footage with 60FPS in the same video. Only adjust the shutter if you see flicker for individual shots.

Auto anything doesn't always get it right, including the 'anti-flicker' switch.

2023-5-23
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-22 21:23
Glad to hear you found the solution to your problem. Had this with my Pocket 2, too, and the fix was the same. Setting it to 25 or 50 fps removes the flicker in PAL regions. Just wish I'd remember it more often in my filming.

Try just moving the shutter if you use 60fps. Instead of 120 or 60th (if you worry about motion blur or judder), try switching it to 1/100th or 1/200th while still using 60fps. There will be a shutter speed that eliminates it. Just for those shots.
2023-5-23
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Iancraig10 Posted at 5-23 02:27
Try just moving the shutter if you use 60fps. Instead of 120 or 60th (if you worry about motion blur or judder), try switching it to 1/100th or 1/200th while still using 60fps. There will be a shutter speed that eliminates it. Just for those shots.

Thanks for the tip, will have to try it out and see how it turns out.
2023-5-23
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-23 05:23
Thanks for the tip, will have to try it out and see how it turns out.

I often take video at 30fps and just alter the shutter to 1/50th but at 60fps, you have to use 100th.
2023-5-23
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Iancraig10 Posted at 5-23 05:53
I often take video at 30fps and just alter the shutter to 1/50th but at 60fps, you have to use 100th.

Actually, that is a very good thing to know. I usually preferred the 30fps but was annoyed by the flicker. Will see up if that will help me in the future. Thank you very much for that
2023-5-23
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-23 12:21
Actually, that is a very good thing to know. I usually preferred the 30fps but was annoyed by the flicker. Will see up if that will help me in the future. Thank you very much for that

Yes, flicker from lights looks really awful/distracting and is so easy to eliminate.
2023-5-23
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Iancraig10 Posted at 5-23 12:55
Yes, flicker from lights looks really awful/distracting and is so easy to eliminate.

You can say that again about the first part of your statement, and glad to hear about the second one. :-)
2023-5-26
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Iancraig10 Posted at 5-23 12:55

Did a test run today with 60fps and 1/200th shutter speed, and the flicker was gone :-) Just have to experiment with the ND filters (didn't originally use them while cycling earlier on, as I was uncertain if they would get knocked off if I drove to a bump, but tested with a fixed polarizer today and found out it is safe when riding on the pavement) as the image was overexposed and the movement was maybe a tad jerky. You think setting the shutter to 1/100 and/or using an appropriate ND filter would help those?

Thank you very much for your previous tips, and thanks in advance for replying to this message, too!
2023-6-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have mixed 60 fps and 50 fps and all seems fine to me
2023-6-7
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 6-7 12:47
Did a test run today with 60fps and 1/200th shutter speed, and the flicker was gone :-) Just have to experiment with the ND filters (didn't originally use them while cycling earlier on, as I was uncertain if they would get knocked off if I drove to a bump, but tested with a fixed polarizer today and found out it is safe when riding on the pavement) as the image was overexposed and the movement was maybe a tad jerky. You think setting the shutter to 1/100 and/or using an appropriate ND filter would help those?

Thank you very much for your previous tips, and thanks in advance for replying to this message, too!

At 60FPS, you can set the shutter to 100th indoors and it will likely be ok. Trouble with 60FPS is that you lose a stop in comparison to 30FPS so it is darker indoors than 30FPS.

If you want to keep 100th sec outside, then an nd filter might well be needed.

I use 30FPS and set the shutter in PAL regions to 1/50th so no accidents happen with lights. You also get a nice motion blur. However, if running around and moving the camera a lot, I put the shutter speed higher so there are no weird effects with motion and stabilisation. Stabilisation helps keep handshake down if you hold it steady at 1/50th.

Then you get more detail for the same bitrate in the shot. Raising the frame rate halves the amount of data for each ‘frame’ but smooths out movement if you are throwing the camera around. I use 60FPS for ‘b’ roll type stuff where the camera is still (because it looks even more steady) and for a semi slow motion effect.

Nothing wrong with 60FPS, but you do lose motion blur and picture data is halved for each frame. So moving leaves for instance, can look blocky. With more data, there’s less chance of that at 30.

It’s not a good idea to mix 50 and 60fps. Still shots with little movement would be ok or just quick shots, but before long, movement might appear ‘stilted’; might be more noticeable on long takes. Problem is, if you render at 60, the software has to find 10 frames of its own for anything shot in 50. That can lead to odd movement.

Then again, if you can’t see it, don’t worry about it. I wouldn’t do that though.

If you're using it more as an action cam, the 60FPS and a high shutter speed makes sense. Then the stabilisation gets a hold. The fast frame rate 'disguises' the silly, high shutter speeds and resulting judder in movement. That's why action cams have their own distinct, sharp look, but you can get stunning footage from the Action 3 if you take the trouble to set it up like a 'normal' camera and hold it relatively still, like a standard camera.

2023-6-8
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-7 21:19
I have mixed 60 fps and 50 fps and all seems fine to me

It’s not a good idea to mix footage where the lower number doesn’t divide into the higher number. (50 isn’t a multiple of 60, but 30 is)

So anyone looking for help with this, changing the SHUTTER to 1/50th or 1/100 will help.

Mixing frame rates can cause problems with movement in the final render and isn’t really the answer. Of course, if the WHOLE video is in 50FPS, then there will be no problem since the camera will (hopefully) pick a multiple of 50 for it's shutter speed in auto.

I would film everything in 50FPS to match the UK lighting if it is a problem. The difference in look between 50 and 60 isn’t great really and there would then be no flicker. (Although using 60FPS makes sense when TV's refresh at 60Hz) Most modern TV's though do a good job and some even adapt their refresh rate according to the source so 50FPS is pretty much the same on a TV.
2023-6-8
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Iancraig10 Posted at 6-8 02:10
At 60FPS, you can set the shutter to 100th indoors and it will likely be ok. Trouble with 60FPS is that you lose a stop in comparison to 30FPS so it is darker indoors than 30FPS.

If you want to keep 100th sec outside, then an nd filter might well be needed.

Thanks for that very thorough explanation, gives a lot of food for thought. Will have to see what is the optimal setting for cycling, knowing now that it's relatively safe to use ND filters with chest mount gives me a lot more options in trying the different settings. Maybe I try a ND32 and 1/100th at 60fps next to see how it will turn out, the forecast for the following week's weather seems to promise a lot of sunny days for test rides. I do like both the thought of motion blur at 30fps and the feeling of faster, smoother movement of 60fps, so will have to consider carefully which will suit my needs best for each scenario.

Though I do not mostly use the Pocket 2 as an action camera, there are some occasions where I would like the option, such as cycling. (The tilt lock stabilization mode works like a charm for that!) Knowing this will certainly help me get more bang for my buck from my camera

Thanks once again for taking the time and effort to explain this to me and have a nice weekend
2023-6-8
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just a quickie ….. 30FPS will give the impression of more action and more jagged with motion blur  while 60FPS will be smoother with less motion blur.
2023-6-9
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Iancraig10 Posted at 6-9 00:20
Just a quickie ….. 30FPS will give the impression of more action and more jagged with motion blur  while 60FPS will be smoother with less motion blur.

Thanks for that, will do some comparisons between the framerates and see how it ends up looking. There will be plenty of days to test that out.
2023-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules