Are you pleased with your Osmo Action 3
11663 213 2022-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zarkost
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66739 ft
Serbia

I've buy DJI Action 2, month prior to DJI launch DJI Osmo action 3. When I saw launching (of DJI Osmo Action 3), I regret buying DJI A2, and I was sure that will buy DJI OA3, adventure kit. But, recently, I was watching bunch of YT videos refering focus issues with DJI OA3, and when I compare video from OA3 and A2, seems to me that there is not big improvements, if any, so I quit idea of buying OA3, for now.
2022-10-30
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

Zarkost Posted at 10-30 10:08
I've buy DJI Action 2, month prior to DJI launch DJI Osmo action 3. When I saw launching (of DJI Osmo Action 3), I regret buying DJI A2, and I was sure that will buy DJI OA3, adventure kit. But, recently, I was watching bunch of YT videos refering focus issues with DJI OA3, and when I compare video from OA3 and A2, seems to me that there is not big improvements, if any, so I quit idea of buying OA3, for now.

Specs on paper are quite similar, besides a few minor changes or improvements.
https://www.dji.com/nl/products/comparison-action

I would safe myself the money if you're happy with the A2 and better wait for an upcomming OA4 or something like that
2022-10-30
Use props
Zarkost
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66739 ft
Serbia

Rockel83 Posted at 10-30 18:01
Specs on paper are quite similar, besides a few minor changes or improvements.
https://www.dji.com/nl/products/comparison-action

Yes, that's my plan. I'll probably skip OA3, and wait for OA4, because, now I have A2, which is portable, small, and convinient for recording ond the go, and for more robust filming I have Gopro 8 black.
2022-10-31
Use props
DaveInMoto
lvl.2
Italy

Hello, Sorry for my english i'm from Italy.

I bought the OA3 to use it when i'm out on my bike and record video for my small youtube channel. Did the very first video 2 days ago and i can say i'm ok with the overall quality and seems my camer is not affect by the focus issue. A thing i notice BTW is when the light are not enough (like in my room or in the evening with artificial light) the camera will suffer badly for the poor light. When i'm outside in the day it's all ok. the image is clearly better than my old Hero 4 silver and i'm very pleased of the quality. I need to order ND Filters 'cause i want to set manually my exposure when i'm outside and in the future will test it as soon i order the filters. so i think i'm just lucky and my unit is ok.

I really like the UI the menu's and the easy of use for mounting in my helmet and add an external mic (i use a pair of earphones USB C by Huawei and the audio quality is great inside my helmet). I liked a lot the battery life, 1080 50p is my format of choice and i had recorded like almost 2 hour + of footage with a single battery.

No sign of overheating, no sign of issue in recording neither with the quick video feature.

So i like it a lot and very happy with the purchase (i ordered the adventure combo pack)

Cheers!!
2022-10-31
Use props
djiuser_BDqfjZQkO1rk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15748 ft
United States

I can't say that I am as lucky as the poster above me. I sent my first one in for a repair and they indicated that the lens module was malfunctioned. I assumed that they would fix it, but they sent me a new camera and unfortunately this one suffers from the same lens module problem so its going back to repair.
2022-10-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_BDqfjZQkO1rk Posted at 10-31 06:16
I can't say that I am as lucky as the poster above me. I sent my first one in for a repair and they indicated that the lens module was malfunctioned. I assumed that they would fix it, but they sent me a new camera and unfortunately this one suffers from the same lens module problem so its going back to repair.

Just checked your video out , didn’t really see what was wrong with the camera, I be more worried about the squeaky brake ;+)
2022-10-31
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DaveInMoto Posted at 10-31 02:50

I bought the OA3 to use it when i'm out on my bike and record video for my small youtube channel. Did the very first video 2 days ago and i can say i'm ok with the overall quality and seems my camer is not affect by the focus issue. A thing i notice BTW is when the light are not enough (like in my room or in the evening with artificial light) the camera will suffer badly for the poor light. When i'm outside in the day it's all ok. the image is clearly better than my old Hero 4 silver and i'm very pleased of the quality. I need to order ND Filters 'cause i want to set manually my exposure when i'm outside and in the future will test it as soon i order the filters. so i think i'm just lucky and my unit is ok.

Very glad to hear you are pleased with yours so am I.
2022-10-31
Use props
djiuser_BDqfjZQkO1rk
lvl.3
United States

On my phone and iPad the video looks decent, but on my 5k monitor not so much. It’s just not as crisp as other videos I’ve watched on YT.

Let’s see what the repair department says. I’ll update as soon as I get one.

I’m sure both my bottom bracket and brakes need to be looked out.
2022-10-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_BDqfjZQkO1rk Posted at 10-31 08:25
On my phone and iPad the video looks decent, but on my 5k monitor not so much. It’s just not as crisp as other videos I’ve watched on YT.

Let’s see what the repair department says. I’ll update as soon as I get one.

So the 4k doesn’t look great on your 5k monitor hmmmm, I guess your saying on the big screen it doesn’t look great.
2022-10-31
Use props
Astroita87
lvl.2
Italy

I bought the OA3 to use it when i'm out on my bike and record video for my small youtube channel. Did the very first video 2 days ago and i can say i'm ok with the overall quality and seems my camer is not affect by the focus issue. A thing i notice BTW is when the light are not enough (like in my room or in the evening with artificial light) the camera will suffer badly for the poor light. When i'm outside in the day it's all ok. the image is clearly better than my old Hero 4 silver and i'm very pleased of the quality. I need to order ND Filters 'cause i want to set manually my exposure when i'm outside and in the future will test it as soon i order the filters. so i think i'm just lucky and my unit is ok.

Hey Marco, be carefull with ND filter on the A3. You can't use the 180 shutter rule on this action camera because you have EIS ( electronic image stabilization ), It is not like in the drone that you have the Gymbal,  the minimun shutter speed to have no jitter on your videos is 1/320. I tell you this because i have already tested with an ND16 from freewell ( ordered from their website ) and i have to keep AUTO shutter speed and Auto ISO to have video without jitter.

I think i'm gonna buy ND4 and i'm pretty sure this is the sweet spot we can go with the Action 3 though i still have to try the ND8 that i have here with me. But ND16 is for sure way too much stops.

Also the best setting for me is to keep everything on AUTO both exposure and ISO, 5600k WB , because the camera  using an ND4 filter will already decrease automatically the shutter speed ( NDfilter: less light in , less shutter speed ) and i will get a bit more motion blur without having my videos ruined by the jitter

Cheers
2022-10-31
Use props
djiuser_Kodxnl95FH2X
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Action line so I am wondering if my copy's stabilization is defective or not. I was shooting 4k/30 with horizon balance stabilization with the camera mounted (tightly) on a head strap.  It looks like there's a lot of jitter so I don't know if the stabilization is working or not.  Thanks for any input.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8hc_iPhX30
2022-11-1
Use props
djiuser_BDqfjZQkO1rk
lvl.3
United States

Definitely jittery and out of focus, but that’s just my opinion. A couple of people here will tell you the quality and sharpness is fine.
2022-11-1
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don’t think you’ll get much sharper on an Action 3. The jittery thing is your footsteps, and for some reason, the stabilisation isn’t fully stopping it. That could be the shutter speed being slow even though you’re outside! The stabilisation needs strong sharp pictures to work properly but if the shutter is a bit low, the images aren’t quite sharp enough for the stabilisation to work well.

The ‘heavy footstep jitter’ is common with a lot of action cams so I often creep around a bit to avoid it when no one is watching me!
2022-11-2
Use props
Urbsi
lvl.3
Germany

djiuser_Kodxnl95FH2X Posted at 11-1 19:35
Hi everyone, I'm new to the Action line so I am wondering if my copy's stabilization is defective or not. I was shooting 4k/30 with horizon balance stabilization with the camera mounted (tightly) on a head strap.  It looks like there's a lot of jitter so I don't know if the stabilization is working or not.  Thanks for any input.

I´ve had that problem and fixed it.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D781%26typeid%3D781

2022-11-2
Use props
Astroita87
lvl.2
Italy

djiuser_Kodxnl95FH2X Posted at 11-1 19:35
Hi everyone, I'm new to the Action line so I am wondering if my copy's stabilization is defective or not. I was shooting 4k/30 with horizon balance stabilization with the camera mounted (tightly) on a head strap.  It looks like there's a lot of jitter so I don't know if the stabilization is working or not.  Thanks for any input.

what settings are you using? video looks really dark even though it's daylight out there
2022-11-2
Use props
djiuser_Kodxnl95FH2X
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Astroita87 Posted at 11-2 02:27
what settings are you using? video looks really dark even though it's daylight out there

Thanks a lot for the feeeback!
I did perform the horizontal calibration before going for my walk but since I was shooting 30 frames per second I had the shutter speed at 1/60 as per the video reciprocal rule so I also had a 4 or 8 stop ND filter on so that the exposure was still at 0 eV, but possibly the exposure rose above 0 when I was in the shade. The iso was set to 100-12800.
I’ll try again without the ND filter and with a fast shutter speed.
I thought that since people mount these cameras on helmets when mountain biking or motorcycle racing and the footage looks nice that the EIS could deal with gentle footsteps but perhaps I went past its limit with the 1/60 shutter.
Many thanks again.
2022-11-2
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, 60th is too slow for the stabilisation to get a grip. Motion blur and stabilisation don’t work well together. Some reckon a minimum of 300th second for good stabilisation!
2022-11-2
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

Bigplumbs Posted at 10-20 22:36
What is gyro data and why do you want it

Gyrodata is, look up garmin virb overlays. It's if you bike, race, dives, skydives, skies so on. You have tracking on every mm down up and then you can pick an overlay there is you game. And yes. look it up. Think garmin virb was the only one, gopro did try. But i don't know if they have gps-gyro tracking.

dji osmo do not
2022-11-2
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Denmark

Rockel83 Posted at 10-21 08:50
But what's the purpose of making a poll like this then on a place where, like you say yourself, people only come to complain?
The results would have been obvious from that perspective already
I'm actually happy for the people who are satisfied with it, and I really wished I was also one of them.

Many do buy a cam, then never really use it. So yes, happy happy. But looking at what posting video comes up now. it do not look good, fucus, scittering, over composed, not good. Useless, how many sees that ? only the pro.
2022-11-2
Use props
djiuser_Kodxnl95FH2X
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 11-2 03:31
Yes, 60th is too slow for the stabilisation to get a grip. Motion blur and stabilisation don’t work well together. Some reckon a minimum of 300th second for good stabilisation!

Thanks I’ll use 1/300 as a starting point from now on.
2022-11-2
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_Kodxnl95FH2X Posted at 11-2 04:09
Thanks I’ll use 1/300 as a starting point from now on.

I was surprised that they suggested it being so fast for stabilisation to work properly. It might be worth an experiment 100, 200, 300 just to see what works for your normal speed of walking.

The picture needs to be sharp for the stabilisation to be able to work out what needs stabilising. Almost like a little man in there!

Might be as well to leave the shutter on auto to be honest.

2022-11-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

hurtighansen1 Posted at 11-2 03:42
Gyrodata is, look up garmin virb overlays. It's if you bike, race, dives, skydives, skies so on. You have tracking on every mm down up and then you can pick an overlay there is you game. And yes. look it up. Think garmin virb was the only one, gopro did try. But i don't know if they have gps-gyro tracking.

dji osmo do not

Gopro and Insta360 have gyro data.
And yes gopro have gps tracking aswell, have done some overlay in videos a few years ago with it.

And for people that doesn't know WHY we are so many that want it, check out this video here:

2022-11-2
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That works brilliantly. Thank you.

This works with with my Sony ZV1 and E10 footage as well. Just tried it with a tricky file and worked, no problem.

Much better way to get stable footage because you're in control.

2022-11-2
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_Kodxnl95FH2X Posted at 11-2 03:21
Thanks a lot for the feeeback!
I did perform the horizontal calibration before going for my walk but since I was shooting 30 frames per second I had the shutter speed at 1/60 as per the video reciprocal rule so I also had a 4 or 8 stop ND filter on so that the exposure was still at 0 eV, but possibly the exposure rose above 0 when I was in the shade. The iso was set to 100-12800.
I’ll try again without the ND filter and with a fast shutter speed.

Stick it all on Auto..... you will be pleased you have.

Why mess with all those settings thinking you know better when the camera will do it all for you
2022-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

johansenfoto Posted at 11-2 07:24
And yes gopro have gps tracking aswell, have done some overlay in videos a few years ago with it.

It had been said by first you tubers that A3 was set up for gyro data and would be coming. I’m inclined to believe this could be true Avata has it so all the necessary was their to add to A3. It wasn’t on Avata straight out of the box.
2022-11-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

hallmark007 Posted at 11-2 11:12
It had been said by first you tubers that A3 was set up for gyro data and would be coming. I’m inclined to believe this could be true Avata has it so all the necessary was their to add to A3. It wasn’t on Avata straight out of the box.

I will probably come. Then we doesn't need to be worried about stabilization in low light since gyro data would make it possible.
2022-11-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Honestly, I wouldn’t expect much performance in low-light situations from a sensor of this size. Comparatively, given the GoPro Hero 11’s larger sensor, the GoPro would perform better in low-light situations. But I wouldn’t give up the Action 3’s battery life and quick charging for the GoPro Hero 11. If anything, if I wanted something to shoot indoors with at this price point, I’d probably consider a Sony ZV-1 or ZV-1f
2022-11-2
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Denmark

johansenfoto Posted at 11-2 07:24

I know they did try do as garmin overlay gps-gyro, but do think they did drop it. Many gopro users did use garmin overlays with there gopro data.
Do think gopro 8 had gps tracking+overlay in edit.
it's discontinued on pc app today, but you can buy software there can do the same or better.
Dji OA1 did not even have time and date auto synk. Have to reset the time, if you pull battery.
So if oa2 or oa3 is any better ?
It's ... when you search for shots and you need time, seconds to sync, you can't
I wish they had gps tracking
2022-11-3
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

johansenfoto Posted at 11-2 13:09
I will probably come. Then we doesn't need to be worried about stabilization in low light since gyro data would make it possible.

Yes but there is no point in repeating it, so many do not understand it, especially those who do not even know what Gyroflow (open source software, so GRATIS) is and how to use it!
2022-11-3
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

MarcoR Posted at 11-3 00:47
Yes but there is no point in repeating it, so many do not understand it, especially those who do not even know what Gyroflow (open source software, so GRATIS) is and how to use it!

Haha true, old people doesn't know this kind of "new" inventions
2022-11-3
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MarcoR Posted at 11-3 00:47

And there are those that want to get out in the real world and use their Camera rather than sit at a computer messing around with that sort of stuff and pretending they know
2022-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

johansenfoto Posted at 11-3 01:00
Haha true, old people doesn't know this kind of "new" inventions

Stabilization is not a new invention its been around probably longer than you or I, something old people are very aware of as it was them who invented it along with the wheel, electricity, phone, TV, Computers and even the internet, all invented by people who are old  
2022-11-3
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

hallmark007 Posted at 11-3 07:45
Stabilization is not a new invention its been around probably longer than you or I, something old people are very aware of as it was them who invented it along with the wheel, electricity, phone, TV, Computers and even the internet, all invented by people who are old

We talk about gyro data what it have for use
2022-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

johansenfoto Posted at 11-3 11:10
We talk about gyro data what it have for use

We’re all aware of gyro flow including old people ;+)
2022-11-3
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

Hi, I took my time before "voting". Done.
I have been happy with my OA3 from beginning except for minor things like the removal of the wide fov in dewarp mode (RS of A2), a bit low dynamic range and only slight improvement in IQ compared to A2. So far I have used it in over 6 hikes and numerous tests. My copy is good I think. Battery is amazing, No need to even care about it for my shooting style. Stabilization in low light is very good for me (of course quality goes down in low light, but removing jitters is most important for me).
My latest video below shows what it can do in bright daylight. Notice there are a few shots from A2 (wider fov when not in HS mode) and most still videos and pictures are from a Sony camera.

2022-11-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Yaman-Python Posted at 11-4 06:17
Hi, I took my time before "voting". Done.
I have been happy with my OA3 from beginning except for the removal of the wide fov in dewarp mode (RS of A2). So far I have used it in over 6 hikes and numerous tests. My copy is good I think. Battery is amazing, No need to even care about it for my shooting style. Stabilization in low light is very good for me (of course quality goes down in low light, but removing jitters is most important for me).
My latest video below shows what it can do in bright daylight. Notice there are a few shots from A2 (wider fov when not in HS mode) and most still videos and pictures are from a Sony camera.

You have a good camera, didn't look like it was shot with OA3 so you have a good focus on yours
2022-11-4
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

johansenfoto Posted at 11-4 06:32
You have a good camera, didn't look like it was shot with OA3 so you have a good focus on yours

Good to have a confirmation! Thanks.
2022-11-4
Use props
djiuser_QhmNAv75GEhd
New
Germany

hey....i've owned an osmo action 3 since yesterday. i also have the osmo action 1. interval photos and series of photos were very popular. are these settings no longer available in osmo action 3? why? I don't want to constantly make videos and extract the images. Or do I just not find these settings.
2022-11-5
Use props
DaveInMoto
lvl.2
Italy

Astroita87 Posted at 10-31 13:31
Hey Marco, be carefull with ND filter on the A3. You can't use the 180 shutter rule on this action camera because you have EIS ( electronic image stabilization ), It is not like in the drone that you have the Gymbal,  the minimun shutter speed to have no jitter on your videos is 1/320. I tell you this because i have already tested with an ND16 from freewell ( ordered from their website ) and i have to keep AUTO shutter speed and Auto ISO to have video without jitter.

I think i'm gonna buy ND4 and i'm pretty sure this is the sweet spot we can go with the Action 3 though i still have to try the ND8 that i have here with me. But ND16 is for sure way too much stops.

I'm Dave btw XD

I ordered from amazon a set of ND filters from Skyreat. Seems to be in glass and is a pack from ND4 to ND32(i think the max i need is an ND16 to us in very bright day or in summer).

I want to test it out because i want to follow the degree rule for my videos, i like that "cinematic Look".

i shoot in 50p so the shutter has to be set 1/100 and iso from min 100 to max maybe 400 or 800.

we'll see the result when amazon deliver the package.
2022-11-5
Use props
Astroita87
lvl.2
Italy

DaveInMoto Posted at 11-5 04:42
I'm Dave btw XD

I ordered from amazon a set of ND filters from Skyreat. Seems to be in glass and is a pack from ND4 to ND32(i think the max i need is an ND16 to us in very bright day or in summer).

Oh sorry Dave you are right!

Well, consider that i've already tried the 180 rule shutter speed and unfortunately it cannot work with this action camera you will get jittering in your videos.
Action 3 need at least 1/320 shutter speed to have no jittering if you want RS to be ON.

I think i'm gonna use ND4 with Auto shutter speed maybe exposure 1 click less -0.3 ev ( but i don't think i need less EV with an ND filter on ) ISO Auto, WB 5600k 4k/50 Wide. I'll try an ND8 when it's really sunny but for me ND16 was too much dark for my liking
2022-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules