DJI Fly App Crashing on Smart Controller
2615 18 2022-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kcw
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50673 ft

United States

I have an Air 2S and Smart Controller.  After not using it for many months I turned it on yesterday.  Went through many rounds of updates.  Unfortunately the DJI Fly app is frequently crashing.  I tried clearing the cache and data storage for the app, and while the crashes seemed to be less frequent the app is still crashing.

Any ideas on how to resolve the problem?

Aircraft Firmware Version 02.04.2190
RC Firmware Version          01.01.0064
Flysafe Database Version  01.00.01.27
DJI Fly App Version             1.7.5

Thanks

Ken
2022-10-22
Use props
sduck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

Crashing while flying, or just whenever? Is there any common other thing happening when it crashes? Something that might be causing it? I don't have a smart controller, but with my RC Pro I found that it was crashing once in a while, but disabling airsense fixed it.
2022-10-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Uninstall Fly and install 1.7.0 from here - https://drive.google.com/drive/u ... pW_LB7UDL6GevH4WVg5
2022-10-22
Use props
kcw
lvl.2

United States

sduck Posted at 10-22 06:42
Crashing while flying, or just whenever? Is there any common other thing happening when it crashes? Something that might be causing it? I don't have a smart controller, but with my RC Pro I found that it was crashing once in a while, but disabling airsense fixed it.

Thanks for the very prompt feedback.

I have not seen any pattern relative to crashing.  Sometimes it will happen while flying and sometimes while on the ground.  To the best of my recollection I might be doing something with the controller or I might be doing nothing.  Sometimes it will happen many times in succession and sometimes it will be many minutes between crashes.

I can certainly try turning off AirSense to see if it helps but would not be that comfortable flying without it for an extended period of time as it seems to be a pretty important safety feature.
2022-10-22
Use props
kcw
lvl.2

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-22 07:24
Uninstall Fly and install 1.7.0 from here - https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1No6Y6900jugASpW_LB7UDL6GevH4WVg5

Thanks you very much for the prompt feedback.  

I can certainly give  1.7.0 a shot.  Is there a particular reason that you think reverting to 1.7.0 version will resolve the problem?  Is the issue I am seeing a known problem?  Do I also need to revert the aircraft firmware or will 02.04.2190 work with 1.7.0.

2022-10-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

kcw Posted at 10-22 14:42
Thanks you very much for the prompt feedback.  

I can certainly give  1.7.0 a shot.  Is there a particular reason that you think reverting to 1.7.0 version will resolve the problem?  Is the issue I am seeing a known problem?  Do I also need to revert the aircraft firmware or will 02.04.2190 work with 1.7.0.

It is a very well known problem. It happened to me starting with 1.7.4, then 1.7.5 and I was one of the first to report it. After reverting to 1.7.0 no more problems. A couple people advocate just disabling AirSense. I prefer reverting.
2022-10-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we apologize for the inconvenience. Please check whether the remote controller’s external microSD card or internal storage is nearly full. In this case, you need to clear up the remote controller’s internal storage, or remove the microSD card and clear up its internal storage (If you have backed up the data in the microSD card, only format the microSD card and then check if the issue persists). Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-10-22
Use props
kcw
lvl.2

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-22 15:35
It is a very well known problem. It happened to me starting with 1.7.4, then 1.7.5 and I was one of the first to report it. After reverting to 1.7.0 no more problems. A couple people advocate just disabling AirSense. I prefer reverting.

O.K. Great thanks for the feedback.  I also would not be a fan of disabling AirSense as that seems like a pretty important safety feature.

Any idea relative to an ETA for DJI providing a fix?
2022-10-23
Use props
kcw
lvl.2

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-22 23:22
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we apologize for the inconvenience. Please check whether the remote controller’s external microSD card or internal storage is nearly full. In this case, you need to clear up the remote controller’s internal storage, or remove the microSD card and clear up its internal storage (If you have backed up the data in the microSD card, only format the microSD card and then check if the issue persists). Please keep us posted. Thank you.

From looking at Storage Setting under settings on the device, I am currently using:

Internal Storage 1.85GB/11.24GB
SD Card                3.23GB/238GB

so I guess I have plenty of storage.  

What are your thoughts on the AirSense issue mentioned above?  Is that an issue you are aware of?  Is there an ETA for resolving that issue?  In any case, I guess I should test with Airsense turned off before reverting just to confirm that is the issue that I am seeing.

Thoughts on next steps?
2022-10-23
Use props
KeithM6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450400 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also have an Air 2S but am using the RC PRO controller and am having the same issue as Ken with the Smart Controller.  Everything is fine until a manned aircraft is detected which causes the DJI FLY app to shut down immediately.  If I restart the app while the manned aircraft is still in range, the app shuts down immediately. As soon as the manned aircraft is no longer detected, the controller operates normally. Since I fly in an area near a private airport, I want to keep AirSense on. I don't want to roll back the software and lose whatever other upgrades it provides.

Both the SD card and the internal storage have plenty of space available.

Internal Storage 7.1GB/7.1GB
SD Card                56.3GB/238.2GB

Aircraft Firmware Version 02.04.2190
RC Firmware Version          03.01.900
Flysafe Database Version  01.00.01.27
DJI Fly App Version             1.7.5

Thanks
2022-10-24
Use props
kcw
lvl.2

United States

KeithM6 Posted at 10-24 04:57
I also have an Air 2S but am using the RC PRO controller and am having the same issue as Ken with the Smart Controller.  Everything is fine until a manned aircraft is detected which causes the DJI FLY app to shut down immediately.  If I restart the app while the manned aircraft is still in range, the app shuts down immediately. As soon as the manned aircraft is no longer detected, the controller operates normally. Since I fly in an area near a private airport, I want to keep AirSense on. I don't want to roll back the software and lose whatever other upgrades it provides.

Did you really mean you are using 7.1GB of internal?  Assume a typo?

I did not notice that my crashes were only when a plane is in the area.  However, will test with that to confirm if it's the same problem.  Of course, I will need some planes to cooperate I guess!!
2022-10-24
Use props
KeithM6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

kcw Posted at 10-24 07:23
Did you really mean you are using 7.1GB of internal?  Assume a typo?

I did not notice that my crashes were only when a plane is in the area.  However, will test with that to confirm if it's the same problem.  Of course, I will need some planes to cooperate I guess!!

No. There are 7.1GB of internal memory available, (not used), as I'm using the SD card.  In my case, each time a manned aircraft is detected, DJI FLY crashes. As soon as the aircraft is no longer detected, the unit returns to normal operation.
2022-10-24
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

KeithM6 Posted at 10-24 07:47
No. There are 7.1GB of internal memory available, (not used), as I'm using the SD card.  In my case, each time a manned aircraft is detected, DJI FLY crashes. As soon as the aircraft is no longer detected, the unit returns to normal operation.

Uninstall 1.7.5, go here, download 1.7.0 and install it. Until the problem is resolved, this is the best choice,
https://drive.google.com/drive/u ... pW_LB7UDL6GevH4WVg5
2022-10-24
Use props
KeithM6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks, Mobilehomer. I'll give it a try, but how do I uninstall 1.7.5?

2022-10-24
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

KeithM6 Posted at 10-24 08:28
Thanks, Mobilehomer. I'll give it a try, but how do I uninstall 1.7.5?

Go into the RC Pro settings/apps/fly/ tap the three dots(upper right)/ uninstall updates.
Use the browser to go to the site and download 1.7.0
2022-10-24
Use props
KeithM6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

So I went to settings and removed 1.7.5 which brought it back to 1.6.12. I then flew it after turning on the transponder of a nearby airplane I fly and with a steady "manned aircraft nearby" warning was able to fly the Air 2S with no issues. It would appear that it is another DJI problem and until they fix it, the solution is to use the older app version.  Thanks for the help.
2022-10-24
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

KeithM6 Posted at 10-24 10:27
So I went to settings and removed 1.7.5 which brought it back to 1.6.12. I then flew it after turning on the transponder of a nearby airplane I fly and with a steady "manned aircraft nearby" warning was able to fly the Air 2S with no issues. It would appear that it is another DJI problem and until they fix it, the solution is to use the older app version.  Thanks for the help.

Great. Now download and update to 1.7.0, it is better than the older versions.
2022-10-24
Use props
KeithM6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

1.7.0 from the link you provided is now installed and everything is working as designed. Thanks again for your help.
2022-10-24
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

KeithM6 Posted at 10-24 14:47
1.7.0 from the link you provided is now installed and everything is working as designed. Thanks again for your help.

Grimtheviking replied earlier and I have read others are using 1.7.5 with zero problems. So, I tried it again a few minutes ago. Nope, nope nope!!, Immediate crashes. Reinstalled 1.7.0 and am now happy again.
2022-10-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules