The up/down gimbal tilt/pitch control is backwards
2424 19 2022-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Myndex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 218002 ft
United States

I know I am not alone is asking for this, and it has been years (apparently) with users asking for this for various DJI drone products, including the Mini 2.

The up/down gimbal tilt/pitch control on the DJI Mini 2 controller is backwards, at least for what is intuitive for many of us... is it cultural? I don't know, but it is utterly annoying, and I've ruined more than one shot due to the reverse-from-intuitive action of the tilt wheel.

For what it's worth I am also I am also a part 61 pilot (single engine land). In a manned aircraft, you PUSH the yoke to pitch down and PULL the yoke to pitch up. But with the gimbal wheel on the left, you have to PUSH with your finger to pitch UP. The opposite of what is intuitve for any pilot, and probably non-pilots as well.

All that is needed is a software switch to change direction of operation.

I see that many customers have been asking for this for YEARS. I am new to DJI, and to be honest I am a little shocked that something so basic relating to the intitive operaton of the camera is overlooked like this....????!!

PLEASE update the firmware/app to allow reversing the gimbal tilt!!!!!!!

Thank you!

Andy

2022-10-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

You fail to remember that the gimbal wheel controls your "eyes", the camera. Just like your eyes, up is up, down is down. The gimbal is correct.
2022-10-22
Use props
ElectronTC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1240463 ft
United States

i agree they need to let you have a button to invert any of the controls, i just got a mavic 3 and one of the first things i noticed in the menu is there was no invert buttons for the controls, that really does seem like a basic requirement
2022-10-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Whilst I recollect that when I first got a drone the I almost always moved the gimbal the wrong way, I eventually thought of it as putting something on a high shelf. One PUSHes something UP onto that shelf and PULLs it DOWN. Push and pull match the actions of your finger tip on the pitch wheel.
2022-10-22
Use props
Myndex
lvl.2
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-22 10:16
You fail to remember that the gimbal wheel controls your "eyes", the camera. Just like your eyes, up is up, down is down. The gimbal is correct.

No, it is not correct. Push DOWN like with your eyes should be DOWN not up. PULL UP just like with your eyes should be UP not down. Do you have a Mini 2?
2022-10-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. After the engineers' evaluation, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-10-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its all part of learning to fly,  just like learning how the indicators in a car work.
2022-10-23
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 10-23 02:57
Its all part of learning to fly,  just like learning how the indicators in a car work.

And learning which side of the steering column the indicator etc. switch is on lol......I hate 'flashing' the indicators instead of the headlights.
2022-10-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-23 03:04
And learning which side of the steering column the indicator etc. switch is on lol......I hate 'flashing' the indicators instead of the headlights.

I always thought too much flashing was going on.  
2022-10-23
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-23 02:57

No, the indicators aren't going to cause the car to end up in a ditch.
Rotating the steering wheel right causes the car to go to the right. That's intuitive.

What DJI is doing with the pitch control is not intuitive.
2022-10-24
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

NightFlightAlright Posted at 10-24 13:00
No, the indicators aren't going to cause the car to end up in a ditch.
Rotating the steering wheel right causes the car to go to the right. That's intuitive.

The OP is about CAMERA tilt!! Up is up, down is down. How hard is this to understand? It's not a fixed-wing craft. In mode 2, left stick forward is up, left stick back is down. That IS intuitive. You don't drive a car like you fly a plane. do you? The same holds true for a drone.
2022-10-24
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-24 13:10
The OP is about CAMERA tilt!! Up is up, down is down. How hard is this to understand? It's not a fixed-wing craft. In mode 2, left stick forward is up, left stick back is down. That IS intuitive. You don't drive a car like you fly a plane. do you? The same holds true for a drone.

The OP is about camera PITCH or TILT. It does not matter, push a camera and it tilts down, pull it and it tilts up.

The control is backwards. Pushing DOWN makes the camera go UP and pulling UP makes the camera go DOWN. It needs to be the opposite.

Have you ever flown a drone before?

2022-10-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Whilst I recollect that when I first got a drone the I almost always moved the gimbal the wrong way, I eventually thought of it as putting something on a high shelf. One PUSHes something UP onto that shelf and PULLs it DOWN. Push and pull match the actions of my finger tip on the pitch wheel.

I guess it all comes down to how people perceive things, the current system works intutively for me once the above shelf idea 'stuck', it isn't a particularly difficult thing to learn.
2022-10-24
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

NightFlightAlright Posted at 10-24 13:18
The OP is about camera PITCH.

The control is backwards. Pushing DOWN makes the camera go UP and pulling UP makes the camera go DOWN. It needs to be the opposite.

Read you own words - The up/down gimbal tilt control on the DJI
Pitch is the aircraft, tilt is the camera. Have you ever flown a drone before?
2022-10-24
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-24 13:48
Read you own words - The up/down gimbal tilt control on the DJI
Pitch is the aircraft, tilt is the camera. Have you ever flown a drone before?

PITCH is the term that DJI USES, but tilt is exactly the same.
Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 4.06.17 PM.png

You're nothing but a troll. Did you fall on your head as a child?

Go bother someone else and stay away from me.

2022-10-24
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

NightFlightAlright Posted at 10-24 15:10
PITCH is the term that DJI USES, but tilt is exactly the same.[view_image]
You're nothing but a troll. Are you really stupid or something? Did you fall on your head as a child?

Nope, not a troll. But you are obviously incapable of learning.
2022-10-24
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-24 13:42
Whilst I recollect that when I first got a drone the I almost always moved the gimbal the wrong way, I eventually thought of it as putting something on a high shelf. One PUSHes something UP onto that shelf and PULLs it DOWN. Push and pull match the actions of my finger tip on the pitch wheel.

It not about "problem to learn" it is a SIGNIFICANT problem as it is counter to the way EVERY OTHER INTERFACE works.

We should not have to adapt to this, it is DJI who has the responsibility of providing a control reversal switch. It's trivial, and inexcusable that they don't provide it. (trolls notwithstanding).

2022-10-24
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-24 15:17
Nope, not a troll. But you are obviously incapable of learning.

What part of "stay away from me" do you not understand you troll?
2022-10-24
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-24 13:42
Whilst I recollect that when I first got a drone the I almost always moved the gimbal the wrong way, I eventually thought of it as putting something on a high shelf. One PUSHes something UP onto that shelf and PULLs it DOWN. Push and pull match the actions of my finger tip on the pitch wheel.

It is bad UX.
One of the key tenets of good UX is user configurability and user preference.
No amount of "oh you should learn to do it this way" is going to cure this bad UX,
and such statements are anti-UX and therefore notwithstanding.

2022-10-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2022-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules