AIR 2S RC USB-C cable orientation issues
1543 14 2022-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mlkmade
lvl.1

United States

Today I noticed that my phone wasn't getting charge/signal from the RC when plugged in via the stock USB-C cable.

I tried several known working cables, including the stock OEM samsung cables that I use to charge my phone normally.

I discovered that all the cables, DJI, samsung, 3rd party, all work fine as advertised when plugged into other things. But when plugged into the AIR 2S RC, it only works in one orientation.

I know this is crazy because USB-C is reversable but for some reason I have to flip it so the right angle connector is facing up. Prior to this, I always had it facing down and it was never an issue.

Again, it's not a cable issue. I have a 3rd party Power bank that I tested all the cables with, including the DJI cable, and the orientation never mattered to charge my phone.

Its only when plugged into the RC that this behaviour is happening and it's only a recent behaviour, never happened before. Is my RC broken?

2022-10-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The first thing that occurs to me is to ask three questions.
1) Are you certain that you have the DJI controller-to-phone cable plugged into the correct port in the controller? One port is just a blind hole for storage of the other end of the cable.
2) Is your phone USB-C and if so
3) are you certain you have the correct end of the DJI cable plugged into the controller? The controller end of the cable has a difficult-to-see controller symbol on it.
2022-10-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there mlkmade. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please post a short sample video showing the issue for us to be able to see and can give out the best recommendation and solution for this issue. Thank you.
2022-10-24
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 980066 ft
Italy

I kindly suggest to turn of the phone and the RC and to gently clean the USB-C sockets with a tooth pick and compressed air. Many times some dust accumulate into the sockets, preventing some of the contacts..
2022-10-24
Use props
mlkmade
lvl.1

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-24 21:45
The first thing that occurs to me is to ask three questions.
1) Are you certain that you have the DJI controller-to-phone cable plugged into the correct port in the controller? One port is just a blind hole for storage of the other end of the cable.
2) Is your phone USB-C and if so

The first thing that occurs to me is to ask you one question.

Did you read anything that I wrote?

Had you did, you wouldn't need to ask any of those questions.

"Today I noticed.." , "Prior to this, ... never an issue." and  "never happened before" would imply that up until today, my AIR2S has been operating normally with the USB-C cable I've always used.
2022-10-24
Use props
mlkmade
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-24 21:56
Hello there mlkmade. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please post a short sample video showing the issue for us to be able to see and can give out the best recommendation and solution for this issue. Thank you.

I dont see what a sample video could show you that text cannot describe.

I have to flip the orientation of the USB-C cable so when I'm plugging it into my phone, the right angle connector is facing up. Everything works, the DJI app opens itself, the phone charges and I can fly and see the camera and everything works as normal.

If I have the orientation of the USB-C cable when I'm plugging it into my phone right angle connector facing down, my phone will not recongnize the RC is plugged in, the phone will not charge and the DJI app won't auto-open or show me live view of the drone camera.

Ive been flying this since AIR2S launched and the cable orientation never mattered until today.

tldr:

right angle up, do work.

right angle down, dont work.

New behavior.
2022-10-24
Use props
mlkmade
lvl.1

United States

FabioV Posted at 10-24 22:06
I kindly suggest to turn of the phone and the RC and to gently clean the USB-C sockets with a tooth pick and compressed air. Many times some dust accumulate into the sockets, preventing some of the contacts..

I can use the DJI cable to charge my phone directly from a wall adapter/power brick as mentioned.

My phone is not the issue. For whatever reason the RC is sensitive to cable orientation of the phone side, when it wasn't before. It makes absolutely no sense.
2022-10-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mlkmade Posted at 10-24 22:08
The first thing that occurs to me is to ask you one question.
Did you read anything that I wrote?

Yes I did read your post, several times in fact. With your attitude I wish I hadn't wasted my time trying to help you.  
None of my question are irrelevant. It's not unheard of for people to completely remove the cable from the controller and I have seen the subject of questions 1 and 3 being the cause of phone connection problems with the RC231 controller and a USB-C phone. Besides DJI mark the controller end of the cable for some reason. Just for the record my phone is micro USB to I can't put the wrong plug into the RC231 controller.
2022-10-24
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 980066 ft
Italy

mlkmade Posted at 10-24 22:31
I can use the DJI cable to charge my phone directly from a wall adapter/power brick as mentioned.

My phone is not the issue. For whatever reason the RC is sensitive to cable orientation of the phone side, when it wasn't before. It makes absolutely no sense.

And the RC ? It has a socket too ...
2022-10-24
Use props
dreamtuner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068376 ft
Bangladesh

Try testing the cables to connect the RC to a PC and confirm via Assistant 2. If every cable works fine, then your RC's USB-C output end might have gone bad.  
2022-10-24
Use props
mlkmade
lvl.1

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-24 22:43
Yes I did read your post, several times in fact. With your attitude I wish I hadn't wasted my time trying to help you.  
None of my question are irrelevant. It's not unheard of for people to completely remove the cable from the controller and I have seen the subject of questions 1 and 3 being the cause of phone connection problems with the RC231 controller and a USB-C phone. Besides DJI mark the controller end of the cable for some reason. Just for the record my phone is micro USB to I can't put the wrong plug into the RC231 controller.

You asked me if I knew what kind of cable my phone used. Like my guy, are you serious?

You wasted your own time.

2022-10-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mlkmade Posted at 10-24 23:23
You asked me if I knew what kind of cable my phone used. Like my guy, are you serious?
You wasted your own time.

Obviously I wasted my time but really, you think I asked if you knew what kind of cable your phone used, where please?
Perhaps you would care to read what I typed again, the only question actually asked that comes close to that WAS, "2) Is your phone USB-C". You even quoted that in your reply of post number 5.
I think most people would take the actual question asked to mean that I was asking what type of connection you phone phone was fitted with.

If you wish to critique a question then question 1) "Are you certain that you have the DJI controller-to-phone cable plugged into the correct port in the controller?" would have been the better choice, since, in your opening post, you said "But when plugged into the AIR 2S RC, it only works in one orientation." That would be impossible if the cable where plugged into the storage hole, there would be nothing for the cable to conduct. But I have read at least one thread where someone was asking why their phone wouldn't connect to an RC231 controller and it turned out that they had the cable inserted into the storage hole rather than the USB-C socket, hence my reason for asking.

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 12.39.24.png
2022-10-25
Use props
sduck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

Given the OP's responses, there's no way I'm going to participate in this thread.
2022-10-25
Use props
Viridis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2383556 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would suggest cleaning the usb c port on your phone using a toothbrush and a little isopropyl alcohol.
Looks like one of the data contacts on one side is not making the connection.
2022-10-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

mlkmade Posted at 10-24 22:13
I dont see what a sample video could show you that text cannot describe.

I have to flip the orientation of the USB-C cable so when I'm plugging it into my phone, the right angle connector is facing up. Everything works, the DJI app opens itself, the phone charges and I can fly and see the camera and everything works as normal.

Hi there mlkmade. Thank you for the reply and for these additional information. Since we are having this issue with your DJI Remote Controller. Kindly please contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance and for us to be able to know what is causing this issue on your DJI Air 2S Remote Controller. Please rest assured that we will do our best to help and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for this trouble and thank you.
2022-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules