RS3: huge roll problem, shaky footage.. not reliable.
12Next >
14007 55 2022-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vitor G.D.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70499 ft
Brazil

I was in the middle of a job when the roll axis became off by 1.5⁰. I don't know what happened, but I just used the manual tuning to compensate and kept filmming. After some time, it went off again. But when I opened the manual tuning it was set to zero and suddently the roll axis became in place. Also, whatching the footage at home (big screen), I noticed that the same axis couldn't handle a simple walking forward movement. I was walking as smooth as I could, but every time my foot touched the ground, the roll quickly went slightly off and back on, just in time to do the same in the next step.

I know the gimbal will not stabilize Z axis, but this is about the roll.. it was shaking. I didn't had the problem with the Crane 2.
Everything was well balanced and tuned.
At home I couldn't reproduce the first problem. Is that a firmware problem or is my unit defective?
I was using a simple XT3 + 18-55 2.8-4 lens.
"Briefcase" mode with the combo's handle.

The roll isn't reliable at all... The RS3 isn't cheap and it's unaceptable that my Crane 2 had to replace it on a job...

2022-10-24
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, there.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We will check this problem asap and keep you updated here.
Please don't worry, and if there is anything else that we can help with, please let us know.
Thank you.
2022-10-30
Use props
Vitor G.D.
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Natalia Posted at 10-30 22:49
Hi, there.

Thanks.
I hope DJI can answer about it soon. Til then, I'm not using my rs3
2022-10-30
Use props
Magic Film
lvl.2
  • >>>
South Korea

DJI Natalia Posted at 10-30 22:49
Hi, there.

same problem here just like this video.  RS3 Pro with sony M4& sigma 28-70,and Bmpcc 6k&sigma 18-35.
RS2 look like better.
甚至我买了第二套RS3 Pro
2022-10-31
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Vitor G.D. Posted at 10-30 23:19
Thanks.
I hope DJI can answer about it soon. Til then, I'm not using my rs3

Update:
Please check the following details:
1.  Please balance your machine.
2. Ensure that the knobs on the gimbal are tightened. Check whether the connectors are obstructed by foreign objects.
3. Auto Tune: Go to the Ronin app and enter Auto Tune. There are three tuning aggressiveness profiles so you can adjust the stiffness value: High, Mid, and Low.
After Auto Tune, you can see detailed motor diagnosis at the bottom of the page. If the gimbal is properly balanced, the power value of the motors should be in the range of ±5. If the power consumption on a particular axis constantly goes beyond the range, balance the gimbal again.
4. Mounting lens support: It is recommended that you mount the lens support, if you haven’t done so.
5. Launch the DJI Ronin app and go to “User Profile”. Select Pan Follow mode and increase the deadband and decrease the sensitivity.
6. If there is no vibration when the gimbal rotates, manually adjust the stiffness of the pan motor.
7. Please try to enable the anti-shake function of the camera and lens
2022-10-31
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Magic Film Posted at 10-31 09:58
same problem here just like this video.  RS3 Pro with sony M4& sigma 28-70,and Bmpcc 6k&sigma 18-35.
RS2 look like better.
甚至我买了第二套RS3 Pro

Hi, there. If you meet the same problem, please check the following details:
2. Ensure that the knobs on the gimbal are tightened. Check whether the connectors are obstructed by foreign objects.
3. Auto Tune: Go to the Ronin app and enter Auto Tune. There are three tuning aggressiveness profiles so you can adjust the stiffness value: High, Mid, and Low.
After Auto Tune, you can see detailed motor diagnosis at the bottom of the page. If the gimbal is properly balanced, the power value of the motors should be in the range of ±5. If the power consumption on a particular axis constantly goes beyond the range, balance the gimbal again.
4. Mounting lens support: It is recommended that you mount the lens support, if you haven’t done so.
5. Launch the DJI Ronin app and go to “User Profile”. Select Pan Follow mode and increase the deadband and decrease the sensitivity.
6. If there is no vibration when the gimbal rotates, manually adjust the stiffness of the pan motor.
7. Please try to enable the anti-shake function of the camera and lens
2022-10-31
Use props
Vitor G.D.
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Natalia Posted at 10-31 20:10
Update:
Those solutions are in the manual and I already read it when I bought the product. As I said: everything was balanced and tuned accordingly.

Forgot to mention: I was using PTF mode. It wasn't supposed to "roll" like that either, right?

About the 7th tho... Is DJI telling me to rely on my camera stabilization?
2022-10-31
Use props
Vitor G.D.
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Natalia Posted at 10-31 20:10
Update:

Guys, I believe the problem is yours. Please help us.
IMG_20221101_042137.jpg
2022-10-31
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Vitor G.D. Posted at 10-31 23:24
Guys, I believe the problem is yours. Please help us.

Thanks for the updated information.
Could you please provide information such as the adjusted strength, the following mode you used, etc.?
Also if you confirm there is a problem, you can send it back via this link https://www.dji.com/support/repair  and we will check it and keep you updated asap.
2022-11-1
Use props
Vitor G.D.
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-1 00:36
Thanks for the updated information.
Could you please provide information such as the adjusted strength, the following mode you used, etc.?
Also if you confirm there is a problem, you can send it back via this link https://www.dji.com/support/repair  and we will check it and keep you updated asap.

Sure.

Briefcase mode, mostly. Standart auto tune

May I ask if this noise is normal? I felt this wobble through the grip while operating with the same setup, but in Supersmooth. Every knob was tightened, the gimbal and motors were on and it looked like it was comming from the body's inner axis (sorry, I don't know how to describe it, haha):
https://youtube.com/shorts/_4M31GJMOCg?feature=share

Thanks!
2022-11-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Thanks for the update.Please do not lock the axis lock and see if the problem still exists.
Please keep us updated on your issue.
2022-11-3
Use props
Vitor G.D.
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-3 19:40
Thanks for the update.Please do not lock the axis lock and see if the problem still exists.

Not locked, same problem. Did you have any feedback on this last video? Is this gap in the axis normal?
2022-11-4
Use props
Vitor G.D.
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-3 19:40

Reducing the stiffness solved the wobble noise problem showed in the last video. But I had to reduce it bellow the normal auto tune recomendation and waay bellow supersmooth's. That will be a problem in a car or something similar: If I turn the stiffness down, the gimbal will not respond well... if I use supersmooth, it will shake due to this "loose" axis. I'm really lost here, haha
2022-11-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Vitor G.D. Posted at 11-4 21:24
Reducing the stiffness solved the wobble noise problem showed in the last video. But I had to reduce it bellow the normal auto tune recomendation and waay bellow supersmooth's. That will be a problem in a car or something similar: If I turn the stiffness down, the gimbal will not respond well... if I use supersmooth, it will shake due to this "loose" axis. I'm really lost here, haha

Thanks for the update.
We will confirm this problem with our engineer and reply to you here asap.
Please wait for our update.
And if there is anything else that we can help with, please let us know.
Thank you.
2022-11-5
Use props
Vitor G.D.
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-5 18:59
Thanks for the update.
We will confirm this problem with our engineer and reply to you here asap.
Please wait for our update.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to solve this

New info: I tested the auto tune again and the last problem is only happening in Supersmooth, despite the stiffness. It does get better at lower values, but the wobble/gap in the axis still there. In normal auto tune I can increase the stiffness value to the point of the motor start to vibrate, without getting that gap/wobble.Also, I'm running with firmware 1.00...0. There's a post here talking about an update, but it doesn't show in the app (running with the latest firmware, android and IOS).

Please tell me if my english is making anything difficult to understand, hahaha. I'm working on it!
2022-11-6
Use props
Avenue1
lvl.1
United States

I've had a similar issue using a GH5S with a lens that does not have IS. There are almost always micro jitters in the roll axis that seem to happen no matter what adjustments I make. Even with "Supersmooth" enabled I see them. It's worse when I'm outside and there's a breeze. Unfortunately, I think most YouTubers and reviewers test these gimbals out with IBIS and IS enabled. If you don't have a camera with those, it can really cause some issues.
2022-11-7
Use props
Vitor G.D.
lvl.2
Brazil

Avenue1 Posted at 11-7 20:26
I've had a similar issue using a GH5S with a lens that does not have IS. There are almost always micro jitters in the roll axis that seem to happen no matter what adjustments I make. Even with "Supersmooth" enabled I see them. It's worse when I'm outside and there's a breeze. Unfortunately, I think most YouTubers and reviewers test these gimbals out with IBIS and IS enabled. If you don't have a camera with those, it can really cause some issues.
Agree! I'm really curious about what they're gonna say about this problem. After years using Zhiyun products I bought this DJI thinking it would be an upgrade and not a big mistake. I already lost half a day of shooting because of it and my old (and half the price) Crane 2 did much better... saved the day. I should've stayed with Zhiyun..
2022-11-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Vitor G.D. Posted at 11-7 20:44
Agree! I'm really curious about what they're gonna say about this problem. After years using Zhiyun products I bought this DJI thinking it would be an upgrade and not a big mistake. I already lost half a day of shooting because of it and my old (and half the price) Crane 2 did much better... saved the day. I should've stayed with Zhiyun..

Update:
We are deeply sorry for the late reply and for the inconvenience caused.
We have confirmed this problem with the team, if you still meet this problem when you did not turn on the axis lock and are also using the normal mode for calibrating, we recommend that you send it back for testing.
Please don't worry, we will check your product and keep you updated via Email.
2022-11-9
Use props
Vitor G.D.
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-9 02:18
Update:
We are deeply sorry for the late reply and for the inconvenience caused.
We have confirmed this problem with the team, if you still meet this problem when you did not turn on the axis lock and are also using the normal mode for calibrating, we recommend that you send it back for testing.

Hey!
Don't worry about the time and thank you for looking into it

- Which problem is confirmed? The wobble noise in the supersmooth mode (last video) or the shaky footage (first video)?
- Are you asking if I have the axis locked while the gimbal is on or just before I turn it on? For the videos I was using the locks and the gimbal auto unlock.
- In normal mode I still have some shaky footage (1st video) like everybody else, but no wobble noise in the axis (2nd video).. this one I only have in supersmooth. Should I return it? It'll be solved through firmware update?

Thank you guys again!
2022-11-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Vitor G.D. Posted at 11-9 04:51
Hey!

Thanks for the reply.
We have confirmed your problem with the relevant team.
The wobble noise in the supersmooth mode (last video) is normal, please don't worry.
For the problem of the shaky footage (first video), if you tried the suggestions above and still meet this problem, please send us your product. Here is the link: https://www.dji.com/support/repair
2022-11-11
Use props
Carlosfilmve
lvl.1
Flight distance : 705030 ft
Venezuela

DJI Natalia Posted at 2022-11-11 18:35
Thanks for the reply.
The wobble noise in the supersmooth mode (last video) is normal, please don't worry.

Hello, I have the same problem no matter how hard I try to make moves. It is unstable. I have already checked a lot the configuration and I don't know what you do.

I come from a Ronin S and did not have this problem.
2023-2-17
Use props
Carlosfilmve
lvl.1
Venezuela

Vitor G.D. Posted at 2022-11-9 04:51
Hey!

did you have a solution?
2023-2-17
Use props
Vitor G.D.
lvl.2
Brazil

Carlosfilmve Posted at 2-17 06:47
did you have a solution?

Nah. The best I got from DJI was: don't use SuperSmooth; don't turn the gimbal on with the axis locks locked. Wasted money on DJI.
2023-2-17
Use props
Vitor G.D.
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Natalia Posted at 2022-11-11 18:35
Thanks for the reply.

Hey,
There's a lot of people with the same issue. Don't u guys think it's a RS3 model problem and not just a "some units" problem? Time for a recall? I'd love to send mine for testing, but there's also a lot of people saying the gimbal came back after it with DJI saying that they couldn't find anything wrong with the gimbal
2023-2-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Vitor G.D. Posted at 2-17 07:29
Hey,
There's a lot of people with the same issue. Don't u guys think it's a RS3 model problem and not just a "some units" problem? Time for a recall? I'd love to send mine for testing, but there's also a lot of people saying the gimbal came back after it with DJI saying that they couldn't find anything wrong with the gimbal

Hi, there. Sorry for the belated reply.
For your problem, if you tried the above suggestions and still can not solve it, it is suggested to send us your product for a further check. Then we can check the problem and keep you updated.
Besides, we will also forward your feedback to the relevant team asap.
Thank you.
2023-2-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Carlosfilmve Posted at 2-17 06:46
Hello, I have the same problem no matter how hard I try to make moves. It is unstable. I have already checked a lot the configuration and I don't know what you do.

I come from a Ronin S and did not have this problem.

Hi, there.
We are sorry for your inconvenience.
May we know if you meet the same problem (unstable) with your DJI RS3 and tried the above steps (on the floors 5# and 18#) already?Please keep us updated on your problem.
Thanks in advance.
2023-2-19
Use props
Carlosfilmve
lvl.1
Venezuela

DJI Natalia Posted at 2-19 23:04
Hi, there.
We are sorry for your inconvenience.
May we know if you meet the same problem (unstable) with your DJI RS3 and tried the above steps (on the floors 5# and 18#) already?Please keep us updated on your problem.

Yes, I have the same problem, no matter how stable I make the movements, it fails.

I have tried everything possible and still.

As I said my previous ronin S did not have this problem.
2023-2-20
Use props
Carlosfilmve
lvl.1
Venezuela

This gimbal is said to stabilize with lenses up to 200mm.

Which I think is a lie. Because even with my 16mm lens you can notice this big flaw.
2023-2-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Carlosfilmve Posted at 2-20 13:59
Yes, I have the same problem, no matter how stable I make the movements, it fails.

I have tried everything possible and still.

Thanks for your timely update.
If you tried the above steps and still meet the same problem, please send us your RS3 for further check. Here is the link:  https://repair.dji.com/repair/index?site=brandsite&from=nav After you submit the case, we will keep you updated via Email. Thank you for your understanding.

2023-2-20
Use props
Carlosfilmve
lvl.1
Venezuela

DJI Natalia Posted at 2-20 17:12
Thanks for your timely update.
If you tried the above steps and still meet the same problem, please send us your RS3 for further check. Here is the link:  https://repair.dji.com/repair/index?site=brandsite&from=nav After you submit the case, we will keep you updated via Email. Thank you for your understanding.

No tengo posibilidad de hacer eso ya que soy de venezuela y no puedo quedarme sin esta herramienta
2023-2-22
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

Was the gimbal balanced properly?
2023-2-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Carlosfilmve Posted at 2-22 10:09
No tengo posibilidad de hacer eso ya que soy de venezuela y no puedo quedarme sin esta herramienta

Sorry for the belated reply.
For your problem, you can try to contact the local reseller for further help.
Thank you for your understanding.
2023-2-23
Use props
djiuser_M5VuCi7d0vPJ
New

France

I also encounter the same issues, and I have tried your solutions. Nothing works..
2023-3-29
Use props
BigDuck
New

United Kingdom

So pleased to see this thread - I was about to buy the RS-3, so I am kind of sorry it does not work. Anyways, you have saved me $800.

Which Zhiyun do you recommend for GH5/6?
2023-3-30
Use props
Vitor G.D.
lvl.2
Brazil

BigDuck Posted at 3-30 09:34
So pleased to see this thread - I was about to buy the RS-3, so I am kind of sorry it does not work. Anyways, you have saved me $800.

Which Zhiyun do you recommend for GH5/6?
Don't buy it. A lot of people have this issue and they still asking us to send the gimbal for repair. They will not admit the RS3 have this problem and will not make an easy replacement. We can't stop our work so they can keep the gimbal for 1+ months just to send it back with the same issue, as some have reported. The only thing you'll get is a headache, tons of suggestions that'll not work and if you decide to repair it, no gimbal to work with for some time.
The last zhiyun I used was the Crane 2. The grip and app are worse than RS3's, but does better in the stabilization. I suggest u to rent some models and test the new ones before buying - lesson learned with DJI, haha

2023-3-30
Use props
fans57032b37
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18517 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The roll axis on my rs3 Pro is not smooth during movement in fpv mode, the pan and tilt works beautiful.
Why can’t I change the smoothness for the regular movements and only for the joystick movement??
2023-5-3
Use props
UNKNOWNDJI
lvl.2
Australia

I am having the similar issue. DJI RS3 PRO stabilization is UNSTABLE

This is my thread :
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=286848

Many people are having this issues and it's time to recall.
2023-5-20
Use props
fansf0db73aa
lvl.1
Canada

Same issue here. Crazy amount of side to side wobble on the RS3 Pro roll axis. I’ve spent the last week trying to diagnose the exact cause of this issue and haven’t gotten anywhere. Sadly, I sold and upgraded from a perfectly working RS2 and will likely have to re-buy a new RS2 this coming week.

Camera package is perfectly balanced and I’ve verified this on the balance screen on the gimbal. All knobs are tightened to the point my fingers hurt. I’ve enabled supersmooth, I’ve disabled it, increased and decreased motor strength. No matter what I do, the roll wobble is there.

Like the OP mentions, when in Supersmooth mode, either the roll or pan axis are prone to hard clicks while operating, mine don’t make a noise but you can feel it by just pushing the camera while the motors are going, you feel a hard “click” response.

There are a lot of features to like, but the main purpose of this tool doesn’t work as it should or even as good as the older model.
2023-5-20
Use props
Vitor G.D.
lvl.2
Brazil

They won't do a recall. They're gonna release a new model and forget about us. A lot of people having this issue and DJI's just playing around. Just met a DoP and he also saw this problem with a rs3 and a rs3 pro. Cmon, DJI... u can do better than that.
2023-5-20
Use props
fans4532f446
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I’m having the same issue with my rs3 pro the pan Motors move left to right no matter what I do …why is this gimbal so impossible to do pushes with …completely aggravating
2023-6-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules