5181 25 2022-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PA0ZAM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 538796 ft
Netherlands

Hello,

Yes there was some strong winds , But not at low level.
I get strong wind warning, Battary going down to 20% i get forced return to home.

Now there where suddenly gusts of wind with 60 Km/h so i went down asap.

i nearly crashed my drone because after the warning i lose almost 75% of the controlabillity of the drone.
Primarily on the X and Y axis.

Its allmost like every update i get this behaviour gets worse.

I want a reliable drone and i dont want the DJI app decide for me to dial back the controls.
I think i should be free to choose to have 100% control of the drone no matter what circumstances.
If someone doubts there own insight and skills make it an option.

But right now i allmost crashed in my own building had to make an emergency landing in the middel of a busy street while i had 20% batery power left.

This behaviour should be fixed its unacceptable not to mention dangerous.
What if humans are involved and i want to smash in a building instead of someones face?
Well i guess i cant. Ever since firmware 1.4 its nothing more then trouble.

I used to not upgrade but after a replacement under warranty i got an upgraded model.

Would be nice to get my drone back, With the firmware that was on it.

DJI, You need to fix your ... for real.

2022-10-24
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

The situation you're describing is very strange. Please consider that the Mini 2 is not able to fly with winds of 60 km/h and I suspect that the controllability of the drone was reduced while trying to contrast the wind speed.
I suggest to upload the log here: https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ and to share the link on this thread. Some expert user will help you understanding what happened.
2022-10-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always aim to land with at least 25% battery left,   its not healthy for the batteries to be depleted much beyond that.
2022-10-24
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

ALL my batts are set at 25% to warn me and critical levels set at 10%. Never go that low though!
2022-10-24
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mini 2 is not the best drone to deal with high winds.  I would suggest checking the forecast before even taking off for wind speed and gusts.
2022-10-24
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

The DJI Mini 2 isn't good with high winds, especially when they are as high as 60 km/h. Even my Mavic Air 2 is struggling to fly in that wind, even when the battery is full.
You need to understand that the drone's firmware limits the current passed to the drone after it reaches a certain battery level or the motors draw too much current from the battery for safety reasons.

When the battery gets low, its voltage decreases, with sudden gusts of wind, the drone might pull too much power, and damage the cells of the battery. You don't want that, right?
So try to land before getting to 20% battery, ideally at 25-30%. And if there are strong winds, don't fly, or fly with caution. I have experienced it myself when the motor power is reduced when the battery gets low, and it isn't a pleasant experience, I know, you need to be careful when flying the drone with low battery remaining, but DJI is trying to help you to not lose the drone by reducing the speed and agility, so the cell voltages don't go below 3V, and it doesn't just fall (land extremely fast) because of the critical voltage in the cells.
2022-10-24
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not to be a dick but it sounds like we have a pilot not checking flight conditions and weather. Wind gusts of 30+mph is just rediculously stupid to fly a sub 250g drone in and expect the drone to respond correctly; low battery would make it even worse. Lucky you didn't hurt someone. Lots of red flags. Get smarter. ;)
2022-10-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

If you like for better underdstanding what really happend upload your flightlog for this flight.

use > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

post the uploaded link on here

As a mini 1 and 2 owner ; mini2 can handle wind really good  so much better than the mini1

And today in our country really stongs winds, so curious to see the battery consumption and drone pitch angles in this windy flight.

BTW  my drones are to the latest firmware, never had any issue with them. (and i use them a lot)

cheers
JJB

2022-10-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Its allmost like every update i get this behaviour gets worse.
I want a reliable drone and i dont want the DJI app decide for me to dial back the controls.
I think i should be free to choose to have 100% control of the drone no matter what circumstances.

This behaviour should be fixed its unacceptable not to mention dangerous.
There has been no change to battery behaviour in firmware updates.
What you described suggests that the battery level was less than 20%.
When the battery gets to very low levels, it's quite normal to have restricted control because there is not enough power in the battery to flay as you would like and still land safely.

One would have to check the cell voltages shown in the flight data to properly understand what actually happened.

2022-10-24
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

Another gentleman that do not understand how a drone works, he posts complaints based on nothing and when asked to provide more details he disappears ...
2022-10-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we apologize for the inconvenience caused. According to the Low Battery Return-To-Home logic of the DJI Mini 2, the drone will determine the current battery level's sufficiency to return home based on the current location. Low Battery RTH is triggered when the battery level is depleted to the point where the safe return can be affected. The aircraft will automatically land if the battery level is extremely low. The action cannot be canceled but the remote controller can still be used to reduce the descent speed or adjust the direction of the aircraft. Moreover, please be reminded that the maximum wind speed resistance of the Mini 2 is only up to 8.5-10.5 m/s (Scale 5). You may refer to this link to check the specs: {https://www.dji.com/mini-2/specs}. We suggest that you pay attention to the battery level and wind conditions to ensure a safe flight. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-10-25
Use props
PA0ZAM
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI Tony Posted at 10-25 09:26
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we apologize for the inconvenience caused. According to the Low Battery Return-To-Home logic of the DJI Mini 2, the drone will determine the current battery level's sufficiency to return home based on the current location. Low Battery RTH is triggered when the battery level is depleted to the point where the safe return can be affected. The aircraft will automatically land if the battery level is extremely low. The action cannot be canceled but the remote controller can still be used to reduce the descent speed or adjust the direction of the aircraft. Moreover, please be reminded that the maximum wind speed resistance of the Mini 2 is only up to 8.5-10.5 m/s (Scale 5). You may refer to this link to check the specs: {https://www.dji.com/mini-2/specs}. We suggest that you pay attention to the battery level and wind conditions to ensure a safe flight. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Well as of now i lost my drone with the same issue.
Fog came rushing in and the drone sensor kept thinking it was low to the ground, This time i tried landing immediately. But the drone just prompted "Landing" and then canceled wile in mid air.
Then it started climbing beyond the 500meter limit for sure.
Pushing down the stick did nothing i could only turn the drone but not go down forward back or sideways.
And as if it was in ATTY mode it drifted away from me with the wind and at about 1.2km away it sayd propeller cant rotate because of low battery and it splashed in the ocean.

The wind speed at ground level was no where near the limit.

So what happens now? I probably have to pay for fly away protection?
Wile it definitely is a flaw in firmware. Cant go down because the sensor thinks its near ground level.
2022-11-25
Use props
PA0ZAM
lvl.1
Netherlands

FabioV Posted at 10-25 04:56
Another gentleman that do not understand how a drone works, he posts complaints based on nothing and when asked to provide more details he disappears ...

You might want to reconsider your answer,  My message and lack of reply tells you nohing about my personal skills and understanding.

What i understand is that the downward vision sensor has its flaws in firmware, As it thinks fog is ground and it just goes up.
2022-11-25
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

I'm not sure we can complain about DJI in this case. No drone in the "consumer" range is rated for flying in fog. You may need to switch to M30 / M300 for such extreme conditions. Although neither is rated for 60 km/h wind.

Good luck !
2022-11-25
Use props
ZOOF
lvl.4
Flight distance : 566804 ft
United States

This has not been my experience. No matter what the bottom sensor thinks. If you lower and hold the stick it will go into landing mode and land. Try this test. Hover the drone and put your hand under it. It will rise to avoid hitting your hand. Now do the same thing and hold the left stick down. It will go into landing mode and land on your hand. Don’t understand how the fog caused your crash. Can you up load the flight log?
2022-11-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

PA0ZAM Posted at 11-25 06:52
Fog came rushing in and the drone sensor kept thinking it was low to the ground, This time i tried landing immediately. But the drone just prompted "Landing" and then canceled wile in mid air.

Hi,

If you like  upload your flightlog for this issue

use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
post the uploaded link on here

With the botom sensor measures false height of 0.5 meter AND stick down it will enter a forcedlanding.\Cancel is done by Up stick.

Log will explain, climbing to 500 meters?  well   log will tell more...

cheers
JJB
2022-11-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is a pity he didn't upload the log one month ago, 24/10/2022, when he was twice asked to post it. Who knows he might have had a problem pointed out to him and perhaps avoided the loss of the drone.
2022-11-25
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

PA0ZAM Posted at 11-25 06:56
You might want to reconsider your answer,  My message and lack of reply tells you nohing about my personal skills and understanding.

What i understand is that the downward vision sensor has its flaws in firmware, As it thinks fog is ground and it just goes up.

Yes, you’re right. Your lack of reply tells me nothing about your skills, but it tells a lot about your fairness to people that are available to help you.

Now you’re back after one month and you started complaining again. Let’s see if this time you’ll post the logs …
2022-11-25
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Some men, you just can't reach.

So you get what we had here last week -- which is the way he wants it.

Well, he gets it.

And I don't like it anymore than you men.
2022-11-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

PA0ZAM Posted at 11-25 06:52

Hi there, PA0ZAM. We are sorry to hear about the accident. We highly suggest you submit a Flyaway Report and request a Data Analysis. Our related team will be able to investigate the cause of the crash based on your flight records. Please note that warranty service can be applied depending on the result of the assessment. You may submit your request through this link: {https://repair.dji.com/repair/flyaway}. If you need further details about the process, you may contact our Customer Support at (support.dji.com). Thank you for your continued support.
2022-11-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-26 02:15..........  Something unusual is happening with your bird.

Not any more it ain't ..... unless you count taking diving lessons.

BTW do you not find horizontal speeds to be significantly reduced at very low battery levels?
2022-11-26
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-26 02:15
Regularly fly my drones, including the Mini, Mini 2, & Mini 3 to under 10%, a few times under 0%, & never experienced a loss of control.  At 10% or less you have to apply throttle to maintain altitude, but horizontal control is unaffected.  It will even still ascend.  Something unusual is happening with your bird.

Same experience here, but max speed is reduced with real low battery values
2022-11-26
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

He disappeared again without posting any logs ...
Maybe he'll come back in a month for Christmas wishes ...
2022-11-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just let the thread sink into the abyss.....along with the drone.
2022-11-28
Use props
djiuser_Xt0QzSktPefC
New
Switzerland

I fully agree with OP.
This setting is dangerous and caused my drone to crash!

I fly my FPV drone in manual mode on an open field.
Gradually draining the battery.
Just as I try to make a sharp left in front of some trees standing at the side of the field,  low battery warning comes in and takes me the necessary move ability to make the turn.
The drone slows down and moves into the crown of the tree, where it so far only scratched some branches.
But now there is no way to maneuver it slowly out.
I tried, but at somepoint the props hit some branches and the auto counter move of the drone maneuvered it right in some other ones and then it crashed down on a walk way.

Luckily no one was hurt, but it messed my drone up pretty bad and I can't fix it in two days for the original purpose I bought it in the first place.

I can't imagine what though caused someone, to program such bull....
Sure, was I aware of the crashing risk, but I did not expect, that I get my control taken away...
2022-12-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did the FPV issue you with a low battery warning at some point and attempt to start an RTH? If so did you ignorethe warning and cancel or prevent the RTH?
If so, who is to blame for the fact that the drone ran out of useful juice?
If you did not know of this behaviour then why not?  

It is documented in the manual on page 18
"The aircraft will land automatically if the current battery level can only support the aircraft long enough to descend
from its current altitude. Auto landing cannot be canceled, but the remote controller can be used to alter the
direction of the aircraft during the landing process"
and elsewhere, including the fact that significant throttle will be needed to keep the drone in the air and maintain height and that you are flying on a short term emergency reserve.

2022-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules