I Took a Chance. Tests to Come
967 8 2022-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

I ordred an Action 3.  I really like the Action 1 and I still think it's a good, versatile camera today.  I like some of the features of the new one, and I'm even willing to accept lower image qualty than the GoPro (less detail, less dynamic range), given the seemingly lower propensity to overheat and better battery life the Action 3 seems to have.  What does bother me is the idea that not because of a hardware limitation, but becuause of a possible hardware calibration issue, the image may be softer than it should be.  We'll see just how soft it is and if I can live with it.

From the reports I've seen, people are getting well over an hour of battery life, often approaching two hours, and without any overheating.  Once I have the camera and a few accessories I ordered later this week, I'll start some testing and will post my findings if anyone is interested.  I plan to test a couple different microphone adapters with both shotgun mics and lavalier microphones.  And maybe some other stuff.  Should be fun!  And possibly disappointing, lol.
2022-10-18
Use props
SenNel
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

The battery life and heat dissipation is as advertized. I shot hyperlapses for a full day and was very impressed. That said, there seem to be some issues with close focusing. The good news is that it appears that DJI is pushing back orders (assuming you ordered from them) so you may get a model that has already addressed the issue. Did you order from DJI or somewhere where it was in stock? If the latter, you may want to cancel until DJI makes an official statement on the issue.
2022-10-18
Use props
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

SenNel Posted at 10-18 09:57
The battery life and heat dissipation is as advertized. I shot hyperlapses for a full day and was very impressed. That said, there seem to be some issues with close focusing. The good news is that it appears that DJI is pushing back orders (assuming you ordered from them) so you may get a model that has already addressed the issue. Did you order from DJI or somewhere where it was in stock? If the latter, you may want to cancel until DJI makes an official statement on the issue.

I didn't order direct from DJI, but when I checked on their site just now, it says it would ship within 1 business day and arrive by 10/23.  
2022-10-18
Use props
SenNel
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

BigTB Posted at 10-18 10:02
I didn't order direct from DJI, but when I checked on their site just now, it says it would ship within 1 business day and arrive by 10/23.

If you can still cancel, you may want to and wait a few days... things with this issue seem to be escalating. Would you rather get a better working one or have one that you'll then have to send back?
2022-10-18
Use props
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

SenNel Posted at 10-18 10:25
If you can still cancel, you may want to and wait a few days... things with this issue seem to be escalating. Would you rather get a better working one or have one that you'll then have to send back?

I appreciate you looking out, and I do HATE sending stuff back.  But, for better or for worse, it's "out for delivery," lol.  

At this point, if there is a problem it will be interesting to see how DJI handles it.  Especially if there is some large-scale fix rolled out.
2022-10-18
Use props
stagnant
lvl.3
Norway

Maybe they will send us all some glasses that makes the footage crystal clear..and everything else in the world blurry.
2022-10-18
Use props
SenNel
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

BigTB Posted at 10-18 10:30
I appreciate you looking out, and I do HATE sending stuff back.  But, for better or for worse, it's "out for delivery," lol.  

At this point, if there is a problem it will be interesting to see how DJI handles it.  Especially if there is some large-scale fix rolled out.

On the up-side, for non-close subjects it has been great and I (like you) decided to go with the OA3 because of the longer battery life, which has absolutely lived up to expectations. Used it an entire day of driving without any overheating issues.

If they can improve the image for closer objects, it really will be a great little camera, but I have to confirm that anything remotely close looks too soft.
2022-10-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there BigTB. Thank you for purchasing the DJI Osmo Action 3 and for giving out these interesting information. For additional reference I will post a DJI Link where in you can find the Product Support and Frequently Asked Questions for the new DJI Osmo Action 3. Thank you for your support.

https://www.dji.com/support/prod ... ndsite&from=nav
2022-10-18
Use props
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

I have the camera.  I haven't done a ton of testing yet, but I did do a quick test video with both the Action 3 and my action 1.  Nothing super close-up, but overall the detail looks similar.  The Action 1 seems to have a bit more contrast or mid-tone detail that makes some areas look a tiny bit sharper, but it's tough to say for sure after only a couple short clips.  One thing that stands out is sharper and less distorted sides and corners in de-warp mode on the Action 1 compared to the Action 3.  I'm sure the Action 3's much wider angle lens is the main factor there.  There's only so much you can do when you "correct" that much lens distortion.  But it means that regardless of the distance from the lens, only the middle 50% or so is truly "sharp" on the Action 3, with reducing clarity the further towards the edge you go from there.

We're supposed to have nice weather this weekend.  I should be able to get out and do some recording.
2022-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules