RS2 + Sony A7S3 autofocus trigger
1958 4 2022-10-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
waterbottle
lvl.1
Canada

Hey all, I feel like I am SO CLOSE to having an ideal RS2/A7S3 combo rig. I am using the USB-C to USB-C cable to get manual focus control, stop/start function, even charging the camera from the gimbal, using the PC remote function as described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=563CPVFF_SA and here: https://www.dji.com/support/compatibility/rs-2/a7s3 .

But: I cannot get the camera to trigger autofocus using the half-press of the camera control button on the RS2. The manual tells me this should be possible, so does the website, but I have not actually been able to get it to work. I have the camera set to manual focus mode as described in the guides above, and would like to be able to selectively trigger autofocus from the gimbal while I'm in this mode.

Has anyone gotten this to work? What am I missing here? Both camera and gimbal are on the latest firmware versions. Thanks so much!

2022-10-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, there. Sorry for the late reply.
Could you please check the following details and keep us updated?
1. Could you please send us a related video?
2. Please confirm whether app>system status>status list>shutter controller is a tick icon;
3. Please check your camera settings and tell us the machine focus mode settings.
Thank you.
2022-10-30
Use props
Azz3879
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27890 ft
United States

@waterbottle did you ever figure this out? I'm in the same situation and am stumped.
3-8 12:20
Use props
Azz3879
lvl.2
United States

Ok, I think I was able to determine that what we are looking for is not possible.

The half press on the camera control button on the gimbal, is tied to the half press of the shutter button on the A7SIII / A7S3. But, when in "Movie" mode on the A7SIII / A7S3 the option to autofocus via the shutter button does not exist. While in "Movie" mode if you open the menu and go to Focus > AF/MF, "AF w/ Shutter" does not exist, the option is not there. As a result when you half press the control button on the RS2 or the RSC 2 as in my case, half pressing the button has no effect. "But wait a minute Azz3879, it says it's possible on the DJI site and in manual!?!" Indeed it does, but, as it turns out that's only in the still image shooting mode... because the still image shooting mode autofocus settings include "AF w/ Shutter".

So... technically the issue is with the A7SIII not the RS2 / RSC2, and the functionality works in still image mode, which is why DJI can reasonably claim the feature exists.

Lame.
3-8 12:59
Use props
Azz3879
lvl.2
United States

It's seven hours later and I'm back with a better update! Sometimes diligence pays off!!

So as it turns out, you can press the camera control button halfway to initiate auto focus after all. The camera just needs to be in a shooting mode other than Movie!

I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why I could not get this to work. Naturally one would presume that while using a gimbal, you would want a camera to be in Movie mode, as that's where you have the most control over the various motion settings. But just before I was about to give up, I was reading manual and noticed that it indicated if you held down the record control button for an extended period of time it would cause the camera to take still photos, but when I tried that while in Movie mode, it didn't work. That seemed odd, because why would they have included that in the manual if it didn't function? I put the camera in M or manual mode, and held down the record control button which caused the camera to take still photos. Progress! But it wasn't out of the woods yet.

When I pressed the record control button halfway on the gimbal, which should have caused the camera to autofocus it didn't. But then it dawned on me, the record control button was theoretically acting as the shutter button, and I did not have the "AF w/ Shutter" in the menu under Focus > AF/MF  turned on. As soon as I turned AF/ w Shutter on, the record control button began functioning as an auto focus button when pressed halfway!!
3-8 20:33
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules