Phantom circling... battery?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zoyx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8622 ft
United States

New problem for me. I launched to about 6 feet high. My P3P started do a horizontal circle (orbit) that eventually grew to about 10 ft (3m) in diameter. It kept doing the circle, even when I rotated. This was after a compass calibration.

I noticed that the battery power was plummeting. I landed and during the minute or so of checking things, the battery power dropped another 3%. So I decided to swap out to the other battery. No issues with the other battery. I was able to fly up to 200 ft without any weird circles or orbits.

Why would a battery seem to be causing this? Did I catch it in discharge mode? Did the firmware update not take?

2015-8-11
Use props
Zoyx
lvl.2
United States

Update:

Recharged the battery. Flew it in the same spot as I did before, no effect. Flew fine. Same calibration. Weird.

How does discharge mode work with these smart batteries? Is discharge mode supposed to stop when you plug it into your Phantom? Or only when you plug it into the charger?
2015-8-11
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

Battery can't cause your drone circling. make sure you are in gps mode
2015-8-11
Use props
Zoyx
lvl.2
United States

timswimm Posted at 2015-8-12 10:31
Battery can't cause your drone circling. make sure you are in gps mode

I was in GPS mode both times.
2015-8-11
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

Zoyx Posted at 2015-8-12 10:36
I was in GPS mode both times.

oh, that's interesting ! anway it flies good, enjoy)
2015-8-11
Use props
Zoyx
lvl.2
United States

timswimm Posted at 2015-8-12 10:39
oh, that's interesting ! anway it flies good, enjoy)

I guess I am chalking it up to freak interference. The battery thing, was just a coincidence. Still curious if there are other theories out there.
2015-8-11
Use props
EpicDroner
New

Colombia

the "toilet bowl" effect is definitely a compass problem.  check IMU under "compass" to make sure its around 1400 to 1600, best is 1500 before taking off.
2015-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules