Future Feature Requests
1933 34 2022-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

I know DJI monitors and takes suggestions from these forums.

I thought it might be a good idea to start a list of reasonable feature requests that could possibly be added in future firmware updates.  I'll go first, lol.

• Audio Level Adjustment.  I'd like to see a wider range of audio level adjustment, specifically the option to reduce the mic gain when using an external microphone.  The current range is 0 to +20 db.  Personally, I think the ability to go down to -6 db would be nice.  This would allow the use of slightly hotter external microphones without clipping the audio.
  • Image Sharpening Options.  I'd like to see a setting to adjust the in-camera sharpening.  I know this has been a hot topic because of focus issues, but regardless of lens focus, it would be nice to be able to adjust the level of sharpening the camera is applying to the video.  Something simple like off, low, normal, and high.
  • Auto Exposure Options.  I'd like to see an option to slow the speed of auto exposure changes.  Leave the fast changes as one option, but add another option to slightly slow the changes.  This would allow for less jarring auto exposure jumps when rapidly moving in and out of shade, for example.

That's what I have so far.
2022-10-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there BigTB. Good day and thank you for giving out these information. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI Osmo Action 3 and DJI Mimo application updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you.
2022-10-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Dji usually have applied good decent audio to their smaller cameras. So hoping they improve and optimize this. In the go4 app control was always there for contrast sharpening etc up 1,2,3. I don’t see why they cannot set this in the mimo app.
2022-10-25
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi BigTB
would u plz name the external mic u are using?
For external mic, its default audio level has been tuned by the manufacture and it should suits its designed usecase. That is what OA3 +0db receives.
Usually the reason why to turn down audio is the audio gain is too high and reach the point of distortion or clipping.
If so,  we cannot count to the camera to tune down audio level because the audio input from external mic is already too high and loses content.
Change the external mic itself audio gain is a valid solution.
That's why OA3 does not has a minus gain setting.
Anyway plz let us know the mic u are using and we shall test it.

For the sharpness, we are working on it.
For the exposure speed, It really requires the user has a comprehensive understanding of the shooting senoria.  Thanks for the advice and we may consider it.

2022-10-25
Use props
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

DJI-ytao Posted at 10-25 23:41
Hi BigTB
would u plz name the external mic u are using?
For external mic, its default audio level has been tuned by the manufacture and it should suits its designed usecase. That is what OA3 +0db receives.

DJI-ytao,

I was using a Movo USB C to 3.5mm adapter and a Sennheiser ME II lavalier microphone.  It is not a powered microphone with an adjustable gain.

Thanks.
2022-10-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

BigTB Posted at 10-26 02:55
DJI-ytao,

I was using a Movo USB C to 3.5mm adapter and a Sennheiser ME II lavalier microphone.  It is not a powered microphone with an adjustable gain.

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. Would you mind recording an original video for us? It would be really helpful for us if the video can show us the external mic is already under 0 db settings but the ultimate audio level is not so ideal. We will forward it to our engineers for evaluation and see whether we can improve it in the future. Thank you so much for your understanding and support.
2022-10-27
Use props
Xtina143
lvl.1
Philippines

testing 101fhaeuhiewnctumeagojrgisjgilht843topwjto34iy024updibvtijyvopdskgvseye
2022-10-27
Use props
Xtina143
lvl.1
Philippines

Im not sure if my OA3 has a FOCUS issue.. XD. I took a short video 4k / 30fps / RS

[url=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgqKzifCrG4[/url]
2022-10-27
Use props
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-27 04:37
Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. Would you mind recording an original video for us? It would be really helpful for us if the video can show us the external mic is already under 0 db settings but the ultimate audio level is not so ideal. We will forward it to our engineers for evaluation and see whether we can improve it in the future. Thank you so much for your understanding and support.

I will try to get a video this weekend.  Just note that is isn't peaking the whole time or anything.  It's usable, but it is just very close to peaking most of the time, so there isn't a lot of headroom.  It would be very easy to have a slightly louder moment clip.  Which is why I'd prefer if there was a slightly lower gain option.
2022-10-28
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

BigTB Posted at 10-28 04:08
I will try to get a video this weekend.  Just note that is isn't peaking the whole time or anything.  It's usable, but it is just very close to peaking most of the time, so there isn't a lot of headroom.  It would be very easy to have a slightly louder moment clip.  Which is why I'd prefer if there was a slightly lower gain option.

Thank you for your cooperation and support! We will wait for your reply.
2022-10-28
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

With the use of Webcam when you  want to switch  FOV,I feel the    choices are too tight together and it becomes difficult  to  spin the wheel from Ultra wide to wide, or or Dewarp to wide, there  should be a little more room to  spin and land correctly  on wide which it misses . please adjust the  spin ratio to land from dewarp/ultra-wide to wide
2022-10-28
Use props
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-28 04:41
Thank you for your cooperation and support! We will wait for your reply.

DJI Wanda, I did some testing over the weekend.  I tested with a Sennheiser ME2 II and a Rode Lavalier.  The little microphone icon on the camera only flashed red for one brief moment with the Rode mic and I didn't notice any obvious clipping distortion in the audio, so maybe it didn't actually peak.  But considering the "action" nature of the camera, it would be nice to have a bit more headroom for louder sounds, shouts, etc.  Like I said, totally usable, but I'd personally prefer the ability to turn gain down a bit more.  Not a "problem," just a wish-list item.
Here are links to two quick tests.  
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... view?usp=share_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... view?usp=share_link
2022-10-31
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

If they can raise up, they can lower down to the - side the problem is they control what we get not us wanting
2022-10-31
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

BigTB Posted at 10-31 03:04
DJI Wanda, I did some testing over the weekend.  I tested with a Sennheiser ME2 II and a Rode Lavalier.  The little microphone icon on the camera only flashed red for one brief moment with the Rode mic and I didn't notice any obvious clipping distortion in the audio, so maybe it didn't actually peak.  But considering the "action" nature of the camera, it would be nice to have a bit more headroom for louder sounds, shouts, etc.  Like I said, totally usable, but I'd personally prefer the ability to turn gain down a bit more.  Not a "problem," just a wish-list item.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19kxM60OtMaT00wCvKX7t6mbr8-Oy6EES/view?usp=share_link

Thank you so much for your reply. Our engineers also pay attention to the issue you feed back. We have forwarded your post to them. We really appreciate your help.
2022-10-31
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

For Video, I would like the original Std. Dewarp/RS FOV of A2 and OA3 (pre-release firmware) back in OA3. It is wider than Std. Dewarp/RS in OA3. Maybe just give it another name. Could be Extended Dewarp...
Can only add to the versatility/flexibility of the camera and make even more attractive to some and more unique with respect to competition.

The 2 threads below explains more about these FOVs.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=275083
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=276988
2022-10-31
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

BigTB Posted at 10-31 03:04
DJI Wanda, I did some testing over the weekend.  I tested with a Sennheiser ME2 II and a Rode Lavalier.  The little microphone icon on the camera only flashed red for one brief moment with the Rode mic and I didn't notice any obvious clipping distortion in the audio, so maybe it didn't actually peak.  But considering the "action" nature of the camera, it would be nice to have a bit more headroom for louder sounds, shouts, etc.  Like I said, totally usable, but I'd personally prefer the ability to turn gain down a bit more.  Not a "problem," just a wish-list item.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19kxM60OtMaT00wCvKX7t6mbr8-Oy6EES/view?usp=share_link

HI BigTB.
Thanks for the feedback, we will consider the suggestion.

BTW, We tested the mic you are using and a Philips type-C to 3.5mm converter. The audio is not loud.
We bought a movo converter and wait for the shipment.
the audio gain may be raised by the converter. If so , the turn down thing should be solution to fit all these thirdparty converter.
2022-10-31
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

He found a solution for the mic

2022-11-1
Use props
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

I understand that an in-line volume control or db "pad" could work.  Heck, I could even use a less sensitive lav mic.  It's not a problem that ruins the camera or makes it unusable for me.  I just thought that since they have a mic level adjustment, it would be nice if they could allow it to adjust lower.  If this isn't possible for hardware reasons, or if it's just not practical, that's fine.  I just thought I'd throw it out there as a suggestion in case it was reasonably easy to do in a firmware update.
2022-11-1
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

BigTB Posted at 11-1 03:48
I understand that an in-line volume control or db "pad" could work.  Heck, I could even use a less sensitive lav mic.  It's not a problem that ruins the camera or makes it unusable for me.  I just thought that since they have a mic level adjustment, it would be nice if they could allow it to adjust lower.  If this isn't possible for hardware reasons, or if it's just not practical, that's fine.  I just thought I'd throw it out there as a suggestion in case it was reasonably easy to do in a firmware update.

I agree with you and there should not be a big issue making that in the volume control, just wonder why they didn't do that in first place. I see even Insta360 have it to -15 db or so on their cameras.
2022-11-1
Use props
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 11-1 04:13
I agree with you and there should not be a big issue making that in the volume control, just wonder why they didn't do that in first place. I see even Insta360 have it to -15 db or so on their cameras.

It could very well be a hardware issue.  There could be set, hardware pre-amp gain amount which equates to "0db" in the settings, and all the +db settings just apply software gain on top.  So it might not be practical to lower the gain further than 0 in the settings.  If that's the case, so be it, I suppose.  But if it is possible to allow a lower setting via a firmware update, I'd appreciate that option being added.
2022-11-1
Use props
djiuser_00Cgd7vkzGQB
lvl.1
Germany

Please add extended external mic input gain range as previously stated. The Insta360 One RS can do -18db to +6db. Perfect for in-helmet audio from a lavalier mic. No clipping issues at -18db.
2022-11-5
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

BigTB Posted at 11-1 04:18
It could very well be a hardware issue.  There could be set, hardware pre-amp gain amount which equates to "0db" in the settings, and all the +db settings just apply software gain on top.  So it might not be practical to lower the gain further than 0 in the settings.  If that's the case, so be it, I suppose.  But if it is possible to allow a lower setting via a firmware update, I'd appreciate that option being added.

HI BigTB
we added -12db on the latest firmware v01.02.10.10
Thanks for all your guys' help with making DJI OSMO Action3 better.
2022-12-2
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 12-2 06:20
HI BigTB
we added -12db on the latest firmware v01.02.10.10

Doesn’t the preamp have a limiter in order to stop it going into clipping? Normally, anything with auto gain would include something to stop it. Or do DJI assume that it works at maximum gain all of the time so theoretically, the mic can’t get to the top?

Most lavaliers are pretty sensitive and all of mine easily hit the top as well as my 'run 'n gun' mics. I have to hold them further away to lower the drive into the camera preamp which brings audio quality down.
2022-12-2
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Could we get rid of the LOCK on the front of the screen. so the front we can see .

thank you for adding the Db gain team
2022-12-3
Use props
LuanFronza
lvl.1

Brazil

I would like to have a "hindsight" like function, for fishing it would be ideal.
The camera creates a buffer of 15-30 seconds, and when you press the button it starts recording from that time already saved (31, 32..). That way you don't miss an important moment because you'll always be recording, in a fishing trip it's ideal, because you don't know when the fish will catch.
2022-12-3
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

LuanFronza Posted at 12-3 05:22
I would like to have a "hindsight" like function, for fishing it would be ideal.
The camera creates a buffer of 15-30 seconds, and when you press the button it starts recording from that time already saved (31, 32..). That way you don't miss an important moment because you'll always be recording, in a fishing trip it's ideal, because you don't know when the fish will catch.

That's what the Loop Recording function is for.

"Use Loop Recording when trying to capture a spontaneous moment (e.g., during fishing)."
--User manual page 8
2022-12-3
Use props
LuanFronza
lvl.1

Brazil

osmonauta Posted at 12-3 11:14
That's what the Loop Recording function is for.

"Use Loop Recording when trying to capture a spontaneous moment (e.g., during fishing)."

not the same.. "the camera records video by overwriting
older footage with new footage at selected intervals"
2022-12-5
Use props
CRAIGMART75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1543901 ft
  • >>>
United States

That would be Great
2022-12-21
Use props
armth26
lvl.1
Flight distance : 220013 ft
Philippines

DJI-ytao Posted at 2022-12-2 06:20
HI BigTB
we added -12db on the latest firmware v01.02.10.10

Hi DJI-ytao! Thanks for this feature update. But just wanted to let you know, using the Boya BY-XM4 USB-C to 3.5mm mic converter, I've tried four different lavs and the signal is still too hot at -12db, without any headroom for wind noise inside a helmet. On the highway the sound is totally unusable. I can send a sample if you need to hear it.

If this won't be updated again via the firmware any time soon, would it be possible to ask your recommendation for a mic adapter that you've tested doesn't have such a hot signal? Thank you.
2023-1-11
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

armth26 Posted at 1-11 08:42
Hi DJI-ytao! Thanks for this feature update. But just wanted to let you know, using the Boya BY-XM4 USB-C to 3.5mm mic converter, I've tried four different lavs and the signal is still too hot at -12db, without any headroom for wind noise inside a helmet. On the highway the sound is totally unusable. I can send a sample if you need to hear it.

If this won't be updated again via the firmware any time soon, would it be possible to ask your recommendation for a mic adapter that you've tested doesn't have such a hot signal? Thank you.

BOYA BY-K4 is what I use.
But I see (or actually hear) when I use a BOYA lavmic the sound will get really boosted, but with any cheap lavmic for ebay it works better.

But I haven't tested with this newest firmware so not sure how my BOYA will work with -12
2023-1-11
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 2022-11-1 04:13
I agree with you and there should not be a big issue making that in the volume control, just wonder why they didn't do that in first place. I see even Insta360 have it to -15 db or so on their cameras.

Insta360 X3 actually has -18db gain in-built.  Paired with the Rode wireless -20db gain ensures almost no wind noise in super extremely windy conditions.  You get amazingly clear audio no matter what.

DJI should drop the in-built -db gain further if some users are still experiencing audio clipping and distortion with external mics that do not have their own -db controls like the Rode wireless or DJI wireless mic sets.  Not everyone has the funds or wherewithal to hook up and use wireless audio in quick setup situations that matter like in windy Hawaii.
6D0E61CB-42C8-48AB-9E4E-EC823BA68FD6.jpeg
2023-1-11
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

10-Bit Posted at 1-11 18:09
Insta360 X3 actually has -18db gain in-built.  Paired with the Rode wireless -20db gain ensures almost no wind noise in super extremely windy conditions.  You get amazingly clear audio no matter what.

DJI should drop the in-built -db gain further if some users are still experiencing audio clipping and distortion with external mics that do not have their own -db controls like the Rode wireless or DJI wireless mic sets.  Not everyone has the funds or wherewithal to hook up and use wireless audio in quick setup situations that matter like in windy Hawaii.

What I can recommend is using an external recorder.
Zoom H1 is cheap and good + have low cut filter (wind reduction)
2023-1-12
Use props
armth26
lvl.1
Flight distance : 220013 ft
Philippines

10-Bit Posted at 1-11 18:09

DJI should drop the in-built -db gain further if some users are still experiencing audio clipping and distortion with external mics that do not have their own -db controls like the Rode wireless or DJI wireless mic sets.  Not everyone has the funds or wherewithal to hook up and use wireless audio in quick setup situations that matter like in windy Hawaii.[Image]

I second this!

Apparently there are some wired lav mics that will work but it’s bit of a crapshoot figuring out which ones do. And the external recorder suggestion above, while it will work, isn’t viable for a motovlogging setup. The wireless solution too isn’t ideal. I would venture to guess some of the most concerned owners of the Action 3 when it comes to the gain issue are motovloggers. Really hope they fix this, I was really surprised it was a concern because it was never a problem on GoPros and the Insta360 One RS.
2023-1-13
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 1-12 00:16
What I can recommend is using an external recorder.
Zoom H1 is cheap and good + have low cut filter (wind reduction)

We used external recorders in the past - but found the audio editing an extra step wasting precious time in post.  Having burnt in - at source - clean stereo audio is such a pleasure to work with.  Most times we just set for the prevailing wind conditions and shoot without a thought.  No clipping.  Perfect sound.  No audio editing in post.

If -12db is not enough of a reduction - then DJI should reduce gain even further.  Users should not have to resort to additional audio products to get excellent sound.  We needed the thinner Rode as the X3 is designed to use this vs the fatter DJI.
2023-1-13
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

10-Bit Posted at 1-13 14:20
We used external recorders in the past - but found the audio editing an extra step wasting precious time in post.  Having burnt in - at source - clean stereo audio is such a pleasure to work with.  Most times we just set for the prevailing wind conditions and shoot without a thought.  No clipping.  Perfect sound.  No audio editing in post.

If -12db is not enough of a reduction - then DJI should reduce gain even further.  Users should not have to resort to additional audio products to get excellent sound.  We needed the thinner Rode as the X3 is designed to use this vs the fatter DJI.

I totally agree with you, since it takes more time while editing + when shooting.

Think I need to test out if -12 is enoug for my setup.
2023-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules